Menu

? for Writing with Skill Beta testers

Nothing here either. I'm kind of relieved I haven't missed something. My dd really liked the lessons, but now she doesn't want to do the writing we were going to do before the WWS lessons came - it would be very helpful to know when more was coming so I could tell her how long she has to wait (and tell her she has to do other writing in the meantime!)

Nothing here either. I'm kind of relieved I haven't missed something. My dd really liked the lessons, but now she doesn't want to do the writing we were going to do before the WWS lessons came - it would be very helpful to know when more was coming so I could tell her how long she has to wait (and tell her she has to do other writing in the meantime!)

I totally agree with you. I'd already been planning to phase in more WTM purist outlining of history and science. Just the two week sample convinced me that this was the right way to go.

I'm so glad you asked, as I've been wondering too. I didn't choose an alternate writing program for the year, knowing we were going to be beta testing, so I've been having to come up with things while we wait. I may need to get some more concrete plans for the interim if SWB is rewriting some things. I was liking the direction we were going those first two weeks.

You could always pick a couple comperable selections and keep practicing the summarizing and outlining. There is some pretty good general guidance on outlining in the history section of the Well Trained Mind. Or you could just re read the directions in the section of WWS that you already have.

We're trying to do a lot more WTM style summarizing for history this year.

You guys sent back ENORMOUSLY helpful comments. I'm reworking the exercises and also adjusting the overall pattern in a way that I think is MUCH superior to the original layout. Hoping, when I send the lessons back out for a second take, to send at least part of the accompanying grammar text along with it.

Can't give you a date--sorry--but I AM working on it, and we'll send out a notice to everyone who was on the list for the first go-round.

SWB

You guys sent back ENORMOUSLY helpful comments. I'm reworking the exercises and also adjusting the overall pattern in a way that I think is MUCH superior to the original layout. Hoping, when I send the lessons back out for a second take, to send at least part of the accompanying grammar text along with it.

Can't give you a date--sorry--but I AM working on it, and we'll send out a notice to everyone who was on the list for the first go-round.

SWB

No pressure. I realize you're working on three books at the same time.

Gives us time to perfect those outlining skills.

Thank you for the update and for letting us be a part of this project. We can't wait to see the next round. DD has been spoiled and doesn't want to go back to her regularly scheduled programming.

Yep, that's the exact same problem we're having here... but no pressure or anything! :lol: :tongue_smilie:

• 3 weeks later...
I sent in my feedback for the first set of exercises. Did anyone get any response or indication of when the second set would be sent?

I saw SWB's post that she was reworking some sections, but I don't want to miss it in my email if we should already be doing the second batch.

Hooray, the second set of WWS lessons was in my email this morning.

I can't wait to try them with the kids. We really liked the first set.

I just have to get the house packed up, then we can spend our weeks with nothing working on writing.

It looks to me like the new material starts already in the first week, so don't ignore the first week completely.

Beth

Yeah - I'm a bit confused as to what to do to. I'm thinkng I'll have her skip re-summarizing the first two weeks' passages, but try to figure out how to have her do all that Topos stuff that was added into weeks 1 & 2. Guess I have to sit down and ponder it a while over the weekend!

I'd love to hear what others end up doing...

Alison--I would just start at lesson 1 with the new materials. No need to try to do what has already been changed up quite a bit.

I will look it over this weekend. At a quick glance, I'm excited about what *I* am going to learn from the topoi stuff. I'm guessing we will start at the beginning, but not repeat things we have already done. We will start on Monday, maybe by first a quick review of what we did with lesson 1 last time, then try the topoi stuff (days 3 & 4). I need to print it out and read it carefully--I'm one of those old-school, need it on paper kind of people.

Yeah - I'm a bit confused as to what to do to. I'm thinkng I'll have her skip re-summarizing the first two weeks' passages, but try to figure out how to have her do all that Topos stuff that was added into weeks 1 & 2. Guess I have to sit down and ponder it a while over the weekend!

We started yesterday with Day 3 of Week 1 since she'd already done Days 1 & 2 with the original assignments. I'm not planning on skipping anything else. Day 2 of Week 3 will be a repeat, but the Day 3 assignment for that week builds on Day 2. Since I want the information to be fresh in her mind, she'll just have to re-do it.

I love the changes she made. Wish the book were ready now, but at least I'll get to use the whole thing for ds!!

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I saved his work from the 1st run, so I think the best thing would be to quickly review adding in the Topos. That way you don't miss anything, but you also don't have to redo what you've done.

For those of you doing the beta testing, can you look at my post on outlining? We are following SWB's directions for outlining/rewriting from the outline, and I don't know if we are doing enough. Since we are working with a sentence outline and the sentences are good to begin with, there doesn't seem to be much in the way of writing.

Edited by 1Togo