Menu

?? question about raitings....

I received a bad rating/review for suggesting an accredited school.... How do we know who is leaving this feedback if they do not leave a name or link? Has anyone else had any problems??

I dont want to be affraid to share if I get a bad mark for a suggestion... KWIM? Especially if it effects our trustworthiness....

Thanks for any help!

You can't tell who is leaving negative feedback and I doubt they will come out and say. I think someone may be purposefully going around and doing that. I had one and they did leave a comment, so I don't think it was a "mistake." Anyway, I think it would take a whole lot of negatives to turn your green box red and don't really understand the purpose because only I can see the comments for my own, I don't believe we can tell what other people leave for others.

winkanim.gif

Kristine

I am going to go on record and say those that leave negative ratings without a name are cowards. Period. You are a coward.

And I am not talking about the joking that Peek and I have, where I stated that my goal was to rack up negative points cuz I wanted to be under everyone, so I could kick more people, either. :)

I'm talking about the kind of cowards who, on the old board, would go anonymous just so they could "tell you off" and then walk away. The negative ratings given based on that kind of action is cowardly. Calling yourself a Christian and pulling that is cowardly.

If you've something to say, say it. Don't be a coward and hide anonymously behind a fake name or a "ratings system" just because you can. It is not endearing and is in fact, quite cowardly.

Using the ratings system the way I and a few others are--as jokes, playing around, teasing--is no different than us poking each other in the ribs in real life. We are just having fun with it.

But to do what happened to you, without signing a name or at least a reason why--COWARDLY.

Period.

Now slap me with a negative rating for this--I could care less. In fact, it just makes you more of a coward to give me a negative for speaking the truth.

As someone in the other thread said--"If you don't have enemies, you've never taken a stand."

Here's my theory:

When you receive rep:

gray square = no points

green square = points

red square = negative points from a bad rep

Gray square does not mean neutral, nor does it mean that you got a bad rep. It just means that the person repping you had no rep power. I think it is very likely that people are giving you good reps with no points and the fact that they have no rep power is leaving a gray square leading you to believe that it's negative.

Somewhere along the way someone said that the gray square is neutral rep or that was negative and it got repeated as if it were truth.

I have recieved gray squares worth no points with positive comments and names.

The private comments are much more meaningful and useful than the points...if you want points go play Zuma ;-)

I agree with GothicGyrl that leaving it with no name is cowardly. I'm guessing some of the negative rep is people negatively reacting against people they never liked, regardless of the post. That said, there will always be people who don't like you and people who would rather talk behind your back (post anon, under a fake name or give bad rep points without leaving their name) instead of telling it to your face. I don't understand those people.

I think it's ridiculous. People shouldn't be allowed to leave negative ratings/comments anonymously. Either they need to speak up publicly and give their two cents worth, or else use the ignore feature. Otherwise very few people are going to want to hang around here.

I received a bad rating/review for suggesting an accredited school.... How do we know who is leaving this feedback if they do not leave a name or link? Has anyone else had any problems??

I dont want to be affraid to share if I get a bad mark for a suggestion... KWIM? Especially if it effects our trustworthiness....

Thanks for any help!

OK, that just makes me mad that someone would leave you a bad rep, Lisa!!:(

I just gave you a positive rep to cancel it out. :D

I'm in the crowd that thinks the whole shebang should be done away with.

BTW, thanks for sending me your article. I'm going to read it tonight or in the morning.

How do you leave a positive rep? I would be happy to leave a positive one for Lisa too. She has never been anything but positive. I always look forward to her comments on my blog.

Click on Lisa's post, then go to the scales (balance) in the upper right hand corner. Click on that and you will have the option to leave positive or negative feedback.

Yep, someone gave me a bad rating b/c I said our attitude was what makes our homeschool fun. Just a SMILEY face was left as a message. Fun, huh?

So juvenile. I just mentioned elsewhere that I got a bad rating when I responded to the thread about the upcoming tax rebate. Let's see...A member here asks what we think; I share what I think; and someone anonymously rates me and says, "yawn - who cares?". It's laughable in a sense ~ but then, it's not. Because the irony is that folks are excited to have a new format and weed out spam and anonymous posts...but any number of yahoos can hang around leaving anonymous negative ratings. Go figure!:rolleyes:

We don't know who these people are, but we know they are Christian :confused:

Yep, because the majority of the women on this board are Christian--based on conversations on many previous versions of this board.

And it was more of a "How can you call yourself one, if..." comment... and I stand by it. I would call out the atheist who hid, anonymously, behind the ratings as well. But I would be more ticked off at the atheist because, as a whole, they are supposed to have risen above behavior like that, considering that kind of behavior is what made them consider being one in the first place.

No, I'm not saying that type of behavior is expected of Christians. Nor am I saying the majority comes from them. I'm simply saying that one of the "virtures" of being atheist is that we don't take too kindly to game playing and if I know I'm the atheist and I'm on a board where I know the majority are Christian--simple math would tell me one of them did it (probability). Of course, I suck at math, :) so hey...

But again, don't read too much into my comment. Like I said, it was meant more of a "and if you say you are..." comment than anything.

I just wanted to add that once you get a red square (thank you Smiley Face, whoever you are!) all your previously GREEN squares turn GREY or GRAY (however you want to spell it). I think it should be disabled and allow those that want to give kudos or make comments leave private messages which is something each user has an option of turning off or ignoring the people they want.

It's sad that in a discussion board for adults we still have immature, childish behavior.

It's sad that in a discussion board for adults we still have immature, childish behavior.

Jessica, I am going through this very thing on a homeschooling list I am on. I got called out because I used "kick ass" when paying someone a compliment!!! But then I got admonished for daring to tell them to stop using the CC feature and replying to all 1,000 of your private group with the same message at the same time because of privacy issues.

And I'm one of the main mods. :) The owner is about to call the cowards out right now, but I'm sick of supposed adults hiding behind the anonymity of the internet. Dayum, I've never been anyone but who I say--ask Peek or anyone who has ever met me or talked to me on the phone (Cleo, Sue in St. pete both have met me)... I AM who I say..

Why is that so hard to be? Why be someone different just because the medium allows you to be? That's like lying and I loathe lying. Pathetic really.

I'm sorry, but I don't see what the big deal is. If you click on the scales, you get two choices -- "I approve" or "I disapprove." I don't see anything more inflammatory than that. I think the toy is poorly named, i.e., "reputation" -- I think that could be better worded.

I certainly don't expect every person reading my posts to "approve" or agree with what I say. It's better if they only think that? Actually, I find I'm usually in the minority on most things. Like now. :-)

Please -- feel free to disapprove of this post! :-D

Kris,

It's not that they disapprove, that's not a big deal. But don't disapprove and leave a smile face as the only message. If you're willing to say you disapprove, why wouldn't you say why- esp. if it's anonymous? The only time *I* could see using the 'disapprove' option is when someone is being downright ugly to another but that's just my own personal filtering and I don't expect others to do the same.

You posted in disagreement, allowing everyone to see who you are even though others might disagree with you.

Can you see what others say about each other, either positive or negative? Can you see how many positives or negatives they get from others? Or is it only for that person (the one who received the comment) eyes?

I don't understand this feature at all... When you scroll over the green thingy, it just says so and so is on the distinguished road.

To me (since I haven't found out how to view anything with the reputation in regards to other people), you would only know if someone was bad because their square would turn red? Is that correct?

{{Lisa}} That stinks... And I agree, I think the "reputation" would only be beneficial to selling or buying.

~Tina

Yep, someone gave me a bad rating b/c I said our attitude was what makes our homeschool fun. Just a SMILEY face was left as a message. Fun, huh?

That sounds weird! What was the post about? I don't see how anyone's attitude making their homeschool fun could be warrant a disapproval. Do you think they meant to leave positive feedback, considering the smiley face?

I think there should be some comment, to give the person an idea of why you're rating their post positive or negative. I've gotten some with grey squares and no comment, so I have no idea whether they're good or bad.

It would help if we had any idea how this works, too. I think it's definitely needed for the sale/swap board, and could be useful on the other boards to designate very informative or helpful posters vs. misinformation, flaming, etc.

I wouldn't be upset if I got a negative, but I sure would like to know why if I did.

Thanks for any help!

I just went and read your post that you said got the bad rating. I don't see how that could warrant a negative - you were being helpful! Unless there is someone who hates NARS (?).

I think it's awfully suspicious that you got a negative for a post that doesn't seem to warrant it, and Jessica did, too. I wonder if someone is just giving bad rep to people (and their friends), not the posts themselves.

Now that's mean and childish. I guess we can expect anyone who is very vocal in one way or another, or very prominent, (and their friends) to get bad rep.

Don't let it hurt your feelings, Lisa. You are so sweet - I think you were the first person who commented on my new blog!

There was a very long thread about this yesterday. It surely makes me reread my posts hoping I have not offended anyone, but really there is no way not to. I'm sorry you received one. I would not think you in any way not trust worthy! Can we send your page a rebuttal?

I guess what surprised me most... was that I didnt say anything that was wrong... Just suggsted a link.... and then I didnt get any why to the negative response... That is frustrating...

lol! Thanks... It s good to know you got my back! *Ü* If I get anymore, Im posting for you to come help me! lol

Okay, I really don't much care except on Sale/Swap as has been mentioned BUT how do you even know you've gotten feedback?

Mary

If you look atthe top left corner where it says User Control Panel (CP)... click on that... you will see then... *Ü*

If someone already answered this sorry for the repeat...

Here's my theory:

When you receive rep:

gray square = no points

green square = points

red square = negative points from a bad rep

Gray square does not mean neutral, nor does it mean that you got a bad rep. It just means that the person repping you had no rep power. I think it is very likely that people are giving you good reps with no points and the fact that they have no rep power is leaving a gray square leading you to believe that it's negative.

Somewhere along the way someone said that the gray square is neutral rep or that was negative and it got repeated as if it were truth.

I have recieved gray squares worth no points with positive comments and names.

The private comments are much more meaningful and useful than the points...if you want points go play Zuma ;-)

This is good to know.... I do have points... and I dont care about that... it was the negative that bugged me w/o reason.... but I also have more positive than that 1 neg.... so maybe thats why Im still green? *Ü*

Thanks for this info... it is helpful.

OK, that just makes me mad that someone would leave you a bad rep, Lisa!!:(

I just gave you a positive rep to cancel it out. :D

I'm in the crowd that thinks the whole shebang should be done away with.

BTW, thanks for sending me your article. I'm going to read it tonight or in the morning.

You are so awesome! You made my night!! Seriously...

I agree, I don't really like the rep thing. Sure, the good reputation is fine and I enjoyed that messages that I just realized I had! But the bad reputation isn't nice. I haven't gotten any bad rep and I certainly haven't given any (I have no idea how!). Sorry to those that have.:(

oh man! Thank you for the good ratings! You all have just put a huge smile on my face....I didnt mean to start anything! lol Its good to know you gals got my back here! *Ü* I have friends in high palces now.... alright.... *Ü*

Ladies... you are all tops....

I can see that I have *11 points*, there are no visible comments and my button hasn't turned red yet! LOL.

What do the points mean?

Oh, and don't worry about any of this. I doubt this feature will last very long. Susan Wise Bauer responded in the thread Kristine (I think?) started about this, and she agreed that it may have to go because it invites abuse.

I still don't see where you can see your reputation or points-- on the User Control Panel, I don't see anything about that... When you post, I can see green box near the name, but nothing about reputation that I can tell.... where would I find it?

Try now, Anne. You should have a positive from me, with a message, and probably 11 points.