Menu

If you were cooking pasta for 4 adults, how much would you cook?

Here, a full pound, and odds are there would not be leftovers. We buy imported pasta at the Italian market, 30 or so different shapes (so 30 pounds) every couple months. We go through 4 - 5 pounds a week - sometimes more. Everyone here except me loves pasta!

Edited by JFSinIL

My husband would insist that one pound would be enough, and I'd think that he was probably right, but I'd get paranoid about people wanting more and there not being enough, and I'd mutter about how I'd rather there be too much than not enough, and so I'd go with a pound and a half instead (which would be my concession to not cooking TWO pounds which would be overkill, right?)

:lol:

I am curious :)

It depends. The other night I only cooked a pound for our family of six (7 year old doesn't eat much) - but it was pasta with chicken, broccoli, mushrooms in a light pesto sauce. We also had a salad. No leftovers here.

If I were to cook just spaghetti with sauce (and even meatballs), I would have to make a pound a half.

We love food. ;)

With 4 people, 1# and expect left overs. I usually make 1 lb for 7 - 8 people, but we have big salads and bread and fruit, so while the pasta is the main course, there are other fillers on the plate with it.

ETA, now that I've thougth a little harder about it, it really depends on what I serve on the pasta; roasted vegetables, a thick tomato sauce, a rich cheese sauce, etc.

Edited by LauraGB

What am I serving with the pasta? I would probably make 2 lbs just because the thought of not having enough is horrifying to me. I would probably only need a pound and a half and then I would get the yummy leftovers the next day.

Thank YOU, girlfriend.

Now, come on over and explain to DH that I am not the only one who thinks that way!

(I will feed you...and the table will be groaning with food! :lol:)

My husband would insist that one pound would be enough, and I'd think that he was probably right, but I'd get paranoid about people wanting more and there not being enough, and I'd mutter about how I'd rather there be too much than not enough, and so I'd go with a pound and a half instead (which would be my concession to not cooking TWO pounds which would be overkill, right?)

:lol:

I totally get this post. Except for the guy laughing at the end. :tongue_smilie:

Thank YOU, girlfriend.

Now, come on over and explain to DH that I am not the only one who thinks that way!

(I will feed you...and the table will be groaning with food! :lol:)

You are definitely not the only one who thinks that way! For me, it is a family culture thing. You always make enough for 10 armies and at the last minute you must make enough for 10 more because, you know, there might not be enough. Nothing is more embarrassing then running out of something and you with a guest who wants more.

I will admit that these past few years I have been trying to break the chain a little. I stick to the enough for 10 armies without making enough for 10 more. So far, I have still had plenty of leftovers.

I will be happy to partake of your table that is overflowing with good eats. :)

About 300 grams dry weight (2/3rds of a pound, I think). I tend to cook whole grain pasta, which is more filling. We don't tend to be 'plate of pasta' people: mostly our plates will be made up of one half veg/fruit, one quarter starch (pasta) and one quarter protein.

Laura

Edited by Laura Corin

I'd make a pound a half just in case. You know how it is when you're having fun, having dinner with friends, sometimes you eat more than you normally would? Plus, a little extra pasta is not a bad thing! You can turn it into a salad the next day or have the kids eat it with some parm. cheese on top.