Menu

One more time. Nook or Kindle?

I had pretty much decided I was getting a Kindle 3 Wi-Fi until today. Our library has just announced that ebooks are available. I looked at availability of books and it is surprisingly good! They have many new releases. Now I understand why having epub is important. It really wasn't on my radar until today.

Does anyone know if Amazon intends to make epub available? I was completely on board with getting a Kindle, so I now need to look more closely at Nook. I've played with a Kindle 2, but not a Kindle 3 or Nook. Thoughts on both ereaders and pointers to helpful reviews/websites would be wonderful.

I am fuzzy on the details so perhaps someone can clarify this:

I thought one could convert e-book files (for example epub to something Kindle reads) by using the simple (and free!) converter like Calibre.

I have the kindle, but have never bothered to convert the files because it is a pain to mess with my library's e-book system. When I bought the Kindle the big plus for me was the free 3G... I don't have a smart phone and I have used the Kindle to check restaurants and maps while traveling (plus downloading a new book in seconds on day 5 of a long road trip in the middle of nowhere AZ was soooo needed!)

I researched this to death. It is HARD to convert library books to Kindle format; not impossible, I don't think, but hard. Why is it hard? Because you're basically breaking the law by removing the DRM (digital rights management) from the book. I am a pretty techy person, but even I found the steps challenging to follow (i 'tested out' converting so I could see how hard it was). I don't think I'd want to do this for every book. And my library has quite a fair number of library ebooks.

Anyway, DH got me a nook on sale yesterday, and I am going to try it out for a few days. He also ordered a Kindle (thinking that was what I wanted) which hasn't arrived, but my guess is we'll be sendin it back. I know it's lighter, but I think the ebook capability and open-source nature of nook is better for me. I have already downloaded 5 library books for my Nook and transferred them in one step. Very easy.

So far, I'm really liking my Nook. I find the navigation bar on the bottom a little annoying, as it's a touch screen and not my fave, but considering the library book is a major factor, it's worth it. And it was 99 bucks :)

I'll confess I haven't tried it yet, b/c my library has a grand total of about 30 e-books, lol, but this seems quite easy. The books still expire, they are just in a readable format for Kindle, so I'd have no worries about legalities.

Maybe I'll get ambitious and try it out.

Does anyone have a Sony? Dh said he really liked that one after looking at all 3. He ordered the Sony for me....anyone else?? I hope I love it!

Faithe

We love our Sony readers. Our library is almost entirely digital so we need a variety of ereaders, but we all prefer our Sony readers. I'd love to get one of the new models.

I researched this to death. It is HARD to convert library books to Kindle format; not impossible, I don't think, but hard. Why is it hard? Because you're basically breaking the law by removing the DRM (digital rights management) from the book. I am a pretty techy person, but even I found the steps challenging to follow (i 'tested out' converting so I could see how hard it was). I don't think I'd want to do this for every book. And my library has quite a fair number of library ebooks.

Anyway, DH got me a nook on sale yesterday, and I am going to try it out for a few days. He also ordered a Kindle (thinking that was what I wanted) which hasn't arrived, but my guess is we'll be sendin it back. I know it's lighter, but I think the ebook capability and open-source nature of nook is better for me. I have already downloaded 5 library books for my Nook and transferred them in one step. Very easy.

So far, I'm really liking my Nook. I find the navigation bar on the bottom a little annoying, as it's a touch screen and not my fave, but considering the library book is a major factor, it's worth it. And it was 99 bucks :)

Were you using calibre to try and convert or is there something else? I'm somewhat techy myself and just getting around our library's new ebook site on my Mac was giving me fits! I'm also not a huge touch screen fan :glare:.

There is one thing I readily admit to and that's being CHEAP! Ahem, or I should say frugal, especially for non-essential items like an e-reader. I said I wouldn't get one until they dropped to under $100. I have enough swagbucks Amazon gift cards and an Amazon reward card from my credit card to bring a Wi-Fi Kindle 3 to under $100, or I could buy a refurbed Nook with 3G for $99. Eventually. I see the ones on Overstock sold out. I'm not in a rush though.

I appreciate all your input. Keep your thoughts coming!

Were you using calibre to try and convert or is there something else? I'm somewhat techy myself and just getting around our library's new ebook site on my Mac was giving me fits! I'm also not a huge touch screen fan :glare:.

There is one thing I readily admit to and that's being CHEAP! Ahem, or I should say frugal, especially for non-essential items like an e-reader. I said I wouldn't get one until they dropped to under $100. I have enough swagbucks Amazon gift cards and an Amazon reward card from my credit card to bring a Wi-Fi Kindle 3 to under $100, or I could buy a refurbed Nook with 3G for $99. Eventually. I see the ones on Overstock sold out. I'm not in a rush though.

I appreciate all your input. Keep your thoughts coming!

I was using calibre, but calibre alone wont convert DRM protected books. So you need an alternate download which will "strip" the protection off the book, and thereby allow you to convert it. I believe, upon illegal conversion of this sort, the book is no longer "library" material, meaning you don't have to return it--you've sort of made an illegal copy of it, but I could be wrong. Anyway, it was a pain- and I gave up about halfway through. After all, I had my nook in hand, and I liked it well enough that I couldn't see taking the time to figure it out, kwim?

I too am FRUGAL, and the availability of books at my library here and at my old library in NYC to which I still belong is amazing--about 5,000 ebooks in all. And all the google books that are available as epubs makes me salivate. I haven't bought any books yet! Also, i read books really really fast (I'm talking novels, not other sorts) and it pains me when I pay 10 dollars for a book that I finish in 2 days :)

I was using calibre, but calibre alone wont convert DRM protected books. So you need an alternate download which will "strip" the protection off the book, and thereby allow you to convert it. I believe, upon illegal conversion of this sort, the book is no longer "library" material, meaning you don't have to return it--you've sort of made an illegal copy of it, but I could be wrong. Anyway, it was a pain- and I gave up about halfway through. After all, I had my nook in hand, and I liked it well enough that I couldn't see taking the time to figure it out, kwim?

:)

Okay, I think I'm going to have to agree. I had a link from the Amazon Facebook page that said there was a legal workaround, that didn't strip due dates and such, but when I took a look at the actual procedure, definitely not accurate. It strips the DRM, which is technically illegal even if you are careful to delete the book after the due date, and isn't simply at all. I had it in my mind that an Amazon rep had posted the link, but it was just a poster.

I'm still getting a new kindle for dd, tho', because it's ultra cool and there are soooo many free kid books and classics she enjoys reading. Also, she's hard to buy for, and an influx of Kindle cards will be far more welcome than an influx of junk a 12 yr old girl is 'supposed' to want ;)

I'm techie too, and I have a Kindle.

So far, I can buy books anywhere I want, I can strip the DRM out of an epub to transfer the file onto a Kindle, but I cannot strip it from a Kindle file.

If we were to buy a Sony or a Kobo (no Nook in Canada), I couldn't transfer files from Amazon onto it. But with a Kindle, I can do all I want. Freedom!

As for stripping the DRM being illegal, it's highly debatable. As long as one doesn't make duplicate copies to give away to people, and one just strip to be able to use one's own device, I have no problem with that. As for what the law says, it will vary per country, of course.

As for the technical side, yes I use Caliber to transfer files into a Kindle friendly format. And for the DRM stripping, the setup is complicated, but only done once. You have to install Perl on your computer, and download a little Perl script afterwards. Since I already had Perl, it was pretty easy for me.

main 2 reasons, Kindle's proprietary Mobi format and you can't replace the battery yourself. Also, my Nook has an outside speaker and I don't like Kindles keypad.

I wrote this review for the Nook when I got it in June. I love it utterly.

http://www.aworkinprogress.net/2010/07/another-ereader-review-my-nook.html

They finally updated the firmware to 1.5. Now we get to finally organize to my hearts content and the page turns are a lot faster.

It is my very very favorite thing.

:iagree::iagree: I tried to convert an Amazon book I bought for my Nook and I am really techy but it was really annoying. Why bother with all that. I get content from anywhere I like and can put it on my phone, my Nook, my dd's astak ez reader, anywhere I like, no conversion needed.

Okay, I think I'm going to have to agree. I had a link from the Amazon Facebook page that said there was a legal workaround, that didn't strip due dates and such, but when I took a look at the actual procedure, definitely not accurate. It strips the DRM, which is technically illegal even if you are careful to delete the book after the due date, and isn't simply at all. I had it in my mind that an Amazon rep had posted the link, but it was just a poster.

I'm still getting a new kindle for dd, tho', because it's ultra cool and there are soooo many free kid books and classics she enjoys reading. Also, she's hard to buy for, and an influx of Kindle cards will be far more welcome than an influx of junk a 12 yr old girl is 'supposed' to want ;)

There are thousands of free books you can get other places than Amazon.

Site for Free Ebooks

http://manybooks.net/categories/CHI/77

this is my favorite, it has a huge listing of public domain books in a very friendly format

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

http://www.free-ebooks.net/

http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/freebooks.htm

http://www.baen.com/library/

http://www.suvudu.com/freelibrary/

http://www.homeofheroes.com/books/index.html

I'm enjoying it so far, and chose it primarily because I prefer its navigation system. However, there is a lot to be said for the e-pub format. Normally the battery replacement issue would have sent me to Nook, but from what we've heard the battery usually outlasts the standard warranty, and DIY instructions for obtaining and replacing Kindle batteries are available online.

Two things about Kindle that I don't like; it's way too easy to accidentally hit "buy" when trying to navigate to the reviews. However, it is easy to "back out" if you do that. All of the content (free or otherwise) I've acquired so far has frequent misplaced hyphenation which I'd classify as a minor distraction, but good grief...it's even present in Amazon's "deluxe Mobile Reference editions". You'd think that sort of thing could be eliminated.

I bought a Kindle expecting to use it primarily for buying new titles, but also for acquiring digital copies of favorites for travel. A lot of the free content available through Amazon is of questionable quality, but some is quite good--you have to read the reviews. If our library starts offering e-books we may buy a Nook too. Even at the regular price, I can easily spend the price of an e-reader in one conventional book order :tongue_smilie:.

There are thousands of free books you can get other places than Amazon.

Site for Free Ebooks

http://manybooks.net/categories/CHI/77

this is my favorite, it has a huge listing of public domain books in a very friendly format

http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page

http://www.free-ebooks.net/

http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/freebooks.htm

http://www.baen.com/library/

http://www.suvudu.com/freelibrary/

http://www.homeofheroes.com/books/index.html

Oh, yes, I do know that. What I meant to say was that we prefer the Kindle overall, and the inability to borrow library books is not a deal breaker because there are so many free ones on the net for her to read. I'd likely feel differently if our library had thousands, but sadly they do not.

Added to the mix now: Kobo. I am seriously leaning in this direction. Wi-Fi, expandable memory, light (7.8 oz), no touch screen, and a biggie for me, epub compatible. Did I mention it's $119?

Does anyone have a Kobo they want to talk about :D?

Two possible negatives I noticed after a quick look at the website are that the battery can't be replaced (I wonder how long it will last?) and there's no AC power adapter for charging included. It does look like it will accept certain phone chargers, though. Sounds interesting; I'd also love to hear from someone who has one. After only a couple of weeks we're thinking that one e-reader per family isn't enough, and if we buy a second would want epub compatibility. Decisions, decisions!

Two possible negatives I noticed after a quick look at the website are that the battery can't be replaced (I wonder how long it will last?) and there's no AC power adapter for charging included. It does look like it will accept certain phone chargers, though. Sounds interesting; I'd also love to hear from someone who has one. After only a couple of weeks we're thinking that one e-reader per family isn't enough, and if we buy a second would want epub compatibility. Decisions, decisions!

Good point on the battery.

Anyone with a Kobo??

I am fuzzy on the details so perhaps someone can clarify this:

I thought one could convert e-book files (for example epub to something Kindle reads) by using the simple (and free!) converter like Calibre.

I have the kindle, but have never bothered to convert the files because it is a pain to mess with my library's e-book system. When I bought the Kindle the big plus for me was the free 3G... I don't have a smart phone and I have used the Kindle to check restaurants and maps while traveling (plus downloading a new book in seconds on day 5 of a long road trip in the middle of nowhere AZ was soooo needed!)

The Nook 3G version also has free 3G.

Does the new Nook color have the same screen as the original Nook? Does it still use e-ink, or does it have a glossy look like the ipad? I like all the new features of the color, but wonder if the screen is less friendly on the eyes.

There is no color e-ink device available yet, unfortunately. The Nook color is not as easy on the eyes (although it doesn't bother everyone).

You can also lend books to another Nook owner (just once per book, but that's still more than the Kindle).

Kindle allows book lending now, and it's the same as Nook - once per book. You can also share books on up to 6 Kindles registered to the same account.

I went back and forth over the two, but really liked the feel of the Kindle (I played with the Nook at a B&N store). My library doesn't yet have ebooks, and I doubt they will anytime soon. I've downloaded a bunch of free books, many of them classics, for my Kindle.

I don't know anyone with an ereader who's unhappy with their choice, so it seems all of us will tell you we love our (name your ereader here). Good luck, with your decision. I don't think you'll be sorry whichever way you go. Ereaders are so convenient!

Anyone with a Kobo??

No, but I've played with it at the Chapters store quite often. For me, it was between the Kobo and the Kindle. The Kindle won, simply because I chose to go with the market leader. (I have a smartphone, but not an iPhone. I regret it at times).

Most of the Kobos on display are dead though, they don't seem to resist the crowd manipulation. The refresh rate seems slightly slower than the Kindle 3, but not a lot. I dislike the navigation on it, compared to the Kindle. The button to turn pages is always on the right, even though I sometimes hold it in my left hand. I end up using the keyboard quite often too.

I can't remember if I mentioned this on this thread, but I wouldn't buy an ereader without putting my hands on it first, preferably in comparison to a couple of other contenders. I rather liked the Sony ereader until I saw the Kindle, and then it really suffered in comparison. (older models, don't know about the new ones)

Particularly with the lower end ones, I'd have some concerns about readability (I love the Kindle for how easy it is on the eyes), ease of use, and general 'feel.' I like my stuff to feel 'quality,' kwim? Some gadgets just have that cheap, clunky feel to them, kind of awkward and feels like they're going to break any moment. This doesn't always go hand in hand with price, though.

I can't remember if I mentioned this on this thread, but I wouldn't buy an ereader without putting my hands on it first, preferably in comparison to a couple of other contenders. I rather liked the Sony ereader until I saw the Kindle, and then it really suffered in comparison. (older models, don't know about the new ones)

Particularly with the lower end ones, I'd have some concerns about readability (I love the Kindle for how easy it is on the eyes), ease of use, and general 'feel.' I like my stuff to feel 'quality,' kwim? Some gadgets just have that cheap, clunky feel to them, kind of awkward and feels like they're going to break any moment. This doesn't always go hand in hand with price, though.

Yes! I totally agree about handling several ereaders before making a final decision.

I was completely torn. I wanted a Kindle. I had handled a Kindle 2 and really liked it. I was very disappointed when I discovered that I couldn't take out ebooks from our library with a Kindle. The next obvious choice would be a Nook. I wasn't thrilled about the touchscreen, but figured I could get used to it. Finally, I started looking at Kobo. It was totally a dark horse contender. I discovered my local Wal-Mart had them in stock and decided to look. I was surprised to discover, they also had a Nook!

Hands down, I LOVED the Kobo. I love the "quilted" back. I love the responsiveness for page turning. I love the lack of buttons to accidentally push. It is simple and bare bones and perfect for me :001_smile:. I ordered the Wi-Fi edition on borders.com tonight for $119. I would have gone for the one without Wi-Fi, but it didn't have the same responsiveness or a dictionary :001_wub:.

So, just had to let you know the direction I went, after all your great help. I'll keep you posted once it arrives. It's back ordered for two weeks. I was tempted to pick one up at Wally World, but it was $10 more, due to Cyber Monday on borders.com.

Okay, so i have a retraction..LOL. I opened up the Kindle that DH had ordered for me BEFORE he went to B&N to get the on-sale Nook on Black Friday. I had hesitated opening it, as I was happy with my Nook, and didn't want to deal with another option.

But I opened it, and I really like it. I know you can't read library books on it, which stinks, but I really like the keyboard and the "forward" and "back" buttons. I am not a touch screen gal, so the touch screen on the Nook was never my favorite. Also, for downloaded free ebooks, such as google books, you can't place a typewritten note on a given page with the Nook (a note like "great drills for multiplication" for example); you can only place a 'bookmark'. But the Kindle allows you to make notes not only in downloaded kindle books, but in downloaded free ebooks. I am using my e-reader for a lot of vintage school books, and the ability to make a small note about what's on a given page is very useful.

For the moment, I am going to return my Nook and keep the Kindle. But ask me in an hour!! :lol:

Edited by Halcyon

Okay, so i have a retraction..LOL. I opened up the Kindle that DH had ordered for me BEFORE he went to B&N to get the on-sale Nook on Black Friday. I had hesitated opening it, as I was happy with my Nook, and didn't want to deal with another option.

But I opened it, and I really like it. I know you can't read library books on it, which stinks, but I really like the keyboard and the "forward" and "back" buttons. I am not a touch screen gal, so the touch screen on the Nook was never my favorite. Also, for downloaded free ebooks, such as google books, you can't place a typewritten note on a given page with the Nook (a note like "great drills for multiplication" for example); you can only place a 'bookmark'. But the Kindle allows you to make notes not only in downloaded kindle books, but in downloaded free ebooks. I am using my e-reader for a lot of vintage school books, and the ability to make a small note about what's on a given page is very useful.

For the moment, I am going to return my Nook and keep the Kindle. But ask me in an hour!! :lol:

I now have both, Nook color and Kindle. I really like the Kindle better. I like the way the dictionary works on it. I like the text to speech option for words dc cannot quite figure out. I find the Nook to be a little confusing to operate. (My ds said the Nook is like a pc; Kindle is a mac.) The non-glare screen has a horrible glare. The only thing I like about the Nook is the ability to check out library books easily. On every other option, Kindle is by far superior. I keep telling myself that with use and experience the Nook will be just as good. (The kids seem to like it a little better.)