Menu

My son dropped his pinewood derby car

at the weigh-in tonight (he was told to leave it in the box, but he couldn't resist playing with it while he waited :sneaky2:) and then my dh told him to go sit at the table and he would help fix it, ds took it upon himself to squeeze gorilla glue over the axles and wheels while he waited for dh. :eek:

He didn't listen and now his car is ruined. He's been working on that car for weeks and it was blazing fast but now the wheels hardly turn. I hope he learned his lesson. :crying:

I'm sorry that he had to learn the hard way. I have a child who tends to be impulsive and has had to learn the hard way several times; it is heartbreaking as the parent to see that, isn't it?

It really is heartbreaking to see.

If he really learns from this, I will be overjoyed and life will be much easier for him... so here's to hoping that this is a hard learned, good lesson!

at the weigh-in tonight (he was told to leave it in the box, but he couldn't resist playing with it while he waited :sneaky2:) and then my dh told him to go sit at the table and he would help fix it, ds took it upon himself to squeeze gorilla glue over the axles and wheels while he waited for dh. :eek:

He didn't listen and now his car is ruined. He's been working on that car for weeks and it was blazing fast but now the wheels hardly turn. I hope he learned his lesson. :crying:

That's so tough.

It can't be fixed now, right? At our cub scouts the cars were impounded after the weigh-in until the race.

That's so tough.

It can't be fixed now, right? At our cub scouts the cars were impounded after the weigh-in until the race.

That's right, his car is in the impound and nothing can be done. I initially asked my dh if he could ask the cubmaster to let him take it home to be fixed and dh said, no way, he will never learn if we do that. If this was an accident where ds was in no way at fault, he would have asked but, sadly, ds did this to himself.

:crying:

That's right, his car is in the impound and nothing can be done. I initially asked my dh if he could ask the cubmaster to let him take it home to be fixed and dh said, no way, he will never learn if we do that. If this was an accident where ds was in no way at fault, he would have asked but, sadly, ds did this to himself.

:crying:

:grouphug:

I'm sorry!

I'm a meanie mom in situations like this. I have no sympathy or patience for kids when they do such stupid things, especially after expressly being told not to.

My dd has the tendency (worse when she was younger) to take the phrase "wait" to mean "go ahead and do it yourself" and she has endured lengthy heated lectures as a result.

I would be extremely upset that he ruined all his hard work and his racing experience due to hard-headed foolish behavior.

I sincerely hope he learns his lesson.

I'm a meanie mom in situations like this. I have no sympathy or patience for kids when they do such stupid things, especially after expressly being told not to.

My dd has the tendency (worse when she was younger) to take the phrase "wait" to mean "go ahead and do it yourself" and she has endured lengthy heated lectures as a result.

I would be extremely upset that he ruined all his hard work and his racing experience due to hard-headed foolish behavior.

I sincerely hope he learns his lesson.

Huh.

Natural consequences. He was specifically told NOT to take it out, and did it anyway. No punishment was necessary, because the act of defying what he was told made him break it....punishment in itself.

What are you talking about? :confused:

SOmetimes, as a mom, I have watched my children deal with the pain of natural consequences and have felt badly for them.

My HUH was because AHASRADA (seems to me) not to feel that way. She calls herself a meanie mom with no sympathy or patience for kids when they do such stupid things.

"Enduring lengthy heated lectures" is NOT a natural consequence.

"Enduring lengthy heated lectures" is NOT a natural consequence.

:iagree: I was not claiming that my reaction in these situations was ideal or preferable. For whatever reason, this type of behavior really pushes my buttons, and just reading about it frustrated me.

Yes, I do believe natural consequences are the best teacher in this case, and that lectures don't typically bear much fruit. I guess I was just trying to make the OP feel better about the situation, that her son obviously had a lesson to learn here, to take some of the sting out of the pain she was feeling for him. I was revealing an aspect of my personality that I am not so proud of in order to tell her she had handled it well, since I wouldn't have been able to be so gracious in her shoes.

His car did not make it to the finish line (no surprise there) but after the first race he didn't want to watch so he moved to the back row.

Thanks for your support everyone, my heart breaks for him but I hope this important lesson about listening and being patient will stay with him for a long time. :grouphug:

P.S. my dd won 1st place in the sibling race! :w00t:

:iagree: I was not claiming that my reaction in these situations was ideal or preferable. For whatever reason, this type of behavior really pushes my buttons, and just reading about it frustrated me.

Yes, I do believe natural consequences are the best teacher in this case, and that lectures don't typically bear much fruit. I guess I was just trying to make the OP feel better about the situation, that her son obviously had a lesson to learn here, to take some of the sting out of the pain she was feeling for him. I was revealing an aspect of my personality that I am not so proud of in order to tell her she had handled it well, since I wouldn't have been able to be so gracious in her shoes.

I know I have aspects of my personality that I am certainly not proud of, so you certainly aren't alone.

I am sorry I was less than gracious about your post.

His car did not make it to the finish line (no surprise there) but after the first race he didn't want to watch so he moved to the back row.

Thanks for your support everyone, my heart breaks for him but I hope this important lesson about listening and being patient will stay with him for a long time. :grouphug:

P.S. my dd won 1st place in the sibling race! :w00t:

:grouphug:Sometimes things happen. My brother had a beautiful show steer one year in 4-H. You spend hours and hours working with a show steer, so it was a bit of a pet. We'd had several grand champions (carcasses) and this one looked like the best we'd ever had. We were so excited about it. We had to have it into the fair early Sunday morning, so my brother brought it up close to the house Saturday morning and tied it to a tree. There was a storm that night, the steer spooked, wrapped itself around the tree and strangled itself. My brother spent the morning field dressing that beautiful steer. Now, my brother hadn't been disobediant, but the steer died as a result of his actions. It's a hard lesson for your son, but maybe he'll do better next time and save himself a bigger grief.