Menu

Been gone a few days... what did I miss about the American's having it very rough??

I'll be honest and say I don't know. It seems like suddenly everyone is afraid. Not sure why. I think the media is just blowing things out of proportion because it's good for ratings. I don't think we're doing great financially, but I don't think there's cause for some sort of Y2K stockpiling.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

I think it's probably because of all the unrest and political upheaval overseas. I heard a mention of food prices going up on NPR, but they only think it's going to be a couple of percentage points. It was either that or cut ethanol production and have gas go up 70 cents a gallon. I think it's all blown out of proportion too, but no reason not to do a little preparation...but also no need to freak out.

Well, unemployment is NOT at an all time high, it went down to 9 percent recently. Although, the interesting REASON for that is that about 3/4 of a million people dropped out of the labor force in the last two months alone. Whew! I agree we are starting to see some inflation -- gas prices, food prices -- and at the rate money is being printed by our federal goverment (i.e. "monetizing the debt") I'm surprised prices aren't roaring ahead even higher.

Housing prices however will continue to deflate. The federal government is broke, many state governments are broke, and the local governments are heading in the same direction.

These problems have been bubbling up for a while, but it is now getting to the point where people are noticing them. Or, the news media are reporting on them.

I think 2010 was our Last Normal Year. 2011 is going to look much different based on a variety of factors.

Interesting!

I don't think the media is blowing it out of proportion. In fact, I think the media is understating the issues.

I don't watch a lot of mainstream media, but from what I've seen everyone is saying the economy is improving, when in reality most indicators (all of them except the stock market) are painting a pretty bleak picture.

I'm no alarmist, and I'm not stockpiling anything. Basically just living my life as usual, with a few adjustments. But I believe that it's much worse out there than what most people are willing to believe.

According to my dh (who never gets up in arms about anything) the threat is very real and it has to do with the budget that many think will not be passed -- I think he said something about a three month time frame from now.

He read my blog with the 'tough times' header and he actually agreed that I was not over-reacting and it was a good read. I was stunned.

He says that in about three months time the stage 'might' be set for folks to see price increases in staples -- he said that a 300% price increase in some items would not be out of the question. He agreed that it would be wise to be stockpiling some staples - surprising b/c while he is cautious, he doesn't usually recommend this kind of thing except in cases of immediate weather events -- you know, batteries, flashlights, the like.

THAT BEING SAID, he and I have always thought that one should be prepared ALL THE TIME -- we have made it a point not to buy into hysteria of any sort: either from a wedding planner or a doomsday prophet (and I am not calling the folks who are talking about the likelihood of an upcoming economic event doomsday prophets).

I think that one should be reasonable, logical, prayerful, and should assess the situation and choose the areas where they can make a positive impact in their lives in light of current events.

If you are so inclined, please read and comment here: www.pleasedonteatthedaiseis-mariann.blogspot.com

I thought it was just me that was confused about where this all came from.

nope.... not just you.

I also wondered what was the reason for the timing of topic. it sounded like an urgency thing or something. I thought, what did I miss in the news? :lol:

but guess that wasn't the case.

I'm glad to know it wasn't just me. ;)

-crystal

Dh and I are tiptoeing into the whole sustainable/emergency world. We want to reduce our food budget and eat healthier to begin with (so gardening, preserving, etc.), but we also want to sharpen our skills/be prepared in case the world goes crazy tomorrow, next year, or 30 years from now. We don't quite feel panicked over certain doom or anything, but there is the whole "better safe than sorry" thing. ;)

There is a 12 page thread right here that you can read to see what you missed.

I looked in that thread and a lot of it is ... confusing, to say the least. I can't make heads or tails out of a lot of it - stuff about governments, economics (is that the right word?), other countries, military stuff....

Sometimes it's helpful if a person can get something summed up in an easy to understand manner versus slogging through 12 pages of posts using terminology and referencing things that only make sense if you're already "in the know" or whatever. :)

I looked in that thread and a lot of it is ... confusing, to say the least. I can't make heads or tails out of a lot of it - stuff about governments, economics (is that the right word?), other countries, military stuff....

Sometimes it's helpful if a person can get something summed up in an easy to understand manner versus slogging through 12 pages of posts using terminology and referencing things that only make sense if you're already "in the know" or whatever. :)

FaithManor's post was informative:

Barry Goldwater is a very smart fellow! The big problem with America is that it believes it is invincible and what happens everywhere else and in every civilization that has lived with a government that robs Peter to pay Paul, won't somehow magically happen here.

Something has to give. The National Debt is currently 14.158 trillion dollars. We can't make the March interest payments unless congress increases our loan ceiling so WE CAN BORROW MORE MONEY TO PAY THE INTEREST. We aren't paying on the principal. Remember all of those interest only loans that caused people to lose their homes during the real estate bubble burst? That's the FED. They've kept spending and borrowing to cover that spending until they've bankrupted the nation. Every single president and congress since Lyndon B. Johnson has done this. We haven't really had a fiscally conservative president since Dwight D. Eisenhower.

If every asset of every single person living within our borders including Donald Trump, Bill Gates, and all of their friends were seized, there would not be enough wealth to pay the principal balance. GDP has bombed in relation to that debt. Therefore, our nation is bankrupt. The media doesn't want to announce it, the government most certainly doesn't want to announce it, the president will never say it, but this country is for all practical purposes, bankrupt. What happened in Greece is coming. There will be austerity measures. There won't be any National Health Care - passing that was just a feel good measure to keep the illusion of prosperity alive - there isn't any money to fund it. And forget that, Social Security is going to bankrupt and take a whole lot of elderly people with it to say nothing of the 45,000,000 people that are now on food stamp assistance, most of whom desperately need it, who won't be able to get that either. It's going to be awful. The rioting in Greece and Egypt is just the beginning unless someone with some brains gets in power mighty quick, stops living in dreamland, and starts making the tough choices.

What about the collateral held on money loaned to us. Many of our federal lands, our gold and silver mines, some of our coal reserves, etc. are all collateral on these loans. If the WMF or China were to call in our loans for inability to pay, we would not be able to run our power grids. So, electricity would be doled out on a rationed basis. Think about WWII - the rationing system for fuel, electricity, food, clothing, etc. That is what will have to be implemented. If you can't produce it for yourself, you will have to make do with what the World Bank and the WMF say you can have.

So even if hyperinflation does not hit any time soon, in the next two years we will need to see VERY SERIOUS tax increases across the board, even the poor will pay more, in order to limp along a government on austerity measures. Everyone should think about what it will mean to their budgets to see a much larger portion of their paycheck go to a government that will provide them with far fewer services. How does that affect your budget? If inflation and high taxes occur, what will that mean for food, utilities, and clothing those growing children.

The extension of the Bush tax cuts was done by our government to maintain an illusion that it still had everything under control, that things weren't as bad as most of the U.S. and world economists believe, that the system - as is - can still keep spinning indefinitely.

More food for thought - the national debt stands at over $45,000.00 per U.S. Citizen (that's every American man, woman, and child). It is over $127,000.00 per taxpayer. This is not a sustainable system.

I think the thing that scares me the most is the sheer amount of U.S. natural resources that are held in debt collatoral. They've mortgaged our future, our children's future, and our grandchildren's future.

Faith

Barry Goldwater's posts are informative, Audrey's posts are informative - these are merely my opinion. There are many, many others whose posts gave me more information into the 'issue' at hand.

Remudamom suggests a book available on amazon. Many others said the book was excellent. I intend to read it.

If you go to my blog, the links are there that folks suggested throughout the thread -- all in one place at the end of the germane blog entry.

I agree... I read through some last night, and it's what prompted this thread. I live in a 3 bedroom duplex RENTAL, with a very small yard. I can't go ripping up the yard for a garden. I also have VERY little storage space, so I am not sure what I'd do about stockpiling either. For people like me, who might already feel ancy about whatever situation has gotten everyone else all up in arms about, it's worse when you feel like none of the answers fit your situation, and there is really no way to "be prepared". The only thing I can say, is we're not in debt. No house mortgage, no car payment, no CC's... But we are at the mercy of someone else who could run into financial upheaval, and that sucks. I think I'd rather own a mobile home on a but of land.

FaithManor's post was informative:

Barry Goldwater is a very smart fellow! The big problem with America is that it believes it is invincible and what happens everywhere else and in every civilization that has lived with a government that robs Peter to pay Paul, won't somehow magically happen here.

Something has to give. The National Debt is currently 14.158 trillion dollars. We can't make the March interest payments unless congress increases our loan ceiling so WE CAN BORROW MORE MONEY TO PAY THE INTEREST. We aren't paying on the principal. Remember all of those interest only loans that caused people to lose their homes during the real estate bubble burst? That's the FED. They've kept spending and borrowing to cover that spending until they've bankrupted the nation. Every single president and congress since Lyndon B. Johnson has done this. We haven't really had a fiscally conservative president since Dwight D. Eisenhower.

If every asset of every single person living within our borders including Donald Trump, Bill Gates, and all of their friends were seized, there would not be enough wealth to pay the principal balance. GDP has bombed in relation to that debt. Therefore, our nation is bankrupt. The media doesn't want to announce it, the government most certainly doesn't want to announce it, the president will never say it, but this country is for all practical purposes, bankrupt. What happened in Greece is coming. There will be austerity measures. There won't be any National Health Care - passing that was just a feel good measure to keep the illusion of prosperity alive - there isn't any money to fund it. And forget that, Social Security is going to bankrupt and take a whole lot of elderly people with it to say nothing of the 45,000,000 people that are now on food stamp assistance, most of whom desperately need it, who won't be able to get that either. It's going to be awful. The rioting in Greece and Egypt is just the beginning unless someone with some brains gets in power mighty quick, stops living in dreamland, and starts making the tough choices.

What about the collateral held on money loaned to us. Many of our federal lands, our gold and silver mines, some of our coal reserves, etc. are all collateral on these loans. If the WMF or China were to call in our loans for inability to pay, we would not be able to run our power grids. So, electricity would be doled out on a rationed basis. Think about WWII - the rationing system for fuel, electricity, food, clothing, etc. That is what will have to be implemented. If you can't produce it for yourself, you will have to make do with what the World Bank and the WMF say you can have.

So even if hyperinflation does not hit any time soon, in the next two years we will need to see VERY SERIOUS tax increases across the board, even the poor will pay more, in order to limp along a government on austerity measures. Everyone should think about what it will mean to their budgets to see a much larger portion of their paycheck go to a government that will provide them with far fewer services. How does that affect your budget? If inflation and high taxes occur, what will that mean for food, utilities, and clothing those growing children.

The extension of the Bush tax cuts was done by our government to maintain an illusion that it still had everything under control, that things weren't as bad as most of the U.S. and world economists believe, that the system - as is - can still keep spinning indefinitely.

More food for thought - the national debt stands at over $45,000.00 per U.S. Citizen (that's every American man, woman, and child). It is over $127,000.00 per taxpayer. This is not a sustainable system.

I think the thing that scares me the most is the sheer amount of U.S. natural resources that are held in debt collatoral. They've mortgaged our future, our children's future, and our grandchildren's future.

Faith

Barry Goldwater's posts are informative, Audrey's posts are informative - these are merely my opinion. There are many, many others whose posts gave me more information into the 'issue' at hand.

Remudamom suggests a book available on amazon. Many others said the book was excellent. I intend to read it.

If you go to my blog, the links are there that folks suggested throughout the thread -- all in one place at the end of the germane blog entry.

HOLY CRAP!!

I agree... I read through some last night, and it's what prompted this thread. I live in a 3 bedroom duplex RENTAL, with a very small yard. I can't go ripping up the yard for a garden. I also have VERY little storage space, so I am not sure what I'd do about stockpiling either. For people like me, who might already feel ancy about whatever situation has gotten everyone else all up in arms about, it's worse when you feel like none of the answers fit your situation, and there is really no way to "be prepared". The only thing I can say, is we're not in debt. No house mortgage, no car payment, no CC's... But we are at the mercy of someone else who could run into financial upheaval, and that sucks. I think I'd rather own a mobile home on a but of land.

I live in a rental too, with no yard at all. Very little storage space. Can't dig up the yard or have farm animals. Same kinda thing. We rent from friends, who I know would never toss us out to save money or whatever, but even friends sometimes have losses and stuff... we do have debts, but they couldn't be helped really, so.

There's a big post copied above, but I still only understand bits of it. I don't follow politics, economics, government whatever stuff. Haven't any idea what Greece has to do with anything. Mines, China,"hyperinflation"... it's a bit like having dinner with people who speak a different language.

I think I'm better off just sticking to what I do know & understand. :laugh:

We have a trillion dollar budget deficit, the FED is monetizing our debt, 49 out of 50 state are or are near bankrupt (congratulations Indiana!), the Euro is being propped up by the production of valueless bonds, inflation is causing instability in food and commodity pricing around the world, the balance of power and peace in the Middle East is falling apart, and our federal government seems absolutely feckless.

Other than that things are hunky-dory:confused:

Just for the record, I don't think the world is coming to and end, but we are seeing the end to a certain way of life. It's going to be a slow painful process for many. For many folks in the Third World it could be absolutely devastating depending on how we here in the USA manage ourselves, our economy, and the world order we're the center of.

And there's the end of peak oil. Seems we're past peak production and so as oil becomes more expensive, we're going to have issues with everything costing more (transportation costs). Not only are we past peak production, but China and India are consuming much more oil than previously and will continue to do so as people buy more cars.

If you haven't read the WikiLeaks cable on Saudi Arabian oil, it's worth a google. :)

I don't believe in being an alarmist. Things are bad, but in the history of time they have been worse. All that said, my family does keep in mind that there could be a natural disaster or the like. We call our preparedness "When Zombies Attack", because really how will we KNOW when the zombies are coming :D

So we tend to hace about a months worth of needed supplies in the house. We live debt free, own the house outright, and drive a Prius. I have most of the home schooling supplies I'll need and got them at very reduced rates (though if the Internet dies today I'll be in trouble with teaching math).

So, yeah. Don't freak out, but don't get caught without TP.

I don't believe in being an alarmist. Things are bad, but in the history of time they have been worse. All that said, my family does keep in mind that there could be a natural disaster or the like. We call our preparedness "When Zombies Attack", because really how will we KNOW when the zombies are coming :D

So we tend to hace about a months worth of needed supplies in the house. We live debt free, own the house outright, and drive a Prius. I have most of the home schooling supplies I'll need and got them at very reduced rates (though if the Internet dies today I'll be in trouble with teaching math).

So, yeah. Don't freak out, but don't get caught without TP.

Have to agree.

When I was in college in.....are you ready?.........1972 (I was a frosh) I had a history prof who said that this stuff goes in boom and bust cycles. I don't remember exactly how he described it, but it made sense, and I have seen the cycle now twice, I think. The one that is being talked about would be my third.

As I've said before, be reasonable, be logical. As others have said, select one thing you can change or improve upon and start there. You can't grow your own food if you live in a high rise (unless you are in a town where you can have a little plot of land to garden someplace else - as we have all through northern virginia) -- the most important thing, I would have to say, is don't panic.

I believe there is more money promised in derivatives globally, than there are assets on the planet to pay them off. Something like that. Of course, it's only a problem if the derivative bets go bad. Which they tend to do all at once.

But the economy is not the only thing that is troubling, just watching things boil over in the Mideast.

Are you saying you're going to trade in the Hummer for a Prius?

Have to agree.

When I was in college in.....are you ready?.........1972 (I was a frosh) I had a history prof who said that this stuff goes in boom and bust cycles. I don't remember exactly how he described it, but it made sense, and I have seen the cycle now twice, I think. The one that is being talked about would be my third.

As I've said before, be reasonable, be logical. As others have said, select one thing you can change or improve upon and start there. You can't grow your own food if you live in a high rise (unless you are in a town where you can have a little plot of land to garden someplace else - as we have all through northern virginia) -- the most important thing, I would have to say, is don't panic.

Are you saying you're going to trade in the Hummer for a Prius?

Ummmmmm, no.:glare:

:lol:

I guess you are asking because that would be the reasonable and/or logical thing to do?:confused:

We are going to move closer to dh's place of business so his commute will be shorter and we will be infinitely closer to our co-op and everything else; we are involved in -- I drive to Alexandria 5 times a week at least - which is ridiculous -- it's 45 minutes in each direction without any traffic. So moving there makes more sense.

Yes, yes, yes, and I'm sure there are holes in my logic, but it works for me. :D

I'm asking for the fun of it.:D

Ummmmmm, no.:glare:

:lol:

I guess you are asking because that would be the reasonable and/or logical thing to do?:confused:

We are going to move closer to dh's place of business so his commute will be shorter and we will be infinitely closer to our co-op and everything else; we are involved in -- I drive to Alexandria 5 times a week at least - which is ridiculous -- it's 45 minutes in each direction without any traffic. So moving there makes more sense.

Yes, yes, yes, and I'm sure there are holes in my logic, but it works for me. :D

I'm asking for the fun of it.:D

The fun is in driving it! :auto:

Definitely NOT at the pump though.:(

We do need more seating......the Hummer is supposed to go back at the end of March......we had thought of purchasing it, but b/c of the seating, probably won't. Unless we purchase it and dh takes it back as his (he is driving the 'airport parking lot' car as his regular car.

Have to agree.

One of my uncles is a former Presidential advisor. He says the same thing. He says this is part of some cycle. If you talk to older people (people who lived in the great depression), they kinda scoff at this stuff. It's because they've seen it all before. My grandparents' advice was to pay attention who you vote for. That's the best thing you can do. Vote the idiots out of office (that's their quote, not mine).

My uncle says that about every 30 years, there's a huge economic upheaval - like a roller coaster. And then it heads down again. I do think our country (and it's citizens) needs to get out of debt. I also think the US is economically intertwined with countries overseas and that is a bad, bad idea.

One of my uncles is a former Presidential advisor. He says the same thing. He says this is part of some cycle. If you talk to older people (people who lived in the great depression), they kinda scoff at this stuff. It's because they've seen it all before. My grandparents' advice was to pay attention who you vote for. That's the best thing you can do. Vote the idiots out of office (that's their quote, not mine).

My uncle says that about every 30 years, there's a huge economic upheaval - like a roller coaster. And then it heads down again. I do think our country (and it's citizens) needs to get out of debt. I also think the US is economically intertwined with countries overseas and that is a bad, bad idea.

In red, that is what Dr. Renzulli used to say -- I've wracked my brain trying to remember much of what he said, but when you are 18 yrs old and someone tells you that something happens every 30 years, well, one tends not to pay ALOT of attention to it. But, yes, I believe he did say 30 years.