Menu

Singapore Math ??

katnorman

Bumping up to find out if the HIGs (Home Instructor Guides) are worth it. I did plan to research this week in more depth to hear what people say, but it would be handy to find out here.

You definitely need the HIGs because the teaching of new concepts is explained in the HIGs. The textbook and workbook just have the exercises you do after you learn how to do them through the HIG.....if that makes any sense.:tongue_smilie:

When you refer to needing the HIGs are you using U.S. or Standard (Standards?) Edition? I've heard that the HIGs for U.S. are worthless . . . but I'd like to hear more. Two of my kiddos are beginning Singapore U.S. Edition. Figuring out Singapore makes my head spin but I'm working on it!! :001_smile:

I didn't need the home instructors guide until fourth grade. It might be nice to have for 1st grade but I wouldn't call it necessary. I mean, it is just first grade math.

I have the 3rd us edition of the whole series and I have the HIG for years 4, 5 and 6. I wouldn't call them 'useless' by any means. I find them very helpful.

If you have any specific questions, Singapore has a forum on their site. The woman who wrote the HIGs is the mod. She is very helpful and does try to answer all questions. There is also a lot to be learned by just reading the forums.

When you refer to needing the HIGs are you using U.S. or Standard (Standards?) Edition? I've heard that the HIGs for U.S. are worthless . . . but I'd like to hear more. Two of my kiddos are beginning Singapore U.S. Edition. Figuring out Singapore makes my head spin but I'm working on it!! :001_smile:

I use US Ed and find the HIGs very helpful!

We're using the US edition of 1st grade now. I have 1a workbook & textbook, then 1b w&t. No hig. A few people said to get the hig for 1b, but I have an answer book that came with the set, if needed. For first grade math, it doesn't seem to need the hig, to me. For second grade, I'll get it. I'm not a mathy person either.

I do supplement singapore though. I've used some of Math mammoth sheets, some spiderman fact sheets, and we use those flash cards. This way I know where ds is getting stuck.

You do need counting things, like blogs, beads, bears etc. And scale near the end of 1a. We've used the fruit on the table for counting, action figures, blocks-pretty much whatever is around.

Hmmm... both dd6 and I are good at math, so I might wait for the HIGs until year 3. I suppose if I have issues teaching, I'll pick them up right away. I decided to use the Standards Edition. We'll be supplementing with Math Mammoth and using Khan Academy now and then.

A few people said to get the hig for 1b, but I have an answer book that came with the set, if needed. For first grade math, it doesn't seem to need the hig, to me.

I haven't yet used the HIG for the answers (we are presently in 2A) but rather, for the explanations of how various concepts should be taught and why they are presented the way they are in the materials. Speaking only for myself, if I did not have the HIGs, I would have just taught the textbook and workbooks the way I learned math, which -- as I realize over and over again -- was definitely not the Singapore way.

YMMV, of course.

Edited by JennyD

Hmmm... both dd6 and I are good at math, so I might wait for the HIGs until year 3. I suppose if I have issues teaching, I'll pick them up right away. I decided to use the Standards Edition. We'll be supplementing with Math Mammoth and using Khan Academy now and then.

Ds6 and I are also very mathy and I find them useful (starting at PM 2...didn't need it for 1). I tutor advanced high school and college math so teaching math comes easily to me. The key for me is that I didn't learn arithmetic the Singapore way so it is a good guide for me to teach my ds correctly. The Signapore method is definitely superior to the way I learned.

Thanks for the extra advice, keep it coming, I'm listening. :)

Okay, I'll start getting the HIG for PM 2. I'm only getting 1B (if that) anyway. We're using RightStart so we've already started conceptualizing math in a new light.

I don't use HIG. My ds8.1 is finishing up 3B. I do have 4A, 4B HIG because I got the lot used at $3 each. So I will look through it before I teach and see what I can use from it. I have been able to teach from just the textbook very easily.

So I think you don't absolutely need HIG.

We us the US edition and I find the HIGs very helpful. I didn't have it for my first when we went through 1A and 1B. I started using them in 2A. Then, I went back and got the HIGs for 1 for my 2nd time through. If nothing else, they help me plan out what to do each day. And, they are there as a reference when one of the kids needs me to explain a section from the text in a different way.

If you are mathy , HIG's are not necessary . You get very intuitive looking at the textbooks only .

I'd save the money and buy the intensive practice and CWP instead. For grades 3&up , I'd consider buying the HIG's but only if using SM as the main or only math.

I would buy the HIG's if you are not a math person or if your child needs a lot of extra practice and you are not creative enough to invent games .

If you are mathy , HIG's are not necessary . You get very intuitive looking at the textbooks only .

I'd save the money and buy the intensive practice and CWP instead. For grades 3&up , I'd consider buying the HIG's but only if using SM as the main or only math.

I would buy the HIG's if you are not a math person or if your child needs a lot of extra practice and you are not creative enough to invent games .

See, that surprises me, because my DH is a math Ph.D and he still doesn't think to explain things in quite the same way that Singapore does. I suppose it's possible that he would if he spent more time with the materials, though.

Of course, as he likes to remind me whenever he makes a basic arithmetical mistake, he doesn't use *numbers* in his work. ( Insert eyeroll from me here.)

Edited by JennyD

See, that surprises me, because my DH is a math Ph.D and he still doesn't think to explain things in quite the same way that Singapore does. I suppose it's possible that he would if he spent more time with the materials, though.

Of course, as he likes to remind me whenever he makes a basic arithmetical mistake, he doesn't use *numbers* in his work. ( Insert eyeroll from me here.)

I am a mathy person. I got an accounting degree a few years back just for the heck of it and I agree that without the HIGs I would have taught the math in a different manner. I would say, unless you are 100% on board with the Singapore method you still need them. The workbooks and textbook don't have in depth explanations of how you are supposed to teach the problems. The point is to teach the Singapore way and IMO you may miss some important steps of how to teach certain concepts without the HIGs.

I am a mathy person. I got an accounting degree a few years back just for the heck of it and I agree that without the HIGs I would have taught the math in a different manner. I would say, unless you are 100% on board with the Singapore method you still need them. The workbooks and textbook don't have in depth explanations of how you are supposed to teach the problems. The point is to teach the Singapore way and IMO you may miss some important steps of how to teach certain concepts without the HIGs.

I agree. Another competent math person here ( engineering degree). Let's face it, 1st and 2nd grade math isn't complicated. I don't need an answer manual. But when I try to teach without the HIG, I teach it traditional American.... Not Singaporian. ( I know I totally made up that word, but couldn't think of the right one.):D

I agree. Another competent math person here ( engineering degree). Let's face it, 1st and 2nd grade math isn't complicated. I don't need an answer manual. But when I try to teach without the HIG, I teach it traditional American.... Not Singaporian. ( I know I totally made up that word, but couldn't think of the right one.):D

Well , to tell the truth, I was schooled in Europe all the way . Not sure if it was the Singaporian way , but both Singapore math and CLE ( which is I assume tradtional American) gave my son a very good understanding (and love!) for math . I couldn't do it without both of them though ,they complete each other .

Same here.

My advice is to get the "Standards Edition" Textbook and Workbooks and the corresponding Home Instructors Guide (HIG).

I would also strongly consider getting the Intensive Practice books of the sqme level from the US Edition series. They are more challenging than the Workbooks and can potentially be done "behind" if too difficult.

I would also get the Challenging Word Problem book (CWP), which is often done "behind" by a year to half-a-year.

This would be a complete package.

Bill

Have you seen the HIGs or tried using them yourself?

I can't see how anyone who has experience using the HIGs could not say they are a critical component of the program. Without them, you might as well be using any old workbook.

I have HIGs for US and they are NOT worthless. They include scheduling information, all the lessons, teaching strategies, example problems, all the mental math sheets.I know the order of the content is a little different between US and Standard, but otherwise I don't think they're that different.

IMG_3272.jpg

I can't see how anyone who has experience using the HIGs could not say they are a critical component of the program. Without them, you might as well be using any old workbook.

I completely 100% agree. I wonder if those who say it's not necessary, have not bought or used them?

For instance we are in 1B and today we are learning multiplication. The textbook showed 2 groups of 6 and then a boy thinking 6 + 6 and then a space for the student to write the answer. But the HIG gave about 5 different activities for teaching and reinforcing this concept. The HIG instruction was the meat of the lesson. The scheduling information is invaluable as well. With the HIG, you know what constitutes a lesson so you don't have to try to figure out which textbook pages go with which workbook pages and it also gives you a framework so you know the goals and concepts you are working on.

It also tells you when you should be sure to know the facts before moving on (I've noticed a few people posting here with issues later in the program because they never stopped to cement these before moving on), and includes mental math worksheets, etc.

Above is a photo of the HIG which I posted in another thread, but thought I'd share here as well.

Edited by Cindyz

Thanks Bill, that was the push I needed.

Ordered, woohoo! Got Primary Math Standards 1B Textbook, Workbook and HIG. IP from US 1A and 1B. Already have CWP 1.

One more bit of unsolicited advice :D

Try to keep math a "three legged stool." Huh?

1) Keep up the activities, games, approaches from RS that you liked, and play with the ideas from the Singapore HIGs (that can be adapted and translated to other manipulatives if you prefer C Rods, or base-10 blocks, or the AL Abacus over the "linking cubes" suggested in the HIG). And real life elements. Grocery shopping is great "math time."

2) I try to make the Textbook time very interactive. We talk about the concepts, I prod and question, help where needed, often act as scrib when the aim is "mental math." Very one-on-one.

3) Workbook time I try to make as independent work as possible. I'm there to clear up questions, but otherwise this is his chance to show what he knows.

This type approach keeps Singapore from just being "workbooks" and is really the way this program is intended to be used. And I know it is what you and Satori would do naturally in any case.

Bill

I have HIGs for US and they are NOT worthless. They include scheduling information, all the lessons, teaching strategies, example problems, all the mental math sheets.I know the order of the content is a little different between US and Standard, but otherwise I don't think they're that different.

Have you seen the HIG's for the Stds. ed.? They are WAY more detailed than the U.S. ed. HIG's. I used the U.S. ed. for 3A/B and then switched to the Stds. ed. at 4A because of the HIG's. The U.S. ed. HIG's tended to have 1/2 to 3/4 page per section and I didn't find the teaching hints all that helpful. Whereas the Stds. ed. HIG's tend to have 2-3 pages per section and a LOT more handholding for the teacher.

I would still get the HIG's for the U.S. edition if I were going to teach the U.S. edition components. But for someone deciding between the two editions, the majorly improved HIG's make it worth going with the Stds. edition IMHO.

Sure , I have 1 , 2 and 3 Hig's but have not used them much. I would not say they are useless , but they are not necessary for someone who is math minded. I did not see anything different in the way they teach math than I do ... except for the games. They do have very good games and I am not creative at all . For me they were still worth , just for the games.

Maybe it has to do with the fact that I was schooled in Europe? Maybe our math was presented in a different way than US ? Or maybe it has to do with the fact that I am a right brainer ? Not sure , but for grades 1-3 , there is nothing special about SM that one cannot teach without the HIG's . Just my opinion of course :)

Is there more love for the Standards Edition? Hmmmmm. I'm trying to puzzle through it. I read the FAQ on Singapore's site and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference . . . what differences there are sound small.:confused:

I tried searching for a thread comparing the two editions (people's experiences rather than what is described on the Singapore site) but came up short.

What edition do you prefer and why? I do see that it's pretty easy to use U.S. in the beginning and then switch over as long as it's not too late into the elementary years (based on what Singapore's site says).

As far as the HIGs are concerned I'm hearing all kinds of different things. I think I'd have to purchase one and see for myself whether or not I like it or need it.

I'm enjoying all of these math threads. :001_smile:

For instance we are in 1B and today we are learning multiplication...

We just did that last week! And ditto to what you said... the HIG is absolutely essential in our opinion (FWIW, I have a B.S. in Math / Math Education [secondary]). My wife sticks to the plan in the HIG and spends 30-60 minutes a day on instruction, with almost all that time spent on HIG concepts and reinforcement activities (or similar games/activities we make up on our own to supplement). The textbook just covers the visual aspect of the Singapore Method, and the HIG helps you transition to the abstract. We also use the Mental Math sheets heavily in the back, photocopying them for when she does written work.

Also, workbook may be sufficient for passing standardized tests, but we feel CWP and IP are essential to developing critical thinking skills needed to excel.

In short, TB + WB + HIG + CWP + IP = win.

(We're switching to Stds edition as of 2A because US 2A switches to the less desirable HIG format, plus we prefer the more aggressive syllabus.)

I use standard version. for 1st to 2nd grade there is not much differenence, and the difference start getting wider and wider and for 5/6 grade, I think standard has quite a lot more than US version.

Is there more love for the Standards Edition? Hmmmmm. I'm trying to puzzle through it. I read the FAQ on Singapore's site and there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference . . . what differences there are sound small.:confused:

I tried searching for a thread comparing the two editions (people's experiences rather than what is described on the Singapore site) but came up short.

What edition do you prefer and why? I do see that it's pretty easy to use U.S. in the beginning and then switch over as long as it's not too late into the elementary years (based on what Singapore's site says).

As far as the HIGs are concerned I'm hearing all kinds of different things. I think I'd have to purchase one and see for myself whether or not I like it or need it.

I'm enjoying all of these math threads. :001_smile:

I use standard version. for 1st to 2nd grade there is not much differenence, and the difference start getting wider and wider and for 5/6 grade, I think standard has quite a lot more than US version.

jennynd,

Thanks for sharing.:001_smile:

I spent a bit of time reading through Singapore's FAQ page comparing U.S. and Standards. I *think* that if we continue with Singapore I'll shift to Standards beginning with 3A. Acc. to Singapore's site that should be no problem :001_smile:. I feel very comfy teaching Singapore through 2B (U.S. is what we're starting) on my own but will likely employ HIGs beginning with 3A (Standards).

I'm still feeling topsy turvy about math so will continue to enjoy all of these lovely math discussions, many involving Singapore! I am learning so much.

jennynd,

I spent a bit of time reading through Singapore's FAQ page comparing U.S. and Standards. I *think* that if we continue with Singapore I'll shift to Standards beginning with 3A. Acc. to Singapore's site that should be no problem :001_smile:. I feel very comfy teaching Singapore through 2B (U.S. is what we're starting) on my own but will likely employ HIGs beginning with 3A (Standards).

I'm still feeling topsy turvy about math so will continue to enjoy all of these lovely math discussions, many involving Singapore! I am learning so much.

The big difference is the HIGs are supposed to be highly improved in the SE. I have only seen the SE versions, and while I have a lot of opinions on things that may (or may not match) 100% with those in the HIGs, I think they are pretty darn good, and they are something parents who don't have a very good grasp of the Singapore Model are highly advised to use. Singapore is a great program for how it slowly builds a whole structure, but one should not start with a bad foundation just because it "looks easy."

Bill

now more not necesary means necessary. I choice STD just because it is line up with the normal state curriculum and since my kids are not homeschooler (I afterschool ) I pick STD. There are topics I do feel redundant or just silly to have. There are a lot more reviews. and topic get repeated in the next year. which seems US version didn't have that. So pick one u think best suit your child, either one is great program

jennynd,

The big difference is the HIGs are supposed to be highly improved in the SE. I have only seen the SE versions, and while I have a lot of opinions on things that may (or may not match) 100% with those in the HIGs, I think they are pretty darn good, and they are something parents who don't have a very good grasp of the Singapore Model are highly advised to use. Singapore is a great program for how it slowly builds a whole structure, but one should not start with a bad foundation just because it "looks easy."

Bill

Bill,

Are you saying that I should consider using the HIGs from the beginning? Hit me with it please!! :D

Bill,

Are you saying that I should consider using the HIGs from the beginning? Hit me with it please!! :D

HAVE I FAILED TO BE CLEAR???!!!! :D

Yes, I think that would be a lovely idea :tongue_smilie:

ETA: Just don't feel you have to take every suggestion or schedule as "gospel." I would feel free to Miquonize some of the activity suggestions, and to replace C Rods for Linking Cubes and things of that sort, but yes, they help a parent who is unfamiliar teaching this sort of math teach it the right way and not miss out on anything they expect will be taught (even if it is not in the books). This program was originally created for highly trained teacher in Singapore. The HIGs try to make up a "training gap."

Bill

Edited by Spy Car

:001_smile: Thank-you Bill. I had to be sure and believe me, I'm pondering all of the counsel I have received. It is a LOT to take in.

I just started the First Grade Diary (after reading Note to Teachers) and it's a lot of fun! It will take awhile to get through the materials as I can only devote a little time each day to reading about math.

I have 2 sets of Cuisenaire rods and I pulled them out today only to discover that they are different in color for one of the rod lengths :glare:. One set is clearly orange. The other set's rods of that length are much more red than orange. It is nearly impossible to distinguish their color as there are small rods that are red. Grrrrr. I may have to spray paint or spring for another set and see what I end up with.

Have you seen the HIG's for the Stds. ed.? They are WAY more detailed than the U.S. ed. HIG's. I used the U.S. ed. for 3A/B and then switched to the Stds. ed. at 4A because of the HIG's. The U.S. ed. HIG's tended to have 1/2 to 3/4 page per section and I didn't find the teaching hints all that helpful. Whereas the Stds. ed. HIG's tend to have 2-3 pages per section and a LOT more handholding for the teacher.

I would still get the HIG's for the U.S. edition if I were going to teach the U.S. edition components. But for someone deciding between the two editions, the majorly improved HIG's make it worth going with the Stds. edition IMHO.

The HIGs I have for the Singapore levels up to 3B are written by Jennifer Hoerst. I don't remember the lessons being brief, and there was enough hand-holding. :001_huh: Singapore does put out a "Teacher's Guide" that looks to be different, and maybe that's what you are thinking of?

Teacher's Guide 3A

HIG for 3A

Anyway, it doesn't matter as I really don't think Singapore is well set up to be a stand-alone program.

The HIGs I have for the Singapore levels up to 3B are written by Jennifer Hoerst. I don't remember the lessons being brief, and there was enough hand-holding. :001_huh: Singapore does put out a "Teacher's Guide" that looks to be different, and maybe that's what you are thinking of?

Teacher's Guide 3A

HIG for 3A

Anyway, it doesn't matter as I really don't think Singapore is well set up to be a stand-alone program.

I could be wrong, but I believe all the HIGs are all written by Jennifer Hoerst. However, US levels 2-6 are published by Sonlight. US Level 1 and all the Standards editions are published by Singapore.