Menu

My heart is broken

I hesitate to even post this as so many of you are spending your first Christmas without mothers, fathers, children, etc. But I am sad and broken hearted. One of my brothers, "K" (who came home from Iraq this past summer) lives in Kansas. Our youngest brother, "S" is deployed to Afghanistan, and he put it for his R&R after Christmas (he has asked for us not to share exactly when due to security reasons). He was so sweet and wanted to make sure all the men and women with little children got to come home before/around Christmas. Anyway, my brothers haven't seen each other in over two years due to deployments/training/etc, and so K was planning to take leave and come home when S comes home so we could all celebrate Christmas together. K called yesterday and said the army just told him he has to take some kind of training for six weeks, which covers the time when S will be home. He tried to refuse, but that is severely frowned upon, and he is up for a promotion soon. When he called me, he was pretty torn up about it. I told him he should just go on to the training because that's what S would want. I have been so looking forward to having both my brothers home for "Christmas" this year, and my heart is aching. Now when I hear "I'll Be Home for Christmas" I just want to boohoo. :crying:

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I'm so sorry. It's hard being a military family. Deployments, orders, TDYs - they all conspire to keep us separated sometimes.

Will you get to see your brothers each separately, at least, during their respective leaves?

:grouphug:

Somewhere in C.S. Lewis' writings, he talks about the issue of our own suffering, and how we shouldn't compare our grief to that of others. That - at the very moment it occurs - the man mourning for his wife and the housewife whose dinner has burnt when expecting company - the pain is as equal and palpable for each of them.

Of course, Lewis says it better than I do. ;)

But - my point - you have every reason to cry and be upset. It's ok. I know you'll take it to Jesus and allow Him to carry the burden.

I'm so sorry for you. :grouphug:

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I'm so sorry. It's hard being a military family. Deployments, orders, TDYs - they all conspire to keep us separated sometimes.

Will you get to see your brothers each separately, at least, during their respective leaves?

I will definitely get to see my youngest brother. And now K is planning to save up his leave to come home in the summer when S gets home from Afghanistan for good.

That stinks. The army does have a way of screwing the best laid plans into the ground. :grouphug:

It does seem that way sometimes.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: for all of your family

Thank you.

:grouphug:

Somewhere in C.S. Lewis' writings, he talks about the issue of our own suffering, and how we shouldn't compare our grief to that of others. That - at the very moment it occurs - the man mourning for his wife and the housewife whose dinner has burnt when expecting company - the pain is as equal and palpable for each of them.

Of course, Lewis says it better than I do. ;)

But - my point - you have every reason to cry and be upset. It's ok. I know you'll take it to Jesus and allow Him to carry the burden.

I'm so sorry for you. :grouphug:

Thank you for saying that. It just seems like a lot of times I'm whining about something when there is so much "real" suffering in the world, ya know?

You have plenty of reason to be heartbroken here. I'm so sorry it's not going to work out as everyone planned. :grouphug:

Thank you.

I hesitate to even post this as so many of you are spending your first Christmas without mothers, fathers, children, etc. But I am sad and broken hearted. One of my brothers, "K" (who came home from Iraq this past summer) lives in Kansas. Our youngest brother, "S" is deployed to Afghanistan, and he put it for his R&R after Christmas (he has asked for us not to share exactly when due to security reasons). He was so sweet and wanted to make sure all the men and women with little children got to come home before/around Christmas. Anyway, my brothers haven't seen each other in over two years due to deployments/training/etc, and so K was planning to take leave and come home when S comes home so we could all celebrate Christmas together. K called yesterday and said the army just told him he has to take some kind of training for six weeks, which covers the time when S will be home. He tried to refuse, but that is severely frowned upon, and he is up for a promotion soon. When he called me, he was pretty torn up about it. I told him he should just go on to the training because that's what S would want. I have been so looking forward to having both my brothers home for "Christmas" this year, and my heart is aching. Now when I hear "I'll Be Home for Christmas" I just want to boohoo. :crying:

It depends upon his unit and his superiors. But, honestly? In this situation? I would suggest your brother at least try talking to his chain of command and explain. :grouphug: