Menu

Wholesome Music for Girls

OK - I just spent an hour listening to Justin Bieber. The quality of pop music notwithstanding, what really bothered me was the constant message of young love and lyrics like "Baby you took me to heaven" (intimating just WHAT?). I need some suggestions for good music that does not have that kind of message for my dd9. I don't mind indulging her love for bubblegum pop even if it isn't my cup of tea. She does like the Von Trapp Children with their mix of folk songs, Disney like songs, hymns etc. Any suggestions?

Casting Crowns

Toby Mac

Mandisa

Third Day

There are more... lemme look I forget them all

ETA: Kirk Franklin

Mary Mary

Point of Grace

Brandon Heath

MercyMe

Avalon

These are all ones my dd13 (and me truth me told) enjoy.

Edited by Mynyel

A few Christian pop artists that my dd's have found recently that sound more mainstream pop are

Francesca Battistelli (great album)

http://www.amazon.com/My-Paper-Heart-Francesca-Battistelli/dp/B0019IB1UA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1297301923&sr=8-3-catcorr&searchContext=B004GGY9AG,B001CDNJXE,B0019IB1UA

Britt Nicole

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Get-Found-Britt-Nicole/dp/B002EIJ8MC/ref=sr_1_11?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1297302031&sr=1-11

Addison Road (they are more rock than pop, I think)

http://www.amazon.com/Addison-Road/dp/B0013LKZUA/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1297302270&sr=8-10

Wholesome pop artists are out there!

Edited by AmeliaBinMO

OK - I just spent an hour listening to Justin Bieber. The quality of pop music notwithstanding, what really bothered me was the constant message of young love and lyrics like "Baby you took me to heaven" (intimating just WHAT?). I need some suggestions for good music that does not have that kind of message for my dd9. I don't mind indulging her love for bubblegum pop even if it isn't my cup of tea. She does like the Von Trapp Children with their mix of folk songs, Disney like songs, hymns etc. Any suggestions?

:bigear:

Owl City? My dds like him a lot and so far all I've heard from his is clean and wholesome--I haven't heard every song from him, but, this has been my experience.

This particular song was written for his girlfriend who died of cancer. His stuff is pretty good! (even if some of the lyrics are nonsense stuff!)

There's always Toby Mac and the others that someone else recommended too. He's amazing!

Edited by Dayle in Guatemala

My dd is 10 and likes:

Britt Nicole

Meredith Andrews

Toby Mac

Everlife

BarlowGirl

Jump5

ZoeGirl

Downhere

New World Son

Not specifically Christian but with clean lyrics:

Michael Buble - Crazy Love

Taylor Swift - Taylor Swift

Cheetah Girls

High School Musical Soundtracks

(those are the only two Disneyites we allow)

Owl City? My dds like him a lot and so far all I've heard from his is clean and wholesome--I haven't heard every song from him, but, this has been my experience.

This particular song was written for his girlfriend who died of cancer. His stuff is pretty good! (even if some of the lyrics are nonsense stuff!)

There's always Toby Mac and the others that someone else recommended too. He's amazing!

My dd loves Owl City!! Her favorite song is In Christ Alone.

Pretty much everyone already mentioned -- I have actually stopped listening to the classic rock/top 40 station when we are out driving around -- the lyrics are just, imo, inappropriate for children.

I keep the radio on the Christian station - at least I'm not concerned about the DJ banter and the lyric content.

My daughter is a little younger, so I can influence her taste still. But what about Broadway tunes.

On my daughter's Ipod (it's a 1GB her grandma gave her as a hand-me-down)

Full Soundtracks:

Broadway Kids (age approp songs sung by little Broadway stars)

Annie

You're a Good Man Charlie Brown

select songs from:

Shrek the Musical (I Know it's Today)

Wicked (One Short Day, Popular)

By request I put on some Beatles songs as well, as well as a Girl Scout CD (obviously my daughter is a girl scout.)