Menu

? Suggestions for a vehicle that seats 6+

I'm looking to buy a vehicle that seats at least 6 or more. We used to have a 8-seater Toyota Landcruiser but the gas mileage was unbelievable (13mpg max - on the highway).

I'm clueless as to what make/model even makes vehicles that seat for a larger family. I'd prefer something older because we can't afford new.

Please give me some recommendations and if you drive it personally, MPG would be a huge help. :)

TIA!

:bigear:

I do know, from my many searches looking for the same thing (lol) - that MPG is pretty much going to suck in anything that seats more then 6...because you're looking at SUV and vans mostly.

I think there are some decent minivans that seat 7 and even 8 that have "okay" MPG. However, our problem was space and cargo room.

We have a Ford Expedition that seats 7. We are maxed out on seats! There is room to walk between the front and back seats but pretty much ZERO cargo space in the back. Grocery shopping is tricky! The MPG are around 19 I think? A bit less maybe.

I did find some really awesome MPG in 7+ seater SUV's, but they were all newer hybrids and $$$!

I'd love to hear the posts from those driving these bigger vehicles around though and what their first hand experience is!

If you are looking to only seat 6, and MPG is your priority, you can check out the Mazda5, but cargo room behind the third row is sparse, and the third row seats are pretty small.

We drive a Toyota Sequoia that seats 8 and is 4WD. I average 20 MPG, and it has a V8, but I do almost all highway driving. It isn't an overly powerful V8, but it's okay. We spent $10k on a 2003 with 100k miles on it. We are REALLY hoping to get another 100k miles out of it.

We also had an Expedition, but the Sequoia has much more cargo space behind the third row. We got 17 MPG in the Expedition. We could tow anything or go pretty much anywhere in that, which was very nice! Lots of power!

Hope you find something that works for you!

We recently bought a 2005 Nissan Quest. We paid 12,900, and also bought a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty for an extra $1,500. It seats 7. We get about 27 mpg, freeway. We are very happy with it so far. It's real high tech, which I'm not used to, but I am getting used to it. :D

I forgot to look at your location, but if you are in the Puget Sound area, I recommend Chevy of Puyallup. They'll give you an excellent deal.

If you can afford it, I'd take a look at some of the hybrid models with larger seating capacity. It'd solve your gas mileage problem.

Our van is getting 10mpg...but we definitely can't afford anything better right now, or even to get the transmission fixed to improve the gas mileage.

SUVs are great on size but have no cargo space. The Honda Pilot is the Odyssey chassis but lacks all the room the van has. We love our Odyssey. We can out all 8 of us in it, stuff for the beach, and a stroller! I think it gets like 20 around town. The Nissan Armada we had got 10!!!:glare:

I really want a chevy traverse- it can seat 8 or 7 depending on if you get captain seats in the 2nd row. I test drove one, but don't have one. It is a smaller profile than an suv.

I own one (mine seats 7) and it gets about 22 mpg. I've had it about a year and a half and I LOVE it.

It's the same car as the GMC Acadia, Saturn Outlook and Buick Enclave.

I love it. Did I mention how much I love it? :D

(It can be a bit of a bear to park though...)

Our Odyssey can seat 7 comfortably, 8 if necessary. I have been fairly pleased with the gas mileage. I don't keep exact track of it, but I seem to go a long while between fill-ups and I drive a lot- both around town and long distance. My extended family has borrowed it for long road trips- many times with 5 adults and 2 teenagers and have been comfortable in it.

We have a Ford Freestyle. It can seat 6 or 7 (we have the one that seats 7). Gas mileage varies from 19-28. The lower end is in town with the heat full blast. The higher end is no air conditioning, highway driving. We even made it up to 30 once or twice but that's fairly rare.

Our old car was a Honda Odyssey, the old style before 1998. It seated 6 (although the bench seat did 7 I think). It was built on a smaller body than the new ones. It got mileage from 17-26.

I had 2 Ford Expeditions. First I had a '98 and then I had a 2004. There is a major problem with rust in 2004-2009 Expeditions. They are all rusting from the inside out due to a manufacturing problem. My 2004 developed several holes in the roof. Ford will not fix this in most cases, despite admitting that it's a manufacturer's defect (aluminum body panels were contaminated with iron). They will not fix it unless it has actually created holes, they will not fix it if it's outside of the 5 year warranty (it generally takes more than 5 years for a hole to form). People start to notice it when the paint bubbles, but the holes have often formed in the metal by the time the paint has holes in it. I'd encourage anyone with a Ford truck to check on it. The problems are mostly starting on the roof or in areas near the tailgate. There are thousands of complaints about this online. So, I would no longer recommend the Expedition.

I recently traded it in on a loaded 2009 Honda Pilot. So far, I love it. It seats 8, just like my Expedition. It doesn't have as much cargo space (of course), but the gas mileage is MUCH better. I love how much easier it is to drive.

I had 2 Ford Expeditions. First I had a '98 and then I had a 2004. There is a major problem with rust in 2004-2009 Expeditions. They are all rusting from the inside out due to a manufacturing problem. My 2004 developed several holes in the roof. Ford will not fix this in most cases, despite admitting that it's a manufacturer's defect (aluminum body panels were contaminated with iron). They will not fix it unless it has actually created holes, they will not fix it if it's outside of the 5 year warranty (it generally takes more than 5 years for a hole to form). People start to notice it when the paint bubbles, but the holes have often formed in the metal by the time the paint has holes in it. I'd encourage anyone with a Ford truck to check on it. The problems are mostly starting on the roof or in areas near the tailgate. There are thousands of complaints about this online. So, I would no longer recommend the Expedition.

I recently traded it in on a loaded 2009 Honda Pilot. So far, I love it. It seats 8, just like my Expedition. It doesn't have as much cargo space (of course), but the gas mileage is MUCH better. I love how much easier it is to drive.

I'm bummed to hear this. We just recently turned in a lemon of a Chrysler T&C on an '07 Expedition. We haven't noticed any paint bubbling though, except for on the very front edge of the hood. I really love my truck and the room in it is much greater than the van. I get pretty decent milage in mine (16 in town 22 hwy).

I'm bummed to hear this. We just recently turned in a lemon of a Chrysler T&C on an '07 Expedition. We haven't noticed any paint bubbling though, except for on the very front edge of the hood. I really love my truck and the room in it is much greater than the van. I get pretty decent milage in mine (16 in town 22 hwy).

I was really upset. My problems were ONLY on the roof. When I was researching the problem online it looks like a lot of 2007-2009 trucks have the same problem starting on the liftgate. Understand, by the time the paint starts to bubble it has already likely rusted through the metal. It's rusting on the *inside* and it's the oxidation on the *inside* causing the paint to bubble. That's why it takes so long for people to realize what's going on.

I LOVED the first Expedition that I had. The starter went around after 100k miles, but that's ONLY problem we ever had with it. I was shocked when we had so many problems with my second one. When I took it to the dealer with the holes in the roof they said they wouldn't do anything because it was more than five years old. I said "what are we supposed to do about it?" He said "well, take it to a body shop, they will fill the holes and repaint it." I asked "isn't it going to do this over the entire roof over time? Patching the holes won't fix that." He replied "yes, well, you can call Ford and share your opinion with them." :glare: I have owned several Fords (my very first car was a '67 Mustang), but I will never own another. I really cannot express how upset I was with my 5 year old truck that was otherwise in great shape leaking rain all over me.

eta: http://townhall.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f0bf2ce/22

Video on one of the successful lawsuits

Edited by Mrs Mungo

I'm awful curious why you're looking for so many seats with two kids... :p

I'm obviously not the OP :D, but I am in the market for the same type of capacity in a vehicle only I want AWD. My reason for wanting a car with extra seating when I only have 2 kids is that when grandparents visit, we either have to crush a grandmother in the middle of the back seat or we have to take two cars to go anywhere. Same goes for when we visit family. Also, visits to family include our pets, so between the two kids we are also trying to squeeze in 2 cats and the dog.

Thanks so much for all the suggestions and warnings.

Right now I have a tiny sports car that my adult-size teenage son barely squeezes into the backseat. Him and his sister are constantly fighting over arm space, there isn't any room for the dog and our trunk holds about 4 bags of groceries. I absolutely love the car, the gas mileage is fantastic (30-35mpg in the city), but really need the size of our old Land Cruiser. With the Land Cruiser we could pick up our son's friends, take the dog to the park, etc. I just don't want to buy another LC because gas mileage was so bad.

I was really upset. My problems were ONLY on the roof. When I was researching the problem online it looks like a lot of 2007-2009 trucks have the same problem starting on the liftgate. Understand, by the time the paint starts to bubble it has already likely rusted through the metal. It's rusting on the *inside* and it's the oxidation on the *inside* causing the paint to bubble. That's why it takes so long for people to realize what's going on.

Wow, I'm really sorry. That sucks so bad! I never liked Fords, but this just reiterates that. Maybe if they got a lot of bad press and the word got out via social networks, which negatively impacts them, they would fix the problem.

We have a Nissan Quest and the trunk space is AMAZING. It dips down back there and we have no issues with luggage, groceries, shopping, or even very large strollers. I can hold our double stroller and LOTS of groceries just fine. We can even fit like 4 or 5 large suitcases along with backpacks and stuff back there.

After three Expeditions, I just purchased a Chevy Traverse. I opted for the model with two captains chairs in the second row so mine seats 7. Took a little getting use to since it is smaller then the Expedition but I am really happy with it and definately better mpg then the Expedition, although still not spectacular. I'm not a minivan person so I like that this still is a SUV/crossover, but there is plenty of room to move around, captains chairs, very comfortable in the second row, etc. Good bit of cargo room, and lots of bells and whistles if you want to go that route. Love the extra security of Onstar too.