Menu

I need Dr. Hive: Would you take this kid to the doctor or wait one more day?

DD8 spiked a fever on Friday evening. On Saturday it was 103-4, but she was acting pretty normal, a bit mucousy, nose a bit stuffy, throat kinda yucky, but nothing horrible.

Yesterday it was in the 101-102 range. Today I've gotten 100.2 and 100.6, but she says that while her throat doesn't really hurt, it feels swollen and puffy.

Her demeanor seems fine and she's not in real pain (is eating apple slices easily), but still, I wonder about strep. Would you take her today or see how she is in the morning?

TIA!

If you have insurance I guess I'd take her in, if not, another day of observation shouldn't hurt----

is this temp with or without fever reducers?

Lara

I do have insurance, but it's still $50 and making her get dressed and out, waiting at the urgent care place, etc. Blech. I hate these ambiguous illnesses!

This temp is without fever reducer. I only had to give her some ibuprofen twice this whole time, that's how OK she's been feeling. Normally she's begging for something.

Generally if the fever does not respond to meds I find it is a virus but your is responding. Because the fever is so high I would go. I know it is a pain, but that fever is telling you something and I personally have not seen a simple virus, except the flu, go that high.

DD8 spiked a fever on Friday evening. On Saturday it was 103-4, but she was acting pretty normal, a bit mucousy, nose a bit stuffy, throat kinda yucky, but nothing horrible.

Yesterday it was in the 101-102 range. Today I've gotten 100.2 and 100.6, but she says that while her throat doesn't really hurt, it feels swollen and puffy.

Her demeanor seems fine and she's not in real pain (is eating apple slices easily), but still, I wonder about strep. Would you take her today or see how she is in the morning?

TIA!

I am not a medical professional...just a mom. But I would think that if it were untreated strep then each day she would be getting worse and not better. We've had a bit of strep here and the pain is horrible and there is no eating and just laying around with flushed cheeks and glassy eyes. But maybe other people have had different experience with that.

I would wait.

Good luck!! Hope she's better soon.

ETA: We have had non-flu viruses with 103 temps. Just rest and fluids and waiting. It's not fun. It's less fun to go to the Dr. and have them tell you that. Spiky fevers make me nervous about meningitis and I'm always asking about headaches and neck pain.

Edited by silliness7

I am not a medical professional...just a mom. But I would think that if it were untreated strep then each day she would be getting worse and not better. We've had a bit of strep here and the pain is horrible and there is no eating and just laying around with flushed cheeks and glassy eyes. But maybe other people have had different experience with that.

I would wait.

Dd had a very mild sore throat, no fever. We had no idea it was strep till she got scarlet fever :glare:, not the most pleasant of surprises. It makes me REALLY leery of sore throats.

I'd probably wait one more day, but I'd also call her doctor or the nurse hotline to see if they think she should be seen. I hope she gets better quickly.

See, that's part of the problem. I stopped calling our ped's nurse hotline because whenever I called, they always said the same thing: "Well, we won't know what's wrong with her unless you bring her in. When can you be here?" :glare: Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of calling?!

I think we're going to pass by the urgent care and see how long the wait is. If it's not bad, we'll stay. If it's crowded, maybe not.

Thanks everyone.

Dd had a very mild sore throat, no fever. We had no idea it was strep till she got scarlet fever :glare:, not the most pleasant of surprises. It makes me REALLY leery of sore throats.

This is scary!!! I always have the opposite problem. Everything you read about strep says sore throat, no stuffy nose, cough, etc. I ALWAYS have strep with messy respiratory symptoms, and whenever I have a bad cold, I get a terrible sore throat with it, so I can never tell which is which. Last year I waited almost 8 days to go in when I was sick because I was sure it wasn't strep, and it was.

Stoopid bacteria!

See, that's part of the problem. I stopped calling our ped's nurse hotline because whenever I called, they always said the same thing: "Well, we won't know what's wrong with her unless you bring her in. When can you be here?" :glare: Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of calling?!

I think we're going to pass by the urgent care and see how long the wait is. If it's not bad, we'll stay. If it's crowded, maybe not.

Thanks everyone.

That's aggravating. I had a doctor whose nurses would do the same thing. The nurse hotline I was referring to is the 800 number most insurance companies offer to their members. I usually have better luck calling them. Good luck getting into the urgent care center. (that was not meant sarcastically)

That's aggravating. I had a doctor whose nurses would do the same thing. The nurse hotline I was referring to is the 800 number most insurance companies offer to their members. I usually have better luck calling them. Good luck getting into the urgent care center. (that was not meant sarcastically)

You know, I never even thought of that! I did call the ped after all and they said it can wait until tomorrow morning, so I think we'll hold on a bit longer.

Now to get onto making those buckeyes :tongue_smilie:

I would wait.

ETA: We have had non-flu viruses with 103 temps. Just rest and fluids and waiting. It's not fun. It's less fun to go to the Dr. and have them tell you that. Spiky fevers make me nervous about meningitis and I'm always asking about headaches and neck pain.

:iagree:

This is scary!!! I always have the opposite problem. Everything you read about strep says sore throat, no stuffy nose, cough, etc. I ALWAYS have strep with messy respiratory symptoms, and whenever I have a bad cold, I get a terrible sore throat with it, so I can never tell which is which. Last year I waited almost 8 days to go in when I was sick because I was sure it wasn't strep, and it was.

Stoopid bacteria!

It was really horrible (I felt this = big). Poor dd :( and then the doctor told us all the 'could have been worse' and it only served to make the guilt worse.

I don't mean to scare you, but I would have felt guilty if it turned out to be strep and I hadn't said anything ;) Life is such a tight walk.

It was really horrible (I felt this = big). Poor dd :( and then the doctor told us all the 'could have been worse' and it only served to make the guilt worse.

I don't mean to scare you, but I would have felt guilty if it turned out to be strep and I hadn't said anything ;) Life is such a tight walk.

Thank you, I do appreciate that and didn't think you were fearmongering or anything. It's always good to have a different perspective, because you just never know how these things can go!

I have good news to report though. I just took her temp again about 10 minutes ago and it's down to 99.1 :001_smile: I'll still keep checking her, but I'm hopeful. She ate a full lunch, then an apple and some pecans, so her appetite is normal at least! Whew!

I do have insurance, but it's still $50 and making her get dressed and out, waiting at the urgent care place, etc. Blech. I hate these ambiguous illnesses!

This temp is without fever reducer. I only had to give her some ibuprofen twice this whole time, that's how OK she's been feeling. Normally she's begging for something.

If she seems like she's improving, then I would guess it's just a cold. Just watch out for any new/alarming symptoms.

Laura