Menu

For fun. S/O spouses in heaven: Are you going to Heaven?

Are you going to Heaven  

1. 1. Are you going to Heaven

• I do not believe in Heaven
    • Yes, I'm going to be there
    • I'm hoping I get there
    • I'll be lucky to make it to Purgatory
    • Maybe
    • Nope, sorry, I think I'm heading the other direction
    • I have a different end belief
    • Other

Our (lovely, elderly, Jesuit, old-school) priest just gave us a stern homily against hoping for Purgatory. Hope is a supernatural virtue, and it's oriented toward eternal life: Heaven, and resurrected life at the Last Judgment. We run the race, strive for holiness, and our Hope is for Heaven.

"O my God! relying on Thy infinite goodness and promises, I hope to obtain pardon of my sins, the help of Thy grace, and life everlasting, through the merits of Jesus Christ, my Lord and Redeemer."

My belief is yes. Christ told us if anyone believes in him he will got to heaven. We get there by grace another words just believing in him. It's not about our good or bad deeds that gets us into heaven. That's not to say we shouldn't do good things to each other because we are asked to be like him as much as possible. But good things alone will not get you into heaven, you must beleive in Christ himself. Again this is my belief.

Jews believe that one does not have to be Jewish to merit going to heaven. Non-Jews of any nation can go to heaven if they keep the seven laws that were given to Noah.

1) have a fair legal system

2) no idol worship

3) no blasphemy of G-d

4) sexual morality/no adultery

5) do not murder

6) respect property, no robbery

7) no cruelty to animals (i.e. tearing a limb from a live animal)

If we have done our best to keep the laws of G-d as given in the torah (Jews have 613 commandments given to them in the torah), we will go straight to olam haba (the world to come) upon our deaths.

Jews believe that one does not have to be Jewish to merit going to heaven. Non-Jews of any nation can go to heaven if they keep the seven laws that were given to Noah.

1) have a fair legal system

2) no idol worship

3) no blasphemy of G-d

4) sexual morality/no adultery

5) do not murder

6) respect property, no robbery

7) no cruelty to animals (i.e. tearing a limb from a live animal)

If we have done our best to keep the laws of G-d as given in the torah (Jews have 613 commandments given to them in the torah), we will go straight to olam haba (the world to come) upon our deaths.

What if, hypothetically, you live in a nation without a fair legal system and plenty of idol worship going on? Is it a matter of doing your best under your life circumstances and you can get in? So, for instance, you would try to avoid idol worship and try not to use the broken legal system to your advantage?

i voted 'other' ~ i don't really know exactly what i believe right now....but at the same time, the idea of 'heaven' as this endlessly perfect beautiful amazing shiny gold everybody happy happy joy joy type thing kinda creeps me out. :001_huh:

I'm reminded of something I heard once, "An eternity of anything is torture." I'm in that camp.

You had better bet I'm going!:D

I once heard someone say that for Christian believers, life on this earth is as close as we will ever get to hell. And for those who don't believe, life on this earth is as close as they will ever get to Heaven. I have seen enough here to know that I really, really want to go someplace better for the rest of eternity!

It's not up to me to change others who believe differently and I wish them well, but that doesn't negate my beliefs.

You had better bet I'm going!:D

I once heard someone say that for Christian believers, life on this earth is as close as we will ever get to hell. And for those who don't believe, life on this earth is as close as they will ever get to Heaven. I have seen enough here to know that I really, really want to go someplace better for the rest of eternity!

It's not up to me to change others who believe differently and I wish them well, but that doesn't negate my beliefs.

Love this!!! I can't wait to get there. Above all else I can't wait to meet my personal Savior!!!!!!!:lol:

You didn't let me vote for more than one so I had to vote other. I don't believe in heaven or hell. However, if I'm wrong, I would hope I've done my part and earned my place in hell, because I sure wouldn't want to spend an eternity bowing to whatever god came up with that. :D

Edited by Audrey

Our belief is that salvation is a process and is found in the Church. I do hope to "endure to the end" in repentance and becoming more and more Christlike in this life. It's such a challenge! We so appreciate the "ark" He has provided (the Church) in which to work out that salvation. The saints who have gone before are praying for us, and God will be the judge on the judgment day. I'm so thankful for all He's given.

The decision is not up to me, but I have faith that God is loving and merciful and that Christ's sacrifice offers me the hope of salvation.

Personally, I find it the height of arrogance to say for sure that one is going to Heaven. Jesus' death gave us all the hope of salvation but He retains the final say.