Menu

Poll: Do you have a carbon monoxide dector in each floor of your house?

Poll: Do you have a carbon monoxide dector in each floor of your house?  

1. 1. Poll: Do you have a carbon monoxide dector in each floor of your house?

• No, I don't believe they are beneficial.
    • No, I think they're a good idea, but I keep forgetting to buy them.
    • Yes, but the batteries are dead.
    • Yes, one in each floor with batteries that work.

I was just curious about carbon monoxide detector use among the hive!

BTW: My grandmother died from carbon monoxide two years ago during a storm which left her without electricity. My uncle had brought over a generator, hooked it up in her garage, and left.

The door between the garage and the house was cracked (to allow the powering cords to come in), allowing enough emissions to come into the house, killing her while she was undressing for bed. Her son (my uncle) found her lying on the edge of the bed, half clothed.

The police said the carbon monoxide was off the charts.

My option is not on the list.

We have two but on the same floor. We do not have one on the 2nd floor. We do not see a need for it.

We have one in the hallway right by our smoke detector and one out in the mechanical room due to us having tankless water heater.

We do have a smoke detector on each floor though.

Holly

We own two carbon monoxide detectors. They are still in the packages. Our town requires every dwelling to have one on each floor. I'd better get busy and install them.

We've got hardwired (required by our town) smoke detectors all over the house.

Nestof3, what happened to your grandmother is a tragedy. I appreciate your sharing this with us, and I'm real sorry to hear that happened.

RC

I researched co2 detectors and found that because of our floor plan, and how sensitive they are, it wouldn't do any good to have two. If we had two they would be 8 feet apart in a 2 story entry way, one upstairs and one downstairs. We have one upstairs, at the top of the entryway.

BTW: Last year for Christmas I ordered my mother all new smoke detectors and a carbon dioxide detector. Her house is old enough to no have hot wired ones so I had to buy battery operated ones. Her old detectors were 20 years old because she didn't realize that you were supposed to replace them every 6-10 years. I found ones that had lights to light the stairways when they went off, and bought the correct type for the kitchen/bath (hers always went off when she cooked so the battery was never in it). She has thanked me so many times about the gift.

I just thought I would share because Mother's Day and Father's Day are coming and I know sometimes it can be hard to find a gift.

Thank you for this post! It reminded me of the carbon monoxide detector I bought a few years ago and never took out of the package. I will be installing it today.

I'm so sorry to hear about the tragedy in your family. Thank you for reminding us how important it is to have working fire and carbon monoxide detectors in our homes!

We actually have two downstairs and one upstairs.

We have a fire/carbon monoxide detectors in the halls on both floors. They are the buzzer and spoken alarm type.

Then we have separate carbon dioxide and natural gas detectors in the utility/laundry room that is next to the garage.

Once I had carpet cleaners come and they pulled partially into my garage to run the hoses in. My CO2 detector went off after half and hour.

That was kind of scary.

downstairs where the woodstove is and all of the rest of our appliances are electric.

We do keep a generator at the house in the event of a long-term power outage because we wouldn't be able to get water out of our well (electric well pump) and the one time we used it for a couple of hours we kept it downstairs and kept the windows open because we were concerned about CO2..

I think there should be a fifth option: we have nothing in our home that produces carbon monoxide! (According to my firefighter brother) Our home is 100% electric. :)

Sorry -- faulty poll. :blush:

Of course, it would have been nice if my uncle had plugged in a detector for my grandmother eventhough she didn't need it up until that point. :tongue_smilie:

One on each level of the house. Carbon monoxide scares me. Growing up, we had electric everything in the house, but we had a CO detector on the first floor. Why?

The first week my dad was at college, he was visiting a friend's apartment. It got cold and they turned on the heat. It was not properly vented. My dad's friend died. My dad lived, although the doctors didn't think he would. He was one of the first people treated for CO poisoning in a hyperbaric chamber. He was even in Ladies Home Journal for it. (This was in the late 1950's.) Anyway, for many years his story was part of one of the nursing classes at Ohio State, where the accident occurred. When my mom was in that class, her friends told the prof that maybe she shouldn't use that story because my mom was dating my dad. (Obviously, this was all way before I was born.) Anyway, no one could ever figure out why my dad, who was exposed to the same amount of CO didn't die with his friend. My mom, who told the prof that she wanted to talk about the situation, figured it out. My dad had a beer that evening. It slowed his metabolism down enough that his body did not ingest as much CO as his friend.

Oh, and my mom's cousin committed suicide by closing the garage door with a running car inside.

Needless to say, my parents were always very concerned about CO. I think car exhaust was one thing they were concerned about.