Menu

What do you use to cover bread while rising?

The first rise is no problem, cover with a towel in a big bowl. But after you shape it into loaves and have it rise again, what do you cover it with? I have yet to find something that won't stick to the bread. It says to cover with towel, but last time I did that I ended up with squashed loaves with lint and thread stuck to them:glare:.

Any suggestions?

lisa

The first rise is no problem, cover with a towel in a big bowl. But after you shape it into loaves and have it rise again, what do you cover it with? I have yet to find something that won't stick to the bread. It says to cover with towel, but last time I did that I ended up with squashed loaves with lint and thread stuck to them:glare:.

Any suggestions?

lisa

Perhaps an overturned pot? I do cover only with kitchen towels and never had a problem. Maybe my loaf is denser and does not get squished by a towel.

I use a towel, but it's one of those flour-sack-cloth ones (if that makes sense.) They don't stick, and they don't really have lint or threads to leave behind.

Dh always does the Saran wrap sprayed with oil, though, and that works great.

I know what towel you mean, I remember my mom used to use them.

I think I'll try the saran wrap. Thanks ladies!!

lisa

I pour boiling water into a shallow pan at the bottom of my oven and do all my rising in there. The steam warms the oven and keeps the dough from drying out. When I'm rising loaves, I do the same and just pull them out for a bit while the oven preheats to bake. Sometimes I'll boil some water in a Pyrex measuring cup in the microwave and use the microwave the same way (I can fit 2 loaf pans plus the cup in mine).

I've also used the Pam/Saran wrap method and I've dusted the tops with flour and used a tea towel. It all depends on what is going on and if I'm using my oven for other things. I do have to say that the loaves dusted with flour come out looking so pretty though :D

Ay Dios Mio!! I seriously need glasses! :eek: I thought the title of this thread was "What do you use to cover your breasts while nursing?" I was going to recommend this cape thingy that a friend of mine uses to nurse her newborn in public, but when I opened the thread and I saw all this stuff about bread I was like, "what the?" :001_huh::confused: Then I took a second look at the title of the thread and got it. Sheesh! I think I need a nap or something! :tongue_smilie:

I use a very large bowl with plenty of room for the dough to rise without reaching the top.

I put a little olive oil in the bottom of it. Then I put the rounded, deflated dough in. I move the dough around to cover it with the oil, and then I flip it over in the bowl and do it again to oil the other side. If the top is oiled, it usually can't stick to anything.

Then I put a non-terrycloth towel over the top of the bowl. It usually doesn't ever touch the bread, but if it did, as long as it was just a small area, it wouldn't stick. This is enough of a cover to keep the dough from drying out.

Then for the second or third rise, the one in the pan, I used to use a wok cover sometimes--have you seen those? They are really big domes, so you can put them around the whole pans on the counter, and they control the drafts. Usually, though, I let them rise in the microwave. Again, it's just to have a place to keep the drafts down. If I'm worried about the loaves drying out, which I'm usually not at this stage, I microwave a cup of water for 2 minutes in the microwave before putting the pans in. Then I put them in next to the cup, and have a nice steamy rise. I just have to make sure that no one needs to heat up coffee during that crucial period!

Edited by Carol in Cal.

For the first rise I use air-tight rectangular Snapware containers so that I can judge the rise accurately.

For the shaped rise: for rustic loaves, I dust with either flour or semolina, and I drape with a tea towel ecause I want to encourage a good skin. Over tender loaves I mist with olive oil (using my handy-dandy Misto) and lightly drape with plastic wrap, or place inside of a large food-grade quality plastic bag.

Edited by BikeBookBread