Menu

Endometrial ablation -- talk to me about recovery time

Planning now for the spring, trying to figure out how much time to block out, what my restrictions will be and for how long.

Gynecological consult is January 4, so I'd also appreciate any questions you could suggest for me to ask the doc. I sure I haven't thought of 'em all yet!

Thanks!

A friend of mine had this done, she said she felt good the day after. I don't know.

Does this require anesthesia? A general? Local?

My GP told me it was done under general, we'll see what the GYN says...

I am especially curious about exercise/weight bearing restrictions. How long would I be limited to lifting <10lbs.

I had the Novasure procedure done, which only necessitates a local, three years ago. It was a piece of cake, and I chose that one specifically based on comments I'd heard here and read online. It was quick. I went to a jewelry party the next day. I was not 100%, but I was certainly able to get up, get dressed, put on makeup, and drive up the hill to the neighbor's.

The biggest thing I can remember that was surprising was that there was a clear discharge which lasted for several weeks (more than four). It was necessary for me to wear a mini-pad.

I found out that week that I had to take a pill the night before to open up my cervix. I had not been told ahead of time, and it unnerved me a bit because apparently it's commonly used prior to abortions, and frankly, in my small town, it crossed my mind that the pharmacist might be thinking something different than what was happening.

The whole thing was a huge relief and all of my problems came to an immediate end. I've had no period for three years, and just one brief episode of spotting a few months after my surgery.

I would just be sure to ask EXACTLY what to expect that day, every single thing, because I like to know that kind of stuff.

I just had mine done in May. I went under general anesthesia and it was done on out-patient basis, although I got so sick from the meds that I stayed overnight but less than 24hrs. I only had to watch what I did for 2days that's it. It is not a big deal at all.

The only complaint I have is that mine did not work. I still have periods, sometimes 2 a month.

I had mine done in April of 2005 and it was done under general anesthesia.

I had a lot of other procedures done and my endometriosis was severe, so I had all of that lasered off as well. I also had my tubes tied since the risk of miscarriage is too great for us to risk a pregnancy after the procedure.

I was back to work on Monday after I had the procedure done on Thursday. I worked at an early childhood facility and was not allowed to pick up even the smallest of infants until 2wks post op.

Gas pains were the worst, I went thru boxes of Gas-X.

I wish I could say that almost 6yrs out I am happy with my choice, but I am not. My endometriosis is back with a vengence already. I gave up my fertility for the very high chance of little to no pain for many years. Only the first year, maybe two, were heavenly.

My sister has had that done twice. Both times it took her a week to really recover. I think she tried to go back to work 2 or 3 days after the last one and she end up working half days. My sister tends to take a while to recover from things. Her body does not seem to bounce back quickly.

I hope it all goes well for you and you do recover quickly.

I was about to have it done last summer, but was able to avoid it. My GYN indicated that I would not be inconvenienced in any way, save perhaps wearing a pad for a week or so afterward. A friend did end of having it done around the time school started and she was perfectly fine the next day and said she didn't even really have any drainage afterward....

Planning this for next year as well. It would be better though among friends, I wonder if we could get a WTM group discount. My RA MD has been urging this as the meds I take have caused scarily uncontrollable blood loss and the old girl just has to go. This is being presented to me as a viable option and easier recovery than a total hysterectomy as that would entail a 6 week recovery . Frankly I wish the **** thing would dry up and fall out. That would be a great Christmas present. Barring that I think we are looking at March for the endo ablation.

My MIL had this done a couple of years ago. The procedure itself was very successful, but the recovery, for her, was awful. The pain meds didn't work for her, and she was on straight morphine, I believe. :( You may already know about yourself that you respond well to pain meds, in which case this will obviously be a non-issue for you. I think MIL's very happy that she had it done, but the side effects for her were severe. Best to you as you proceed. :grouphug:

Planning now for the spring, trying to figure out how much time to block out, what my restrictions will be and for how long.

Gynecological consult is January 4, so I'd also appreciate any questions you could suggest for me to ask the doc. I sure I haven't thought of 'em all yet!

Thanks!

I had this done. I had to have a spinal block, no general anesthesia for me unless absolutely medically necessary per doctors.

The spinal was worse than the procedure... I couldn't feel my legs for nearly 4 hours and my butt was still numb 8 hours later when I was sent home (had to have Dh tell me if I was sitting down on something before I actually put my weight down-LOL).

Anyway, I had only minor cramping the next day or two with bleeding. After a few days I felt "normal".

Thanks for all the info! If the GYN agrees that it's the thing to do, I will try to get it in as soon as possible, before the next semester gets to full swing. I hope to take a CNA course in February and need to be able to lift 50lbs. Plus we are about to join a fitness center as a family, and if I would be down for a month, we'd just wait for a while.

We have been monitoring my iron levels for almost 2 years now and even with supplementation, they just keep getting lower and lower. Upon describing my cycles to him, GP said that it was way outside the norm and that an ablation would be his recommendation. My hormone levels do not indicate that I am entering menopause, so there's no telling how many more can't-leave-the-house-days I'd still have ahead of me without this procedure. Sorry for TMI but I know you who've responded know what I am talking about.:glare:

I had this done this past summer and it was a piece of cake! I had general anesthesia but they gave me a "light" dose so it was very easy to wake up from. I had the Novasure procedure done and I didn't need to take anything ahead of time. I had it done around 2 in the afternoon, went home around 4 or 5, got into bed and was waited on for the rest of the evening (very nice!).

I got up the next morning and went shopping with a friend but really, it would have been nice to stay in bed for most of the day. By the end of the day I was feeling pretty tired. The next day I was back to normal.

I did have a discharge for about 3 or 4 weeks but have been free of all that ever since. Yay!

I'm sure it will go smoothly for you, Auntie M!

• 3 weeks later...

I had this done this morning. It was done in my doctor's office under local anesthesia and valium and some other drug (his office is attached to a hospital). The worst part was the shots to numb the area. I was okay for most of the procedure and able to talk through it. The last 3 minutes though I had very painful cramping on one side. He told the nurse to apply direct pressure to my side and that helped a lot. I had moderate cramping for about 4 hours afterward but now it is gone. A heating pad really helped I also had two hemhorroids removed "while he was down there" and have 6 stitches from that. I think that is the part that is actually going to hurt for a few days. My mom is here to help me and I am planning to take full advantage of it and just rest for a couple of days.

• 3 years later...
Guest Juliejulz

Two days ago I had the novasure ablation and tubal ligation. It was done in an outpatient surgery center under a general.

I was not allowed to drive on day one. I did go to a three hour business meeting 5 hours after I was conscious again. I did not drive. I felt slightly woozy.

Day two I had a mammogram appointment. I drove just fine. My mouth and throat were very dry. I picked up Biotene and that worked great. I wish I had Biotene on day one, however day two was worse for dry mouth!

Day two evening I went to back-to-school night. I had to change 8 classes with 5 minute passing periods in a very large school. I was walk-hog to make it. Then I had to sit in those goofy little desk tables with chairs attached. Each class was ten minutes then off to the next. I personally would had rather skipped this. It was taking a toll on me!! I made it through the end.

Day one and day two I barely had discharge. It was mostly when I would wipe with toilet paper.

Today, day three, no pad or liner. There was zero discharge. I feel like I did too many sit ups as my whole tummy is sore.

I plan to take it easy for the first week.

I do not know what is from the ablation and what is recovery from tubal. I do know that this was far easier than expected!!! I am discharge free now. Hopefully that doesn't come back as I hear it can after the first week!! Any changes I will post up.

Guest Juliejulz

Two days ago I had the novasure ablation and tubal ligation. It was done in an outpatient surgery center under a general.

I was not allowed to drive on day one. I did go to a three hour business meeting 5 hours after I was conscious again. I did not drive. I felt slightly woozy.

Day two I had a mammogram appointment. I drove just fine. My mouth and throat were very dry. I picked up Biotene and that worked great. I wish I had Biotene on day one, however day two was worse for dry mouth!

Day two evening I went to back-to-school night. I had to change 8 classes with 5 minute passing periods in a very large school. I was walk-hog to make it. Then I had to sit in those goofy little desk tables with chairs attached. Each class was ten minutes then off to the next. I personally would had rather skipped this. It was taking a toll on me!! I made it through the end.

Day one and day two I barely had discharge. It was mostly when I would wipe with toilet paper.

Today, day three, no pad or liner. There was zero discharge. I feel like I did too many sit ups as my whole tummy is sore.

I plan to take it easy for the first week.

I do not know what is from the ablation and what is recovery from tubal. I do know that this was far easier than expected!!! I am discharge free now. Hopefully that doesn't come back as I hear it can after the first week!! Any changes I will post up.

I had mine done almost 10 years ago same time as a tubal. If you've had the tubal then there's no real recovery needed for the ablation.  If you're getting both done?  I was fine next the day, but I tend to bounce back easily. I has discharge (it was gross) for a couple weeks.  Very little to no periods for the first year but that has steadily changed.  No where near what it was before the ablation but a lot more then just after.  

I had one done a few years ago.  Out patient, general, little discomfort, recovered in a couple days.  I've been very satisfied.  Some discharge up front and now no periods for several years.  I'm told since I had it on the younger end that I may need another one at some point.  That and a bladder mesh have been 2 of the best decisions I've made!  :-)