Menu

Now, I can't decide: history

Mosaicmind

I have spent the last several weeks looking at every history curriculum under the sun. I had been a loyal SL user until just recently and I won't go into why but we aren't doing it anymore. I thought I wanted to do TOG and was ready to at least purchase the 1 unit of volume 1. Now, I don't know what i want to do.

TOG is sooooo expensive and although I like what i see I don't that I can devote alot of time at the library making sure they have the books and reserving them online. I like SOTW too and it's cheaper but lacks more church history. I had MOH but to me it didn't seem to flow. Then there is doing history TWTM way but I am not sure I can incorporate enough Biblical history to satisfy me.

Maybe there just isn't anything out there that fits that bill. I don't know. I wanted to start anew this next week but I am running out of time. Does anyone have any suggestions?

My Father's World Creation to the Greeks . . . multiple ages, the Bible is the spine text :D, FANTASTIC Book Basket lists in the appendix of the teacher's manual enabling you to fill a library basket weekly (if you have a good library system :001_smile:. I simply log on to our library's website, reserve all of the wonderful books off the BB list, pick them up when they're ready.), balanced, literature based, notebooks, timelines, read alouds, dictation, roots study, etc. Really. The weekly grid is flexible and easy to use. Assignments and readings are meant to be used across the ages/grades with suggestions for how to adapt for youngers.

Choose something excellent and use it consistently. You will see results in your children. :001_smile: I am a Mom early in the home school journey and I've recently learned this lesson after being given that piece of advice. I was searching for the perfect spelling/LA programs and line-up. I was flip flopping about it and very stressed. Another Mom challenged and encouraged me to choose something excellent and then stick with it. She reminded me that excellent doesn't mean perfect. That has been life changing counsel for me in this home schooling process. I share it humbly!!

My Father's World Creation to the Greeks . . . multiple ages, the Bible is the spine text :D, FANTASTIC Book Basket lists in the appendix of the teacher's manual enabling you to fill a library basket weekly (if you have a good library system :001_smile:. I simply log on to our library's website, reserve all of the wonderful books off the BB list, pick them up when they're ready.), balanced, literature based, notebooks, timelines, read alouds, dictation, roots study, etc. Really. The weekly grid is flexible and easy to use. Assignments and readings are meant to be used across the ages/grades with suggestions for how to adapt for youngers.

Choose something excellent and use it consistently. You will see results in your children. :001_smile: I am a Mom early in the home school journey and I've recently learned this lesson after being given that piece of advice. I was searching for the perfect spelling/LA programs and line-up. I was flip flopping about it and very stressed. Another Mom challenged and encouraged me to choose something excellent and then stick with it. She reminded me that excellent doesn't mean perfect. That has been life changing counsel for me in this home schooling process. I share it humbly!!

I was doing that. I have been hsing for over 13yrs and most have been with SL, but it just isn't fitting the bill plus I had a falling out with the company....very long story. So, I need to make a clean break and find something else.

I had MOH but to me it didn't seem to flow.[/u] Then there is doing history TWTM way but I am not sure I can incorporate enough Biblical history to satisfy me.

We love MOH here. Which volume did you use? To me, volume I isn't her best work. I thought the flow was fine, but there wasn't as much to it as volume II and III though. I think she either has or is in the process of making a new volume I edition for this reason.

We do not make the cards, as she suggests. We saw it as busy work. Instead, we focused on literature that corresponds to the time period and a good timeline (both on paper and in our heads). I also add in some reports along the way.

It may not be for you, but if you can borrow a volume II to peek at, it might help.

I say MFW. We love it. I did TOG for a year and it did not work out for me. My library is tiny so I was buying all the books. That got very expensive fast! I tried the library once I saw that I was spending over $300 on books every quarter but it seemed anything I could get was on hold and I would get it a month after we were supposed to read it and that got frustrating. I also got burned out on planning all the time. Every quarter you gotta do it again! I think I was spoiled by MFW where it is pretty much planned out and I just do it. That is why I recommend MFW. It is rich, fun, varied, challenging, tweakable, easy on mom to implemet, and it gets done!

Diana Waring's Ancient Civilizations and the Bible:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/PublicStore/product/History-Revealed-Ancient-Civilizations-the-Bible-Full-Family-Curriculum-Pack,5657,309.aspx

You have a full plate with this one. It is a make it your own study with tons of background info on cd and in the book.

Simply Charlotte Mason Genesis through Deuteronomy:

http://simplycharlottemason.com/books/genesis-deuteronomy-ancient-egypt/

Not rigorous at all. Everything is planned but you can always add to it.

Both have studies that follow.

I haven't done this yet, so I don't know if it's good advice...but I am planning on using SOTW and Veritas Press cards together. There's a list somewhere (Paula's Archives, I think) that shows how to match the cards to the corresponding chapters. We will be doing Middle Ages next year, so I hope the VP cards will help to incorporate a lot of the church history.

I like SOTW too and it's cheaper but lacks more church history. I had MOH but to me it didn't seem to flow. Then there is doing history TWTM way but I am not sure I can incorporate enough Biblical history to satisfy me.

Maybe there just isn't anything out there that fits that bill. I don't know. I wanted to start anew this next week but I am running out of time. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I incorporated Bible history into SOTW1 using a Concordia Self-Study Bible in NIV to find the right years into which to fit in the Bible historical passages. It took about 1 1/2 years at a reasonably leisurely pace. It was wonderful, and quite easy. I would order books at the library or online from the AG, and read them and the primary spines and that was great.

Then in 7th grade DD did a semester of Church History from Concordia Voyages. That started with Pentecost and went through world history from a Christian perspective. I liked it a lot, and since she had already studied all of the SOTW books, it was nice to quickly review all that material with church history blended in to wrap that up.

This is excellent advice and I wish I had known it years ago when I first started. Now, soon to start our 11th year of homeschooling, I know that this is true. I'm looking forward to sticking with the 'excellent' something I have found and using it consistently with my younger children.

Thanks for sharing :001_smile:

I am sort of in the same boat. I almost got TOG, but something still doesn't feel right. I think it is too much $ also. I have finally decided to go with SOTW also. We have used it before, and my girls really like it.

You might want to check this out to schedule church history in with SOTW.

And these sheets are great for doing your scheduling with SOTW.

Katie

Were you already using SOTW with SL 6? You could continue with that and add something in for church history. SL 200 has a spine, or MFW does also, or you could get MOH 2 and just add in some here & there for church history if you don't like the overall flow.

If SL was working for you but you don't want to use their IG's or purchase directly from them for some reason, you may still find that many of their book selections could work for you. I went "off guide" this year (I'm using MOH 1, but have previously done MOH 2, and that one is really great for church history), and am fitting books around our history studies--I used SL, WP, MFW, Illuminations, DW as sources for ideas because no one thing seemed to fit what I wanted exactly. I know it's tough to be in that spot! Especially when you have used one thing for a long time!

Anyway, I don't know if your reason for leaving SL precludes you from ever using either a used guide or some of their book recommendations--if not, then I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater so-to-speak, as you make decisions. I thought & prayed long and hard last spring about "what worked" and "what didn't" when I was trying to decide what to do for this year. It can seem overwhelming--but looking ahead into next year now, it's not nearly so overwhelming as it was last year!

I don't think "sticking with one thing" has to mean the same curriculum when it comes to history and literature, and I also don't think it's a bad idea to change something--that's very different than changing every year etc... You've used SL a good long time & it's ok to try something else. "Sticking with one thing" can also mean thinking in terms of what works and what doesn't--if doing historical fiction with history is something that worked, you can keep doing that even if you don't use SL. If your kids love the Benge biographies, you can still do those w/o SL (there are tons of them from YWAM). If one part worked really well and another part was something you just tolerated--you can mix it up now.

Anyway, I hope you find what will work well for you. Merry :-)

I am sort of in the same boat. I almost got TOG, but something still doesn't feel right. I think it is too much $ also. I have finally decided to go with SOTW also. We have used it before, and my girls really like it.

You might want to check this out to schedule church history in with SOTW.

And these sheets are great for doing your scheduling with SOTW.

Katie

I really want to check out the church history schedule, but the link on that website doesn't seem to be working for me. Do you know, is there something special I need to do? Thanks!

I really want to check out the church history schedule, but the link on that website doesn't seem to be working for me. Do you know, is there something special I need to do? Thanks!

It doesn't work for me either. I am looking at doing my own SOTW schedule with church history added in. The one that was linked from Hannah's helps (?) I liked at first but then saw that it relied on other things I wasn't really impressed with. So, I am going "maverick". I hope to have a schedule nailed down by the end of this week.

It doesn't work for me either. I am looking at doing my own SOTW schedule with church history added in. The one that was linked from Hannah's helps (?) I liked at first but then saw that it relied on other things I wasn't really impressed with. So, I am going "maverick". I hope to have a schedule nailed down by the end of this week.

My Father's World combines SOTW and church history. It's in their Rome to Reformation year. We learned a ton. Remember that church history begins when Christ came (not when he died or later), and MFW RTR incorporates Ancient Rome in the same year as "Resurrection to Reformation" or "The Middle Ages" or "Reformation & Renaissance" for that reason. Many other programs stick Ancient Rome in the "Ancients" year instead of with church history, and MOH breaks up "church history" into three separate years.

It makes for a very full year, but MFW's got this one right, IMO. ;)

Another vote for VP.

We do the self-paced online for 2-6th grades and live online Omnibus for older grades. I love that the classes are conversational-style, and the dc are learning a lot. Textbook-based history just wasn't working for them and didn't work for me either. If I can't get excited, or even mildly interested in a subject, then we're just not going to have a good time learning it.

VP classes are really a breath of fresh air for us.