Menu

Curriculum Hopping

BBG580

Why do you think this happens? I see so many posts about changing curriculum and trying something new and I'm a little terrified. I feel like I've researched about as much as I can and have made the best choices I can based on what I think my kid will respond well to and what I can personally deal with as well. And there is a financial factor as well. I can't just toss something out because I don't love it, I can't afford to change course and get all new materials!

Do you curriculum hop because something is just not working or because you are bored or what? I guess from where I sit (serious, serious newbie with ZERO homeschool experience, so take it for what it is worth), it seems that curriculum hopping could not be so great in the long run? That if you don't stick with a program longterm you will not see the fruits? That sometimes things can just stink and be hard and that is just how it has got to be until you get over the hump?

Like I said, I am new, new, new - so I clearly know zero about this and I am not making a negative judgment about it necessarily. But I am also one of those people who sticks with things long past when I should give up. I just gave away some clothes to the Salvation Army this weekend that I've had since high school (!!!) and I seem to make the same 12 recipes over and over again. I like change but I am also happy to stick with what I know, if that makes sense.

Anyway, why do you curriculum hop? Is there any way to avoid it? I am putting together file folders for next year currently and a large part of the reasoning behind that is not so I will be prepared <cough> but because if I am all planned out I think I'll be less likely to switch curriculum midstream, so to speak.

We hop because of boredom (the kids, not mine), difficulty level(either to easy or to hard) or we want to try something new. If they're bored they won't learn. I can see it in their eyes, when their little brains shut off. If it's to easy, then again they grow bored. To hard, causes tears and frustration, for everyone. Something new helps to enliven us, and stave off the dreaded boredom.

One way to do this and remain fiscally responsible is to get free or cheap resources to add to your chosen curriculum. Library books, worksheets from the internet, idea's for fun science or craft projects here;). Also, if you haven't already, ask some questions here about the curriculum you've choosen. That might help you avoid your own case of curriculum hopping.

I did A LOT of research before I purchased (my first year started Fall 2010). But I still ended up with curriculum that def. did not work for us. Most companies offer return policies-so I utilize that if needed. Or sell items as used here or on another site. Buying used is a great way to go if you are on a budget. There is also plenty of free stuff out there.

We have switched: HW, Math, History, Writing, Grammar and Science. I wasn't bored with it, but I knew it wasn't for us.

Sometimes it's just hard to know until you uses something if it's the right fit.

Some people just like books. The more the better :-)

A bad habit I have is to buy a bunch of lesser expensive items I keep thinking will be good enough, instead of saving up for what I really want.

Another thing I have noticed is that some curriculums are not as polished as they should be and a few lessons in the parent feels lost, and instead of problem solving their way over the hump, they just jump ship. Often to another unpolished curriculum :-0

Some parents know EXACTLY what topics they want to cover and in which order, and no curricum is set up to do that, so they grab a chapter here, and a page there, instead of relying on someone else to set the scope and sequence.

Some parents don't know how to discipline and hope for a curriculum that will get done because it is fun.

There are so many reasons, good and bad, to explain curriculum junkies :-)

A bad habit I have is to buy a bunch of lesser expensive items I keep thinking will be good enough, instead of saving up for what I really want.

:tongue_smilie:I plead the 5th!

Some parents don't know how to discipline and hope for a curriculum that will get done because it is fun.

*guilty of hoping for this*:lol:

:cheers2:

I recently wrote a blog post that sort of addresses this. It is about knowing when a curriculum isn't working for your child. You can read it here: http://winecupchristianacademy.blogspot.com/2011/01/how-do-you-know-curriculum-isnt-working.html

I wish I had this post to read back in the Fall. I think it would have saved me much frustration and helped me understand what my childrens resistant was NOT.

Where are you at in TX?

I did a lot of research before purchasing. Most of what I picked has worked out really well. The only two subjects I changed were spelling and reading.

Spelling: I originally thought AAS would be a great fit, but then I thought maybe we could get away with something cheaper. I tried two other programs, and then realized AAS was really what I wanted. Bought that, and DS and I are both happy. :)

Reading: I started with CLE Reading, but was having an iffy feeling about content of the stories for my son (religiously). I also was finding the workbook to be a lot of busy work. Plus I just wanted to burn the schwa. I made a change last week, but it didn't cost me a dime. I'm just having him read a good chapter book out loud, and we do a narration a couple times a week. This is working great, and within a few days, he had gained confidence with chapter books and will now read more than one chapter at a time.

I plan to change a few other subjects next year, but we'll finish what we have this year first. I'm not changing math. That's one that you really don't want to change a lot. Thankfully, we like my choice there!

I recently wrote a blog post that sort of addresses this. It is about knowing when a curriculum isn't working for your child. You can read it here: http://winecupchristianacademy.blogspot.com/2011/01/how-do-you-know-curriculum-isnt-working.html

Good article. Often some of the least visually appealing curriculums are the most efficient and effective.

I always found it to be a bigger problem if the curriculum did not match the teacher's style/resources than if it didn't match the child's style. A comfortable teacher can be a bridge over the inevitable gaps that all curriculums have. I think some parents hop because they are trying too hard to match the child with materials that are too hard for them to teach with.

I think some parents hop because they are trying too hard to match the child with materials that are too hard for them to teach with.

I think this is very astute.

For example, I ended up deciding on McRuffy Color Math, not because I read overwhelmingly positive reviews or thought it would perfect for my child but because I read a few select reviews that made me believe *I* would be able to teach it and would personally find it enjoyable. Math isn't my thing, and I think at this point I am the key piece to the puzzle here and I need to be able to teach with the materials I have on hand.

But, this is again a big "We'll See!" and I haven't actually used it yet. :lol:

There are sooooo many reasons (at least, in my case), but one big one is not being able to really look at a curriculum thoroughly. The samples on the sites are just not enough. I've looked at samples, done tons of research and read reviews, and still had problems with certain curriculum because if I had seen it all, I wouldn't have purchased it.

I did some curriculum hopping the 1st 2 years but now I feel like I know what I like and what I don't on most subjects... and then some subjects, like science, for example, it really can be better to use different programs at different ages.

We started out, our first year (grade 2), using workbooks from B&N and the local PT store. We didn't have a lot of $$ to spend and we did what needed to be done. DS didn't suffer in the least, honestly. It was just what we needed to "de-school" and hit the basics.

By year 3 I'd found SOTW and started it--LOVED IT and we're about to finish up SOTW2 next month!! I can't say enough good things about this program for grammar stage students--I'm a little worried that I can find anything that compares for logic stage! That will be another big curriculum jump, when we get there. We will finish up SOTW 3 & 4 before looking elsewhere for History though. :)

I bought MUS in 3rd to help him drill in those multiplication tables (worked wonderfully!) but quickly realized that wasn't going to be a full-year math program for him (he finished Gamma (I think? Or was it Delta? IDK! It's not in front of me but it's the multiplication one!!) he finished it in 10 weeks! Found MEP & Singapore at the end of 3rd and never looked back!--we will finish elementary math with Singapore and possibly even use Singapore's upper level math as well. We've dabbled with LOF but really don't have much time now that we're using some Singapore supplements as well as MEP Online.

English has been something that I commit to each year, and by the end of the year decide to do something different. We did FLL & WWE in grade 3. I just wasn't a huge fan of the scripted teaching. We tried k12 materials this year and it has been a LOT of work for ds. I can not say he hasn't learned anything because he really is doing well with it, it's just SO MUCH that I don't think we're going to do it again next year. :confused: We started Latin this semester and *something* is going to have to give. So I'm going to just do Lit & Grammar with him next year and K12 comes as one program that has EVERYTHING, you can't break it up. :( SO--I'll put together my own LA for him next year using the Edcon Classics & Easy Grammar.

Science, we really haven't found anything we enjoyed science-wise until just this semester--we just started Aha! Science and he is really excited about it!!! :D It's sort of like the MPH workbooks from Singapore (the math folks) but it's all online and interactive--keeps his attention and seems more like a science "game" than "work". ;) Just his style!!!!! :tongue_smilie:

I am positive I will probably NEVER find one curriculum that we'll stick with through high school--there are just too many variables in both the curriculum, and the changing student, to stick to ONE PROGRAM and feel like I've done a good job. A boxed curriculum, for this very reason, would never work for us either. :001_huh:

I always found it to be a bigger problem if the curriculum did not match the teacher's style/resources than if it didn't match the child's style. A comfortable teacher can be a bridge over the inevitable gaps that all curriculums have. I think some parents hop because they are trying too hard to match the child with materials that are too hard for them to teach with.

:iagree: A curriculum needs to appeal to me if I am going to effectively teach it. This is our third year hs'ing and we have completely changed up language arts from what we originally chose. That is the only real change we have made. Everything else was a good (or good enough) fit so we kept it. I dislike change and am an expert at making things work by tweaking so something has to REALLY not work for me to want to change. ;) Our language arts REALLY didn't work for about a year before I made the change...and never looked back.

OP, you can see what we are using in my siggie.

I rarely hop--usually what I do is find some way to make something work for a semester or a year if possible, because it's expensive to switch mid-year. However, as I've become more experienced, I am learning when a "hop" makes sense. When something you thought was going to be a great fit just isn't working, and you've looked ahead & it's not just a "rough patch" in the curriculum, it's ok to cut your losses, chalk it up to "Teacher Education," and try something else, even mid-year. So I guess I would say, don't be afraid to switch, but have a well-reasoned out switch--don't just switch because the grass seems greener in another curriculum field! Switch to solve a problem, to fix something that isn't working, and that can't be solved by Mom switching approaches.

First rule of curriculum shopping--don't fix it if it ain't broke!

An example of a time I switched--my son was really struggling with the first math program we used, I knew he hated it, and I just didn't think it needed to be that way. We made it through the year & then I showed him a different curriculum. He looked from that one back to the first one and said, as a 7 yo, "The makers of this book don't want children to understand math." If that's not an endorsement to switch, I don't know what is! In this case it was the approach--the first program used a discovery-oriented approach, and he felt they were purposefully withholding information, and then he didn't like it that I had to explain it.

The second was better but not great, so after another year, I sat down with my son, made a list of things he would like in a curriculum, and showed samples of ones that would fit his description. We chose the one that was a close match. It wasn't exact, but I was able to modify enough that it was a good fit for us. When he hit a rough spot (subtraction with carrying in multi-digit numbers, long division...fractions...), we didn't pitch the program because of complaints--we figured how to work through it because overall I knew it was working & these were just tough spots.

I really don't consider that hopping though. I think of hopping as trying one thing after another, year after year, always switching and never really knowing why this or that doesn't work, OR doing a lot of switching in one year.

I agree with much of what TXMary wrote--sometimes it's the attitude (mom or child) that needs to change, and not everything is going to be fun! Sometimes we have to do hard things (like long division...).

I do find that tears can be an indication that something needs to change, and also that extreme frustration can be an indication that there are possible undetected learning disabilities. But I think it comes back to knowing your child, and knowing when the complaints are just "I don't like this" vs. when they are a deeper issue. Sometimes that can be hard to discern though. Learning Disabilities often present as "laziness" or "stubbornness." Sometimes these are coping mechanisms (allowing a child to "hide" what they perceive as their inadequacy), and sometimes they are working harder than the average kid has to and we just can't see it--we see lazy and then we see an explosion of frustration or tears and wonder where that came from.

I think it's good for us to ask lots of questions and learn from each other!

Merry :-)

When something doesn't work for us, we just drop it, and don't necessarily sub anything else in. I wait a while, surf the net (heehee), maybe pull out some things we already have at home, weren't using, but could potentially use. Sometimes I decide to buy something new, but sometimes that is to add in a new subject. We started grammar this semester so I bought a book for that. I've been considering adding a more structured/planned out writing program - WWE - for most of the month, but today I'm almost convinced just to do it all myself from our content subjects, so I'm not buying....quite yet ;).

Something I DO want to say is I think phonics is the MOST hopped! Most parents do 3-4 programs before their child learns to read, but it isn't often the program, it's readiness to blend ;). If a child can't 'get' reading, stop. Wait. DON'T BUY. Then just try again. Wish I'd had that advice!

Also, if a program doesn't work for ME (it needs to be pretty laid out and straight forward) then it just isn't going to happen. I'm a bit of a scatterbrain!

Well, I've not been at this for long, and yet I've already hopped a few, despite having researched it to death.

For us, it was a matter of my chosen curriculum really not fitting with my child's needs. It (sing spell read and write) looked great on the cover, and appealing to all learning styles. Except, my child was ready to read at a faster pace than he was to able to keep up with the writing demanded of him! So, we tried 100EZ lessons, lent to us by a friend, and buying him a seperate writing curriculum, which we started, until his occupational therapist recommended handwriting without tears. I really didn't like the style of 100EZ lessons and nor did my ds, but happily, in the course of more hunting, I learned of WTM and OPGTR.

So, in the course of about 6months, I went through 3 phonics programs and 3 handwriting programs! Poor squirt!

I don't think I would have made the same mistakes were I a more experienced hs'er. For us, it was a learning curve. And I'm sure there still is more of the same to come!

Edited by Celia

We're only coming up on the end of our 2nd year so take it for what it's worth...

It seems like there is a big difference in switching content vs. skill subjects. I was fortunate to pick great curricula all around for ds6 last year but I wouldn't hesitate to choose something different for history, science, art, logic, or geography if I found something that looked better than what we're using. It would take some significant reasons to switch LA or math, though. We do have some leeway hsing from the beginning. There's a lot of forgiveness in the early grades.

Ha! I don't hop, I just add. :D

I wondered this same exact thing back when we started in the fall. I researched for months and knew I had the cat in the bag when I chose curriculum.

Unfortunately, math and penmanship were both a bust. Math was a bust due to my inability to teach it (not certain it was a good fit for dd either) and writing was a bust due to my daughter. We've switched math and I made up my own penmanship sheets and all is good. :)

It seems like there is a big difference in switching content vs. skill subjects. I was fortunate to pick great curricula all around for ds6 last year but I wouldn't hesitate to choose something different for history, science, art, logic, or geography if I found something that looked better than what we're using. It would take some significant reasons to switch LA or math, though. We do have some leeway hsing from the beginning. There's a lot of forgiveness in the early grades.

Ha! I don't hop, I just add. :D

:iagree:I'm SOOOOO guilty of adding more and more! I've learned alot of hard lessons because of that, though. I also absolutely do not make math or LA switches lightly. I've done it, but with long (LONG!) periods of thought, discussion, weighing, comparing, blood/sweat/tears... most of us have been there, so you get it.

My reasons for curric. hopping have been:

1. When I was new, I didn't know what I liked, or what curric. matched my child's abilities. I also didn't know where to look for advice on curric. It was over a year before I was pointed towards Rainbow Resource, and 3 1/2 yrs. before I discovered WTM. Now (6 - 7 yrs later), I know what I want provided for me in curric's for certain subjects, and what I'm okay without.

2. Taking advice from other homeschoolers as gospel (again, when I was new). Lesson learned: Find out if they even use it, for how long, w/ how many kids, and how it's going in the long-run. What works for 1 doesn't always work for another.

3. Trying to follow an ideal artificially imposed (by myself) from outside myself. Again, being new(ish) and uncertain, and then again after reading WTM, I felt as though I had to "follow the rules" to a 't', as if it were a formula. I bought a LOT of recommended curricula. I was holding it up to someone else's standard, not having discerned my own. Insecurity had a strong hold, and I feared that if I did not accomplish the set-forth ideals, I'd not provide a rigorous enough education. I learned (& am still learning) to lift my head out of the books (not that I don't still love them) and behold all of life as a whole; thorough academics can blossom without school being drudgery. When you find inspiration, ideas, and drive from within, you can follow that without confusion in understanding the method and without trying to drag yourself through someone else's plans. Customize; make them your own plans. ETA: I still hold TWTM as the higher end of my standards, but there's more than one way to skin a cat - there are resources out there that help me reach my goals that aren't necessarily "The Recommended Resource".

4. Discipline - or lack of - on my part. Being too lax with school, allowing myself to be moved by my dc's whims/whines. I believe in balance - there is room for interest-led education and then there are just some things that have to get done some way, somehow. I have learned to weigh this "hopping" business seriously, and though I research & compare alot on this board, I don't switch easily anymore. This isn't a rigid rule against switching; it's discerning which circumstances truly warrant it.

5. Attempting too much at once - I piled too much on my plate and then bemoaned the load. Rather than accept it and decide to pace myself or simply cut some things, I searched for a substitute that would accomplish everything I was doing, but simpler, easier to use. I accept now that I cannot put such a load on myself or my dc.

Those are my nuggets'o'learnin'. :D

Edited by Annabel Lee

Great thread. I was a hopper and boy did I pay for it come 4th grade and higher. My dc Especially paid for it b/c of remediation.

I think there are a few reasons I hopped.

1. Inexperience as a teacher. I didn't really have the skills to properly identify what a good program even was. So I used what was gifted to me (there was a reason those folks got rid of some of that stuff :D) until I realized it wasn't that great (which was generally after witnessing the deficits).

2. Hopping on the wagon..too much of that goin' on around here! Oh, that looks good, let me get it, too! I duplicated too often for this reason. I wasted an entire year of math once b/c I changed something that didn't need to be changed. AND I spent a fortune doing it.

3. Trying to find the right fit. Some of my efforts were genuine b/c I knew something wasn't quite right, but b/c of my novice, I wasn't always able to identify what was missing. I know better now, but in the beginning, not so much.

4. New things became available that were better than their old counterparts. Exposure around here makes a difference in a positive light, too.

5. As my family grew, my needs changed. TOG is necessary for my sanity. So is the ability to combine science. Neither was an issue when I had young and only 2 dc in school.

6. Kids hated some things. You can only take so much boredom and groaning before you at least look at something different.

7. Finances mattered too. Along the way, one year I have little money, other years a lot.

I can tell you this much....hopping has been a bad, bad experience for me. My boys had really tough middle school years b/c we had to play catch up on many things my hopping damaged. The LIttle League will have the benefit of my experience in many ways and there will be NO hopping for them. I have Elementary school all planned out and it will not change. My budget thanks me!

Well, we did a bit of hopping in first grade, mostly because things I thought were fabulous, at least in theory, did not at all appeal to DD--most notably, Miquon math, but also 100Lessons and, to a lesser degree, HOP for phonics (we continued using the HOP readers into this year, but not the actual curriculum). When it was obvious what I'd picked for those subjects wasn't working, I switched up with DD's input.

We haven't done any switching this year, but I did drop history, Spanish, and science as formal subjects this year because DD wasn't very interested, we have limited time for schoolwork, and I wanted to focus on math and language arts. She's made much better progress with the tighter focus.

We don't curriculum hop within the year for two reasons: 1) Dh works hard for our money, and I think it's poor stewardship to buy curriculum, sell it for pennies on the dollar, and then buy something else. 2) We're finishers. Dd is quite vocal about switching around after we get started. I often get tempted by the latest and greatest, but if I even mention to her that we try something new, I get a resounding "no." Our planner has a sheet in the back for completed curriculum, and dd loves to see that page full of entries.

With that said, we might not continue with a curriculum provider the next year. For example, we switched to a different science this year because we wanted to try a different approach, but we finished the book from the previous year. Also, I might add new materials to the schedule; i.e. Writing with Ease this year, or set something aside; i.e. MCT Paragraph Town at a specific lesson, but I end up using everything we buy. We are homeschooling our last student, and we are using some of the same materials with her that we used when we first began homeschooling.

As Tina mentioned, constantly switching curriculum during the year can have bad results, especially with math.

Edited by 1Togo

I don't switch mid-level but I have switched to a different curriculum rather than going on to the next level of the original one.

I think this will apply to me as well, and it is probably the best way to handle budget crunches.

As a new homeschooler myself, I understand your angst. I researched everything I have relentlessly, but the sad truth is that you don't know how anything is going to work until you try it. I have a couple of little things I am NOT going to be continuing with at the start of next year.

I have found the biggest problem to be not knowing exactly what level my son would be in. Even placement tests are limited, at to my way of thinking. I'm know him pretty well and can judge if he will like something, but on the other hand, I totally missed it in a couple of areas.

I'm sure as time goes by you will be able to more accurately judge what works best. Until then, you may have to work with a program that isn't exactly your favorite. You can always tweak the programs a little. Good luck to you!

Great thread!

I love your article, Mary. You articulated how I've always felt about switching curriculum.

We fall in the camp of people who generally finish up something, even if it isn't ideal, and then switch the following year. This really only applies to content areas. I have not switched curriculum in skill areas, as I fear that would create more problems than it solves. Instead, I supplement or change my teaching approach until we move past a hurdle.

I think purchasing all in one programs probably leads to curriculum hopping for some people because it is too hard for one program to fit a child in every area. I also agree that having not held a program in your hands to look at it makes it hard to really *know* what it will be like.

ETA: Where I have curriculum hopped is between kids. Sometimes what worked for dd1 isn't right for dd2. In another case, I was tired of looking at the same teacher guides for 3 years. I just couldn't bring myself to do that program with dd2, even though she probably would have enjoyed it.

Edited by Julianna

When my oldest was 4yo, I purchased a math and an LA that was *supposed* to take my dc k-3. (young and naive, I was:lol:)

The LA program was never going to fit. I worked with it, tweaked it, tried it again as written, tweaked it again...k-1st grade. I finally sold it, and found something that works for us. I don't see us leaving this program until we finish all the levels.

The math was a great find! I still use it, and will with all my dc...but it isn't *all* I will use for math k-3.;) I've found that my ds gets bored with doing the same *format* of math if that's all we do for 2 weeks straight. Using 2 maths (or more:tongue_smilie:) keeps him moving forward and challenged.

I started out with Amblesideonline, until I found *1* book I refused to use (a central book...which changes the WHOLE thing)...I am using this as a framework now and plugging in my own book selections (most of which are still from the AO list).

I think it's OK to make a mistake or 2 along the way...but the sooner you find your groove, the better.

I think it's OK to make a mistake or 2 along the way...but the sooner you find your groove, the better.

:iagree:And as a newbie, you just need to expect that not *everything* will work. But you do need to evaluate why it's not working. Do you just like something better? Or is something bringing you and your child to tears everytime you pull it out? The program you want to switch to, do you need to start at the beginning, or can you jump in in the middle without losing ground? Those are some questions to think about.

Expect to need some changes in your initial lineup. Budget for that possibility. If money is tight, buy used as much as possible so when you sell it, you're not really out much, if any, money. Also look for non-consumable curriculum if budget is tight. And if you can, see the curriculum in person before you buy. Unfortunately, I didn't have that option with a lot of stuff, because everyone I know locally uses A Beka and Saxon (and I'd already seen Saxon at his private school and knew we were NOT continuing it). Most people have never heard of any of the curriculum I'm using (and I'm using stuff that's pretty common here on WTM, but local folks usually just use A Beka and Saxon because that's what everyone has used for the last 20 years or whatever).

Also, don't purchase until you're about to start. That will help with the curriculum hopping. I initially picked out my whole lineup back in September. Then in October, I'd changed everything but spelling. Then in November, I'd changed everything again except spelling. In December, it was time to buy, and I changed spelling... twice... and of course after starting, I changed back to the initial spelling choice. So if there's a curriculum that stays on your list for months and months and you last minute decide to make a change, the original one may be a better choice. ;)

Well, I think tinkering with the plan is one of the big benefits of homeschooling, as long as it's done reasonably. In our case, we started the year with Easy Grammar, which worked well for my 6th grader, but my 4th grader HATES it. So we dropped Easy Grammar and added MCT. The 4th grader LOVES MCT. (that's the Michael Clay Thompson language arts program) I love MCT too, although am still doing EG with the 6th grader.

Many of the things we're doing are working great, some is okay, but since I'm working on plans for next year, several things are slated for a change.To me, it's very satisying to switch from something that was dreaded, to something that is now loved.

But when expense is an issue, you can always wait until next year to make a change.

Our "hits" this year have been: Life of Fred math (I use as a supplment); MCT, Progeny Press Guides for Lit, Lightning Lit, and Nancy Larson Science (pricey, but easy for me, and the both LOVE it and retain it). Oh, Time Travelers series on CD (to print out) is good too.

Misses: Easy Grammar (for one child,not the other); All American History (too dry); Voyages in English (same).

I'm always actively looking ahead, but we only make a change if I think we're not getting a whole lot out of something. Even if I overspent -- ugh, I have TWO volumes of the All American History that he hates, plus workbooks and Teacher Editions. Live and learn! Don't buy too far ahead until you know they like something.

Good topic, thanks for bringing this up!

Speaking from experience as a support group facilitator and home educator of ten years I think the reason parents "curriculum hop" are due to a couple of reasons.

1. Failure to understand the concept of home education.

These parents don't research their topic before taking the plunge.

They look through a few catalogs, go on a shopping spree and then wonder why Johnny and Susie aren't learning.

What the need to understand is each curriculum is based on an educational philosophy/method.

Start by reading up on educational philsophies/methods.

Choose a philosophy/method, then begin choosing resources to assist you in your academic endeavors.

The public libraries have a wealth of information on the topic.

I know from experience, because when I was pg with Dd I checked out over 20 books on the topic. After going through the stack I narrowed my choice down to three: "Well Trained Mind" by Jessie Wise and SWB, Debra Bell's, "The Ultimate Guide to Homeschooling" and "A Charlotte Mason Companion" by Karen Andreola.

In the end Dh and I chose the Well Trained Mind because...

A. Jessie and Susan did the best job of presenting the material in an easy to understand format.

B. The content of the book was sequential in presentation.

We didn't have to figure out what direction they were taking us.

Jessie and Susan had charted a clear path, all we had to do was to follow it.

This is very important if you are logic minded and married to an engineer. LOL!

C. The authors spoke from personal experience as parent/home educator and home educated child/home educator.

2. Expecting the curriculum to educate their child with minimal involvement upon the part of the parent.

Honestly I think some of these parents expect the Good Fairy to come down, sprinkle fairy dust on their child and viola!

Now Johnny and Susie can read, write, do arithmetic and even read Latin over night!

The bottom line is home education is "work."

As a parent you have to roll up your sleeves and make the effort to ensure your child receives a quality education.

It is your responsibility as a parent to your child.

However in our society of "instant and quick fixes" responsibility has become a lost virtue.

Edited by kalphs

As a newbie, I have hopped b/c I didn't REALLY understand what *I* needed to be successful.

For example, I had read on here that Phonics Pathways & Ordinary Parents' Guide to Teaching Reading were both great resources for teaching a kid to read. OPGTR was dry & scripted & boring, but very effective. PP was the fun equivalent!

Of course I chose PP. But I've never taught a kid to read before. I looked at it for ridiculous amounts of time, but I just could not figure out exactly what I was supposed to do with it! So we hopped to OPGTR. Yep, it's boring, but I am a lot more confident that I am not screwing up something so important!

Edited by MeganW

So we hopped to OPGTR. Yep, it's boring, but I am a lot more confident that I am not screwing up something so important!

And you're probably learning how to not make it quite so boring. ;) That's what I've learned with that one and my 4 year old. :D A white board makes everything more fun!

Or they know how to discipline, but think there's a lot of value in ensuring that learning is engaging and fun and will make that a priorty when choosing curricula. :)

I am a PREVIOUS curriculum junkie/hopper. I have hopped mostly because of 1. my kids were not jiving with what we were using and 2. I read about something bigger and better that I just had to "try" (only to realize 99% of the time that it wasn't bigger OR better!).

That said, we started with HOD this year and absolutely LOVE it. This is the first year that I have done one curriculum from beginning to end of the year! And we plan to keep moving with HOD as we go along. It is working in my home. My kids are happy and I am too!

I think you are right, switching too much (especially in math and english where you build on what you learn each year) can cause real problems for your kids in the long run. I also think that when you pull a child out of ps in the later grades (3 and up), you have a lot of learning to do yourself...about where your child is academically, where the "gaps" are from their time in PS, and finding curriculum can be a nightmare for the first few years after you pull them out of ps. My younger son never went to ps and finding curriculum for him has never been as hard and I have not switched nearly as much as I did in the first two years with my older son (starting grade 4 in homeschool after 4 years in ps for K-3rd).

I'm another one that has been around long enough to see people jumping ship for the latest choice, and declaring after a few days "this is it!." I take issue with that. You really don't know a curriculum until you've used it for a full school year, and yet I see lots and lots of reviews that wouldn't meet that criteria. So don't assume that something is great/bad/OK unless someone has really given it a full try. A day, a week, or a month is not enough.

And the truth is that there are many choices that will work just fine for most families. I can make a curriculum that I'm 80% happy with work. If we finish a level and I'm convinced that there is a better choice out there, then we switch but I usually stick with the same. It has been years since I made any big changes. My budget and time just don't allow for a lot of curriculum jumping at this point.

You'll also notice that those satisfied with their curriculum don't post as often as those who aren't. Think about that.

When I first read the WTM (2nd edition), I was sold. The trouble was, I was all over the place in how I wanted to approach this kind of education. It seemed so insurmountable to me at the time. I ordered a few things which did not fit well with us, then tried again with some more. Finally, I've figured it out, at least for how it fits our life and goals. What I've planned for our next few years is very cheap, enjoyable, and doable (which is key for me!)

My best advice is to read, then read some more, and finally read some more again until you find peace with what you feel comfortable teaching. That's the most important part to me.

This is our first year homeschooling and I did so much research. I am finding that I will be switching math for next year. However we are using it and it is working, but just not challenging enough for my math minded boys.

I did however, switch mid-year from TOG and bought traditional social studies books and workbooks that would be used in school. I didn't want an entire curriculum, I just wanted to replace our history. So, I found an inexpensive option that works for us the rest of the year. TOG was just not working in terms of resources at my library, planning ahead to get what resources I could, and the difference in ages was too much. I would return to it as my children are older but right now, it doesn't fit us.

I worry about myself and my love of curriculum already. But, I am committed to find what works and stick with it. I don't want to switch constantly because I want something new. I could easily fall into that so I know I have to set limits on myself. Knowing this about myself should be half the battle right? LOL

Good luck.

I haven't done a lot of curriculum hopping with my younger two, but with my oldest, yes. Because he is our guinea pig. ;) I found it happening a lot more in the earlier years when I was newer and everything was just so exciting. Sometimes we get convinced of a different approach. I just did somewhat this year, but switched back painlessly in January. After having used a more CM approach for years, I thought I should be more textbook for 7th grade and up. Well, we were shriveling up so in January I had DS just finish reading the textbook (a whole a chapter a day, which would have taken 8-10 days if done as intended) and we are going back to unit study/CM approach to history and he is flourishing again. Same with science. I don't feel there are any gaps or disadvantages. Better to know it now then struggle the rest of the year and lose the love to learn. For Math next year I will switch curriculum because what I am using won't work in the upper levels w/o dvds, but at that level, math is math.

I think the key is that if you are switching, know WHY you are switching. Not just because a kid is bored, crying, etc., or because your BFF is using XYZ, or because you don't like it. In our case, I bought into the mindset that to have a serious, college prep education, I had to use textbooks. That just isn't true and I saw how making that change changed our school and I didn't like it. So for me, it was an easily remedied change. But I agree is something that should be taken seriously and not just a flip of preference.

When I first started looking at curriculum when my oldest was around 4, I had a newborn. I researched for awhile and bought what I thought would work best for us for kindergarten at 5. However, I was a newbie who didn't know any other homeschoolers and had limited time to search. Due to a number of factors in my life, my inability to really spend the time to search lasted until this year. During the K-3 years for my oldest, I feel that she received a decent education. However, one of the main reasons that we decided to homeschool was that I wanted to give my children an excellent education where they will be challenged and not bored, while at the same time developing a love for learning. In evaluating where we were this past September when I could finally breathe, I felt that I was falling short of those goals. I was finally at a place though where I felt I could spend the time and focus on finding some new materials. Again, my child is doing well academically and would probably score very high if we did any testing, but that's not enough for me.

So anyway, this year, I have started to explore my options. I LOVE looking at various curricula choices, and the best way that I know how to really evaluate something is to hold it in my hands and look through it. We are at a place financially where I can afford to buy the things that I'd like to see (but I do try to buy used as I love a bargain) and resell if I'm not happy with what I see. In the meantime, my oldest is continuing with some of the things she has used in the past, but I am adding in new things periodically as we completely stopped doing certain things before the start of this year. I am trying to find things that are interesting, fun, inspiring, etc.... Not everything we use will fit that criteria, but some of it will. I don't want my kids to go through the motions, doing the least amount of work possible to satisfy someone else's idea of what an "A" is like I did (I don't grade though). I want them to be excited about learning, and where we were was not very inspiring.

For my 5 year old, I started out the year with the same things I used for my 9 year old when she was the same age because I had the material and just always assumed that I would reuse it. Two weeks into the year, I realized that although my kids could learn from this material, that it wasn't what I was looking for for them. I put it all away (to maybe sell someday :lol:), and started anew. I felt so relieved and refreshed by my decision. As a new homeschooler, I had so many fears about my own ability to teach my kids, what they might miss out on, etc.... Now I have so much more confidence and the time to really look for what I think will work for our family, so I'm researching.

If sticking to one curriculum works for some families, then great. I place no judgements on the choices that others make. I do think some of the negativity I'm reading about when it comes to judging those who do "hop" is amusing. Luckily, I am secure in my own choices and am ok with hopping at this point in our homeschooling career. It's the right choice for my family right now. It is re-energizing me and making me excited about homeschooling, and my kids are learning and growing. I love our life! I have found a few things that I'm really excited about, but in other areas I am still looking. This doesn't mean that I don't discipline my kids and need to amuse them to keep them happy, or that I haven't done any real research, or that I'm looking for a "perfect fit" that teaches my children without my being involved. :lol::lol: It merely means that I think there are some excellent materials out there that I have yet to physically hold in my hands and evaluate. :tongue_smilie: (now, my idea of excellent materials might be completely different from someone else's ideas, and that's ok too) I am a tweaker and will always change whatever I have to suit our needs best, but it helps to start out with something that I like. :001_smile:

Good blog post and I completely agree. Sure there have been things that just didn't click and I've changed it, but most times it was my second guessing that made me change in mid-stream of using a curriculum when the young 'uns threw their "issues" at me.

Not anymore. Like you, I can tell when it's working and when it doesn't, but I don't back down from the whining anymore. They may hear me say "suck it up, buttercup" and they know that's the end with me. I also throw in a..."don't get mad, get Glad", too. :lol:

Kids change, circumstances change, goals change, life changes. I know with my oldest, I had my plan in place and then finding out he has a learning disability changed everything and forced me to try several different approaches until I found one that fit him. What I was able to do with my oldest 3 kids when they were in kindergarten is very different from what I'm able to do now. It's very different trying to teach a 2nd grader, a kindergartner and a preschooler from trying to teach a 7th grader, a 5th grader a 4th grader, a kindergartner and preschooler. I have much less time to plan and carry out the types of projects and lessons I used to do with my older ones when they were little. As a result I use different curriculum that works better with our current circumstances rather than run myself ragged trying to make our old curriculum work now. My goals when I first started homeschooling were very idealistic and very much my ideas of what would make my kids happy and successful. As I have grown and changed as a homeschool mom over the years, my goals are much more realistic and more in tune with my kids and their strengths and weaknesses. I might have been able to just stick to my guns and force my creative child to follow a rigorous college prep track that would have him starting college at 16 and have a doctorate by 21 but what good is all that success if he not happy? What if a more computer electronics oriented course of study that would have him doing a job that makes him happy and successful by his early 20s is what he needs? So my goals have changed over the years as well making some switches in curriculum necessary.

Also I have more than once researched and contemplated and double checked and second guessed and even eventually ordered what looked like the perfect curriculum for our goals and circumstances only to find that in practice it doesn't work that well for us. It all looked good on paper but when we actually tried to implement it, for one reason or another it just wasn't a good fit either for learning styles, teaching style or our circumstances.

Just to clarify, I didn't necessarily mean choose a curriculum at age 5 and use it until they graduate! I was talking about the tendency I see on the boards to hop curriculums during a school year, which made me wonder why exactly this happens.

Of course I can see if a kid or mom/dad is completely miserable then a change may be in order but it just looks really expensive and confusing to me to change around so much right in the middle of a school year. Then again my perception of this happening and the reality that it probably happens not very often are two different things! I probably zero in on those types of posts the most because I am a Newbie Nervous Nellie.

:tongue_smilie:

Thanks everyone for your thoughts!

I'm another one that has been around long enough to see people jumping ship for the latest choice, and declaring after a few days "this is it!." I take issue with that. You really don't know a curriculum until you've used it for a full school year, and yet I see lots and lots of reviews that wouldn't meet that criteria. So don't assume that something is great/bad/OK unless someone has really given it a full try. A day, a week, or a month is not enough.

And the truth is that there are many choices that will work just fine for most families. I can make a curriculum that I'm 80% happy with work. If we finish a level and I'm convinced that there is a better choice out there, then we switch but I usually stick with the same. It has been years since I made any big changes. My budget and time just don't allow for a lot of curriculum jumping at this point.

You'll also notice that those satisfied with their curriculum don't post as often as those who aren't. Think about that.

I post a lot because I'm new at this and I enjoy hearing from people who aren't. I am actually quite happy with almost all of the curriculum except one aspect, and I know what my mistake was in that particular area--I shopped with my self in mind instead of my son.

I also think people post a lot to offer non-judgemental advice to people who would like to have it, because it's always nice to talk to like minded people, especially if, like me, you are in an area sadly devoid of such people.