Menu

Where can I find long dresses for my 4 yr old daughter?

Is it me or do all dresses and skirts for kids now a days only go to their knees? Plus the dresses never seem to have much of a sleeve. Last year I went to every store imaginable to buy my dd dresses and i would find only one here and there. I don't want to spend 40 to 50 dollars on a dress she can only wear for a year. It doesn't help that I am 5'8 almost and her dad is 6'. So she wont be short at all. I even tried buying bigger sizes in skirts so Id get more length but she is skinny. My ex is real old fashioned and being as I buy all the clothes he wants long dresses. I know they are out there. Any ideas where I can find them?

Thanks!

Christina

DD3 loves the Gymboree, Lands End, Hanna Anderson, and LLBean cotton knit style dresses. I buy them at a local second hand store for about $6-7 each.

Most of hers are Gymboree because I can find cute leggings to go under them to make them a bit warmer in winter.

I can find regular leggings for the other dresses, but Gymboree often has ones that specifically coordinate.

ETA link to style at Lands End (Gymboree doesn't have much at their site right now).

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

My girls aren't tall, but I inherited a bunch of short (as in above the knee) skirts for my girls.

What I'm going to do is add a "flounce" of cute fabric to the bottom of the skirt to add some length. With the right fabric it looks great!

If my girls were in shorter skirts they'd be flashing everyone all day long. ;)

I'm not sure what their fall clothes look like this year, but Naartjie usually has a few longer dresses and skirts. I usually buy bigger sizes and bring the waist in with a few stitches in the back. Their dresses can be so soft, that sometimes I buy them as nightgowns (another hard thing to find for girls).

We also love Gymboree's dresses with leggings.

I have the most luck at thrift stores. This summer I decided to take some of my DD's birthday money and go buy her a brand new, from a real store dress. We went to the mall and tried JCPenny. I was actually pretty horrified by what our options were. Not one dress would I consider modest for my 5 year old--and our standards aren't even that strict.:001_huh:

So we took the money and went to Goodwill and found her 4 dresses that she loves. The only other place I've bought dresses for her is Walmart.

I also make the girls wear thick tights or leggings under their skirts because even with a dress to their ankles, they still manage to show off their bottoms in public. This past Sunday at church, DD5 had a mid-calf length dress on. When she was sitting in the front of the church for the children's sermon, she got up on her knees and leaned all the way forward so her elbows were on the floor with her butt sticking up in the air. If she hadn't had tights on, the whole church would have had a nice view of her underwear. And of course I was too far away to do anything about it. So even in summer, I'm all about tights.

When my daughter was younger, we preferred the Bonnie Jean dresses. They are usually longer which is nice when little girls don't always understand how to keep from exposing themselves. I've purchased them off of sale racks as well as Ebay and in resale shops. You might try craigslist and do a search also.

Good luck!

Tammy

When my daughter was younger, we preferred the Bonnie Jean dresses. They are usually longer which is nice when little girls don't always understand how to keep from exposing themselves. I've purchased them off of sale racks as well as Ebay and in resale shops. You might try craigslist and do a search also.

Good luck!

Tammy

:iagree: We love BJ dresses! JC Penney's sales!

If you get something cut like this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Girls-Small-5-6-GAP-Kids-Khaki-Tan-Dress-Flowers-/290481540302?pt=US_Childrens_Clothing_Girls&hash=item43a20c8cce#ht_1194wt_1141

or this

http://cgi.ebay.com/J-Khaki-Kids-Size-6X-Cotton-Dress-/170546887144?pt=US_Childrens_Clothing_Girls&hash=item27b562f9e8#ht_500wt_1156

You can just buy it 2 to 5 sizes up from her current size and wear a shirt under it, short sleeved or long sleeved depending on the season.

lol did I miss something justamouse?

oh, the sewing? If you like the long sleeved higher waisted dresses, the patterns are a great way to start sewing. they're pretty hard to mess up and the moda fabrics that are coming out are just gorgeous. French General has a line coming out with them this month.

i'm another one that loves Gymboree, too.

Be careful in the consignment stores and thrift stores--I shop there all the time, but you need to start checking for bedbugs. shake the clothes out over a sheet before you bring them into the house.

I have tall girls and I find Lands End to be the best for playdresses in this regard. I was SO disappointed with the LL Bean dresses we got last year (short, made with that unstretchy cotton that makes my DD5 scream when she gets stuck in them :glare:) that we went straight back to Lands End this year. They cover my girls knees very nicely, and even the ones we bought last year still cover the knee this year. Regular price is $25 or so, and they're always having sales and free shipping. They get a big thumbs up from me as always :D

My ex is real old fashioned and being as I buy all the clothes he wants long dresses. I know they are out there. Any ideas where I can find them?

I'd tell my xh that Land's End dresses are probably his best bet! Seriously, for divorced parents, I think it's best that the pickiest parent buy the wardrobe. Actually, I guess that rule would apply to the married parents too.

Good luck!

Tammy

Land's End are my favorite, but Bonnie Jean runs a close second. I buy them at consignment stores or at Belk's when they are on sale. Belk's regularly has them 40% off or more.

Yes, it's that time of year to change seasons and sizes. Sometimes I have found longer dresses at Kohl's, JCPenney, Belk. Bonnie Jean dresses are very nice and sometimes very long and full. Pretty! I made long Christmas skirts for my then 8 and 9 yo last year. It was easy, and no pattern. Add a little lace, buy a pretty white top, ready!