Menu

Are any of you going back to school yourself while homeschooling your children?

I will be attempting to go to college full time while homeschooling my 9 yos. This isnt my first time homeschooling, and I had great sucess with my dd but I had a 100% free schedule back then. Im not really worried ...:blink:?, I think Im mostly just fishing for some tips...if anyone has done something similar or had a full time job while hsing. (although, I will say, I hope Im being realistic here thinking I can do both :) I will be living expense free with my sister who also is a full time student and mother and can help when I have class. I just want to be as organized as possible.

Thanks for any insight.

I will be attempting to go to college full time while homeschooling my 9 yos. This isnt my first time homeschooling, and I had great sucess with my dd but I had a 100% free schedule back then. Im not really worried ...:blink:?, I think Im mostly just fishing for some tips...if anyone has done something similar or had a full time job while hsing. (although, I will say, I hope Im being realistic here thinking I can do both :) I will be living expense free with my sister who also is a full time student and mother and can help when I have class. I just want to be as organized as possible.

Thanks for any insight.

I have had part time jobs and been a full time student while homeschooling. Last year, I did both.

I haven't been in this situation with my children during ages where child care would be an issue. I worked outside the home during hours my husband was home, and/or one of my income jobs was tutoring/homeschooling additional students. In those situations, I was with my kids while working.

I've been a full time student for a year - but my kids are 15, nearly 14 and nearly 12. I'm also attending a graduate school where they can go with me and hang out in the library or one of the lounges and do their own school work (or visit their Facebook page in the computer lab ;)).

I expect my kids to take care of their personal space at home, their stuff and I usually divide out responsibility for common areas.

One of the important elements for me was teaching/retraining my kids that I have a life, a being, a core, a dimension that is not kid centered and that I am worth investing in that even while they are still minors.

I'll add that my decisions were forced or imposed on my by life circumstance.

Yes. But very slowly. One course next semester, Human Anatomy & Physiology. The goal is to make an A in the course. I am hoping I will be able to manage it. I have the last date to withdraw for a full refund firmly in mind!

ETA: This is an evening course. DH travels, but I have 3 teens. One will be taking the class with me, but that still leaves me 2 live-in babysitters. Honestly, it would have been very difficult for me to do this any sooner than this year. But if you have a reliable babysitter, you should be fine. I would just be sure your sis knows well in advance when you will need her help with childcare. You may also want to have a list for back-ups.

Edited by AuntieM

I'm actually going back to college, and I have young children. I am only taking one or two classes per semester, and they have to be evening classes (so my dh will be off of work and at home with the kids).

...One of the important elements for me was teaching/retraining my kids that I have a life, a being, a core, a dimension that is not kid centered and that I am worth investing in that even while they are still minors...

I think this is a great point, Joanne, and I've heard (seen?) you mention it before. I want my daughter especially to know that she is welcome and encouraged to seek a satisfying career in addition to, or perhaps even in exchange of, being the matron of the house some day.

All of my kids are excited and encouraging at the prospect of Mom returning to school. I feel that in the dozen years I've been hs-ing them, they have seen my willingness to sacrifice on their behalf. And while I do hope they will appreciate what I have given (and given up) for their benefit over the years, I don't think it's healthy to leave them with the thought that I martyred myself for the sake of their education.

I am all :bigear: here. I am planning on applying to a master's program in Deaf Education that would begin next summer. They do not allow part-time students, but it is all online except for the ASL requirements. I also do some contract work part-time for a non-profit, but most of that is from home as well. The kicker is that DH has started college for the first time and is in the interpreter training program at a local community college (besides working full time 50+ hours a week). His classes from this point on are pretty much all on-campus since he has already completed most of what he can do online. It ought to be interesting when we are both students. :) Oh, and my kids are still little. In about three years I either will have my masters or be crazy (or maybe both). :D

I just got my degree and I have been homeschooling the entire time. Now my oldest is only in 3rd grade, so the first couple of years were pretty easy, but the last two years were quite difficult (but doable) since I was schooling two. I took all but a few of my classes online, which really helped since it was very flexible. I kept a schedule, though, and it made a world of difference...in the mornings I would do school with the kids, and in the afternoons I would work on my schoolwork for several hours while the kids watched movies or played. The key for me was to follow the schedule and keep my focus on what I was supposed to be focused on - none of my own schoolwork and no computer time for me when I was teaching my kids.

I took classes full-time all the way through, except for a short break after I gave birth to my third child (I stopped classes a few weeks before he was born and started classes again when he was six weeks old - guess I didn't already have enough to do each day :lol:). I am sure you can do it, it sounds like you have some great support! Best of luck to you!

I am!

I'm still trying to figure it out though, so I look forward to reading the replies.

I did take all online classes through my local college this quarter. So that helps, although it means I need to spend a lot more time on the computer in the evenings when I also need to get prepared for the next day homeschooling.

Basically I just have to learn to stay up really late to get everything done that I need to...and keep repeating to myself that I WILL get a break at the end of the quarter...LOL

I'm halfway through my second semester to be a high school math and computer science (or physics... still deciding) teacher. I am going half time and summers, and it will take me a few more years. I had gone for 3 1/2 years the first time around, but I changed majors drastically, so I have a lot left.

The best tip I have is to gather information. Go on ratemyprofessor.com, ask other students about their experiences, and ask your advisor about the work load of certain classes. Make sure to balance out heavier classes with lighter ones. For the same credit hours, one professor will expect a lot of work and another little. Also, find out what your school has to support you. There are often programs to hope adults and/or women go back to school.

I am going to school fulltime and homeschooling the kids. It can be done! I also work (but in truth it is less than part-time).

I find that I use schedules more now than I have in the past. I seem to be more efficient and get more done when I take the time to plan.

My kids are in 4th and 2nd. I use a file box and put all of the day's independent work in there (files are color coded). That way we can work on the things that they do together, and then they can "get into their boxes", and I have a chance to get a bit of my work done.

Good for all of you guys!:hurray: I think it's so great that you are able to do it-and I myself love school (probably one of the reasons I love hsing-I'm learning so much, too) but I wasn't disciplined enough to keep it up.:blushing:

I think that really is key. I did on-line school for a year, and while I loved the learning, and the inter-action, I didn't budget my time well, and my dc suffered for it. For us, it would have been better if I could have done all of my schoolwork while they were in bed, but that's when I wanted to just veg out. So, I'd do some during the day, while they were bopping around, and on the weekends. And then I'd be constantly snapping at them, because they were interrupting me.

I am. I've been a full time student for three semesters and am applying to the nursing program this fall. This semester I am on campus 4 days per week. It is hectic but I really enjoy the coursework and I cannot describe how much I benefit emotionally from having something outside of my role as wife and mom that is just *me*.

I am taking classes full time - graduate degree in Ancient and Classical history. I've got 3 more classes and then my thesis. It hasn't been easy - especially because my DH is deployed 1/2 the year, but it is possible. I don't think I could go to a bricks-n-mortar school, though. Just the time in the car would be too much!

I'm considering adding an English endorsement to my teaching certificate. I would only have four classes to do, one of which is on-campus, and the rest being online through the community college, so I may pick them up one class at a time. I would have to do a local practicum, but its under 20 hours and would be easy to do in a week or two.

Dh is in the process of starting up a private counseling practice though, so I won't even think about beginning until at least January, and depending on how things go with the business, I may push that start date back even later. The endorsement is something I'd like to have done before the kids hit late elementary age, but I don't think I will need to use it before then, so for me at least there is no real rush.

Good for all of you guys!:hurray: I think it's so great that you are able to do it-and I myself love school (probably one of the reasons I love hsing-I'm learning so much, too) but I wasn't disciplined enough to keep it up.:blushing:

I think that really is key. I did on-line school for a year, and while I loved the learning, and the inter-action, I didn't budget my time well, and my dc suffered for it. For us, it would have been better if I could have done all of my schoolwork while they were in bed, but that's when I wanted to just veg out. So, I'd do some during the day, while they were bopping around, and on the weekends. And then I'd be constantly snapping at them, because they were interrupting me.

This is me. But this thread is giving me hope to try again. My DD is very high maintenance (doesn't follow directions well, sometimes just wants me to sit with her while she works - ???). I am also not good with being able to jump from one thing to another. If I was working on school and she needed me, I became totally rattled and couldn't focus on my school again. That's a personality issue.

I'm hoping as more time goes on, she will become less maintenance and I can try again.