Menu

Mei Tai vs Moby for toddlers

DS wants "up" all. the. time. I can't get anything done because he's always hanging on my feet. At the store....he won't ride in the cart - trust me, I've tried MAKING him. He just screams. He just wants me to carry him.

I have a moby wrap. I tried to put him in it in a back carry the other day so I could get some stuff done and it was just too darn hard and complicated and even once I got it done, it wasn't tight enough. I can't be fiddling with that in a parking lot full of snow, or a slushy entry way at a store.

So, I'm wondering.....is a mei tai easier to get on for a toddler? I would prefer to carry him on my back or hip. Are those both options with a mei tai? It sure looks easier to get on, but maybe not?

I appreciate info from anyone that's BTDT.

Thanks!

Also a mei tai lover here. They can be used for hip carries, although I found it awkwrd. The print on the one you linked is cute! but be sure you want minky come warm weather. Also, I checked some of her other listings to look at structure. Glad to see x-box stitching, but would personally prefer the straps to extend farther into the interior than they appear to. Esp since this is for a toddler.

Julie :001_wub: her Ergo!!!! Watch babysteals.com often--they have the organic ones on sale, regularly $135 + Shipping for $87 shipped!! That's where we got ours! :)

FTR, I had a babyhawk with Caleb and it was super nice for front carry but I couldn't ever figure out how to get him on my back without help--it's no problem in the ergo!

I DO love the looks of the Mei Hip carriers, have you seen those? They are super cute but once they hit the 1 year mark I have to stop using the pouch as much or my back/shoulders start hurting. There's no pain with the ergo b/c of the 2 straps and she's pushing 35lbs now. :) I do LOVE my pouches before about 25lbs though.

HTH!! :D

Moby wrap is great for newborns, but it's too stretchy for a toddler. I'd definitely go for a mei tai or Ergo for the toddler.

I am a very experienced babywearer, and I would recommend you look at reviews on thebabywearer.com to find a good brand of mei tai. They can vary a lot, and I would recommend finding one that is well-liked and time-tested. They may be a bit pricier but have had extensive testing, may carry insurance, and use high-quality materials. I can personally recommend the Kozy carrier, kozycarrier.com; I have been using the same Kozy for nearly five years, with two different children, and aside from being a bit dirty, it is in excellent shape. The owner has worked really hard to build her business and to ensure that she uses only top materials and construction techniques so that children will be safe. (She is also a friend of mine and a fellow homeschooling mom.) There are other excellent brands out there as well, but before you buy anything, I would definitely read reviews at TBW.

Okay, here's my hang up. I really don't have much to spend (which is why the $30 price tag was attractive) and as far as longevity, DS is already 20months old and at this point we don't really have any intentions of having any more. So, I don't necessarily need it to last forever. Also, I imagine I will be using it 3-4x a week for an hour or so per time. So, I think I could get by with something not top of the line, yeah?

I did look at the EXTENSIVE list of reviews on The Babywearer already tonight. I checked out a few of the higher rated ones and all were more than I have to spend. Maybe I need to look a little closer.

Mei tai!! Moby's work great until the kid is about 15 pds. Then you suddenly have a baby sagging lower and lower by the second :tongue_smilie:.

We use a babyhawk (technically a toddlerhawk). I'd check craigslist or diaperswappers.com (a cloth diapering site that sells baby-wearing stuff) I bought my bh for $30 on there! :)

I loved the ergo for the toddler years. I had a Mei Tai (baby hawk) as well but the ergo was easier to pop the girls in and out of (up, down, up, down).

The ergo is also nice if you spend a lot of time out. I still use ours when we are out for a full day in case the girls get tired. I just throw it on and then when someone gets tired they can have a piggy back ride with no effort (my 6 year old was in it last week when she got tired at the end of a day hike).

I wore my now-8-year-old from birth until she was three, and I was too pregnant to hoist her anymore. I would like to recommend the carrier I used once she was too big for our pocket sling: the hip hammock. http://www.amazon.com/Playtex-Hip-Hammock-Standard-Black/dp/B0007XTN5S

At the time I bought mine, it wasn't licensed by Playtex, but it's the same product. It works kind of like the Ergo, but with one strap instead of two. (If you've ever seen those ergonomically designed back-packs that are tear-drop shaped and fit over one shoulder, you'll know how it works.) In the link, they show women wearing their kids on the side, either one or the other, but it's equally easy to shift your kid around to the back, where they ride in the same position as they do in the Ergo. The strap will go over one of your shoulders, lying between your breasts.

The main advantage of the Hip Hammock is that it is substantially cheaper than the other carriers I've seen. I paid $40 for mine, but Amazon has it on sale right now for $19.99. I was comfortable in mine for hours--both my DH and I vastly preferred hiking with our DD in the Hip Hammock to hiking with our bulky frame backpack-style kid carrier.

So anyway, perhaps this will solve your dilemma. I know I sound like a shill for this product, but I love mine (I held on to it and used it with my son and will use it with baby #3 when he/she arrives.) I can't believe how expensive a lot the newer carriers are when this one gets the job done for so much less. Hope this helps!

Sorry I am not going to be helpful but I totally recommend the Ergo also...quick easy, it gets used a lot. My 3 year old still wants to be in it and my 19 month old loves it to. I got mine when babysteals did their deal but it is so worth the extra bit of money.

I have used every carrier made (I think) for my 4 kids. I love, love, LOVE the ergo. It is, by far, the best for a toddler imo. ETA: You should try ebay for used carriers, also. I have sold and purchased many times with no problems.

Edited by carlychan

Ergos don't look all cutesy and don't the fabric choices but they win hands-down on comfort imo. I had the aforementioned Kozy carrier, very expensive Didymos wrap, moby wrap, etc and I love the Ergo for the ease and comfort. We use it still for my almost 4yo for long hikes and still don't feel it. The ERgo is the most widely well-reviewed carrier out there and with the awesome resale it cannot be beat.

Keep looking. Sometimes it takes a week, but there are mei tais on thebabywearer for $40 frequently enough. I have sold a few for less than that myself. FWIW, I don't like SSCs, not even the ergo. If you think you'd use hip carries the most, go to the fabric store and buy 2.6-2.9m of osnaberg fabric, or something else that catches your eye. If you are comfortable doind a back carry in a moby, doing a hip carry with non-stretchy fabric will be a cinch. I much prefer wraps for hip carries. Much much prefer. Mei tais are super fantastic for back carries for me, but they're perfectly possible with a short wrap too.

Also, can you sew at all? If so, you can sew a mei tai for a very reasonable price. You would want something like canvas, or JoAnn's used to have a nice bull denim that is soft and strong. A non-stretch twill would work nicely too. You just don't want to use quilting cottons for the body and straps (though you could use them on top of the body for a decorative layer).