Menu

I could use a bit of quick prayer

I'm home alone with dd. Dh is in CA until tomorrow evening. I've taken all the meds I can take for the hives I get from the cold. I don't have a clue what set them off since I've been so bundled up all day and evening. Anyway the how and why don't matter.

In order to get out to the ER if it comes to that I'd have to go outside into the wicked cold to snowblow the driveway. Getting out into the cold will just make things exponentially worse.

Not to mention getting dd out of bed. I'm not sure how we'd get home since I'd need a driver and there is no one I can call in the middle of the night.

I don't normally go to the ER with this unless most of my body is covered. It is working on being my entire upper half. I scared the bejeezes out of myself when I went to scratch and felt a "lump" on a breast. Its a hive. I know it is a hive. It itches like mad. So far nothing on the legs or feet.

Please pray that this time the hives just go away.

OK!

I had a long term case of hives years ago. Have you maxed out the Benedryl? You can also put a little cortaid cream on the hives that itch the most, but be careful not to over do it. Mine would go away if I relaxed, put loose clothes on (no tight elastic anywhere) and slept.

Yes, I've taken a Benedryl, a zyrtec, a zantac, and 50 mg of Prednisone. I could take up to another 50 mg of Prednisone (what they give me at the ER) and at least one if not two Benedryl. Unfortunately I've never asked exactly how much Benedryl they pump into me so I don't know how much is too much.

OK!

I had a long term case of hives years ago. Have you maxed out the Benedryl? You can also put a little cortaid cream on the hives that itch the most, but be careful not to over do it. Mine would go away if I relaxed, put loose clothes on (no tight elastic anywhere) and slept.

It is chronic. I've got both cold and heat urticaria. Fall and spring are my favorite times of the year. What is the max Benedryl for a 170 lb person?

I cleared out a row of the prednisone when I got a hive the size of a football...... that did it. I knew if I went to ER that they would just have given that to me. 50 mg. is quite a bit, I took 60 at a time once. I do know you can take at least two Benedryl. I think you can do even more, but I would want a nurse to confirm that! Maybe call ER, sometimes the nurses will talk to you, especially since traveling is dangerous.

:grouphug: and prayer. hoping the prednisone will help a lot. when you need it, its good stuff.

does your health care include an advice nurse you can call re dosages? or a pharmacist at a 24 hour pharmacy?

on line, i found this about diphenydramine, but i don't know enough about it to know how accurate it is...

Maximum daily dose: 400 mg in divided doses. High dosage for adults (300 to 400 mg daily) may be required in acute, generalized or chronic urticaria, and allergic eczema.

from... www.mentalhealth.com/drug/p30-b01.html

:grouphug:

ann

Edited by elfgivas@yahoo.com

I cleared out a row of the prednisone when I got a hive the size of a football...... that did it. I knew if I went to ER that they would just have given that to me. 50 mg. is quite a bit, I took 60 at a time once. I do know you can take at least two Benedryl. I think you can do even more, but I would want a nurse to confirm that! Maybe call ER, sometimes the nurses will talk to you, especially since traveling is dangerous.

When I go to the ER I get a shot of Benedryl (unknown amount), a gram shot of Prednisone, a Zytec orally and a Zantac orally.

:grouphug: and prayer. hoping the prednisone will help a lot. when you need it, its good stuff.

does your health care include an advice nurse you can call re dosages? or a pharmacist at a 24 hour pharmacy?

on line, i found this, but i don't know enough about it to know how accurate it is...

Maximum daily dose: 400 mg in divided doses. High dosage for adults (300 to 400 mg daily) may be required in acute, generalized or chronic urticaria, and allergic eczema.

from... www.mentalhealth.com/drug/p30-b01.html

:grouphug:

ann

The closest I've got to that is my best friend's dh who is a doctor. I asked him (he treated me in the ER for this once) and he won't tell me how much Benedryl. He actually said not more than 50 mg of OTC stuff. I'll take that at home then still get a shot of the stuff.

Is there someone from church or a good friend that you can call to come clear your driveway for you/take you to the ER, should it come to that?

Probably not at 1 in the morning. ;)

See this is Mr. Murphy having one on me. I decided to clear it in the morning when it was daylight and finished snowing. If I had gotten out there just after dark and cleared it I probably wouldn't be in this position. :glare:

sigh.... will he come and snowblow the driveway then? i do understand the legalities of it all, but man it makes it tough.

hoping it doesn't get worse,

ann

:lol: You can bet your bottom dollar though I'll find out exactly how much Benedryl I get next time I go.

I seems to be clearing up a bit. I've got one on my left elbow, one behind my left knee, my right wrist and the one that scared me. There is a spot on my upper right arm that seems like it can't decide what to do.

Hope all is well with you, and that you wake up with no hives.

I used to suffer from hot/cold urticaria, too, so I especially feel for you.

Take what I say here with a grain of salt if it doesn't apply to you, but mine cleared up completely when I went off all processed food, sugars, simple carbs. My diet was basically good quality meat protein, vegetables and good fats. Within 6 months I had no more hives. Now I don't follow my diet so strictly, but it did get my system coping well. I still don't get them, and I do have a few processed & sugar-type foods, but still not very much.

Good morning. I made it through the night. Everything is gone this morning. If we can add an addendum. I'm going to take another dose of meds and give them time to work then I'm going to have to get outside. I've got to clear the drive to be able to get out to get dh. :auto:

I don't have troubles with large appliances or plumbing when he is on business trips. My troubles involve large snow storms and having to be outside trying to get the truck and car to move. This man never travels in the summer.:glare:

There is no rhyme or reason to what sets it off. Last time I did the drive my skin got so cold it was as red at the smilie's car above. Nothing happened. Last night I'm sitting around in the heated house in flannels and robe and it starts on unexposed skin. :confused: I'm such a freak of nature. :001_huh: