Menu

ipad or kindle?

so I hope I'm not too redundant when I say that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my iPad. That is the one I would pick.

I had a Kindle and sold it as soon as I heard the iPad was coming out. I knew I would want one. I actually waited a couple of months, but I have had it for a couple of months now, and use it every. single. day. It is just so versatile.

As far as reading, I use my iBooks and Kindle apps the most, and I just turn the light down some so the glare isn't bad. I prefer it for reading in bed because it's a soft glow versus a booklight, and doesn't bother my husband nearly as much.

I just put Netflix on it last night and am planning to try doing a movie one night this week to try that out.

I have the PDF reader on it, so I can load up the budget forms dh sends me via e-mail. I have TONS of fun apps on it, Dr. Suess books for grandson (because you can set it to read the book to you), etc.

The new software update is going to allow the multi-tasking, folders, printing, etc. I can't WAIT 'til that comes!! In fact, I am hoping to purchase one for my dd in college and my 10th grade ds by the end of the year.

That's my vote!

What do you want it for? If you're looking for a dedicated ereadrer, then I think you should go with a kindle or one of the other eink devices. But if you want something you can read on, but that does lots of other things, then get an iPad. I have both, but I rarely read on my iPad because it hurts my eyes to read on it for long, even with the brightness turned down as far as it will go.

An iPad is a lot bigger and heavier then a kindle, and the glare is much worse, although it's really not too big of a problem. It's also way more expensive, but you know that.

I think they both are good products. I just think they're two entirely different devices and can't really be compared.

And, fwiw, I love our Sony readers as much as our kindle, because it's so easy to put library books on them.

Check your reading comfort. I like the Kindle because it lets me avoid doing so much reading on an LCD screen. As much as a use a computer, this is a concern of mine. I have an iPhone and appreciate all the various functions available, but for focused immersive reading at long stretches I much prefer the unlit, real ink display.

It really is up to you, depending on your intent for the device.

I checked out the iPad in NYC last spring, before they were available in Canada. In the store, the glare was so bad, I left empty handed. I kinda regret it now, because I'd love a portable web browser (the iPad can do much more though).

I just bought the Kindle, and I'm still waiting for it to be delivered.

If you want it to *read* on, go for the Kindle. *Significantly* less eye strain than on the iPad. On the other hand, if you want something that will allow you to surf the internet and stream Netflix, then the iPad is great fun. But I couldn't read on it for hours and hours the way I can with my Kindle. Computer screens give me a headache and hurt my eyes, whereas my Kindle doesn't strain my eyes any more than a print book.

If one were to fall from the sky (which is basically what happened in our case) I would want an iPad. Not a sliver of doubt. I love the thing!

The uses are myriad, it is sleek, and fast.

But if I just needed an e-reader (and not a way-cool mobile e-mail, web, specialized app, game and video station) and the lack of color was not an issue, nor the amount of front-light required to make e-ink legible, then maybe a Kindle.

For reading outdoors the Kindle is better. In direct sun the iPad is too reflective (but great indoors and in low light). And while the iPad battery life is impressive, putting it to really heavy use (as we certainly do) requires a nightly re-changing. A Kindle would last much longer as e-ink uses less power.

Also, unless one has 3G, the iPad is dependent on a WiFi connection to maximize it's potential. Were I going to be out in the bush away from WiFi and with spotty access to electricity and I wanted to read "books" then I'd want a Kindle. Otherwise, the iPad.

The Kindle has no whiz-bang media factor, but the cost is way less. It also does far less. I'm not overly happy with the dynamic range of e-ink devices. They still look to grey on grey to me, and forget about color at this point. Hopefully this technology advances.

Where things are now? I would take the iPad in a heartbeat.

Bill (sent from iPad)

I am in the "What do you want to do with it?" camp.

I wanted an e-reader, and I had decided on the Nook when the ipad came out. Dh offered to buy me the ipad, and I was very tempted. I love gadgets, and I know I would *love the ipad. In the end...I went with the dedicated e-reader (Nook.)

The e-ink was a biggie for me, I did not want to have read on a backlit screen...at all. I am on the computer a lot, and we have a large LCD tv, I want my eyes to be able to have a break when I read.

The second reason why I went with the Nook was size. I do a lot of waiting around...picking up Dh from work, sitting at sports practices, facilitating classes at co-op, (not teaching, just being the "second adult") waiting for Dh to finish counting offering money after church... I wanted something that I can keep in my purse, so it is always available when I want to use it. The ipad is just too big (imo) for that.

I could not afford both, so I went with the device that gave me what I needed....without the "bells and whistles", instead of the "bells and whistles" device that did not have what I *needed.

At some point, I can see myself getting an ipad, but it would not replace my Nook.

On the other hand...if you want all the cool things that the ipad does, but the e-reader portion of it would not be the main use...I would totally go with the ipad :)

Also, unless one has 3G, the iPad is dependent on a WiFi connection to maximize it's potential. Were I going to be out in the bush away from WiFi and with spotty access to electricity and I wanted to read "books" then I'd want a Kindle. Otherwise, the iPad.

(sent from iPad)

:iagree: This was another reason why I went with the Nook. All the "cool" stuff that the ipad does, I would want to use away from the house. I have a computer and 3 laptops in the house, I have a 52 inch tv that streams Netflix. I don't need an ipad for my house, so it would be pointless to have an ipad without the 3G capabilities. Dh was willing to buy me the 3G ipad, but it would have been $400 MORE than the Nook...on top of the reason in my other post, I just could not justify the expense at the time.

I have a Kindle and love it. I haven't played with an iPad or even seen one up close, so I can't comment on them. I will say, though, that I love reading on the eInk screen. I don't get headaches with it like I will with a backlit screen. And the size is purse-sized, so it's nice to be able to carry it around with me. With the cover, it's about the size of a high-end paper back book.

:iagree: This was another reason why I went with the Nook. All the "cool" stuff that the ipad does, I would want to use away from the house. I have a computer and 3 laptops in the house, I have a 52 inch tv that streams Netflix. I don't need an ipad for my house, so it would be pointless to have an ipad without the 3G capabilities. Dh was willing to buy me the 3G ipad, but it would have been $400 MORE than the Nook...on top of the reason in my other post, I just could not justify the expense at the time.

I will say that for me, the iPad is a much more enjoyable internet device than a desktop or laptop. Where a laptop is portable (to a point) the iPad is truly liberating as a mobile device. The iPad does not get hot like a laptop. The batteries last far longer. The power up is instant. And it is light weight and moves with you easily wherever you want to go.

A laptop might run some heavier content creation type software (which could be a big advantage depending on ones needs) but as a mobile internet device in the home (or anywhere with WiFi) the iPad is far more pleasurable to use. Honestly.

I get that with 3 laptops and the price advantage of the nook that you may have made the rational decision (one I'd probably make the same way were I in your case) but having an iPad can spoil you pretty quickly.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

I would prefer an iPad, as it is more than just an eReader and you can still get the Kindle app for it, as well as Stanza, iBooks, etc.

Also, if you have the Kindle app and have already books downloaded to your device, you do not need wi-fi to read them. (I do this all the time with the Kindle app on my iPod touch.)

I know you didn't mention Nook, but others have recommended it to you. I just wanted to advise you NOT to get the Nook. I looked into it for ds and they don't have download capabilities overseas. We got him a Kindle and I'm thrilled with it as an e-reader. I've been salivating over the i-pad for me as I'd want all the 'extras' that it offers over just e-reading.

Did someone mention the Kindle does not have color? Only black and white if you download a children's book?

yes, it's only black and white (and shades of grey)

Honestly, the Kindle is the best device for novels. Period. (ok, not so true, there's the Nook, the Kobo, and many others. I'm restricting the discussion to iPad vs Kindle here)

If your goal is to read novels, Kindle is the best. If your goal is more variety (web browsing, games, various apps, and some reading thrown in) then go iPad.

yes, it's only black and white (and shades of grey)

Honestly, the Kindle is the best device for novels. Period. (ok, not so true, there's the Nook, the Kobo, and many others. I'm restricting the discussion to iPad vs Kindle here)

If your goal is to read novels, Kindle is the best. If your goal is more variety (web browsing, games, various apps, and some reading thrown in) then go iPad.

My goal is to use it as a teaching tool for my daughter. There are so many cute children's books out there on PDF that just won't fit on the computer screen we have so that she can see the whole page at one time. That issue makes it very difficult to read my child a book on the laptop. Also, I have been thinking things like "well, if I had a kindle or an Ipad I wouldn't have to print such and thus worksheet/map/handy helper because she could just use the screen. They can TOUCH those screens but I'm always telling her not to touch the laptop screen. AND I keep hearing everyone talk about these cute apps they use to teach all sorts of things. So that's what I'm trying to decide- my eyes do get strained on the laptop though, so I'm wondering if an antiglare cover would eliminate that problem on an Ipad. Hmmm....

There are so many cute children's books out there on PDF that just won't fit on the computer screen we have so that she can see the whole page at one time.

I have yet to find an electronic solution for those pesky PDF documents other than printing.

The iPad doesn't really have a big enough screen for most PDFs. The Kindle and other eReaders don't do a good job either. Unless I buy a big screen for the desktop computer, there's really no nice way to deal with PDF.

I've resorted to having a budget for printing them.

I have yet to find an electronic solution for those pesky PDF documents other than printing.

The iPad doesn't really have a big enough screen for most PDFs. The Kindle and other eReaders don't do a good job either. Unless I buy a big screen for the desktop computer, there's really no nice way to deal with PDF.

I've resorted to having a budget for printing them.

Have you tried Goodreader for the iPad? It allows one to "crop" the blank margins globally (and will even allow differentiated odd/even global crops).

I've found reading PDFs one of the iPads great strengths, and the features in ($.99) have been a big part of that, so I mention this app if you have not tried it.

Cheers,

Bill

I don't own an iPad. I've only played with one at the Apple Store. Out of the box, it didn't do a great job with PDF files.

The iPad is still on our list of things to buy, but it will take time. Sigh..

Oh. So you are aware iBooks added PDF support but I have not used it yet because I purchased "Goodreader" (which I think is pretty outstanding). Reading PDFs is one of the main uses I have for the iPad (behind web and email).

I have been very happy with it for this purpose given the amount of educational materials it has saved me from printing, and doubly-nice because it is full color and our printer is a b/w laser printer.

I'm finding the iPad almost ideal for PDFs. I do wish one could just drag and drop files rather than go though a "sync" process, but that is a "niggle."

Bill

I'm finding the iPad almost ideal for PDFs. Bill

Can you really see a full PDF page on the iPad screen without having to scroll all ways? When I displayed a full page, it was too small for me to read. (oh, the page in question is the European standard A4)

Here's a link to what interests me for the iPad

http://www.academie-en-ligne.fr/Ressources/5/HG05/AL5HG05TEPA0105-Sequence-01-Partie-01.pdf

(Don't worry, it's in French, just tell me if you can really read it without straining your eyes)

We have both. DH got an iPad from work and he gave me a Kindle for my birthday. Here are my thoughts:

1. I can fit the Kindle in my purse. Not an iPad (unless I changed to a really big bag.)

2. The iPad has a lot of glare, and it's rather heavy to read on. I like to read in bed, sometimes on my side, and it's just too big. I also like to read on the subway and I can hold the kindle with one hand.

3. The Kindle doesn't really do anything else except offer reading material (and a few games.) I also have an iPhone so I use it for mobile access to the internet, social media, email, and my calendar.

4. Hubby uses the iPad on his exercise bike to watch movies, listen to music, watch youtube whatever. The Kindle would be too small to read on while exercising.

5. A half- or two-thirds-size iPad would be perfect for me, except for the glare. I'd still probably prefer the Kindle for reading.

6. There are zillions of apps for the iPad, so if you're looking for an all-purpose device, that would be it. That being said, my iPhone works for me, along with the Kindle.

Hope this helps!

Have you tried Goodreader for the iPad? It allows one to "crop" the blank margins globally (and will even allow differentiated odd/even global crops).

I've found reading PDFs one of the iPads great strengths, and the features in ($.99) have been a big part of that, so I mention this app if you have not tried it.

Cheers,

Bill

Spycar, somehow you always end up coming up with the most important information, LOL: which math program is best, Ipad apps that will help my kid read free children's books... It's good to have you around.

Can you really see a full PDF page on the iPad screen without having to scroll all ways? When I displayed a full page, it was too small for me to read. (oh, the page in question is the European standard A4)

Here's a link to what interests me for the iPad

http://www.academie-en-ligne.fr/Ressources/5/HG05/AL5HG05TEPA0105-Sequence-01-Partie-01.pdf

(Don't worry, it's in French, just tell me if you can really read it without straining your eyes)

For some reason th linked file is giving the iPad fits. It crashes Safari every time I try to look and Goodreader downloads a file, but gives me a format error. Strange.

I do look at A4 docs ( the MEP math Lesson Plans are A4) and I have no problem reading them. I'm sorry I couldn't preview this file for you. Do you have another simpler file I might try?

Bill

Spycar' date=' somehow you always end up coming up with the most important information, LOL: which math program is best, Ipad apps that will help my kid read free children's books... It's good to have you around.[/quote']

Very nice of you to say :001_smile:

Bill

• 1 month later...

Bill, your PM box is full! Christmas/Anniversary/Birthday came early, so I'm now an iPad owner. :) But I've already got a PDF viewing issue, and wondered if you might have thoughts.

I'm having trouble viewing some images in PDFs, both photos and illustrations, even in GoodReader. These images appear with no problems on my PC. Have you had this problem? Figured out any work-arounds?

GoodReader's troubleshooting suggests that I may need to convert JPEG2000s into regular JPEGs. It looks trivial to do on a Mac, but unfortunately I don't have one. And I'm not sure if I can do this on a PC without buying full Acrobat....

Bill, your PM box is full! Christmas/Anniversary/Birthday came early, so I'm now an iPad owner. :) But I've already got a PDF viewing issue, and wondered if you might have thoughts.

I'm having trouble viewing some images in PDFs, both photos and illustrations, even in GoodReader. These images appear with no problems on my PC. Have you had this problem? Figured out any work-arounds?

GoodReader's troubleshooting suggests that I may need to convert JPEG2000s into regular JPEGs. It looks trivial to do on a Mac, but unfortunately I don't have one. And I'm not sure if I can do this on a PC without buying full Acrobat....

Sorry about the in box. I have not had any issues reading PDFs with Goodreader, yet. For kicks, have you tried opening the document in iBooks?

Congratulations on the iPad!

Bill