Menu

Can't use toothpaste. Now what?

I can't use regular soap because of sensitive skin. Glycine soap and lye-based soap are fine. I hate the way the former feels on my skin and the latter is too expensive so I just don't use soap.

Shampoo makes my head itch after a while. I usually used the no poo method but I get lazy about gathering the baking soda and vinegar from the kitchen before my showers and revert to shampoo and conditioner until my head starts to itch too much.

Now, I've just discovered that it's the toothpaste that is causing the inside of the lips and cheeks to get swollen and raw on occasion. It usually lasts about a month before going away. I just figured out it was toothpaste causing it so hopefully it will go away sooner since I won't be using toothpaste anymore.

So, what do I brush my teeth with now? Baking soda is nasty tasting and I hate Tom's of Maine (it made my teeth to get dingy gray/brown when I tried it before).

I also can't use perfume, scented products, and makeup. Ugh!

We're all pretty sensitive to toothpastes, too. Some make the skin on the inside of my mouth peel off in sheets and I get the worst sores.

Remember the old powder? I remember my grandparents using that. I wish they would bring that back.

Right now we use Therabreath. Yes, it's expensive, but *shrug* whatcha gonna do? We have to brush our teeth!

Dd is allergic to toothpaste. Our homemade recipe:

about 6 teaspoons baking soda

dash of salt

4 teaspoons glycerin

drops of cinnamon oil (to taste)

You can also use peppermint oil or whatever other flavor you prefer. Dd is allergic to all mints, so we go with cinnamon. You really can use any amounts of the above to make it the consistency and flavor you prefer. Dd likes barely any salt in hers.

Dd is allergic to toothpaste. Our homemade recipe:

about 6 teaspoons baking soda

dash of salt

4 teaspoons glycerin

drops of cinnamon oil (to taste)

You can also use peppermint oil or whatever other flavor you prefer. Dd is allergic to all mints, so we go with cinnamon. You really can use any amounts of the above to make it the consistency and flavor you prefer. Dd likes barely any salt in hers.

Why the salt? Why the glycerin? Not being snarky, I just really am interested in what function they perform in the paste? Does it last a week in those proportions? How do you keep it? I'm sorry, your post has totally piqued my interest! :D

Do you know what is bothering you?

I used this with one of my kids; it has a fennely flavor that was rather nice. I think I bought it at Whole Foods.

Weleda Children's Tooth Gel

http://usa.weleda.com/our-products/shop/children%27s-tooth-gel.aspx

Glycerin, Water (Aqua), Silica, Algin, Calendula Officinalis Flower Extract, Foeniculum Vulgare (Fennel) Oil, Mentha Viridis (Spearmint) Leaf Oil, Esculin, Limonene*.

They have other toothpastes as well. At least one of them doesn't have any mint in it at all:

http://usa.weleda.com/our-products/categories/oral-care.aspx

You might try the SLS-free toothpaste from Burt's Bees. I can't use any toothpaste with SLS. If you are allergic to soaps, it's probably the SLS.

Squigle (not a typo) is SLS free as well, but is loaded with xylitol and has flouride. We love the stuff.

Squigle (not a typo) is SLS free as well, but is loaded with xylitol and has flouride. We love the stuff.

Anyone happen to know if someone who is allergic to birch trees would also be allergic to xylitol? DS has both hay fever type allergies but also oral allergy syndrome. Not that he'd have to use my toothpaste, but wondering now since it is added to gums, too.

You might try the SLS-free toothpaste from Burt's Bees. I can't use any toothpaste with SLS. If you are allergic to soaps, it's probably the SLS.

That makes sense. I don't know what bothers me exactly, just that I have trouble with laundry detergent, body soaps and washes, shampoo, and now toothpaste. I can't wear contacts anymore because the cleaners (even the "sensitive eye" ones) bother me. Make up bothers my eyes; it makes them feel full of goop and like I have severe eye strain. Scented items make me feel ill.

None of this started bugging me until I was an adult. The list of things that cause me discomfort keeps growing.

Which Tom's of Maine did you try?

We use the Peppermint/Baking Soda kind because it doesn't contain sodium laureth sulfate. I hate foamy toothpaste! (The SLS is what makes bubbles in toothpaste and liquid soaps/shampoos.) It takes a few days to get used to the taste because it isn't nearly as sweet as most toothpastes. But, it does a good job of keeping our teeth white. I hate other toothpastes now that I've been using this one so long.

I also avoid SLS in shampoo and body wash, also. I use Traite shampoo for my hair *and* my whole body. It doesn't contain any SLS, in any form. It's creamy and gentle, and moisturizes my skin -- no itch. I order it from the Mastey website, http://www.mastey.com

I don't use shampoo either, but my no-poo method is that I use conditioner only (the Curly Girl method). My hair feels great, and as a bonus my skin and scalp are

not as dry or itchy. Can't help with the toothpaste, but maybe conditioner-only is worth a try for your shampoo problem.

I can't use regular soap because of sensitive skin. Glycine soap and lye-based soap are fine. I hate the way the former feels on my skin and the latter is too expensive so I just don't use soap.

Shampoo makes my head itch after a while. I usually used the no poo method but I get lazy about gathering the baking soda and vinegar from the kitchen before my showers and revert to shampoo and conditioner until my head starts to itch too much.

Now, I've just discovered that it's the toothpaste that is causing the inside of the lips and cheeks to get swollen and raw on occasion. It usually lasts about a month before going away. I just figured out it was toothpaste causing it so hopefully it will go away sooner since I won't be using toothpaste anymore.

So, what do I brush my teeth with now? Baking soda is nasty tasting and I hate Tom's of Maine (it made my teeth to get dingy gray/brown when I tried it before).

I also can't use perfume, scented products, and makeup. Ugh!

I put my soda shampoo and vinegar rinse in dishsoap containers. This way I'm not having to gather them quite as often.

You can make homemade toothpaste using coconut oil.

:grouphug: Sensitive skin is the worst! Some commercial toothpastes make my mouth peel like crazy. Yuck!

It wouldn't leave your mouth "minty fresh," but a lot of people on my soapmaking forum just use homemade soap on their toothbrush. I tried it a few times, and it definitely makes my mouth feel cleaner (though I do miss that minty taste!). If you have a soap that works for the rest of your skin, you may want to try it as a toothpaste and see whether it works for you.

I use the curly girls method as well. I only shampoo about twice a month. When I was using BS&V I kept squeeze bottles in the shower, ready to go.

I order my natural goodies from vitacost.com it's the only way we ever afford them. i'm slowly shifting over to all natural bath and body cleansers. Nature's gate is my favorite company. I use their shampoo ( baby) and toothpaste. the difference is astonishing. after using natural pure soaps, the mainstream brands are so harsh!