Menu

So, what's for dinner?

Would you be willing to share your recipe?? This sounds heavenly!

Sure!

Bacon, caramelized onion, broccoli and gruyere quiche

Ingredients

• 1 deep dish pie crust (if I don't make homemade, I use Marie Callendar's frozen crust)

• 8 strips of bacon, chopped

• 1 smallish yellow onion or 4 green onions, chopped (I use yellow onion)

• 1 handful of chopped broccoli florets, raw

• 1/2 - 1 cup (4 - 8 oz) shredded Gruyere cheese- I err on the lighter side. This is a taste thing.

• 6 eggs

• 1 cup half and half or cream (I use half and half)

• few dashes of Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce

• 1/8 tsp salt

• a few grinds of freshly-ground nutmeg

• freshly ground black pepper or white pepper

Preheat oven to 400

• Prick the pie crust, and bake for 3 minutes; re-prick the crust and bake another 5 minutes. Remove from oven to slightly cool. Immediately reduce heat to 350.

• Cook the bacon until desired crispness, add the onions. If using green onions, saute just 1 minute. If using white or yellow onion, cook until translucent and starting to caramelize. Remove from pan and drain well on paper-towel-lined plate.

• Place the bacon/onion mixture in the bottom of the blind-baked, cooled crust. Arrange the broccoli florets over the bacon mixture. Sprinkle half of the desired amount of cheese over the bacon mixture.

• Mix the eggs, cream (or half-n-half), and other seasonings well.

• Pour over the top of the bacon/onion/broccoli/cheese. Sprinkle second half of the cheese.

• Bake 35 - 40 minutes, or until well-set and cheese is gently browned.

• Remove from oven and cool at least 10 minutes before serving.

This is also good with canned green chiles or a few tablespoons of your favorite salsa mixed into the egg mixture.

Edited by BikeBookBread

I'm leaning towards baked chicken nuggets made by dredging them in flour, then ranch dressing, and coated with crushed rice krispy cereal. Then serving that with Kraft mac and cheese. I never have been able to convert my kids to homemade; they just don't like it. And served with whatever veggie I can find...probably frozen peas.

We're a little low on food supplies and I've been watching Pantry Raid where the chef makes stuff like the chicken nuggets out of ingredients you wouldn't normally consider.

ETA: The chicken nuggets came out great. I ended up making homemade mac and cheese with cream cheese, parmesan cheese, cheddar cheese, and mozzerella cheese.

Edited by joannqn

Boiled onions. Whole onions boiled. yep that is dinner.

It is the price you pay for reading to your kids. Mine want to try things that people in books eat.

I am blaming Nancy Farmer and The Land of the Silver Apples.

We had lentil stew last night - yummy of course.

Tomorrow we are having meat pies.

That's awesome!

1 pan of pork chops with Arizona Seasoning (Penzy's Spices)

1 pan of pork chops with Chicago Steak Seasoning ( Penzy's)

Baked potatoes, green beans with onions

I needed to make 2 separate pans anyways so I decided to make 2 flavors :0)

Good luck with your move. I won't say anything about the weather in NC right now. Nope. Not me. :D

I saw the snow pics on facebook! We had to go buy pants, coats and socks for the kids.:tongue_smilie: At least I have a week in Waikiki after menstuff gets packed up and before we fly. I will be soaking up every drop of sunshine!

I saw the snow pics on facebook! We had to go buy pants, coats and socks for the kids.:tongue_smilie: At least I have a week in Waikiki after menstuff gets packed up and before we fly. I will be soaking up every drop of sunshine!

We got snow today, too. Even though I am so ready for sun and warm weather, the snow that fell today was THE most gorgeous snow I've seen, maybe ever. It looked like cotton balls falling out of the sky.

At any rate, soak up those rays! Hope your move is uneventful.