Menu

Based on this information, which would you choose?

Based solely on the information provided, which would you choose?  

1. 1. Based solely on the information provided, which would you choose?

• Exhibit A
    • Exhibit B
    • Obligatory Other

Based solely on nutritional information and ingredient list, not taste, which would you choose?

Please wait for the poll! ;)

Exhibit A

70% Dark

Ingredients: Chocolate Liquor, Raw Cane Sugar, Cocoa Butter, Soy Lecithin (emulsifier), Vanilla Extract, Whole Milk Powder.

Serving Size: 40 g

Calories: 240

Total Fat: 17

Total Carb: 19

Dietary Fiber: 4

Sugars: 12g

Protein: 3g

Calcium 2%

Iron: 40%

Exhibit B

72% Dark

Ingredients: Unsweetened chocolate, sugar, cocoa butter, vanilla, soy lecithin -- an emulsifier.

Serving Size: 38g

Calories: 200

Total Fat: 17g

Total Carb: 17

Sugars: 10g

Protein: 2g

Calcium 2%

Iron: 15%

Edited by MomOfOneFunOne

The reason I ask is this . . .

I often have a cup of hot chocolate in the afternoon. I like to make it by shaving a square of chocolate into my cup or the little pot, pour in the milk, heat, drink, rejoice! I often use Exhibit A b/c I'm also anemic and one little cup of cocoa will give me 10% of RDA for iron. On the other hand, I like the ingredients list of Exhibit B better. Yet, I only get about 5% of my iron.

See, chocolate is a necessary supplent for my condition. Really. And I want to choose the best one for, ahem, my condition. That's that big chunk of iron. Still, the other is a nicer list . . .

hmmmm . . .

IIRC (and I might not be -- it's been a while since we took the Hershey "how they make chocolate" tour ride, though we probably average doing it a couple of times a year), the chocolate liquor is just part of the chocolate, so I am thinking it's just included where it says "unsweetened chocolate." I'm thinking that for hot chocolate, the milk powder is going to give a richer, fuller taste as well.

The reason I ask is this . . .

I often have a cup of hot chocolate in the afternoon. I like to make it by shaving a square of chocolate into my cup or the little pot, pour in the milk, heat, drink, rejoice! I often use Exhibit A b/c I'm also anemic and one little cup of cocoa will give me 10% of RDA for iron. On the other hand, I like the ingredients list of Exhibit B better. Yet, I only get about 5% of my iron.

See, chocolate is a necessary supplent for my condition. Really. And I want to choose the best one for, ahem, my condition. That's that big chunk of iron. Still, the other is a nicer list . . .

hmmmm . . .

For your condition, I'd go with A, and not fret. I don't think the ingredients for A are bad, but the one I'd prefer over B, given all other things are equal. Since they are not equal, don't fret - drink the chocolate liquor. :D

IIRC (and I might not be -- it's been a while since we took the Hershey "how they make chocolate" tour ride, though we probably average doing it a couple of times a year), the chocolate liquor is just part of the chocolate, so I am thinking it's just included where it says "unsweetened chocolate." I'm thinking that for hot chocolate, the milk powder is going to give a richer, fuller taste as well.

You bunch of lushes! It's not likker liquor! It's liquid chocolate, I'm guessing.

:lol::lol::lol:

You are killing me . . . that would be an interesting chocolate bar! mmmmm and good for what ails me!

Well, my answer was going to be that it depended whether the person consuming was in need of more dietary iron. OTOH, my recollection is that dairy inhibits iron absorption (I'd have to look it up to be certain), so hot chocolate may not be the best way to address the iron need anyway (though that doesn't stop me :D).

That's what I thought too.:)

You bunch of lushes! It's not likker liquor! It's liquid chocolate, I'm guessing.

:lol::lol::lol:

You are killing me . . . that would be an interesting chocolate bar! mmmmm and good for what ails me!

LOL - yep - that's exactly what it is - unsweetened chocolate in liquid form.

B. Less fake food. the liquor can be a fake food, it truly depends on each company what they are calling "chocolate liquor". Adding milk solids is never a great thing...usually containing oxidized cholesterol. So all else being equal, I would go for B. But really....right now, chocolate sounds about perfect in any way it might come! =)

So what explains the difference in iron? 40% is huge!

Based solely on nutritional information and ingredient list, not taste, which would you choose?

Please wait for the poll! ;)

Exhibit A

70% Dark

Ingredients: Chocolate Liquor, Raw Cane Sugar, Cocoa Butter, Soy Lecithin (emulsifier), Vanilla Extract, Whole Milk Powder.

Serving Size: 40 g

Calories: 240

Total Fat: 17

Total Carb: 19

Sugars: 12g

Protein: 3g

Calcium 2%

Iron: 40%

Exhibit B

72% Dark

Ingredients: Unsweetened chocolate, sugar, cocoa butter, vanilla, soy lecithin -- an emulsifier.

Serving Size: 38g

Calories: 200

Total Fat: 17g

Total Carb: 17

Sugars: 10g

Protein: 2g

Calcium 2%

Iron: 15%