Menu

Taking standardized test when you can't read...

I'm not sure how this is going to work out. My 8 yo dd, whose learning difficulties I have posted about here before, needs to take her first standardized test this spring according to PA's homeschool law. The child cannot read. I don't see how this is going to work. At all. :confused:

I have been told that you don't need to have the student take the third grade test, that they can take the second grade test instead. I sent for a second grade test prep booklet, with sample questions, and received it in the mail yesterday... she will not be able to read any of it. She wouldn't even be able to read the directions, let alone all the words in each question.

Sooo....what should I do? PA doesn't accept the WRAT test anymore, which was largely oral. Our co-op administers the CAT test, and you can elect to skip the science and social studies sections, which we would certainly do. But is there anything else I can do? I just see total disaster awaiting, and a lot of stress for dd as she sits in that room with everyone else zipping through the questions while she can't make heads or tails out of any of it. Maybe I should look into administering a test here at home instead. Has anyone else had a non-reader who needed to take a standardized test?

I don't live in your state so I don't know your regulations at all, but can you read the test questions to her? You mentioned looking into doing the test at home - I'd definitely do that. If you can do it home then you're all set.

I'm SO thankful that we don't have any testing requirements. I'm also curious - what would your state do for a profoundly disabled child whose home ed program focused mainly around life skills instead of academic?

You can give the CAT at home. It doesn't require a 3rd party tester.

The directions are read to the students. She just won't score well when it comes to spelling and vocab, that's all.

What percentage does she need to make in order for you to keep hs'ing her? Here it's just "score at least in the 25th percentile." Is there a requirement like that?

http://www.setontesting.com/ Test $25

http://www.pesdirect.com/

https://www.familylearning.org/tests_cat.php

Do consider testing her in another setting like home. If you administer the tests yourself, she could begin with the math test vs. the LA tests. Definitely prepare her for the test in an non-stressful way and reassure her that she will have questions that are too hard for her right now.

And the test directions are read to the student by the test administrator.

If she has an LD, does she have to take the test, and can accommodations be made?

Edited by Tammyla

The Woodcock Johnson III is a good test for a non-reader. It is administered individually and only the parts testing reading require reading. It would be more expensive than something like the ITBS, but if she's 8 and not reading, an evaluation might be a good idea anyway, and the WJ-III is frequently a part of that process.

I think the Peabody test is similar to the WRAT. Most of the evaluators around here switched to that one when the WRAT dropped off the list. I don't know about the reading requirements, but I'm pretty sure the Peabody doesn't require writing. I think the child points to the answers or something like that.

Either way. I'd contact an evaulator and ask her what test would work best, and if they could administer it for you.

It looks to me that you can do the testing yourself - and in that case you could read it to her :)

Also - it looks as if this is to be part of a wider portfolio. In that case you could show everything else she has done all year, with an explaination of what she has done all year, etc.

I do highly recommend you either get an IEP or a written analysis by a neuropsychologist - it will come in very handy as she gets older.

1. Do you consider her to be 3rd grade? If not, then she doesn't need to test.

2. I would definitely suggest an individually-administered test rather than one done in a group setting. Some tests are specifically designed to be one-on-one, but any of them can be given that way. There's no advantage, IMHO, to putting her in a group situation if she's not up to it.

3. The Peabody seems similar to the WRAT (which was ideal for kids in this situation) - can you find an evaluator in your area who offers it? It is designed for kids with disabilities, and I believe it's one of those "stop when it gets too hard" tests, like the WRAT, so it shouldn't be too overwhelming.

4. The Woodcock Johnson Revised Tests of Achievement III is also given individually, but I don't know much about it.

5. Remember of course that in PA your child does not need to score at a particular level. You just need to show that the child is making sustained progress in the overall program.

See also http://www.askpauline.com - click on the testing page.

I have heard that the Peabody is good for situations like that. I know in the younger grades there is no reading at all, the test administrator asks all the questions verbally and it is 1 on 1 in your home. That is in MN.

I'm not sure if it this would be the same in 3rd grade though.

I'm not sure how this is going to work out. My 8 yo dd, whose learning difficulties I have posted about here before, needs to take her first standardized test this spring according to PA's homeschool law. The child cannot read. I don't see how this is going to work. At all. :confused:

I have been told that you don't need to have the student take the third grade test, that they can take the second grade test instead. I sent for a second grade test prep booklet, with sample questions, and received it in the mail yesterday... she will not be able to read any of it. She wouldn't even be able to read the directions, let alone all the words in each question.

Sooo....what should I do? PA doesn't accept the WRAT test anymore, which was largely oral. Our co-op administers the CAT test, and you can elect to skip the science and social studies sections, which we would certainly do. But is there anything else I can do? I just see total disaster awaiting, and a lot of stress for dd as she sits in that room with everyone else zipping through the questions while she can't make heads or tails out of any of it. Maybe I should look into administering a test here at home instead. Has anyone else had a non-reader who needed to take a standardized test?

Will they accept the Woodcock Johnson? It is also oral except for the parts that specifically test reading. It must be administered by someone trained, though. It should cost about $50-75. It is the most broadly administered individual achievement test, so I would be surprised if they wouldn't accept it. However, if they are showing a preference for CAT, etc. it's because they want to compare groups of homeschooled kids to groups of public schooled kids--to be able to compare apples to apples. (The CAT was designed to compare groups to other groups; it's not sensitive enough to be anything but a screening test for an individual student.) The WJ, however, is what is used in individual evaluations for LD's or giftedness.

If they don't accept the WJ, find out about accomodations that the schools allow for the CAT, etc. for students with LD's. Have you had her tested for LD's? This would typically be required before you can "unstandardize" the administration of a test.

I would check with other PA homeschoolers to find out what hoops you need to jump through for accomodations.

The Woodcock Johnson III is a good test for a non-reader. It is administered individually and only the parts testing reading require reading. It would be more expensive than something like the ITBS, but if she's 8 and not reading, an evaluation might be a good idea anyway, and the WJ-III is frequently a part of that process.

:iagree:

I would recommend you go with an evaluator who can administer either the WJ or the Peabody. There are a couple differences in the tests. My evaluator is able to use both, and we will be using the WJ for my 5th grader (personal choice).

And yes, check out Ask Pauline's site... a wealth of info there!

Unless your child has to go to a testing center and test with other kids, I don't see why you can't just read the test to her. My dd16 is in public school and has an IEP, and she gets a reader for tests if she wants one (she usually doesn't anymore, because she doesn't want to be different).

Tara