Menu

Pie Pumkin? HELP!

Hey all.

I've never in my life made, or knew anyone who made pumpkin pie totally from scratch.

If you have a good recipe you've used, I'd be grateful if you shared.

Also, how many pies does the average pumpkin make? Anyone can the pure pumpkin? If you do, can it be done in a hot bath canner?

Reason I want to try it this year is that, by the grace of God, next year we'll have a place I can have a big garden...so I'd like to test making this from scratch now, so I can know if I want to plant pie pumpkins or not.

I'm also looking for a recipe for pumpkin cheesecake.

Thanks everyone!

I have made pumpkin pie from scratch, and the only thing I can remember is that I had to puree the pumpkin to get rid of strings. Oh, and it was soupy, so I decreased the amount of liquid. I use the recipe from Libby's canned pumpkin- it's pretty good. I double the spices, though.

Reason I want to try it this year is that, by the grace of God, next year we'll have a place I can have a big garden...so I'd like to test making this from scratch now, so I can know if I want to plant pie pumpkins or not.

Pie pumpkins are not as watery, and can be baked, put through a food mill and frozen in 2 cup aliquots, to be used in pie or soup. You can also cube it and curry it. Pumpkin sabji is about my favorite. Cubes can be cooked into a pumpkin and black bean chili that is fab.

You can make the soup savory or a little sweet. It is nice with some coconut cream or almond milk (or cow's milk) added, but don't go overboard and drown out the flavor.

Fresh pumpkin pie is better than canned, and frozen will do the trick. Take plenty of time to bake at a lowish temp, like 300. You can get it done faster at 400 but you lose some quality in the taste.

I like pumpkin waffles, too. Add some chopped pecan with it. YUM.

I used fresh pumpkin to make pie a couple of years ago. I don't remember how many it made, but here is the recipe I found online and used. I am pretty sure I cooked the pumpkin using the microwave method. That is how I do spaghetti squash as well.

Wash the exterior of the pumpkin in cool or warm water, no soap. Cut the pumpkin in half. A serrated knife and a sawing motion works best - a smooth knife is more likely to slip and hurt you!

Step 3 - Scoop out the seeds...

And scrape the insides. You want to get out that stringy, dangly stuff that coats the inside surface. I find a heavy ice cream scoop works great for this.

Step 4 - Cooking the pumpkin

There are several ways to cook the pumpkin; just choose use your preferred method. Most people have microwaves and a stove, so I'll describe both of those methods here. But others make good arguments in favor of using a pressure cooker or baking in the oven. At the end of this document, I’ve included alternative instructions to replace step 4, if you’d rather use a different method.

Method 1 - Put it in a microwaveable bowl

Remove the stem, and put the pumpkin into a microwaveable. You may need to cut the pumpkin further to make it fit. The fewer the number of pieces, the easier it will to scoop out the cooked pumpkin afterwards.

Put a couple of inches of water in the bowl, cover it, and put in the microwave.

Method 2 - Steam on the stovetop

You can also cook it on the stovetop; it takes about the same length of time in a steamer (20 to 30 minutes). I use a double pot steamer, but you could use an ordinary large pot with a steamer basket inside it!:

Method 3 - bake in the oven

I'm testing this one right now. Basically, you cut and scoop out the pumpkin as for the other methods, place it into a covered oven container, and bake at 350 F for 90 minutes or until soft.

Method 3 - Bake in the oven

You can also bake the prepared pumpkin in the oven, just like a butternut squash. This method takes the longest. Just put the prepared pumpkin in an ovenproof container (with a lid), and pop it in an 350 F (200 C) oven. It normally takes about 45 minutes to an hour and a half (it can vary a lot!); just test it periodically by sticking it with a fork to see if it is soft!

Step 5 - Cook the pumpkin until soft

Either way, cook for 15 minutes on high, check to see if it is soft, then repeat in smaller increments of time until it is soft enough to scoop the innards out. Normally it takes 20 or 30 minutes in total.

Step 6 - Scoop out the cooked pumpkin

Whether you cook the pumpkin on the stove, microwave, or even the oven, once it is cooked until it is soft, it is easy to scoop out the guts with a broad, smooth spoon, (such as a tablespoon). Use the spoon to gently lift and scoop the cooked pumpkin out of the skin. It should separate easily an in fairly large chucks, if the pumpkin is cooked enough.

Many times the skin or rind will simply lift off with your fingers (see the photo at left) . I'll bet you didn't realize making your own pumpkin glop... err, "puree" was this easy!

Note: there are many varieties of pumpkin and some make better pies that other (due to sugar content, flavor, texture and water content. Drier, sweeter, fine-grained pies; the small (8" across) ones called "pie pumpkins" are best.

Watery pumpkin?

If your pumpkin puree has standing, free water, you may want to let it sit for 30 minutes and then pour off any free water. That will help prevent you pie from being too watery! Beyond, that, I have not found that the water makes a difference - I wouldn't be TOO concerned about it!

Step 7 - Puree the pumpkin

To get a nice, smooth consistency, I use a Pillsbury hand blender. By blending it, you give the pie a smooth, satiny texture; rather than the rough graininess that is typical of cooked squashes.

A regular blender works, too (unless you made a few frozen daiquiris and drank them first..). Or a food processor or even just a hand mixer with time and patience.

With the hand blender, it just takes 2 or 3 minutes!

For the pie

1 1/2 cup fresh cooked pureed pumpkin

2 eggs

3/4 cups sugar

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp ginger

1/2 tsp cloves

Blend all of that together and add 1/2 cup evaporated milk.

Bake in a 9" unbaked pie shell at 450 deg for 15 min., then reduce to 350 deg for 45 min. Cool and top with whip cream.

ETA: Sorry the numbering of the steps is strange I only cut and paste the needed info for the pumpkin.

Edited by Mama Geek

I've used fresh pumpkin for baking (pies, cakes, muffins, breads, etc.), but it's generally kind of disappointing. It's a laborious process to bake the shell, separate the good stuff from the seeds, and then process it so it's the right consistency. It may end up being just fine; it may be watery; and it may be stringy, even if you've processed it well. And call me shallow, but I like my pumpkin orange, not yellow. :D I think the novelty of using fresh pumpkin wore off a while ago.

My understanding is that canned pumpkin puree is made from specially-bred pumpkins, and that's why they have that lovely orange color. And of course, industrial-strength food processors give it that wonderfully consistent texture.

But that's just my experience, and I don't want to discourage anyone from trying it on her own.

I

But that's just my experience, and I don't want to discourage anyone from trying it on her own.

A good pie pumpkin is not stringy, is deep orange, is very easy to cut in half and flip over, bake, let cool a bit, use a soup spoon of skim out the seeds, and mash up with a potato masher. A jackolantern pumpkin is a hug hassle, and is stringy, watery, and pale. You can let them hang in cheese cloth and use them in a zucchini bread recipe, for the penny-squeezers.

Around here you can buy pie pumpkins at the farm. They are called sugar pumpkins here, and are all about 5-8 lbs, squat and round, with thick meat, thin rinds, and fewer seeds by far.

I've used fresh pumpkin for baking (pies, cakes, muffins, breads, etc.), but it's generally kind of disappointing. It's a laborious process to bake the shell, separate the good stuff from the seeds, and then process it so it's the right consistency. It may end up being just fine; it may be watery; and it may be stringy, even if you've processed it well. And call me shallow, but I like my pumpkin orange, not yellow. :D I think the novelty of using fresh pumpkin wore off a while ago.

My understanding is that canned pumpkin puree is made from specially-bred pumpkins, and that's why they have that lovely orange color. And of course, industrial-strength food processors give it that wonderfully consistent texture.

That has been my experience with pie pumpkins as well. This year I got a great deal on sweet potatoes. I boiled them with the skin on, let them cool, peeled with my fingers, mashed with a potato masher and had "pumpkin" the exact consistency and color of canned pumpkin for about 1/4 the cost. My mom has always substituted sweet potatoes and squashes for pumpkin but I just never knew how easy it was to prepare.

A good pie pumpkin is not stringy, is deep orange, is very easy to cut in half and flip over, bake, let cool a bit, use a soup spoon of skim out the seeds, and mash up with a potato masher. A jackolantern pumpkin is a hug hassle, and is stringy, watery, and pale. You can let them hang in cheese cloth and use them in a zucchini bread recipe, for the penny-squeezers.

Around here you can buy pie pumpkins at the farm. They are called sugar pumpkins here, and are all about 5-8 lbs, squat and round, with thick meat, thin rinds, and fewer seeds by far.

I don't know if it's variety or soil conditions or what, but the pie pumpkins around here just don't turn out that way. And I've never seen a pumpkin of any kind cook up to the deep orange of canned pumpkin.

Looks like you've got the pumpkin puree down. I just freeze mine and don't mess with canning.

Here's the pie recipe I always make. It's from American Wholefoods Cuisine by Nikki and David Goldbeck. The original called for molasses, but since I can't stand molasses, I sub maple syrup.

1 9" pie crust (if you don't make your own, be sure to get the deep-dish type)

1 1/2 c fresh (or canned) pumpkin puree

1/4 tsp salt

1 c milk

2 eggs, beaten

1/2 c maple syrup (or molasses)

2 Tbs honey

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp nutmeg

1/4 tsp ginger

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Combine everything with a fork or whisk, pour into pie shell. Bake at 450 for 15 min. Reduce the heat to 350 and bake for 40 min or until set. Cool at room temp.

I don't know if it's variety or soil conditions or what, but the pie pumpkins around here just don't turn out that way. And I've never seen a pumpkin of any kind cook up to the deep orange of canned pumpkin.

It could be demand. I used to get the real McCoy pie pumpkin in rural Kansas and out here they are freely available but pricey. They know what great thing they have.

Making homemade, all-the-way-from-scratch pumpkin pies is a holiday tradition around here. My kids and relatives would be very disappointed if I didn't bake the from-the-pumpkin pies.

I just hack, scrape out, and roast sugar pumpkins in the oven until they're soft. Scrape out, puree, let drain through cheesecloth in a strainer. Then, I just follow the Joy of Cooking pumpkin pie recipe.

I've never had any of the problems other gals have mentioned here. The pies taste so fresh and flavorful that none of us like store-bought pies too much anymore.

I will say, however, that you won't save any money this way; around here the canned pumpkin costs much less than buying pie pumpkins. But, I love this tradition, so it's worth it to me.

Good luck! I bet you'll love your pies.

• 7 months later...

besides doubling the spices in the Libby's recipe I use less sugar and add a little molasses. I sometimes just pierce the pumpkin or squash and bake or Microwave it. then it's easy to cut and scoop, but if you want to bake the seeds cutting it works better. Hey do you remember when Angie's mom gave us the enormous pumpkin and we filled the oven. the pressure canner, and the microwave?

Haven't read all the replies, but cooking a pumpkin is easy as pie.;)

Get a baking pan large enough to put the pumpkin in. Lower your oven rack. Bake at 400 for about an hour. Let it cool. Cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and then remove the flesh. Puree it in a food processor or it will be stringy. I have frozen it in ziplock bags with great success. (I measure out two cups of pumpkin in each.) I decrease the liquid slightly for pies, but otherwise, use any recipe you like...or google up a fresh pumpkin pie recipe on allrecipes.com. I also use it in muffins.

We did fresh pumpkin, and it separated. I don't know what happened, but it was kinda like "pumpkin custard" pie. It was good though :) I don't care for clove in my pumpkin pies... so messing with recipes can give you one you like. Personally, I prefer Pumpkin Bread... like banana bread... Starbucks has one that I like... but homemade is better. It's really good with those big sugar crystals sprinkled on top... oh yes... with nuts :)

There have been pumpkin threads here before - might want to do a search.

A few years back I cooked my pumpkin in the crock pot. I cut them into fairly large pieces, washed them, removed seeds/strings, and put them in the pot with a wee bit of water in the bottom. (Ok, when I say "I cut them", I mean "a bunch of kids created various structures to protect them, then they were dropped two stories and most broke; I took home the pieces".) Ahem. Anyway, the crockpot method worked really well. As previous posters have mentioned, there was a *wide* variety of results from various kinds of pumpkins. Some came easily off the shell, some didn't. Some shells stayed hard, some got soft. Some was sweet, some wasn't. Some was softer, some was firmer.

OP, if your intent is to grow pumpkins, I'd read the catalogs carefully and select varieties designed for pies.

Also, as well as canning, you could make and freeze pies and muffins. Same amount of work, but you get the end product rather than an intermediate one.

I really like fresh pumpkin. I am spoiled by now, and won't use anything else. We grow our own, because we've had mixed results using the "pie pumpkins" from the grocery store. I grow "Sugar Sweet" pumpkins and they are so sweet, I can eat the pumpkin plain once it's been roasted. It is delicious.

Here's how I make pumpkin puree for pie. You can use the puree in a regular pumpkin pie recipe.

If you've got a real honest-to-goodness sugar pumpkin, you can serve it just like pureed squash (since that's what it is, really), with a little butter on top.

I use the leftover pumpkin puree to make pumpkin bread, pumpkin scones, pumpkin muffins, pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin gingerbread (to die for!) or put it in smoothies. You can freeze it. I freeze mine in quart containers. As a matter of fact, I've got some pumpkin thawing in my fridge right now, and that pumpkin gingerbread is sounding mighty good right now!

Cat