Menu

How would you have handled these situation?

From both sides:

2 of your children come running into the house and say "XX has a knife and chased XY with it yelling die XY die!"

and

You get a knock on the door and open it to find the parent of a child that lives 2 doors up. She says to you "Do you know that XX has a knife and chased XY with it yelling die XY die?"

this actually happened to us! B from down the street showed my then-8-yo a knife and told him he'd kill him. My 8 yo was with two older kids who ran to our house with 8 yo and told us. My dh went out with 8 yo and found B. It took quite a lot to get out of B where he lived, but when dh showed B his police badge, B's friend told him.

Dh talked with B's parents calmly and told them what happened. They didn't even know he had a knife!!! they took the knife right there and apologized profusely.

Later that day, B's family returned to our house and B apologized to my son. They are now friends!

Are XX and XY your children? Then I would be preparing some very serious punishment. If not, I would be contacting the parent of the child with the knife.

This scenarios happened in our neighorhood a few months ago. My children were not at home however. I was working in my front yard and the neighbor across the street was as well (*let's call her Susan). Next door to Susan lived a family with 4 boys under 13. Sometimes the mother would leave the oldest boy in charge while she ran errands. Usually there were no problems. However, on this particular day the 10 yo came outside with a child that lived one street over. Both boys had steak knives and were trying to fight with them in the front yard while screaming all sorts of obscenities. Susan took the one boy home and told his mother what was happening. While Susan did that I stayed with the other boys and waited on their mother. When she came home Susan and I told her what we both saw happen. Susan let the mom know that the next time she witnessed it she would call the police if no parents were home. The mom never left them alone again, AFAIK, and the family moved a couple of months later.

I immediately jumped up grabbed my 2 year old and stormed out the front door to his house. I knocked on the door, the mother answered and I said "do you know that XX has a knife and chased XY with it yelling die XY die?!" Her response "Oh, hang on I'll get my shoes and come get him"

I watched her walk up the street, find this boy, talk to him, and then slowly walk him home. NEVER did she apologize, have him apologize, or even seem surprised by this behavior.

DH was not home at the time and said that I was much calmer than he would have been in that situation.

There is much history with this boy and dd. He has tormented her for over a year. Calls her names, says she's stupid and fat, writes bad things about her on our driveway in chalk. He is emotionally unstable (not because of these things but other issues) and his mother (there is no father) has no idea where he is or what he's doing at any given moment.

I do know that this was her one chance though. Next time I will call the police and she can deal with them.

I am so upset about this. I shouldn't be worried for my dd's safety in our own yard.

These are too many letters for me. I'm confused LOL. The first post gives no indication of who the "X's" are. The second post says XX is your daughter (and therefore the one who did the chasing with the knife). But the last post seems to indicate that your daughter is the one who GOT chased with the knife?

Going by the latter, after reading all the posts, I'd talk to the kid myself the next time I saw him and tell him kindly but firmly that you expect him to "play nice" when he is around your daughter, and that there is to be no name calling, no writing inappropriate things about her with chalk or otherwise, and that if he ever threatens her or even pretends to use a weapon against her again, you will have to call the police instead of his mother, and that he just needs to try to get along with other kids in the neighborhood better if he doesn't want that to happen.

Well, I'd start by apologizing to the neighbor mom, and tell her my dc had just informed me of what happened. I'd make sure both kids were ok, invite her in and pull my child in for questioning (by neighbor mom and me.)

I'd find out what kind of knife this was and where she got it from (plastic, butterknife, pocketknife, etc.)

Then I'd ask lots of questions to determine what led up to the chase.

Then I'd probably look at the neighbor mom and wait to see what she was going to do~if it's her child being chased, I wouldn't blame her if she called the police.

Really, the ball's in her court.

eta:just saw the letters were mixed up, lol.

Edited by Sophia

I immediately jumped up grabbed my 2 year old and stormed out the front door to his house. I knocked on the door, the mother answered and I said "do you know that XX has a knife and chased XY with it yelling die XY die?!" Her response "Oh, hang on I'll get my shoes and come get him"

I watched her walk up the street, find this boy, talk to him, and then slowly walk him home. NEVER did she apologize, have him apologize, or even seem surprised by this behavior.

DH was not home at the time and said that I was much calmer than he would have been in that situation.

There is much history with this boy and dd. He has tormented her for over a year. Calls her names, says she's stupid and fat, writes bad things about her on our driveway in chalk. He is emotionally unstable (not because of these things but other issues) and his mother (there is no father) has no idea where he is or what he's doing at any given moment.

I do know that this was her one chance though. Next time I will call the police and she can deal with them.

I am so upset about this. I shouldn't be worried for my dd's safety in our own yard.

Is he harassing the 2 y.o.? 9y.o.? I'd file a police report now.

These are too many letters for me. I'm confused LOL. The first post gives no indication of who the "X's" are. The second post says XX is your daughter (and therefore the one who did the chasing with the knife). But the last post seems to indicate that your daughter is the one who GOT chased with the knife?

Going by the latter, after reading all the posts, I'd talk to the kid myself the next time I saw him and tell him kindly but firmly that you expect him to "play nice" when he is around your daughter, and that there is to be no name calling, no writing inappropriate things about her with chalk or otherwise, and that if he ever threatens her or even pretends to use a weapon against her again, you will have to call the police instead of his mother, and that he just needs to try to get along with other kids in the neighborhood better if he doesn't want that to happen.

Yep, but I would have this conversation with him in front of his mother.

I did not see the knife but was told by both DD and DS that this boy said it was a knife used in a war to kill people.

You need to see the knife. It could have been a plastic replica of an army knife. If so, then to call the police is an over-reaction. It could have been a real knife (anything sharper than a blunt butter knife) and then calling the police is not an over-reaction but appropriate.

The knife needs to be handed over.

The XX and XY were even more confusing because of the chromosome thingie.

I'm sorry. I'm not good at being cryptic. :lol:

I agree, I really would like to see the knife.

I am most frustrated that the mother was not even remotely apologetic and didn't seem to think it was a big deal.

I'm sorry. I'm not good at being cryptic. :lol:

I agree, I really would like to see the knife.

I am most frustrated that the mother was not even remotely apologetic and didn't seem to think it was a big deal.

I would go over and ask to see the knife. Again, if it was a plastic something then her not thinking it a big deal would be ok, right? So you don't know yet if she is under-reacting. You can't make decisions if you don't have enough data.

I would certainly call the police. By the mothers reaction, she is obviously not taking this serious. Even if this knife is plastic (though I would assume its not given the way this kid behaves) it is still going to lead up to bigger and worse things if not stopped right now. The mother is not handling it so maybe by you calling the police and showing them how serious this actually is then she will (hopefully) keep better tabs of her son. I would not take this lightly- no matter what! Call the police!