Menu

If you rent your home....

We are not very rent-savvy. We have owned all of our homes until this one. I never rented an apartment, except for a couple months when dh and I first got married.

We have a pretty informal agreement with the landlord. There is a written agreement, but it's not very detailed. (He cut out the agency after the first year.) He crossed out much of the initial agreement, as he doesn't want to micromanage our ability to enjoy this house and property. He has no worries about us not caring for the property or not paying our rent.

That being said, I formally wrote out a letter requesting a new dishwasher, as the topic of the dishwasher not working had been raised a few times, but not really addressed. I enclosed 2 quotes for dishwashers, including costs for delivery, installation, and hauling away this one, however stated we would be open to discussion if he had other ideas.

Well, now on Tuesday morning he called dh (it's a man to man relationship - arg) and said that yes, we will be able to get a new dishwasher, and he would be in touch, as he was going to look at what we had sent him. Now today he called dh and told him a new dishwasher will be delivered tomorrow.

I am glad we are getting one tomorrow. Yet I am frustrated, because I am worried we are going get the cheapest dishwasher he could find, rather than one he'd put in his own house.

Dh says I need to get used to the realities of renting. :glare:

Is it too much to ask for a discussion regarding the purchase of a major appliance? Or am I out of line?

:bigear:

yes, it's too much to ask. ;)

Really, it would be (way) beyond the norm to be consulted at all about any appliance purchase.

Just be grateful you get a new dishwasher. It'll be fine. You may be great renters, but you might be gone tomorrow & he'd have some other notsogreat renter trashing a fancy dishwasher.

Yeah - too much to ask. Be thankful you are getting a dishwasher at all! Many landlords would not put one in.

Well the lease states we are provided with all working appliances. So, yes, he either needed to repair or replace.

He just called, and although the one he purchased is not one I would pick, it's a dishwasher.

Thanks, ladies! I'll just be focusing on the fact that I shall hopefully no longer have raw hands! (Oh, and I better buy some dishwasher detergent!)

Yeah, definitely count your blessings. When our basement flooded and filled with reeking, nasty raw sewage, it took our landlord four days to have it fixed because he was at his lake home and didn't want to leave just to find a plumber. :glare: If our landlord even bought something new for our apartment, much less consulted us about it, I'd probably die from the shock.

We recently had the supplied wash machine go out. We could choose to repair or replace at our expense but because of wear / tear etc., anything other than the stove, refrigerator, furnace, water heater isn't really covered by him. We repaired it for $100. Eh. We weren't really unhappy - we figure we create more wear & tear than the average family. Plus, we're renting. We don't carry any risk if anything goes out or needs major repairs, etc. There are both joys & drawbacks to renting. ;)

So, no I think he was very thoughtful in replacing a non major appliance for your convenience. The last place we rented didn't have a dishwasher and we replaced the stove because it was so horrible. But we had a BARN and we were willing to do anything to have the goats, lol!

Sadly, when you rent, you usually get the cheapest product available unless you buy it yourself. I would just be glad that it's getting replaced. Any dishwasher is better than no dishwasher.

I have no dishwasher. I gave up that luxury by renting the only place in town with a gas stove.

But we had a BARN and we were willing to do anything to have the goats, lol!

Yes - I have a barn, too! And they are fine with me getting chickens, which I was supposed to get at the last house we owned, before we unexpectedly moved back here. (I've teased dh about getting goats, too.)

Well the lease states we are provided with all working appliances. So, yes, he either needed to repair or replace.

Or take it out and put a cabinet in. A dishwasher is not a necessary appliance, so I could see this option as well (unless the d/w as specifically mentioned in the lease as one of the appliances). As owners of a rental property, if we didn't have the money to put in a new dishwasher, my dh would probably frame in a cabinet and call it good.

But I'm glad you're getting a new dishwasher! :001_smile:

Or take it out and put a cabinet in. A dishwasher is not a necessary appliance, so I could see this option as well (unless the d/w as specifically mentioned in the lease as one of the appliances). As owners of a rental property, if we didn't have the money to put in a new dishwasher, my dh would probably frame in a cabinet and call it good.

But I'm glad you're getting a new dishwasher! :001_smile:

That's what many would do.

I agree with the rest that he only has to replace it with a working one, not one you would necessarily pick.

That's why when I wanted a better one, dh and I bought one and we take it with us from rental to rental (we're military so renting just makes more sense because of how much we move) We just take theirs out and store it until we are ready to move and then put theirs back in, make sure it's all working and we're good. It's never been a problem.

I have always had wonderful landlords. We do rent our current home and the dishwasher never worked well. Our landlord asked us to have someone look at it and take the cost off our rent. If the repair person could repair it, great, but if it had to be replaced then the deal was we would buy it and take it off our rent but she gave us a maximum amount. Our microwave works, but the handle is broken so we have the same deal.

In Texas, refrigerators are not included in necessary appliances, but she left one for us with the understanding that she would not repair or replace it if it broke.

Really, my dispute with her is that the brand new carpets were ruined by her previous tenants who only stayed for three months, and ran an animal shelter so there is cat/dogs smell stains everywhere. I asked to have the carpets changed to hardwood and offered to chip in half, but she doesn't want to until we move out (read: until we move out and she keeps our deposit). I amconsidering forking out the money adn doing it myself because my house smells bad and it is bothering mine and DS6's asthma.

If it means that much to you could have offered to chip in the cost difference between the serviceable one and the one you wanted.

This is what I would recommend under your circumstances. It's win-win; he gets a better appliance, and you pay just the difference to get what you want.

If it means that much to you could have offered to chip in the cost difference between the serviceable one and the one you wanted.

:iagree: Speaking as a landlord, that is. My last tenant wanted me to put in laminate flooring in the kitchen when I told him I was having the flooring replaced. I chose a good quality vinyl instead. There were many reasons I was not going to let him pick the flooring, even if he offered to pay the difference.

Also, as a landlord, I would not be so inclined to put in the cheapest dishwasher because I am also the one paying for repairs, etc. If a more expensive dishwasher means I am not getting as many calls from my tenant about the dishwasher breaking down, I am going to spend a bit more. Also, you might be a super tenant and take very good of things, the next tenant might not. So, putting in a better quality, longer lasting dishwasher could be a huge waste of money for him.

Sorry.

Be glad it is a new dishwasher. We had a landlord once buy a cheap used dishwasher once and replace our dishwasher that way. Seriously I think he bought a new one, put the new one in his house and gave us his old one. His wife knew way too much about all the quirks of the dishwasher they were putting in our house IYKWIM.

Most houses we have rented have had a refrigerator, but it depends on the market of the area. When we lived near an air base most did not come with a frig because the landlords assummed that most military families would already have that appliance when they moved. In this town most come with a refrigerator. They may not be great, but there is one in there.

I think you're incredibly lucky as a renter:001_smile:

House #1 came with no dishwasher. Shared washer and dryer that would not be replaced if broken.

House #2-4 No indoor bathrooms, mini fridge, water when city felt like it. (Of course this was not in the US:))

House #5 Stove and fridge but would not be replaced if broken. We ended up having to buy a new stove within months:glare:

That was just the first 3 years of marriage!:D

I'm sure it must be frustrating if you've always owned, but there have been some good suggestions of splitting the cost or buying your own and then you'd have the perk of taking it with you.