Menu

19 kids and counting - how do they homeschool?

trying my best

From what I've read and seen, their "buddy" will help them.

So, they have a buddy system, and the older buddy will help the younger buddy with their schoolwork. I think how they do buddies is oldest student with youngest student, second oldest student with second youngest student, etc., etc.

I cannot remember where I read this, I think on a blog that had an interview with them?

I read the Duggar's book, but I can't remember the exact details!

I am pretty sure though that she uses Switched On Schoolhouse as part of their curriculum. Often I see them on the TV show doing work on computers. However, I've also seen her giving instruction to the little kids around the table.

She does have the older ones help with the younger ones as well.

She uses a little bit of everything. In the newer episodes, the older students do everything on the computer and she teaches the younger ones (mainly worksheets I've noticed). She has some sort of file system set up, kind of like a work box system and the younger kids get their file for the day or maybe by subject and they complete it and mom or maybe another older one will grade it. Some of the older ones teach, but it doesn't seem to be much because their busy doing their work on the computer. The oldest girls that have graduated seem to do quite a bit of the schooling.

I don't know. They seem to be ATI light (more modern dress, using other school stuff), but then they still go to the conferences and host other families....

They weren't "light" at first. I think the clothing issue was more changed with the cameras, but they still fall under ATI standards (and trust me, what ATI people do in their homes vs at conference can be two different things when it comes to clothes and many will use a combination of other things on top of ATI materials...I was just wondering if they've moved away from ATI altogether, guess not due to the last part of your post).

I know they used to use ATI curriculum, but I'm not sure about now. It's mostly SOS.

I do know they have moved away from all collars on the boys. I remember her saying years ago the boys only wear collared shirts, but I see them wear T-shirts a LOT.;)

I think there is one main older girl who kind of supervises everything - Jessa, I believe????? I can't remember, but she enjoys that sort of thing, so it fit right in.

What I would love to know is if they have any sort of learning issues. I keep waiting for my olders to be more independent, but it seems as time goes on, they require just as much from me school-wise as the younger ones do. Sigh.

Quotes from other websites:

Our day begins at 8:00 a.m. with personal hygiene, breakfast, family devotions, and a "quick clean" of the house. The younger children begin their individual lessons in phonics, math, violin, and piano with the assistance of their "buddy". In teaching their siblings, I find that the older children have learned so much more themselves. When they're done, the older children then start their individual studies in math, English, spelling, and typing.

One of the older girls, Jill, begins preparing lunch at 11:30, and we break at 12:00. Everyone helps clean up and then individual studies are finished. The babies go down for naps at 1:30 p.m., and then the older children and I study science, history, law, or medicine around the table from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. As we study the same topic together, we use a "bus stop" approach. The younger children participate with age-appropriate activities, but are released to go play as we go more in depth into the subject matter with the older children. During this time, we also memorize Scripture, learn hymns, and study godly character qualities. From 4:00 to 5:00 p.m., we break from our group study and complete individual studies or enjoy "free time."

Dinner is at 5:00 p.m. and prepared by Jana (18). Everyone again helps clean up afterwards and after another "quick clean" of the house, each child finishes music lessons or schoolwork. Snack time is 8:00 p.m., and then it's time to get ready for bed with baths and picking out clothes for the next day. Bible time with Daddy is at 9:00 p.m. and bedtime is at 10:00 p.m. Individual checklists which cover schoolwork, chores, music lessons, and personal hygiene let us see at a glance how each child is doing and keep our children accountable, so we can reward them accordingly.

------------------------------------------

We have used ACE Paces for math, English and spelling. Recently, within the last year and a half, we have started using ALPHA OMEGA SOS. Third grade and up are doing school on the computer and they really enjoy that. We have an in-house system, because we are like a school with the number of students we have. Jessa is the administrator. She keeps up with all that. They have to make a certain grade before they move forward. If they don't, she will reassign and do it again. We also do Typing Tutor. I do Sing Spell Read and Write for phonics and have done all along. Some of my girls have helped with their little buddies in teaching reading.

------------------------------

As the years have gone on, we definitely have older ones that are such a blessing that will jump in and help. I think every homeschool mom probably struggles with "I feel like I'm not cutting it. I feel inadequate. This one I want to make sure I work on this and this one that." That is always something in the back of our minds as homeschool parents. The incredible thing is, having watched the older ones, all the fretting, and yet they've excelled. Why'd I put myself through that? Par for the course.

I finally realized having these older ones, the good thing for them is they could mentor the younger ones with stuff they've already mastered. It helps reinforce their skills too. I encouraged the older ones, "You're the fastest math drill one I know. You could really encourage Jason, who is just beginning. I'll give you flash cards and you guys sit over here 30 minutes after lunch and do flash cards and I'll give you both a treat when you're done."

It's amazing how my children have enjoyed the time they've spent together doing that. When you teach is when you really learn. I have them doing fun little things, like practicing violin or flash cards. There is a precious mentoring relationship that takes place. I've been amazed, my little guys learn so much faster when they are mentoring with an older sibling.

----------------------

I know they used to use ATI curriculum, but I'm not sure about now. It's mostly SOS.

I think they just use ATI for the Wisdom Booklets? Maybe?

What I would love to know is if they have any sort of learning issues. I keep waiting for my olders to be more independent, but it seems as time goes on, they require just as much from me school-wise as the younger ones do. Sigh.

She has commented somewhere that some are "slower learners" than others.

I have also seen her say several times that age 8 is the age where they go from being a "younger" to an "older" and the expectations really change at that point as far as responsibility goes.

Quotes from other websites:

Our day begins at 8:00 a.m. with personal hygiene, breakfast, family devotions, and a "quick clean" of the house. The younger children begin their individual lessons in phonics, math, violin, and piano with the assistance of their "buddy". In teaching their siblings, I find that the older children have learned so much more themselves. When they're done, the older children then start their individual studies in math, English, spelling, and typing.

One of the older girls, Jill, begins preparing lunch at 11:30, and we break at 12:00. Everyone helps clean up and then individual studies are finished. The babies go down for naps at 1:30 p.m., and then the older children and I study science, history, law, or medicine around the table from 2:00 to 4:00 p.m. As we study the same topic together, we use a "bus stop" approach. The younger children participate with age-appropriate activities, but are released to go play as we go more in depth into the subject matter with the older children. During this time, we also memorize Scripture, learn hymns, and study godly character qualities. From 4:00 to 5:00 p.m., we break from our group study and complete individual studies or enjoy "free time."

Dinner is at 5:00 p.m. and prepared by Jana (18). Everyone again helps clean up afterwards and after another "quick clean" of the house, each child finishes music lessons or schoolwork. Snack time is 8:00 p.m., and then it's time to get ready for bed with baths and picking out clothes for the next day. Bible time with Daddy is at 9:00 p.m. and bedtime is at 10:00 p.m. Individual checklists which cover schoolwork, chores, music lessons, and personal hygiene let us see at a glance how each child is doing and keep our children accountable, so we can reward them accordingly.

This was probably 3-4 years ago. They don't do this anymore. I haven't seen them do their "sit around the table together" school in YEARS, especially since they moved into their new house. EVERY shot of them doing school is done in front of the computer (for the older kids).

I think they just use ATI for the Wisdom Booklets? Maybe?

She has commented somewhere that some are "slower learners" than others.

I have also seen her say several times that age 8 is the age where they go from being a "younger" to an "older" and the expectations really change at that point as far as responsibility goes.

Well, expectations are one thing. Reality is another, when you have kids with learning disabilities.:tongue_smilie: I'm guessing she may not have anyone with true learning issues....

You know, I think one or more of the older girls did the ATI "midwifery" training. :glare: As a birth professional, that freaks me out. But I suppose that's not really on topic for this thread....

I do know one of them wanted to a midwife, but I'm not sure what sort of program (if any) she did. But I do know that now 2 of the girls (including the one wanting to be a midwife) volunteer as firefighters with their local volunteer fire department.

ATI is the Bill Gothard thing. I suppose some could read his material without knowing how he is, otherwise I consider him scary! (I would classify him as a cult) Scripture in and of itself is God's Word. With BG's thoughts and his attitude with seminars, he makes himself scary. Also, after being aware of the inside of his "ministry"..... I have absolutely no respect for him or his family. Talk to one of the pioneers in his "ministry" who have left, and you get an "inside" scoop. Beautiful books or not, I wouldn't have one... even for free... in my house.

You know, I think one or more of the older girls did the ATI "midwifery" training. :glare: As a birth professional, that freaks me out. But I suppose that's not really on topic for this thread....

As someone that has homebirthed and looked into midwifery programs (and knowing enough about ATI and their programs), this scares me also.

This was probably 3-4 years ago. They don't do this anymore. I haven't seen them do their "sit around the table together" school in YEARS, especially since they moved into their new house. EVERY shot of them doing school is done in front of the computer (for the older kids).

Or maybe the show doesn't include the ATI lessons around the table for a reason. ;)

ATI is the Bill Gothard thing. I suppose some could read his material without knowing how he is, otherwise I consider him scary! (I would classify him as a cult) Scripture in and of itself is God's Word. With BG's thoughts and his attitude with seminars, he makes himself scary. Also, after being aware of the inside of his "ministry"..... I have absolutely no respect for him or his family. Talk to one of the pioneers in his "ministry" who have left, and you get an "inside" scoop. Beautiful books or not, I wouldn't have one... even for free... in my house.

The book A Matter of Basic Principles is a good insight as well. I lost several friends due to not continuing past the Basic Seminar to the Advanced and not using ATI for our family. After leaving cultish churches that were grounded in things like Gothard and the Ezzos, I've looked back and realised the danger signs. I could never buy into everything they taught.

Thank you...I guess I "live under a rock"...LOL

I don't even know who Bill Gothard is...and maybe it's better that way. :lol:

I enjoy the Duggar's show occasionally -- and I'm hoping to read their book soon. We'll leave it at that...

A type of fundamentalist "prophet" in a sense. A man who has never been married, never had children, but is full of information on how a family should run, right down when a couple should and should not have teA. If you aren't doing it his way ("God's way") then you are in sin.

Advanced Training Institute.

I won't link the site, but google for it, and you'll get a good idea from the first page or so of links. :D

If you homeschool long enough, you are bound to run into a few followers...

And if you search enough, you will find those that left (look up thatmom.com ;) sweet lady and she has plenty to say...great podcasts). On FB look up x-ATI guy and x-ATI girl.

That could be, but I'm not going to assume.

Well, if you are ATI, you are not even supposed to show/share the material with other people. You have to convince the other people to go through the seminars to get to the material (fortunately, there are some ATIer's that break this rule as a means of trying to recruit). So that rule would make sense in why it's rarely seen on the show (we have a couple of DVD's from the original few programs that were done and you can see the Wisdom Booklet being used at one point).

I see it the other way, I guess. I don't assume I could know all the details of their homeschool by watching a made-for-TV show. Granted, I've only seen it once... :D

See, I watch it all the time. I don't know that there is an episode that I've missed. They USED to show them using the Wisdom Booklets whenever they were doing school. They haven't showed them using that in years - now it's SOS every time (which is often).

I agree that we can't know everything about their homeschool based on what they show on TV, but I'm just comparing what they USED to show and say on their show (although at that time it was longer specials, not a TV series) with what they show and say now.

Well, if you are ATI, you are not even supposed to show/share the material with other people. You have to convince the other people to go through the seminars to get to the material (fortunately, there are some ATIer's that break this rule as a means of trying to recruit). So that rule would make sense in why it's rarely seen on the show (we have a couple of DVD's from the original few programs that were done and you can see the Wisdom Booklet being used at one point).

Yes, they've broken that rule a lot then, because they used to show them using them OFTEN.

Well, expectations are one thing. Reality is another, when you have kids with learning disabilities.:tongue_smilie: I'm guessing she may not have anyone with true learning issues....

Honestly, I don't get the impression that the Duggars have very high academic expectations for their children (especially for the girls :glare:). So some of them might actually have undiagnosed LD's but they're not getting the kind of attention that they would in a smaller family or at school.

I think babies are blessings and have nothing against big families but the Duggars are over-the-top IMHO.

Honestly, I don't get the impression that the Duggars have very high academic expectations for their children (especially for the girls :glare:). So some of them might actually have undiagnosed LD's but they're not getting the kind of attention that they would in a smaller family or at school.

Well, if her kids are able to be semi-independent (as in, they can read) by age 8, they are doing way better than we are....:glare:

Honestly, I don't get the impression that the Duggars have very high academic expectations for their children (especially for the girls :glare:).

:iagree:This has definately been my impression. We tried SOS our first year homeschooling, and found it extremely lacking for a child coming out of our local PS. Everyone has different expectations, and mine just don't match theirs. :) They did say in one of the recent shows when the youngest was in the hospital that the olders teach the youngers until they begin to read and then it is all on the computer using SOS.

Honestly, I don't get the impression that the Duggars have very high academic expectations for their children (especially for the girls :glare:).

Yes. How many of the graduates have gone to college or any vocational school or anything now? Any? I really don't know, but it seems like none of them have. Personally, I don't think a 4 year degree or more is the be all and end all of the world, but I want my kids to get some sort of post-high school education.

Editing because that sounds very anti-intellectual, but it's definitely not. It's just that I've known some really, really, really uneducated, ignorant college graduates and some really, really, really intelligent, well-educated people who dropped out of or never attended college. The problem is that the Duggar graduates seem more like they just...go to work or stay around and help out with the kids.

Edited by Snowfall

Since Bill Gothard does not promote college for ATIA students, especially girls, the Duggars save a lot of time because they don't need to do any college prep stuff. No SAT prep, APs, CC classes, transcripts, applications, etc. Because the older girls do not go to college, they are available to help a great deal with homeschooling and home management. I can only imagine how much free time I'd have if my 18yo dd was at home cooking, cleaning, and homeschooling my younger dc instead of off at college!

I'm not trying to make a judgment about their choices, but everything we chose to do has costs. The Duggars seem to be a very sweet, hardworking, organized family. They also seem happy. I respect them, but could never be like them.

GardenMom

They have addressed the college issue. They have said that they aren't opposed to it, but it all depends on whatever the Lord seems to be leading that child to do. If it's a career in which college would be needed, then they would have them go to college.

I don't think either Jim Bob or Michelle went to college either.

2 of their graduated sons own their own businesses. I'm not sure about the 3rd graduated son. 2 of the graduated daughters volunteer with the fire dept. (along with one of the graduated sons). Not sure about the other girls.