Menu

This is so cool, I have to share!!!

Trying to find a solution to my housing crisis, I stumbled upon this:

http://thebumpercrop.wordpress.com/2010/10/28/three-boys-one-room/

SOOOOO COOL!!!

BTW, we still haven't found ANYONE willing to rent to our family of 9, and 3 cats. To say I am getting disheartened is an understatement. I was currently looking to see what I could do to make a 3 bedroom work. But convincing someone to let us rent their 3 bedroom, would probably be next to impossible :(

Looks nice, but will it stand up to those kids jumping from one bed to the next? Mine would think I set up a circus for them.

We have regular bunks with a trundle pull out. I have seen triple bunks for sale out there, but with one more about to move out (the 19 year old) we won't need anything unless we get a 'surprise'! (Extremely unlikely)

but I don't think you'd ever be able to convince me that would be safe--I wouldn't put my kids in that arrangement, even though it LOOKS fantastic.

Rope stretches, screw eyes pull out of walls, kids run into corners of furniture--there are just too many dangers there for my taste.

Not to mention that in my family, the room would look that neat for about 1.5 seconds. :)

If we were to build something "custom", it would be a triple-decker arranged in an L shape, in the opposite corner of the room from the door. (Far less risk of running into corners.)

The first layer would be on or near the floor; the next one quite a bit higher than a normal twin to allow plenty of foot room for the lowest level, at a 90 degree angle to the lowest level. Finally, the top (third) level would be directly above the lowest, but high up, with a complete, built-in, sturdy bedrail.

The bottom level would have a nice alcove-y feel to it with plenty of room and a built-in ladder in the end leading up to the top bunk. I'd put built-in desk space at either end of the bunks (outside the bedposts), depending on where the room's closet was, and storage everywhere else--definitely under the middle bunk, perhaps even under the lowest level.

The whole thing would be extremely sturdy, cross braced, and nearly impossible to lift. ; ) (Nah, just kidding: the key is to make it modular, so it can be dismantled--unbolted.)

Bolding is mine:

The Fair Housing Act/Texas Fair Housing Act (TFHA) prohibits discrimination in housing because of:

• Race
  • Religion
  • Color
  • Sex
  • National Origin
  • Disability
  • Familial status (including children under the age of 18 living with parents or legal custodians; pregnant women and people securing custody of children under 18).

Your cats might be an issue (I know many landlords will not allow cats and/or will not allow more than 2 pets). But, *legally*, the number of kids you have cannot be a factor.

http://www.twc.state.tx.us/crd/housing_fact.html

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PR/htm/PR.301.htm

Granted, there are exceptions, but most landlords probably would not qualify for those exceptions.

*However*, a landlord does not have to allow more than 2 people per room, unless there is an infant under 6 months old.

http://www.reiclub.com/articles/occupancy-standards-policy

There are ALSO national fair housing laws that prevent discriminating against your family just because you have a lot of kids.

http://www.hud.gov/offices/fheo/FHLaws/yourrights.cfm

We had three boys in one room until last June when ds23 got married. It is a 10X12 room - a tight squeeze. I like the way the picture looks in the blog you posted, but the beds look a bit unsteady to me. I'm sure they're fine but I would not be able to sleep in one. We used a STORA loft bed from IKEA and a set of bunk beds.

Anyone in Northern Virginia (or anywhere, really) want a loft bed?:D

When I look at that room, especially the highest bed, I picture ds rolling off the bed in the middle of the night and injuring himself. Or the bed coming off the wall and crashing down, on top of another kid... I could go on. I could seriously imagine checking that site a few months from now and reading about a tragic accident happening in that room! But that is just the way I think...

Hope you find the housing you need! It's rough with big families and pets.

We have a four bedroom septic...I would prefer town sewer, but we don't have it out here yet.

At any rate, we've been perfectly fine.

Your kids must be much better conserving water in the shower than mine :) I have to constantly bang on the door after they've been in there for 30 minutes!!!!!

I brought it up because we have friends stationed here in the military with a large family who did have that problem. It was in an older house, before they made the septic system capacity requirements larger.

Aren't there laws in a lot of places that say no more than two people over the age of six months per bedroom in a rental property? Not that I'm an expert, but a three bedroom house seems very inadequate for a family of that size, unless we're talking about Duggar style rooms (huge, with just beds).

The room above seems very cool, but I also would want to check frequently that the beds are still sturdy. :)

My septic is only 5 years old, and it is regularly tended to. We have 4 bathrooms.

I am sure an old spetic would have issues, but not that septic systems are automatic issues. :)

Your kids must be much better conserving water in the shower than mine :) I have to constantly bang on the door after they've been in there for 30 minutes!!!!!

I brought it up because we have friends stationed here in the military with a large family who did have that problem. It was in an older house, before they made the septic system capacity requirements larger.

Aren't there laws in a lot of places that say no more than two people over the age of six months per bedroom in a rental property? Not that I'm an expert, but a three bedroom house seems very inadequate for a family of that size, unless we're talking about Duggar style rooms (huge, with just beds).

The Texas law (which I linked) says that landlords have the right to restrict 2 people (over 6 months old)/bedroom, but it's not required that they do so. Does that make sense?

That looks absolutely amazing!! However, there's not a chance on this earth that I'd let my kids sleep/play/climb on those things. Kids are....well, kids. They climb. They sit two on a bed sometimes. I'd be afraid those things would come right out of the wall. The blog said the beds are really heavy.

Make sure you look for rentals that are on a city sewer system. Many 3-4 bedroom houses on a septic system would not be able to handle that large of a family. The 4 probably fine, but a 3 bedroom? You would overload it....

:iagree: We used to rent out our house. It's 3 bedroom/ 1 bath and we only rented to families of 4 or less because of the septic. Old house, old septic, lots of people, NOT GOOD!

(of course, we've had 6 here at a time, but we....throw the tissue in the trash! yuck! )

Just seeing the replies...

I have checked with the Austin Tenants Council, they confirmed what I already knew:

- In APARTMENTS, no more then 2 people per bedroom, with 1 extra as long as it is an infant under 1 yr.

- There is NO housing law or restriction for private rentals, it is solely up to landlord discretion.

- Uniformed Housing Code is 100 sq ft per person, with an extra 50 sq ft for sleeping purposes... so figure 150 sq ft per person for fire/safety codes.

I'll admit while I thought the room looked WAT cool, I too worried about how long and safe those hooks would last. I was also surprised to see no raised barrier on the edges. And I did worry about the one falling on the other. I would totally do it though, if I could find hooks WELL over my childs weight limits, and I could separate them out so that one was not over another. Plus, I am too ancy to leave the edge undone like that. I *would have to* put a piece of wood there to close it in.