Menu

The Stoning of Soraya M

I've never heard of it, but after looking at your link and seeing that it is rated R for a "disturbing sequence of cruel and brutal violence and brief strong language," any kid of mine I let watch it would definitely have to be in their teens at the very least. How far into their teens would just depend on the kid, I guess, and how I thought they'd handle something like that. I can't specify right now as my teen is special needs and my next oldest is only ten (and I definitely wouldn't let my ten year old watch it).

I saw this on Netflix streaming. It is terribly depressing but people need to know that this sort of abuse continues in the world. I wouldn't recommend young children see it. It may be ok for older High School though. It was such a sad movie. I wanted to reach into the tv and take Soraya away from that horror. :(

It's an eye-opening movie. I think it's very important for people to see this so they are aware of what kind of things go on with Sharia (spelling??) law. Especially with the situation going on with the U.S. There are some places (meaning some city leaders) in the U.S. who are proponents of letting Sharia law into the U.S. It should be a required movie for everyone who would be voting for something like that.

No, I would not let any child of mine under high school see it. It's disturbing. That said, it will be REQUIRED of my high school students. It's important to know.

Hot Lava Mama

The Stoning of Soraya M

Potentiallly one of the most poweful movies that I have watched in recent years.

:iagree:

One of the most upsetting and powerful films I've ever seen. On a personal level it was my favorite film of last year, but boy was it hard to take.

I would not have a child view this film unless they were made of awfully tough stuff, and I'm sure more than a few adults would find it very difficult to get through.

Bill

One of the most upsetting and powerful films I've ever seen. On a personal level it was my favorite film of last year, but boy was it hard to take.

I would not have a child view this film unless they were made of awfully tough stuff, and I'm sure more than a few adults would find it very difficult to get through.

Bill

Count me out. I'm feeling anxious just reading this thread. I have quite a delicate constitution.

I would caution that this film is about the abuse of authority, both secular and religious authority. It does not represent the justice (or injustice) of Sharia law, it shows what happens when corrupt officials deliberately pervert the law for their own ends.

Unfortunately this important film (which tells the true story of a human rights abuse in Iran) does have the potential to fan the flames of bigotry if the corruption and evil-doing of the officials in this story are to be conflated with what is right and just under Islamic law (which it certainly would not be).

Bill

Bill

Count me out. I was devastated for days after watching Gladiator.

I would caution that this film is about the abuse of authority, both secular and religious authority. It does not represent the justice (or injustice) of Sharia law, it shows what happens when corrupt officials deliberately pervert the law for their own ends.

Unfortunately this important film (which tells the true story of a human rights abuse in Iran) does have the potential to fan the flames of bigotry if the corruption and evil-doing of the officials in this story are to be conflated with what is right and just under Islamic law (which it certainly would not be).

Bill

For me this film was more about abuse of authority than Islamic law. These men were pigs. I will have my children watch it when they are older teens,esp. my daughter. I have never been much of a feminist, but movies like this make me more so......

I've heard a couple of interviews with Shohreh Aghdashloo when the movie was released, but I think that's as close as I can get.

She was so good in her role. What a great actress!

I would not try to convince you to change your mind (despite my admiration for the film) as it it really intense. That is for sure.

Bill

My daughter and I will watch it together at some point; we're just not "there" yet. We're very involved with women's charities, and I'm halfway to misandry anyway, so wth. (Present company excepted of course. ;))

Thank goodness for the exception :D

If you're halfway to misandry this film could put you over the edge. I would exercise extreme caution with your daughter in viewing the film. The conclusion is very traumatic.

One could watch most of the film (being aware of what comes) and leave the end un-watched. What is going to happen is clear. Witnessing the conclusion left me shaken for days and weeks. I would suggest extreme caution.

Bill

Well, I am not a big crier/emotional person when it comes to movies. But, as much as I want to see this movie, I know that it won't be possible for me. Too much stress and no way to really internatlize it. I didn't make it all the way through the World Trade Center movie with Nicholas Cage or United 93 and I really had a hard time getting through "Not Without My Daughter"...a Sally Field film. "Not Without My Daughter" was based on the true story of a woman from our area. She grew up near hear, went to high school in our local district, and my dad knows her parents quite well. It was too close to home.

Sigh, this film is so important to our understanding of authority out of control, abuse, etc. but it is very hard to justify the internal chaos watching it causes when no matter what, life has to go on here and one can't be a wreck and get through the next day, week, or month that it takes to get over the horror.

Thanks for your very honest thoughts Spycar.

Faith

Bill

Come on now, of course the film is about abuse of authority but such an abuse (read the stoning)could not have taken place were the punishment not allowed under Shari'a (as interpreted by the population of the village and many others) to argue otherwise is missing the truth.

The law, as frequently interpreted, and related to the case of adultry is that under Shari'a

1. A woman's testimony is only given half the weight of a man's, hence the fact that when there were two witnesses against the victim her guilt was "proven".{I always thought Shari'a required 4 for cases of adultry}

2. Stoning is an approved punishment for adultery.

Your comment about the stoning being unjust is well taken, given the fact that the victim was framed. Were she actually guilty do you still maintain that the punishment would not have been seen as "just" under Shari'a? If so I would like to see your reference.

Edited by pqr

This was the MOST profound movie I have seen in a long time. Profound and disturbing. I watched it when all the hulabaloo was in the news about that woman in Iran accused of adultery recently in the news. Wow..... I sobbed through the end of it. To see what her own family did to her...my heart ripped apart.

It wrecked me. To see something like that happen was most disturbing...to know it was a true story. Oh my word!!!

For those that have said they just couldn't watch it I understand what you are saying....however, I wouldn't have wished I'd never seen it.

It was definitely about a perverse law and man's sin. I had righteous anger after that movie. I've told many people to see it if they have a chance but I always preface that it is a HARD movie to watch.

In no way would I ever let a child nor a teenager watch it. LIke Bill said...there are many adults that couldn't handle this movie...I wouldn't subject impressionable children/teens to it at all.

Come on now, of course the film is about abuse of authority but such an abuse (read the stoning)could not have taken place were the punishment not allowed under Shari'a (as interpreted by the population of the village and many others) to argue otherwise is missing the truth.

The law, as frequently interpreted, and related to the case of adultry is that under Shari'a

1. A woman's testimony is only given half the weight of a man's, hence the fact that when there were two witnesses against the victim her guilt was "proven".{I always thought Shari'a required 4 for cases of adultry}

2. Stoning is an approved punishment for adultery.

Your comment about the stoning being unjust is well taken, given the fact that the victim was framed. Were she actually guilty do you still maintain that the punishment would not have been seen as "just" under Shari'a? If so I would like to see your reference.

I should have known the tread was another excuse on your part to bash Islam. I'm sorry I fell for it :glare:

Bill

I should have known the tread was another excuse on your part to bash Islam. I'm sorry I fell for it :glare:

Bill

You leap to conclusions that are wholly unfounded. Nowhere in my original post did I mention religion. You are the one who put out a "warning" and I am still interested in your interpretation.

Where did I bash Islam? What did I say that was untrue? Personal attacks including throwing accusations and accusing posters of bias without foundation is a poor tactic but it does enable you to avoid a question about an issue that YOU raised and now it seems prefer not to discuss.

Edited by pqr

This was the MOST profound movie I have seen in a long time. Profound and disturbing. I watched it when all the hulabaloo was in the news about that woman in Iran accused of adultery recently in the news. Wow..... I sobbed through the end of it. To see what her own family did to her...my heart ripped apart.

It wrecked me. To see something like that happen was most disturbing...to know it was a true story. Oh my word!!!

For those that have said they just couldn't watch it I understand what you are saying....however, I wouldn't have wished I'd never seen it.

It was definitely about a perverse law and man's sin. I had righteous anger after that movie. I've told many people to see it if they have a chance but I always preface that it is a HARD movie to watch.

In no way would I ever let a child nor a teenager watch it. LIke Bill said...there are many adults that couldn't handle this movie...I wouldn't subject impressionable children/teens to it at all.

My sentiments too. Profound, profoundly disturbing, difficult to watch ... my heart was ripped apart too.

I wasn't able to watch it in one sitting -- to desperately sad, too powerful, too inexorable. I watched it over a period of several days. When it finished, I was haunted by it for weeks. When I googled the actress who played Soraya, I was astonished that she was still alive -- the movie was so real.

To me, the most wrenching part was the layers of betrayal -- father, 'husband', even Soraya's own sons, even some of the other village women. And all for no reason. The irony of the only honest man being the 'slow' one. The entrapment in an isolated village. There is just so much here that is universal.

I cannot imagine showing it to a child or even to most young adults. I think it takes a certain level of maturity to see all the levels of horror.

Edited by Alessandra

In a similar vein I just finished watching Sophie Scholl: The Final Days.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0426578/

I did not find it as draining as Stoning and would have no issue in allowing older children to watch this one. Again one sees abuse of justice, courage in the face of a twisted system and a very sad ending. Potentially a very useful film when studying the Nazis. (For younger children the only really disturbing visual comes in the last minutes of the film)

The movie is in German so subtitles are required but those who found value in Stoning should watch this one as well.

As an aside the method seen at the end of this move is accurate.

Is there a way to watch the film and just not watch the violent portion? Is it just at the end?

The visual violence (in Sophie) is really only the last 3 minutes and it is not bloody or animated, it is more a sense of what is to come. The majority of the film involves conversations, it is sad....very sad but one of those films that I personally think people should see.

Stoning gets fairly graphic for the last 15-20 minutes plus violent episodes interspaced throughout, but again I think people should see that too. Given the comments (many echo what I too feel) we will certainly wait till the children are able to deal with that film.

Is there a way to watch the film and just not watch the violent portion? Is it just at the end?

I would say absolutely not. The film opens with Soraya's aunt looking for Soraya's body the day after the stoning. There are bones only, which the aunt washes carefully in a stream.

We know what will happen. Part of the reason that the movie is powerful is that we see how a terrible confluence of circumstances leads inexorably to the final scenes. The movie was profoundly disturbing from beginning to end.

And, IMO, you cannot skip the end. The end is the reason for the movie. It is terrible that we know what Soraya does not know, and that there is no way to warn her.