Menu

So my aunt gave me a cast iron skillet . . .

. . . and I have no idea how to cook with it! She said something about "seasoning it?!?!" and that I shouldn't use too much soap and water on it?! SO . . . how does one cook with a skillet and clean it without using soap and water?!? Is it REALLY that much better to use an iron skillet than the non-stick stuff I'm used to?! (SIDENOTE: I am NOT that into cooking anyway, so please be gentle! :001_huh:)

Thanks!

Ok- I'm definitely not the most experienced cook either, but I grew up where everyone used cast iron and so do I. I was taught never to use soap. After washing in water, I dry it completely on low heat on the stove top and then I lightly wipe it out with a little oil.

It will get "seasoned" as you use it and by the light oiling you give it after cleaning. Hope that helps:001_smile:

Is it brand new, or used? If it's new, it might be seasoned already (and hopefully it has instructions on it which will indicate that). If it's used, it could be seasoned and ready to go. Or it may have signs of rust, which you'll need to remove, and then re-season before use.

Dutch Oven Care (this will apply to other cast iron pieces as well)

Also, if you have a smooth top stove, be very, very careful, or your cast iron pot will scratch it. I think cast iron works better with a gas stove or electric coil.

Edited by gardening momma

I love my cast iron! I am not the best cook either. But I do prefer the cast iron pans I have.

I'm sure you can find better people than me to ask about seasoning. I do use a tiny drop of soap with water and a stiff brush to wash. Of course my dh insists on soaking everything all the time even though they don't need it at all and are fairly non-stick. (He also soaks our non-stick pans. Guess I can't complain since at least he is doing the dishes!) After they are finally washed, I generally wipe on a bit of oil and heat it. The seasoning is still great even with the little bit of soap and occasional soak.

If there are directions that came with it, follow those.

Otherwise, typically you scrub the protective factory cover off, rub oil into the pan and then bake a bit. For the first several times you use it, cook with a bunch of oil. Food will be prone to stick. I got a new cast iron skillet at Christmas. It took about 4-5 weeks to really build up seasoning. Now it is FABULOUS to cook with.

Don't use soap. Scrub with hot water and a scrubby sponge or scrubber brush. I know it's kinda of freaky thinking about germs, but they will all burn off. :) When you are done, dry it very well, and then either spray it with pan spray or rub a little oil into it.

Cast iron really, really is better than non-stick.

1. It's not carcinogenic

2. It cooks VERY evenly and retains heat well

3. Flavor is *so* much better. My stir fries & fajitas are better in texture as well.

4. A skillet, well cared for, will last well beyond your lifetime. I used to replace my other skillets every 3-4 years due to warping or damage.

I love cast iron skillets! You can use it for anything, and I love making cobblers in them.

We do not clean ours with soap. I rinse it with hot water and scrape off crusty stuff with a plastic scraper. Then I dry it out on low heat on the stove and coal it with a thin layer of canola oil.

Have fun with it!

I cook almost exclusively with cast iron. I also wash my pans with hot water (no soap), and then I dry them out with a dish towel and set them on the stove on low heat for a minute or two to be sure they're completely dry. The plastic scrapers work great on them! I have some that I've bought from Pampered Chef parties and they're my favorite tools for cleaning the cast iron skillets.

Is it brand new, or used? If it's new, it might be seasoned already (and hopefully it has instructions on it which will indicate that). If it's used, it could be seasoned and ready to go. Or it may have signs of rust, which you'll need to remove, and then re-season before use.

Dutch Oven Care (this will apply to other cast iron pieces as well)

Also, if you have a smooth top stove, be very, very careful, or your cast iron pot will scratch it. I think cast iron works better with a gas stove or electric coil.

First, THANK YOU ALL! So helpful, as always. :001_smile:

It is used, so no directions. Thankfully, no rust either, so that is a plus! Looks like my aunt started the seasoning process already - it LOOKS used, if you know what I mean. ;)

THANK YOU for the tip about my smooth cooktop - DH would have been a bit peeved with the scratching that I am SURE I would have caused. Whew!

Okay, now I'm pretty excited to start cooking with this monstrosity!

I'm a great cook, and cast iron is awesome.

When you cook with non-stick some of that coating comes off and ends up inside you and your family members. This stuff is proving to be worrisome.

When cast iron scrapes off one get an essential nutrient (iron) in their diet.

Enjoy!

Bill

Another cast iron lover here. And just a note from my little kitchen: I rarely, if ever, season with oil after cleaning. We use a pan, wash it with hot water and a scrubby, dry it briefly on a burner, and then it sits there until the next time we use it. And they are all non-stick, non-rust pans in great condition. I have one pretty large skillet (can make a dinner for all in it), 2 medium skillets, 2 medium-small skillets, and two small skillets (for frying an egg). I've also started picking up extras when I see them at thrift stores, for our girls' hope chests.

Funny timing! I just unearthed my cast iron pans from the attic this weekend. I stored them away because of my ceramic cooktop. When I rediscovered them, though, I researched that issue some more and decided I could risk using one of my pans because it's perfectly smooth on the bottom and fits the burner size just right. I've been using it this whole week, and I am in love again! I plan to use the other pan (originally my grandmother's and not smooth on the bottom) in our oven or outside on the grill. Both pans still looked good when I found them, but I did a quick reseason, anyway, just in case. I coated them with a thin layer of shortening and baked them in the oven for 3 hrs.

I would take cast iron over other non-stick options any day. I just hope when I'm old, I'll still be able to lift them. :001_smile:

Congrats on your pan! Hope you enjoy it . . .

Another cast iron lover! I grew up with it, so I really don't even like using other types of cookware. I don't oil after every use either, just when needed. Some of mine need it more than others, and some never do. Depends on what I cook in them mostly. And I do use soap sometimes. I have tons, including corn cob pans, grill pan, ebelskiver (sp?), baked apple pans, etc etc. They're so great! Enjoy yours.

I absolutely love my cast iron collection! Even if it is new and comes pre-seasoned, I still scrub that off. I would use soap just that one time, then wipe it dry, and coat it with a light layer of lard or coconut oil; then bake it in the oven for a few hours at around 300*. Every time after that, I just rinse it with hot water, using a stiff brush if need be, then wipe it dry. After several uses, it will be beautifully non-stick, but soap will destroy that.

Wow - you all are making me think I should go back to cooking with cast iron! I grew up using cast iron exclusively. When I got married, I quit using them for one reason only: they are just too heavy and my wrists too weak. So I have a couple skillets hanging as decoration because I can't bear to part with them . . . If my wrists would cooperate, I would use them again, but I am *afraid* of dropping them when they are hot and filled with food. Really, my wrists are not reliable with weight, even things lighter than cast iron . . .

Cast Iron is so wonderful. In a well-seasoned pan almost nothing sticks anymore.

Not to mention you and your family will not eat teflon.

I seasoned mine with coconut oil. You fire it up in the stove to the max temp allowable for the skillet. Perhaps check first if your skillet is not pre-seasoned already. Many are nowadays, especially Lodge.

If you want to PM me your e-mail, I can e-mail you back complete instructions.

Congratulations! This is an item that will last FOREVER. You can bequeath it to your children. :lol:

Cast iron pans are great!

You get a brown plastic scraper with each stoneware piece you purchase. Stoneware is another "season it and don't use soap" item.

I have a new stoneware muffin pan, and it is dishwasher safe. You first run hot water on it and scrape off any pieces. It cleans very easily and is supposed to become more and more nonstick with use. It's by Hartstone, and I'm already a fan because it's made in the USA by a US owned company.

Nonstick pans such as Teflon are horrid. I quit using the one I was given years ago long before the stories started coming out because I hated the fact that you can't soak it (I didnt need to soak cast iron, which I got after that), you can't use it above medium (and even thats dangerous), etc.

Would anyone like to share a preferred brand name? My Lodge dutch oven, small skillet and griddle work wonderfully, but the medium-sized skillet does not heat evenly - it's colder around the edges and doesn't cook well there compared to the area directly over the gas heat. It was inexpensive, and it shows :glare:. I find it hard to get back into using my cast iron when that particular size, a mainstay for me, isn't working well. One day I'd like to buy a nicer one.

Also, I'm not the best at seasoning - what form of oil/grease do you prefer? e.g. Canola oil, vegetable oil, shortening, etc.?

Would anyone like to share a preferred brand name? My Lodge dutch oven, small skillet and griddle work wonderfully, but the medium-sized skillet does not heat evenly - it's colder around the edges and doesn't cook well there compared to the area directly over the gas heat. It was inexpensive, and it shows :glare:. I find it hard to get back into using my cast iron when that particular size, a mainstay for me, isn't working well. One day I'd like to buy a nicer one.

Also, I'm not the best at seasoning - what form of oil/grease do you prefer? e.g. Canola oil, vegetable oil, shortening, etc.?

Hmmm, my stuff is all Lodge (well, one skillet is Bass Pro Shop's brand, but similar to Lodge), and it works beautifully. I do notice that my really huge skillet (15", about 13" across the actual bottom surface) does not get as hot around the edges, but that's because my burner only goes to 12". I am wondering if it's not your skillet but your burner -- maybe the burner isn't big enough for the skillet, or maybe the burner doesn't heat evenly itself?

For seasoning, I strongly prefer coconut oil or non-hydrogenated lard (preferably that which I rendered myself), with extra virgin olive oil being a second choice. For general cooking/frying, once it's seasoned, I'll also use real butter, or one of the other three.

Wow! Y'all baby your cast iron.

I use soap and stealwool on mine if it needs it - eggs stuck to the side. I dry it in the dish drain and let it sit there until I put it away. I use it every single day. Sometimes more than once.

The only thing I won't do is put it in a dishwasher.;)

My pieces: 12 inch skillet, chicken fryer, corn bread/scone pan, 6 inch skillet. I'm on the look out for a dutch oven, but really don't need it since the chicken fryer holds so much.

Wow! Y'all baby your cast iron.

I use soap and stealwool on mine if it needs it - eggs stuck to the side. I dry it in the dish drain and let it sit there until I put it away. I use it every single day. Sometimes more than once.

The only thing I won't do is put it in a dishwasher.;)

My pieces: 12 inch skillet, chicken fryer, corn bread/scone pan, 6 inch skillet. I'm on the look out for a dutch oven, but really don't need it since the chicken fryer holds so much.

Ha! Another person admits to using soap on their cast iron! I feel vindicated!

Carrie - Who is the manufacturer? I use Griswold iron pots and pans and some of them are very, VERY valuable. A #2 or #14 or #20 can sell for over a thousand on eBay. I am sure you are not planning on selling it - but if it is valuable then it is good to know :) If it is already seasoned then a mild soap won't hurt it - but really, a good swipe with a paper towel and/or a rinse and dry and a swipe with oil is about all mine need. You can find many videos on YouTube on how to season a cast iron pan.

Would anyone like to share a preferred brand name?

Wapiti - I only cook with antique Griswold. The were in business from around 1865 to around 1955 - something around there. Anyway, when they sold out - they sold out to another big name - I forget who and that new company used the same equipment, but put a different logo on their pans. So, since they stopped making them so long ago, I consider all Griswolds antique :001_smile: Now some are older- slant logo or spider web logo is REALLY old. Block font logo Griswolds are not as old. The thing with Griswolds in that they are really, REALLY good quality. I know there are other good quality cast iron pans out there - but I know I will never be disappointed in Griswold. You can get a #8 (around 9 inch pan) for about $20 or less if you look around. I have found rare Griswold pans for cheap, and sold them for a large profit, to get the other Griswold pans I really wanted.

About oils, different oils burn at different temps - so I would recommend an oil that had a high temp burn tolerance.Here is a chart:

http://tinyurl.com/6gxoe35

Hope this helps!

Carrie - Who is the manufacturer? I use Griswold iron pots and pans and some of them are very, VERY valuable. A #2 or #14 or #20 can sell for over a thousand on eBay. I am sure you are not planning on selling it - but if it is valuable then it is good to know :) If it is already seasoned then a mild soap won't hurt it - but really, a good swipe with a paper towel and/or a rinse and dry and a swipe with oil is about all mine need. You can find many videos on YouTube on how to season a cast iron pan.

Have you found this article on ERIE cast iron skillets by Griswold? Interesting. :)

I love cooking with cast iron! I don't use soap in mine, but like others have said, I use the brown scraper from PC. If it's really yucky, I clean with salt, water, and a cloth. I initially season with lard several times, and I never put it away wet. If you season it several times and use it often, it won't stick. The older ones are wonderful. If you happen across an older one that is rusted, then soak it in Coke. It may take awhile, but all the rust will eventually dissolve. I love cooking with cast iron!