Menu

l:

I saw an episode of America's Test Kitchen once where they tested cookie presses and, if I remember correctly, their conclusion was that they weren't really that necessary and that a pastry bag with the proper tip works just fine, too, if you have to shape a cookie. But they did pick one and it wasn't the automatic/push-a-button one, but the caulk-gun type press. I'm sorry I don't have the specific one they chose, but I remember that the easy-to-use, press-a-button press wasn't the winner. HTH

I inherited mine from my mom --- it's one we got in Germany, but I can't recall the name of it at the moment. It's very good and we use it every year. I've tried one of the newer ones, but it didn't work as well, and I returned it. The only thing is I can't find any new disks that fit into it. Otherwise, I love it.

I also have a Pampered Chef one and it's operates well. I only use it once a year, though. That said, it has always annoyed me that while the press works fine, I can never get the cookies to stick to the pan. So instead of cute little spritz, I get giant spritz because I have to pull the trigger twice to get enough dough out there to cut off. I think it's just that the dough is too soft/buttery, but I haven't bothered to try another dough recipe yet. I may go for the pastry bag idea--hadn't thought of that before. I have the bags and a few tips so I may just make wreaths out of the dough. ;)

Cinder

I have an old Cookie Shooter inherited from an aunt. It is electric and works quite well. However it did take a bit of practice for me to get the hang of using it. For me, the primary secret was to always place the cookies on an ungreased, cold cookie sheet. That was the only way they would break off from the tip correctly and retain the desired size and shape.

I haven't used it in a while, but IIRC, it also made a difference if I used actual butter or just margerine in the batter.

I'm going to be checking out the Mirro. I love Spritz and the Christmas tree shape cookie cutter. I hate the press! It hurts my hand since I have to push the press down so hard! And, I seem to get either a too small cookie or a too large of a cookie! So frustrating!

Do check it out. You don't "press" with a Mirro -- you turn gently. It takes a couple practice tries at first to get the feel for it, but after that, it's a cinch.

I used to have the old Pampered chef one with plastic parts and I HATED it. I've recently bought their revised cookie press with metal parts and we are all loving it. The mechanism is much simpler also. You just give it a 1/3 turn twist instead of having to push down a plunger. Love it!

I have the older Pampered Chef one.

I used to hate it, but then I found a few tips to make it work smoother.

1) You have to have the right dough. It can't be too sticky and it needs to be slightly chilled.

2) You need to use parchment paper on a cool surface, and then transfer it to a cookie sheet

3) You have to hold it at the right angle ( basically straight up and down) or the cookies don't fall out right and they look weird.

It's still not my favorite gadget, but I can at least make it work now.

you turn the press "screw" just the right amount and the cookie sticks to the sheet like magic. The secret, too, is in moderately chilling the dough and handling it as little as possible when you put it in the cookie press, and if the kitchen is warm, I'll even hold the cookie press with a cloth between my hand and the barrel of the cookie press.

If you haven't extruded quite enough dough the cookies tend to pull away from the sheet, so giving it a bit more turn will usually do the trick. If needed, you can also use a table knife to trim the dough from the die, say, if a flower petal stuck to the press, or something odd like that.

hth