Menu

s/o is it really true that high school history and science assume NO prior exposure?

Halcyon

I believe it was 8fillstheheart who mentioned in another thread that high school history and science presume no prior exposure to the subjects at all. Is this true? If so, I would feel much more comfortable following rabbit trails. Right now, my son wants to continue studying explorers and Native American culture, but I am itching to finish SOTW 2 (we're on Chapter 37...so close LOL). I know this rabbit trail will take us a month or more, and felt apprehensive until I read 8fillsthehearts comments about HS History and Science.

Thoughts? Knowledge from those btdt?

I guess it depends on if you plan on using a textbook approach. I think most people do for science, we do and we also don't do formal science until 7th grade and it has gone well for us. History is a little bit different if you're going to use a history curriculum such as TOG. TOG assumes prior knowledge at the rhetoric level, especially as you get into the 19th and 20th centuries.

I don't really have an answer for you about the high school question. I just wanted to say...........follow the bunny trail; he's only 8....high school is a ways away. And....I mean that in a nice, positive way.....not snippy. I think if he's interested in the the early explorers and Native American's than do some further learning about that. :chillpill: on the SOTW for a month.

Hmmmmm......I wonder if he'd like History Pockets for extra hands-on fun??

You can do it without previous history and science, BUT to do it well, you will need math skills for science, reading skills for history, and solid study skills for both. Obviously, it's not an either/or situation, but if it was, a student would be better off with solid math and reading skills than an overwhelming knowledge of science and history. Even better would be solid skills and a desire to learn. I created that desire to learn by doing informal history and science all these years.

I don't think there's anything wrong with doing a formal history or science program for elementary, I just don't think you have to. I also don't think a big science or history program should EVER crowd out the time (both mom's and student's) needed for baisc skills in math, reading, and writing.

ETA: To your specific situation, though, I would say this... I encourage you to continue your plans and teach him to take ownership of his own "bunny trails." I always looked for interests in my dc, so that I could use them as an oppotunity to teach passions/interests and how we puruse them.

Edited by angela in ohio

I'll have to disagree here - at least in regards to science. While the information required is in each text - the understanding of scientific principles, the scientific method, scientific thought - those need to be nurtured from a much younger age - and there isn't really a way to do that without actually "doing" science.

Science isn't all about the facts - it is a way of thinking as well.

I don't really have an answer for you about the high school question. I just wanted to say...........follow the bunny trail; he's only 8....high school is a ways away. And....I mean that in a nice, positive way.....not snippy. I think if he's interested in the the early explorers and Native American's than do some further learning about that. :chillpill: on the SOTW for a month.

Hmmmmm......I wonder if he'd like History Pockets for extra hands-on fun??

:iagree:

When I was in High School science, and even college science (last 8 years or so), they always started with the basics and then moved on. In theory, I could have had no prior knowledge about science before I took college Chem 101, but it does help. I can't imagine not knowing what the periodic table was before I took chemistry or what friction was before physics, but because of the way the courses were taught it was possible.

I think bunny trails in fertile (academic) ground are just as valid as a carefully laid out syllabus. Who is to say that one path of learning is more authentic than another?

I would add that many college courses assume no specific background either. I mean, Spanish 101 doesn't expect you know Spanish. And "Introduction to World History" doesn't expect that you know anything particular about World History. Same with "Biology I" or "Intro Chem." or wahtever. Even a freshman composition class won't assume you can write or format an essay.

But that doesn't mean we shouldn't learn something and then re-learn and visit over again and again. It'll be a bit different each time.

;) Guess you know my answer.

Just keep in mind that rabbit trails are still valuable educational topics. It isn't that they aren't actually doing science or history. It is that they are not doing snippett textbook/pre-defined topics based on someone else's criteria.

I actually find the enthusiasm sparked by rabbit trails is far more educational than anything pre-planned! Enjoy the freedom while they are young! :001_smile:

Edited by 8FillTheHeart

When I was in High School science, and even college science (last 8 years or so), they always started with the basics and then moved on. In theory, I could have had no prior knowledge about science before I took college Chem 101, but it does help. I can't imagine not knowing what the periodic table was before I took chemistry or what friction was before physics, but because of the way the courses were taught it was possible.

Yep. The first time I got serious about science was when I went back to college at 26 for premed requirements. At that point I was pretty much a blank slate with regard to science.

My advice for the grammar and logic stage sciences:

1. Make it fun and interesting. Bunny trails are awesome.

2. Make sure that math foundations is rock solid.

Do those two things and high school science will be no problem.

I know for a fact he would. I might just poke my eyes out if we start another lapbook/notebook/paper project though. :lol: But I'll bite--can you recommend one or two?

We loved the Native American History Pockets book. My kids did the crafts, wrote up information on 3x5 cards, designed costumes, and made recipes. Then they put on a tour for their Dad and another family. We had SO MUCH FUN! The kids wore the costumes and each pretended to be a famous Native American. We had different display areas for each of the tribes covered in the History Pocket.

That was 3+ years ago and both kids still talk about it.

I'm all for bunny trails. I think back on all the wonderful skills & content my children learned during that special unit and I wouldn't change a thing.

We loved the Native American History Pockets book. My kids did the crafts, wrote up information on 3x5 cards, designed costumes, and made recipes. Then they put on a tour for their Dad and another family. We had SO MUCH FUN! The kids wore the costumes and each pretended to be a famous Native American. We had different display areas for each of the tribes covered in the History Pocket.

That was 3+ years ago and both kids still talk about it.

I'm all for bunny trails. I think back on all the wonderful skills & content my children learned during that special unit.

We have wanted to do a Native American unit study. I have been trying to do my own research but I'm coming up empty. What age is this for? Do you have a link? Thanks

ok... I really expect my kids to have a lot of previous exposure to history and science before high school. I think having the background knowledge, even if it is not all completely retained, will help them go much deeper and farther in the future.

However, I don't think spending a month at age 8 on something he is very interested in will go against that goal at. all. We are on our fourth year of SOTW and are only in the middle of volume 2 :blush: I think any time you can go deeper into an area of intense interest will pay off later in all his history studies. You could go more quickly on some other topics of less interest in the book if it is important to keep to a time table, but I would take advantage of the fact that he wants to do this and keep his enthusiasm up for history.

Skills and attitude, not knowledge, are what is most needed to plow through the high school subjects.

A huge amount of knowledge can be acquired through video games, videos, fiction, etc. Maybe not with the accuracy and "correct" worldview of some of the favorite curriculums used here, but enough to create a base to start the high school texts on.

For science, all that really needs to be covered...in my opinion...is a rock solid understanding of the scientific method.

For history, it just happens, if the children are reading, or being read to, and talked to. So much of history was covered with my children, before and during high school, when we did family devotions. We covered a lot of church history and Christian biographies.

I'm a STRONG believer in mastering the skills, and winging the knowledge.

I know for a fact he would. I might just poke my eyes out if we start another lapbook/notebook/paper project though. :lol: But I'll bite--can you recommend one or two?

Sounds like you already found a link to them. I'm sure you saw the titles of what's available. While I think you'd like them all.....I would definitely start with the Explorers of North America and the Native Americans; perfect for you bunny trails right now. Have FUN!!

http://rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?sid=1289970487-1819849&subject=14&category=4198