Menu

Pathway Readers

They are very Mennonite-meaning, they convey their farming life, valuing children and family, very clearly. They are sweet stories about siblings, school, animals. My 6 yo noticed none of the illustrations are of people, only animals or scenes without people.

Yes? No? I was thinking of these for my dd to read over the summer? She is six.
All of my dc did really well with these. They are 'graded' readers, meaning they get increasingly harder. I loved it that even the first stories were real stories. My dc loved that they were reading about the same families of people through the series.

I bought these a few months ago for my 7 year old. She was having a hard time reading and no desire...She loves them! I cannot recommend them enough! Today she sat down with the first one to "teach" her younger brother how to read! I didn't laugh outwardly but inside my head I was smiling away!:D She has reread the ones she has completed and she has not done that with any other book! They are wonderful!

We used these when ds18 was 6, and having a hard time with a letter of the week approach used in his kindergarten (it was less the curricula they used than the setting). They are not phonetic like the Bob Books, but are like the old Dick and Jane's in that your child will benefit from some sight word practice if you use them.

I just love them. I think they are Amish, not Mennonite, as there are no people depicted (but I could be wrong). The stories are very simple, and uphold traditional Amish values of hard work, obedience to parents, and putting others before yourself.

We have the first 3, and I had dd8 read them when she was in 1st, before her big explosion into reading. I'd give her several of the words on cards, and then have her practice them. We taught phonics with PP, but I did supplement with a sight word box, so that she could read more interesting and less contrived books. She really liked them. We only read the first one, and part of the second, but I didn't sell them after she was thru, because they are so tender and sweet, I couldn't bear to part with them!

Hope you enjoy.

With our first born daughter, we tried everything to teach her to read. Nothing worked until we gave her the first Pathway Reader. I picked it up at a local bookstore. It didn't look impressive (no advanced graphical designs), but it was cheap. It lay on the bookshelf for a few months before we tried it. However, from the beginning, she loved it. Her younger sister (who started reading at four) has followed her steps and is giving her a run for her money. ;-)

If you want something phonics-based, you'll likely be disappointed. But if you want some simple readers that promote good values...these are a good buy.

My oldest liked these - with the exception of one story in one of the ??1st?? grader reader where a child steals a couple of pennies. She was, and is, extremely sensitive, so I had to read ahead, summarize the ending of that story (i.e. confessed, returned money plus some, everyone happy), before she would start reading the book again. I think they are better readers than the Abeka books because they are a continuing story (like a real book) - not just a collection of stories.

I have NO IDEA why my dd loved these, but she did. She was about 6 when she started them. I had gotten them used and put them on the shelf. A friend of hers was reading them and she just couldn't allow that. So, she picked up the first book and read the whole thing. That was the first huge jump in her reading. Before that, she was just "dabbling" in reading. We used them for until she was in 3rd grade. In 4th grade (this year) I gave her the option of just reading books of her choice for reading. I knew she had comprehension down and didn't need the workbooks to help out. She choice to read regular books, but sometimes she still mentions those Pathway Readers.

Both of my kids started off their early reading with the pre-reader and 1st grade books and are still reading them today (through 2nd and 4th grade so far). They love the stories, and I do, too----funny, touching, wholesome, without being "preachy". My 7ds has just finished the 2nd grad reader "Climbing Higher" in less than a week!

I couldn't recommend them highly enough!

the Keepers of the Faith - Christian Life Readers are excellent! They are old stories the company has searched high and low to find. My dd loves the stories.

We read the Pathway 5-7 readers and felt like we wanted to continue in the same type of reader. So after looking around, I did choose these. (She loved Pathway 5 & 6, but we both didn't care for book 7).

loved the Days Go BY but after he finished that I can't get him to even look at More Days Go By...he'd rather pick out I Can Read It Library books.

However this is going to be his summer reading, like it or not. I will expect him to finish the book over the summer, along with reading one library book per week.

it's easy and painless- and though he wouldn't choose it, he doesn't mind reading it too much and his little sister loves listening in on the stories.

But in the end, my ds prefers library books.

My son loved them at that age. They have an actual story to them unlike some of the other readers for that level. The stories are simple yet fun. And the characters are the same in each story (at least in the first grade set) He enjoyed getting to know the characters

the Keepers of the Faith - Christian Life Readers are excellent! They are old stories the company has searched high and low to find. My dd loves the stories.

We read the Pathway 5-7 readers and felt like we wanted to continue in the same type of reader. So after looking around, I did choose these. (She loved Pathway 5 & 6, but we both didn't care for book 7).

What didn't you like about book 7?