Menu

Anyone up for a guessing game? Guess how much dh spent for 6 Honeycrisp apples!

Dh called on his way home from work (as he does every day) and asked if I needed him to pick up anything before coming home. I asked him to stop for fruit at a local chain grocery store--knowing their reliability for good (but more expensive) produce. I didn't want him to have to go to more than one store to chase down good, cheaper fruit. :auto:

So...he came home with a bunch of bananas and 6 LARGE Honeycrisp apples--mmm...sweet and juicy! How much do you think dear, dear husband paid for the apples?

A lot, lol. I had never had them before and had heard they were delicious so I was very excited to see them at Safeway back this fall. I told DH we just HAD to buy some. Didn't even look at the price. They had them prepackaged in these little paper bags that held about 10-12 apples. After we checked out we were surprised by how much our total had been and wondered what was so expensive. Turns out the apples cost us around $21!!!! I was shocked and horrified that I'd spent that much on apples. They were delicious though. Our favorites by far.

O.k., folks. Here's the bad news...he spent $21.00 on 6 apples! They were $3.99 per pound, and each apple weighed almost a pound! Dh said he lost his mind! :lol:

But they were REALLY good.

I told him I'd better not find one rotting on the floor of his car! Can you tell that's happened before? :tongue_smilie:

Haha, I tried to cheat by looking at what I think is that store's ad...

... but for $3.99/lb, I'm sure that's not an advertised special! My two boys are drawn to the big shiny apples, and I have to work really hard to keep their hands away before they knock $8.00 off my grocery budget.

WOW! $3.99 a lb!!!!!! I didn't realize that they were this expensive in other parts of the country. Here in our area of Michigan I can get Honey Crisps for $.99 a lb. and in the fall during the harvest I purchase them for $16.00 a bushel and make applesauce and dried apple chips. Usually they are Amish grown and though not certified organic, have not been sprayed with any pesticides or exposed to commercial fertilizers.

Faith

O.k., folks. Here's the bad news...he spent $21.00 on 6 apples! They were $3.99 per pound, and each apple weighed almost a pound! Dh said he lost his mind! :lol:

But they were REALLY good.

I told him I'd better not find one rotting on the floor of his car! Can you tell that's happened before? :tongue_smilie:

Don't you just love sending a man to the store? My dh would remind me that we have a limited budget if I bought apples costing that much. But he would never think that it was too much for him to spend - mostly because he spends such little time in the grocery store he has no idea about what is typical. Oh, I love Honeycrisp though!

No, no, don't do it!

When I send my husband out I give him cash and say, "Remember, cash only and STICK WITH THE LIST!" :lol:

:D I once sent my dh into Home Depot to get ONE thing. He returned with TWO bags and put a dent in the budget. I have never asked him again.

In dh's defense, he knows I love Honeycrisp, so they jump out at him. And he knew I asked for apples. I just need to be more clear next time--DON'T buy any fruit that is over $2.00 per pound, Babe! And preferably much less!

What's funny, too, is that he bought some Honeycrisps (I had asked specifically for them, not considering that they would be so expensive) right after Thanksgiving and came home saying, "Do you know how much these cost????? I paid $9 for 6 apples!!!!!" Well, welcome to the new year of even higher prices...now it's $21 for 6 apples!

I have to laugh. I'm so grateful that this isn't a hardship for us. But we're definitely not repeating it!