Menu

"Best" omega-3 fish oil DHA supplement for kids

If you can handle the high price, Nordic Fishies gummies taste really good! They taste like a really good sweet tart gummy with a faintly fishy essence. It is the one fish oil supplement that my picky son would take without a fight. I'd buy them all the time if they cost less.

our kids (6,8 and 10) just take a tsp of the Green Pastures Cinniamon Tingle cod liver oil...followed by a warm water chaser....helps get it down. I totally believe that GP is the best out there...and it comes in a variety of flavors and even textures...gel vs liquid...they are working on a gummy. the flavors are mint, oragne, chocolate and cin. My husband and I take a capsule (but they are kind of big). Since we are so sold on the quality of this product, we just don't give our kids a choice...it is just what we do...and they don't complain....even my picky 10 year old.

For young children, we used the children's DHA by Nordic Naturals. They are strawberry flavored, and none of my children complained about the taste at all when they chewed them. They did not like any liquid varieties I tried. Now they use 1/2 dosage of Nordic Naturals adult DHA. The typical American diet provides enough Omega 6 and 9, so I just supplement with Omega 3 rather than their 3-6-9 ratio.

To avoid contamination issues, make sure you choose a good brand. Good quality will cost more money, but it is worth it.

We always did the Nordic Naturals up until recently, but kept forgetting to go and buy more (the store isn't particularly convenient to us). The other day we saw gummy ones at Costco and bought those. They taste good, but I'm not sure how they compare in quality to the Nordic Naturals. Anyone know?

We've tried the Nordic Naturals fish but the kids aren't huge fans and they are big. It looks like Nordic Naturals DHA for Children requires them to take 4 softgels. Are they of a size the kids (nearly 5 and 9) could swallow or do they chew them? I'm much more likely to get DS to swallow a pill than to chew one, let alone 4. He HATES fish.

The nordic naturals liquid in lemon flavor tastes like lemon lollipops. No fishy taste. We've tried all the flavors and like lemon the best. We use the liquid because it's got so much more potency it gives you more bang for your buck. You can get it with vitamin D too so you don't have worry about low D in winter.

I just want to add about the Nordic Naturals, try to get the peach, lemon or orange flavoured. There is a strawberry version that is marketed as 'kid' friendly but it is in a smaller bottle and has a MUCH higher per unit price. The products are all exactly the same except for flavouring. My kids like the peach and I see grace'smom likes lemon. Don't go for the 'kid' version thinking it is only kid friendly option.

We always did the Nordic Naturals up until recently, but kept forgetting to go and buy more (the store isn't particularly convenient to us). The other day we saw gummy ones at Costco and bought those. They taste good, but I'm not sure how they compare in quality to the Nordic Naturals. Anyone know?

No idea how the quality compares, but my kids prefer the taste of the Costco gummies to the Nordic Naturals, and the price is right, so that is what I buy.

• 6 months later...
Guest youta

I think most of reputable brands produce pure fish oil capsules these days. By pure, I mean they are purified from the toxic chemicals like mercury and PCB. But personally, I've chosen a brand of fish oil that get their fish oil from clean bodies of water like those of New Zealand. I've been on Maxalife fish oil capsules for quite some time now because I trust that theirs is mercury free.

Are they able to swallow the soft gel or do they chew them? If they chew them, how do they taste?

My son could swallow the soft gels, and they are lemon flavored.

that said, his DAN!naturopath put him on an adult dose liquid. then he started swallowing the soft gels instead of popping them and complaining. (sigh)

Mine take 1 teaspoon of Ultimate Omega each day. It's very high EPA and DHA.

that's the OTC version of the "professional" version my DAN!naturopath recommended. so, a good one.

then my son announced he wanted it in pill form so he could swallow. grrr. I found another brand that is almost as high, but the pills are huge and he will frequently refuse. but they are enteric coated so they don't have the "fishy" aftertaste.

Are they able to swallow the soft gel or do they chew them? If they chew them, how do they taste?

Both! They are chewable softgels. Both of my kids started off chewing them (the 3/6/9 Junior) and then independently experimented with swallowing them. They can both swallow the softgels now. The softgels are tiny. Dh tried one and said it's not bad :lol:.