Menu

Curious - would you pay this much for a coat?

I would definitely spend that much on a winter coat after:

A. Checking for used ones first. Since it's on sale, you may not have time to do so.

B. Trying one on (OR making sure it's no-fee returnable if you don't like the fit once you get it).

C. It's good quality.

D. As long as I was sure I could afford it.

You live in a climate that, according to my parents & extended family who are also in Ont., can be a wee bit chilly at times (:lol:), and you need the warmth. I believe it was Audrey that said that it's like getting two or three coats for the one price.... one for now & after baby and a 'regular' one. I would also throw in that you'll have less to store if you just get the one coat. (trying to help you out here! :tongue_smilie:).

If it's a good quality, it will last and last. I have several coats of varrying warmth (due to our goofy climate), and the oldest & most comfortable of them cost $99 and is now 11 years old. There is no way I could find something similar for that price now, yet I balked at the price 'back then', despite the fact that it was a gift from my parents.

Be sure to let us know what you decide!

I would pay that much for a classic-style coat with great workmanship that is likely to last a long time.

I used to be of the "buy whatever's cheapest and/or used" mindset, but I am seeing the difference now. I have a cousin with two daughters who passed their clothes down to my two girls. These were namebrand, nice, expensive clothes. After going through *my* two girls, they were still in great shape. In comparison, most of the cheaper clothes that we bought or others got them didn't make it through one girl without rips, stains, or being pulled out of shape.

My grandmother and aunts buy fewer clothes (on sale whenever possible!) but much better quality and wear them forever. They probably spend the same as many others who only buy cheap clothes (or regular thrift store clothes.) They also will buy good quality clothes used, too. Quality over quantity, but at the same (long-term) price. My brother wears wonderful, good quality clothes, but he also buys them at thrift stores.

So, back to the coat. If you can afford it, get it! Then, when you are done with it, either sell or pass it on to someone else. It might last 20-30 years or more.

I don't get this at all. I can buy kids clothes at yardsales for $2 max which last a kid or two. I can buy a whole lot of clothes like that before it would come close to matching the price of new namebrand stuff. I do try to buy things that are nicer but at yardsales. You can buy many $5 thrift store coats in the amount to buy one expensive coat. Now if you want to buy something like that and can I think that is fine but financially I don't really think that it paysoff. It might look nicer or be more convenient but financially I don't think you can justify it as cheaper.

So.... are you getting the coat???

Cat

PS. The price wouldn't bother me a bit, but I would prefer something a bit longer because I'm always cold! :)

I still haven't decided! ;)

I really do think it's a pretty good deal all things considered. But I hesitate to spend that much money on myself when there are always so many OTHER things we could do with it...

My grandmother and aunts buy fewer clothes (on sale whenever possible!) but much better quality and wear them forever. They probably spend the same as many others who only buy cheap clothes (or regular thrift store clothes.) They also will buy good quality clothes used, too. Quality over quantity, but at the same (long-term) price. My brother wears wonderful, good quality clothes, but he also buys them at thrift stores.

So, back to the coat. If you can afford it, get it! Then, when you are done with it, either sell or pass it on to someone else. It might last 20-30 years or more.

I like the idea of finding good stuff at thrift stores, though I'm sure it's very difficult.

I don't get this at all. I can buy kids clothes at yardsales for $2 max which last a kid or two. I can buy a whole lot of clothes like that before it would come close to matching the price of new namebrand stuff. I do try to buy things that are nicer but at yardsales. You can buy many $5 thrift store coats in the amount to buy one expensive coat. Now if you want to buy something like that and can I think that is fine but financially I don't really think that it paysoff. It might look nicer or be more convenient but financially I don't think you can justify it as cheaper.

I agree with this. I'm not convinced that it all works out in the end. Plus, I get tired of my stuff after a couple of years and want to replace it anyway, even if it could last for 10 years.

There are only a few things that are true "classics" that you'll want to wear for 20 years. If the OP is convinced that this coat is something she really wants to wear when her kids are in their 30's, then it's probably a good deal.

PS. The price wouldn't bother me a bit, but I would prefer something a bit longer because I'm always cold! :)

Cat--I really love reading your posts. I really do! I really like you. So, I'm saying this veeeery gently. Cat, from reading your posts, you have some serious money. So, of course you would buy the new coat at that price. You have the funds, so it makes the decision a snap for you. I think that the OP doesn't have those funds and has to weigh her decision carefully being that she'll have to go without in another area in her life if she buys the coat.

No, never. I wouldn't spend that much on any article of clothing. Except maybe a wedding dress :P

See, I'd hesitate to spend that kind of money on a wedding dress, but I would for, say, a suit.

About the coat in question: are you certain that it will work as a non-babywearing coat? The reason I ask is that I have a Suse's Kindercoat, which I adore and and have worn through two kids, but as much as I love it for babywearing, I just think it's unlikely that I'll wear it all that much after I'm done babywearing, If it's just a coat, then I have another coat that I like better and is warmer. I expect I'll just sell the Kindercoat.

But if you will really wear it as your winter coat, then a great winter coat can last indefinitely. My husband's grandmother, may she rest in peace, bought DH a very expensive North Face parka back in 1996. He still wears that coat all winter, every winter.

See, I'd hesitate to spend that kind of money on a wedding dress, but I would for, say, a suit.

About the coat in question: are you certain that it will work as a non-babywearing coat? The reason I ask is that I have a Suse's Kindercoat, which I adore and and have worn through two kids, but as much as I love it for babywearing, I just think it's unlikely that I'll wear it all that much after I'm done babywearing, If it's just a coat, then I have another coat that I like better and is warmer. I expect I'll just sell the Kindercoat.

But if you will really wear it as your winter coat, then a great winter coat can last indefinitely. My husband's grandmother, may she rest in peace, bought DH a very expensive North Face parka back in 1996. He still wears that coat all winter, every winter.

It's actually pretty nice-looking as a normal coat, and as a good quality down coat I imagine it'll be warmer than the cheaper coats I usually buy.

Cat--I really love reading your posts. I really do! I really like you. So, I'm saying this veeeery gently. Cat, from reading your posts, you have some serious money. So, of course you would buy the new coat at that price. You have the funds, so it makes the decision a snap for you. I think that the OP doesn't have those funds and has to weigh her decision carefully being that she'll have to go without in another area in her life if she buys the coat.

I like you, too, Garga! :)

I'm not sure how you'd define "serious money," but we are comfortable, and I would buy the coat if I wanted it. But I'd still want to get it on sale. :D My dh would tell me I was crazy to price-shop so much, but I wouldn't be able to help myself.

When I was pg with my ds, I wore a trapeze-style coat that worked well for me, and that I swore I would wear in future winters as well. I thought it was so pretty, I really pictured myself looking very svelte and stylish in it when I was slim again... until the next winter, when I put the coat on and looked 8 months pg again. :tongue_smilie: It wasn't exactly the look I was going for, so I donated the coat to the church thrift shop. I'm sure somebody looked svelte and stylish in it, but it was probably someone a lot taller than I am. ;)

My thinking was that this particular coat is quite unique in the ways it could be worn, so WarriorMama would get a lot of use out of it. Since it's not a common design, I didn't think she would probably be able to find it at a thrift shop or a consignment store, or I definitely would have suggested she look around a little before paying full price for a brand new one. I'm sure she could find cheaper options, but if she will be able to use this coat for several years, it may be the better value. It also looks very comfortable, because will fit her properly across the shoulders whether or not she's pg when she wears it. And apparently, she can also pop the baby inside it, which seems very cool to me. At least until the first major spit-up incident. :eek:

Cat

I still haven't decided! ;)

I really do think it's a pretty good deal all things considered. But I hesitate to spend that much money on myself when there are always so many OTHER things we could do with it...

Oh hockey pucks! You aren't "spending that much money" on yourself! It would be for you AND your babe.

And you know very well that you need a good winter coat anyway. No one should have to go about an entire Canadian winter in a flimsy coat -- especially not a pregnant someone, or a someone wearing a sweet babe.

*I* would buy it and I'm a cheapskate. *I* would buy it because I know it would serve the purpose of three coats (maternity, baby-wearing, and regular coat) and because it's a good quality down coat that will keep you warm in our weather, and because you know you'll wear it for many good years (lifetime warranty is a bonus, too!).

Edited by Audrey

Oh hockey pucks! You aren't "spending that much money" on yourself! It would be for you AND your babe.

And you know very well that you need a good winter coat anyway. No one should have to go about an entire Canadian winter in a flimsy coat -- especially not a pregnant someone, or a someone wearing a sweet babe.

*I* would buy it and I'm a cheapskate. *I* would buy it because I know it would serve the purpose of three coats (maternity, baby-wearing, and regular coat) and because it's a good quality down coat that will keep you warm in our weather, and because you know you'll wear it for many good years (lifetime warranty is a bonus, too!).

You're right. The sticker shock (even for the sale price!) was really holding me back, but it's a great coat that should serve my purposes quite nicely.

You guys (and my husband) talked me into it. I bought the coat! :party:

I can't wait until it gets delivered. Maybe I'll actually take the stir-crazy kids out to play in the snow instead of hiding out indoors because I don't want to freeze. :lol:

That is one of the most awesome things I've ever seen! I definitely think it's a good buy. You can use it as a baby carrier and if you get pregnant again you won't need a new coat. If you don't get pregnant again, you have a great coat to carry your baby in and then you will have a nice coat to wear once you need it for normal use. I'd be inclined to get a darker color, though, expecting messes from the little one.

That is such a wonderful idea!!!

That is one of the most awesome things I've ever seen! I definitely think it's a good buy. You can use it as a baby carrier and if you get pregnant again you won't need a new coat. If you don't get pregnant again, you have a great coat to carry your baby in and then you will have a nice coat to wear once you need it for normal use. I'd be inclined to get a darker color, though, expecting messes from the little one.

That is such a wonderful idea!!!

I settled on brown...dark enough to hide big-kid messes, but hopefully not as likely to show spit-up as black. ;)

Machine washable, yahoo! :lol:

I'm so glad you ordered it, and I hope you LOVE it when you get it!!!

Cat

Me too! Thanks for telling me I wasn't crazy to consider it! :001_smile:

You're right. The sticker shock (even for the sale price!) was really holding me back, but it's a great coat that should serve my purposes quite nicely.

You guys (and my husband) talked me into it. I bought the coat! :party:

I can't wait until it gets delivered. Maybe I'll actually take the stir-crazy kids out to play in the snow instead of hiding out indoors because I don't want to freeze. :lol:

:party: Good for you! And, I hope you do get outside more. The fresh air is so good for you, and it keeps the cabin fever at bay. If I didn't have a good enough coat to be able to get outside everyday, I think I would be needing a straight-jacket.

Edited by Audrey

I'd say it depends on how much baby-wearing you plan to do with it. My ds was born in winter, and I planned on doing plenty of baby-wearing and bought the gear to do so, but then ended up with some complications such that when I did wear him my leg would go numb. This took a year of chiropractic to remedy! So, money not well spent!

I personally wouldn't spend that much, but if you've got it to spend, and plan on having more kiddos, then consider it.

:party: Good for you! And, I hope you do get outside more. The fresh air is so good for you, and it keeps the cabin fever at bay. If I didn't have a good enough coat to be able to get outside everyday, I think I would be needing a straight-jacket.

Hear hear! I've been SO CLOSE to the straight-jacket point this week. One of the major factors in deciding to go for the coat was my son, who is driving me crazy. I think he's a step beyond cabin fever. He needs the great outdoors!

Or maybe HE needs a straight-jacket. :lol: