Menu

Reformed curriculum junkie (hopefully)

Jennifer

God willing, I will be homeschooling my oldest and youngest (6/7th grade and K) next fall. This is after a major homeschooling crash and burn that ended up with everyone in school in 2009.

Part of my problem was that I was always looking for the greener grass. I bought and tried everything out there. Nothing wasn't mentioned on this board that I didn't run out and buy. I spent (wasted) huge amounts of money but justified it saying that it was for my kid's educations and I could sell the stuff when I was done.

So, dh is ok with homeschooling but a little apprehensive about what I will use. He would like me to go with a packaged curriculum. I want to put my own thing together using recommendations from TWTM.

I have no real questions at this point-just wanted to let you know our plan. Wait, here's a question-does anyone use WTM exactly as written?

Thanks, and glad to be back,

Jennifer

I do follow the WTM simple suggestions for K to work on the goal of getting your child ready for 1st grade. So, for us, K is three things that don't cost much at all:

* phonics (OPGTR),

* handwriting (Zaner Bloser) and

* math games (I really like Peggy Kaye's books or Ruth Beechick's ideas on this)

I do add other things, but it's part of our family's normal routine - Bible memory, violin lessons and reading tons of books.

BTW, thought I'd share a thought from one of Ruth Beechick's books. The idea is to prayerfully consider your choices and then once made, don't look back. Go forward. Sometimes in the fall I have to stay away from this dear forum to force me to focus on what we have. My husband is frequently reminding me, "Stay the course."

I think a lot of curriculum hopping comes down to one of two things: insecurity or boredom. A boxed curriculum can take the insecurity out of piecing together your own program. The choices are already made for you; it's done.

I find this to be exactly the problem with boxed curricula.The makers of the boxed curriculum do not know my children. They do not know that, maybe, one child is grade level in language arts, but three grade levels ahead in math. That a child is bored to tears with a spiral approach because she needs to comprehensively work on a topic in order to master the concepts, before moving on to the next thing and hence will not be successful with the included math resource. That one is a minimalist who best performs if he is unschooled and the other a perfectionist who needs her work to be extremely structured.

We do not curriculum hop, because we have found resources that work for *our* kids. That required piecing together a curriculum by selecting a very specific math book, doing history/English roughly along TWTM guidelines, finding a native speaker as a private tutor for French, and utilizing a college class as the appropriate resource for science. I agree, however, that once you have chosen something that works, it is best to stop looking and reading about curricula (If it's not broken, don't try to fix it)

After looking closely at TWTM, we found that we will not be able to do it exactly the way it is written. We do not wish our children to spend quite as much time on formal academics, and we wish to use a much more rigorous math and science curriculum that laid out there. We also do not adhere to the age suggestions.

I used to be somewhat of a junkie as well. One major thing that helped me was a budget. I get X amount of money in December and it has to last the entire year. The money encompasses not only curriculum, but extra-curricular activities as well. This serves a twofold purpose. One, to keep me limited so that I cannot curriculum hop (which I am trying to be determined not to do with my dd's since I think ds was my guinea pig), and the other to keep us reined in for outside activities so we are not constantly going. I have settled on a combo of SL and MP for K, which we will begin in January.

It's easy to get caught up in the 'flavor of the month.' I am astounded at how some programs get talked up for weeks and weeks ..... then completely disappear.

My advice: pick a solid, time-proven boxed curriculum and ignore (i.e. do not even OPEN) threads about other programs. Once I started ignoring new curriculum threads, my dh and our bank account breathed a sigh of relief. Some wise person on these boards once commented that "comparison is the enemy of contentment" and I think it is never more true than when comparing homeschooling curriculum.

You could do traditional in-a-box like BJU (Christian) or Calvert (secular), or lit based in-a-box, Sonlight (Christian) or Oak Meadow (secular). All are time tested and complete. IMHO, WTM opens the door to curriculum hopping b/c you are all over the place with publishers & materials. The thinking becomes kind of "well, I can tweak this here ... and this over here .... then substitute here ...." on and on and on, because no one thing hinges on another.

I think a lot of curriculum hopping comes down to one of two things: insecurity or boredom. A boxed curriculum can take the insecurity out of piecing together your own program. The choices are already made for you; it's done. Concentrate on implementation and make it work. Boredom ... well, we are all on our own to deal with that. Spice up your lessons or your teaching when you feel boredom setting in. Curriculum boredom is sometimes the fault of the books, but most of the time a user problem ;) :grouphug: Best wishes.

I am not the OP, but thank you for posting this. I really need to hear this today.

As for the OP, you are so not alone. I really do hope all things work out for you and your family.

I have done the same things you wrote about. I am at the point of selling it all off and going with a box. Well we will be using Sonlight for a lot of our curriculum next year. All I have to do with that is add in some fun activities. No tweaking, no looking, no searching. Now when there is tweaking, looking and searching my bank account dies. My mind goes nuts and my kids don't know which way is up.

How bout picking say... Sonlight, add Classical Conversations Memory Work..... and don't look around at anything else. :) Although, if you want to ADD subjects that AREN'T there... like say.... Latin... you could do Angela in Ohio's recommendation for early years.... ( I don't think there was any curriculum to purchase for that at all...) And.... you could also use the WTM for suggestions on how to bring out certain things you like... (Like Narration) Then you wouldn't be trying new curriculum all the time :)

I don't think you need to go with a boxed curriculum in order to solve your 'problem' :D. I find boxed curriculums over-priced and far too, er, boxy for my needs.

Most boxed curriculum providers simply choose titles from various publishers, box 'em together for convenience, and add a schedule to justify the high price.

You can do the same thing without being nearly as limited as to choice and level. Your dh does have legitimate concerns, so it would be fair enough to agree that you simply want to avoid the high prices and lack of choice with boxed publishers by picking your own titles from vaious publishers. If scheduling is a concern, most titles are either have a teacher's guide with schedule available, or they are 'do one lesson and then the next.'

What you want to avoid, imo, are extremes. Just b/c you made the mistake of going to the 'eclectic extreme' doesn't mean you need to react by going to the extreme of a boxed curriculum, if that doesn't suit your style. Just agree that, whatever you select for a subject, you will use it for at least one semester. Even if it turns out to be a 'bad' choice, the kids will survive it for a semester, just like they would in public school. Also, decide on budget for the year going in. You agree not to exceed it, and dh agrees not to question every purchase made within the budget.

I would also skew my money to the middle schooler; first graders need very little in the way of curriculum!

Isn't it funny how you get so many answers to questions you didn't ask? :lol::lol:

Oh, wait, you did ask one, whether anyone uses WTM exactly as written. If you are referring to curriculum choices, I think I have seen a few people state that they do use only what is mentioned in WTM. However, keep in mind that SWB herself has said that she cannot possibly review all the new titles. You can use different titles and not be 'straying' from WTM, imo. Picking a different grammar title is not necessarily straying from WTM methodology; forgoing grammar altogether in the early years is.

It's easy to get caught up in the 'flavor of the month.' I am astounded at how some programs get talked up for weeks and weeks ..... then completely disappear.

My advice: pick a solid, time-proven boxed curriculum and ignore (i.e. do not even OPEN) threads about other programs. Once I started ignoring new curriculum threads, my dh and our bank account breathed a sigh of relief. Some wise person on these boards once commented that "comparison is the enemy of contentment" and I think it is never more true than when comparing homeschooling curriculum.

You could do traditional in-a-box like BJU (Christian) or Calvert (secular), or lit based in-a-box, Sonlight (Christian) or Oak Meadow (secular). All are time tested and complete. IMHO, WTM opens the door to curriculum hopping b/c you are all over the place with publishers & materials. The thinking becomes kind of "well, I can tweak this here ... and this over here .... then substitute here ...." on and on and on, because no one thing hinges on another.

I think a lot of curriculum hopping comes down to one of two things: insecurity or boredom. A boxed curriculum can take the insecurity out of piecing together your own program. The choices are already made for you; it's done. Concentrate on implementation and make it work. Boredom ... well, we are all on our own to deal with that. Spice up your lessons or your teaching when you feel boredom setting in. Curriculum boredom is sometimes the fault of the books, but most of the time a user problem ;) :grouphug: Best wishes.

Shari, I couldn't agree more! I am reforming, too. Thanks for your great post!

:iagree:Go with Boxed! I have spent thousands of $$ on curriculum. I am finally starting to get my footing and feel secure in my decisions but it has taken years! I would have saved countless dollars, time and energy if I would have picked something and just went with it.

Maybe you want to consider using a curriculum for your older and doing your own thing for your K. The WTM has some great ideas, however I personally think it's too much for K. I think Five In A Row is great for k-2nd and than in 3rd it's a good time to step it up some notches. So you could really enjoy having some freedom with your K child.

Also, on another thread we have been talking about WTM with Sonlight and I think they make a great combo. You could get the Sonlight Cores and very easily add WTM to it. I have been homeschooling for 9 years and have tried all sorts of things even Sonlight years before. This past year I exhausted myself so much from trying new stuff that I decided to just stick with Sonlight. It's a long time curriculum and lots of great things about it. It's not perfect, there are things I don't like about it but I figure I will just work within it's bounds. We have been doing it for about 4 months and I am running into some problems, but instead of just selling it and jumping into something else like I would normally have done I picked up the WTM book to read again and I saw how easily it will be to implement WTM ides with Sonlight. So that's what we are doing now.

I have a problem with being a curriculum jumper too so I have to set some rules up. I have to refrain from visiting alot of forums and peoples blogs on a daily basis. I now only come to the boards when I have a particular question or something I am researching. This week I have been researching some other ideas and so that's why I am here, but I am basically done with all that and now starting tomorrow I need to just do school with my son and not be looking at school blogs and visiting forums. I ALWAYS get distracted and second guess myself when I do that. The other thing I do is when I start a curriculum I give it some time before tossing it in. Sometimes I am too quick to change and we haven't really given our all to it. I also have to realize that not everything will be perfect and many times I need to just work with what I got instead of just picking it up and tossing it and starting something new. I am not going to find the perfect curriculum, even one that I piece together myself will NOT be perfect. Believe me, I have tried!! LOL Sometimes it really comes down to just being consistent and making a daily habit of doing what we have! Now that doesn't mean change is never an option, it just means I need to be more thoughtful and careful when we do make a change.

Since WTM is an inherently customized, ecclectic approach, I don't see how following the book straight on it is going to get you out of your pickle. Besides, you're coming into the age/grade (6th/7th), where it really is helpful to get some serious help via a boxed curriculum. I suggest you do the box for 80% and diverge on one thing, your fun thing. If your kids are in a private school, you can continue whatever curriculum they've been using there (Abeka, BJU, whatever), if it has been a good fit.

Since WTM is an inherently customized, ecclectic approach, I don't see how following the book straight on it is going to get you out of your pickle. Besides, you're coming into the age/grade (6th/7th), where it really is helpful to get some serious help via a boxed curriculum. I suggest you do the box for 80% and diverge on one thing, your fun thing. If your kids are in a private school, you can continue whatever curriculum they've been using there (Abeka, BJU, whatever), if it has been a good fit.

:iagree: I prefer a WTM/ CM slant, but I am relatively happy using my boxed curriculm and using it as a springboard. I teach my children, so our boxed books become out outline. I really like CLE for Math, Reading and LA and A Beka for history and science. I use the A Beka books as our spine and then flesh out with experiment books, historical fiction, biographies, videos etc. I use Veritas Press, WTM, Sonlight, Beautiful Feet and Ambleside Online for book suggestions and then use what the library has so our extra books are FREE.

If I am busy, sick or overwhelmed with work or life calls, we just use our boxed books...no harm done. We keep progressing and we can individualize what each child needs with the library.

Faithe

A reformed curriculum junkie here! :)

What has helped me stick to what I already owned, or only buy ONE program to cover the subject after researching it, is my "mantra" (LOL) of: "What Would Virginia Do".

The backstory: in talking to Virginia, a homeschooling friend with older children, she said how she used to curriculum hop all the time, and would have 3 geography programs, 2 spelling programs, etc. for every grade level. But once she realized:

a.) how hard it is on the kids to keep switching and having to learn a new program (you actually lose ground for a few weeks while making the transition) AND, b.) it's NOT the number of programs you have on the shelf that educates your child; it's you just picking one and USING it daily, she got off the curriculum carousel by realizing that many of the programs cover the same sorts of things, and often aren't even that different; what was key was to: "Just pick one, any one, but stick with it and use it daily."

So now, when tempted to see if the curriculum grass is greener elsewhere, I recite 10 times to myself: WWVD. :tongue_smilie:

God willing, I will be homeschooling my oldest and youngest (6/7th grade and K) next fall. This is after a major homeschooling crash and burn that ended up with everyone in school in 2009.

Part of my problem was that I was always looking for the greener grass. I bought and tried everything out there. Nothing wasn't mentioned on this board that I didn't run out and buy. I spent (wasted) huge amounts of money but justified it saying that it was for my kid's educations and I could sell the stuff when I was done.

So, dh is ok with homeschooling but a little apprehensive about what I will use. He would like me to go with a packaged curriculum. I want to put my own thing together using recommendations from TWTM.

I have no real questions at this point-just wanted to let you know our plan. Wait, here's a question-does anyone use WTM exactly as written?

Thanks, and glad to be back,

Jennifer

Thank you for posting this. I spent all afternoon Saturday looking at a new (to me) curriculum. I was coming here to look at it some more. But it's overpriced, and probably wouldn't fit our family. I need to just stay away from these forums and I would be able reform, too. :tongue_smilie:

I always have these thoughts and feelings and never quite know how to get them out in writing, but I'll try here. Anyway, I hated, detested box curriculum. We tried Calvert, MFW, Sonlight, and BJU (parts of this). I did not like having to follow their curriculum especially Calvert (too school in a box). They also do not allow for the child that is not a typical 3rd grader or what ever. I guess what I am saying is you can piece your own curriculum together and come up with a wonderful program for your children. As others have said, you need to make the choices and stick with them unless learning is absolutely not happening with a subject, then you can look around. Make sure you do some careful evaluating of yourself and your children. What kinds of materials do you like to work with? What kinds of learners are your children? (Check Cathy Duffy for this, 100 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum) What materials do your children seem to respond best to? Don't be afraid to use something that doesn't seem to be very popular if it will work for you and your children. For example, we use Learning Language Arts Through Literature which isn't very popular here, but I am loving it and it's working well with my dd. It is teaching the same things as the other programs , just not the same way or quite as rigorous, but the job is getting done. Do you want a classical education, Charlotte Mason type, etc. I love Charlotte Mason but can't completely follow her philosophy. I just can't get it all flowing, but I do what I can. I make sure that math and language arts get done everyday. Those are the two important areas for me. What subjects are the highest on your priority list concentrate on those subjects first when buying and schooling. We may not get through as much science or history as I would like but dd will be able to write a decent paragraph and do her math well. What will make you feel content? What will make you feel as though your year was a success? My year will be a success if dd is narrating well, moving into writing her narrations by herself, writing a good paragraph, knows her math facts without any help, and understands how to work out the math problems we have covered this year. The rest will be icing on the cake for me. It has taken me 8 years but I finally realize that there are many wonderful programs out there but you can't do them all, you can't have them all, you can only pick the best one for you and your family. Make it work for you, stick with it, something may look better and more suited to you but, consistency is more important. I hope this rambling reply helped in some way. Good luck to you!

Blessings,

Pat

Thanks for posting this, Jennifer! I love to research curricula (along with almost everyone else on this board :tongue_smilie:) and get tempted to buy the latest craze often. I needed a good reminder not to fix what isn't broken.

I have found that a combo of boxed and eclectic works for us. We start with SL (Core only) as a foundation and add on individual programs as they fit. We got settled with math and LA early on which helped tremendously. I also have a budget and a strict deal with my dh that I will either use what I buy or sell it immediately. It works for both of us and keeps me in check.

I'd been homeschooling forever and a few years back my dh stated that he wished I would just use a package program. Since I value his opinion, I gave it a try for a year.

I chose MFW. It has many of WTM elements in it. Oral and written narrations, outlining, etc. On the grid, English is blank so you could certainly use and schedule WTM recommendations. Many of the books on the WTM reading list are also on the MFW bookbasket list.

When I started this year, I compared what we would be doing each week in MFW and the recommendation in the WTM. I find that using MFW as written gives us a good base to work with even if we do not add anything else to it. I also find that if I need to flesh it out or add something for a particular child, that it does not become overwhelming and still remains do-able.

I honestly don't know if MFW would work for you. Someone else mentioned using Sonlight and adding WTM elements to it and that would certainly be a viable option. My only recommendation would be to try your DH suggestion. Find a package curriculum that has some of the WTM elements already scheduled in it but still give you some leeway in making choices that work for your children.

I did and doubt I will ever go back.

I personally, would NEVER be happy with a workbook approach, so I'd say first and foremost to really know what WILL NOT work for you, then start looking at things that WILL. Choose a solid program, no matter what you pick, STICK with it for a YEAR. Commit to that whole year, then don't look back!

This year, I've committed to SL for my little and SOTW and other WTM materials for my son. I finally feel like I have a good fit for my kids, so I am really happy with my choices for this year. Next year I am doing MFW for my littles and either SL or Guesthollow for my older (along with SOTW). I feel great about these choices also. I think I've finally come to grips with each child's learning style and what will fit the best for them.

I'd suggest doing what dh has suggested. He must have reasons to suggest this. I'm admit that I am No fan of boxed sets, but as a PP mentioned, there are several boxes that are really just shipping hubs, i.e. they box up several publishers for you and oft' times provide a schedule to follow.

Part of the outcome and real problem with curricula hopping is creating gaps, which is NOT the goal of any education, certainly not the classical one. If you spend a couple of years in 1 brand, you'll fix those gaps. Said kindly, sounds like you reread the WTM and that's your hop!

Pick something, honestly, STAY off the boards! They can breathe life and death! Set accountability standards with dh; for example,

1. I will use this program for 4 months, if it is clearly Not working, I will start to search for an alternative. I will spend 1-month search. I will not switch again for the year. Period. Have dh help you w/ some accountability.

2. Make sure your children understand you're sticking to it. I had a friend recently tell me, "The problem I created was my dc learned it they cried, I'd switch programs. You can only do that so many times before you realize they are manipulating the process b/c something gets hard." I'm not saying this is your situation, just thinking out loud on other reasons we switch and switch.

I am truly REFORMED! I have used many things in my time and created some chasmic gaps! No more. I've found our keepers and we have been moving along steadily ever since.

Before you pick anything - whether it be piecemeal or a boxed set - you need to consider several factors to guide you in your research and decisions. I started researching curriculum in April for the Kindy year that we started in Sept. I spent countless hours researching curricula - using their actual websites (many have videos, sample texts to view, etc), using various forums, using various customer views, etc. Finally the last week in August, I took the plunge and ordered my stuff for the year. I actually drove DH crazy with all my research and with my endless comparisons.

These were my most important factors.

1. A budget - How much do I really have to spend this year/semester?

2. Prioritize - What are my key subjects that I simply MUST have this year/semester? The ones I am willing to account more of the budget to if necessary? What activities/extra classes are must haves?

3. Know your child - What kind of student are they? How do they learn best? Research learning styles and figure out what kind of learner your child is - then you can try to match them up with a program that is geared towards their own learning style. I think this is more important than which of the Top Five english programs you decided to pick - maybe it is #6 on the list that is just right for your child.

4. Now it is time to research!

Pick a subject and look at the various programs/curricula that is oout there for that subject. Read the reviews, watch the demos and videos, look at the sample pages on the websites to get a feel for the program. I get a good idea of whether DS will be receptive to trying something just by looking at how the page is formatted. Make an actual Pro/Con list for each program to help you compare. Include the cost into that decision. For Kindy, Math and Reading are the "BIGGIES" IMO, so I don't mind spending a good chunk of the budget on a math program and a phonics program, but maybe not the spelling/history/science/etc programs cuz they are "extras" and really can wait. Science can just be Magic School Bus books from the Library and Nature walks.

While you are researching, look to see where you can get it for the best deal too. Some sites are cheaper than others but cost more to ship. Some bookstores and online bookstore offer teacher discounts which can save you a nice chunk. The For Sale forum is a great place to look too.

I did this and we are doing great. I have looked at a few of the more expensive packaged sets - but I don't like the scripted aspect of it. I don't like being boxed in. I like adapting things to DS's interests too. During my research I realized how he learns, and by really looking in depth at every program, I have a better understanding of what level it is - and I was able to skip alot of kindy stuff for him and just move to the next level. That saved me a ton of money vs ordering Kindy cuz that is his official grade level and realizing afterwards that it is too easy for him. I highly recommend taking advantage of the placement tests that some of the programs offer.

I have looked at individual programs that are raved about, and which look nice and like good options for us, but the price tag is way beyond what I can afford. So I search a bit more, and I usually do find some other program that is just as good, or often even better for us, and a fraction of the cost. It may not be the trendy ones, but it is working for us.

Not to say that we didn't hit a snag though. DH decided to "help" with school one evening I was working, and DS went from being excited and loving his MUS to running and hiding when I took it off the bookcase, literally overnight. I took a few days off MUS, and no luck. Still resistive, still hiding, even crying and saying that he hated math. Thanks DH :tongue_smilie: I bit it an bought a few different "affordable" math programs off the FS board (not full programs, just the workbook to "try out"). Miquon, Math Mammoth, Singapore - until we found the perfect fit (Miquon and Singapore BTW) He is now excited about doing math again. Maybe I spent $20 on stuff figuring it out - but it was better than having him hate math. Looking back, I got the MUS cuz it was simple open pages and lots of hands on activities/building. But I didn't fully recognize how much of a visual learner DS is. He needs the concrete pics and the blocks/rods/counters to complete a page in his mathbook. But he loves doing it and is having so much fun!

Also I have learned that you don't need the COMPLETE program. Maybe you dont' need the teachers manual for something. Or maybe the stuff is already included in the teachers manual and you really don't need the workbook. I also found History Odyessy and Real Science Odysessy which lets you download about half the program for free. So you can try it and see if it works or not. HO helped us round out SOTW and make it really work for us. Another big thing for me was keeping it really simple to start. Just getting the essential subjects covered, getting my feet wet. Now as my confidence is growing, our basic routine is established and working well, NOW I am looking to add more as the budget allows. Too much too soon can just be overwhelming!