Menu

Walking Club 9/20-9/26

Good morning, Well-Trained Walkers (or not so well-trained, as is my case ;))! Here is our first official logging thread :). Be sure to check back after you've walked for the day (which ever days you've chosen to go) and let us know how far you walked.

I'm waiting for my dc to wake up so we can go. It's a beautiful crisp fall morning and temperature is a cool 50 degrees; perfect for a walk down a wooded trail. We'll be driving to our walking destination (it's about 1/2 mile from here :tongue_smilie:) because I dislike walking down our road with all the traffic and no sidewalk, but it is absolutely worth it; lovely trail through the woods along a river - it's beautiful and quiet with lots of squirrels and rabbits and birds. For those of you who just don't like walking through your own neighborhoods, finding somewhere else might be something to consider; many communities offer a trail system, parks, someone else's neighborhood, etc.

Remember - any amount of walking counts! Let us know how you do throughout the week :).

Edited by LauraGB

We walked a mere mile this morning thanks to me not realizing J's inhaler was empty. Wasn't going to risk walking anymore without his inhaler. Makes me upset because we had *two* inhalers and in the past 2wks I have had to refill both of them! How on *earth* did I let both of them run out?!

Tommrow will be better!

I guess I should edit in a date, I walk daily during the week, 5.30 - 6.30 am . . . mostly. ;)

9.20 -- I walked an hour. I don't have any idea how far, though. Also 30 min on the rowing machine this afternoon while my girl was in PE.

9.21 -- Walked an hour.

9.22 -- ditto

9.23 -- pilates

9.24 -- walked one hour.

Edited by MomOfOneFunOne

I wanna go walk on your trail w/you, Laura! it's beautiful!

It's the only reason I want to go! I'll be fine until the leaves change and fall, then I'll probably stay indoors (at the Y or something). I posted the pic in case anyone else needs inspiration to get out there; so many communities have these sorts of trails, and it's worth it to check into them. This particular one is just over 6 miles long. There is another one a few miles from here that follows another river for 25 miles. It's so much more peaceful than walking the streets around here (which I probably wouldn't commit to doing, so these trails help in that motivating capacity).

Thanks for starting this, Laura. It's very timely for me and my dd, as we have just decided that we want to start hiking so that we can join my husband on some of his mountain trips . . . And actually be able to keep up with him! ;)

I have lived in Albuquerque for 12 years next month, and I am ashamed to admit that I have never once hiked to the top of Sandia Peak (that's the mountain on the East edge of town). So that's my first goal. We are hoping to do that as a family this weekend.

This morning, dd and I hiked 2.4 miles in the arroyo near our home. We saw the usual suspects: a jackrabbit and a roadrunner. :) The weather was unseasonably warm, but not unpleasant. We had a really nice time.

9.21 - I finished my walk around an hour ago, at 8 pm. Walked for 45 minutes along the corniche, weather wasn't too bad -- around 90 Fahrenheit, 50% humidity, so getting better.

This is my first week back on schedule, I rewarded myself with some fresh-cut flowers on the way home.. trying to get away from the old food rewards, kwim?

Edited by Kate in Arabia
added date

You guys rock!

I stink.

I blew my opportunity - I've been gone since 10a, just got home, need to make dinner, and I'm exhausted. I should have gone first thing this morning.

However, after checking in here to see all of you following through and doing your wonderful work, I feel sufficiently guilty, so after dinner I will walk. I will do it. Will report back then.

(see? I need you guys :001_wub:)

Laura Must Walk!

Just for this very reason I walk in the morning. I ALWAYS have an excuse: Honestly, all those errands surely equal 10 miles. Seriously, mowing this lawn is at least 15 miles -- it was definately an hour of walking. My car to the door, door to housewares, housewares to paper goods, paper goods to movies, movies to health and beauty, h/b to . . ., 100 miles easy. I always have a good excuse. When I walk in the morning, I walk plus all that stuff and if I don't do all that stuff, I still walk.

I couldnt' do it on my own, though. I had to schedule it in and find someone to be my walking partner. I advertised through the local homeschool community and got someone who could meet in the early morning. It has worked out great. I walk in the morning. I have someone waiting for me and as much as I might like to stay in bed, I have to get up b/c she's there waiting for me. It gets done.

You can do it, Laura!

Laura Must Walk!

Just for this very reason I walk in the morning. I ALWAYS have an excuse: Honestly, all those errands surely equal 10 miles. Seriously, mowing this lawn is at least 15 miles -- it was definately an hour of walking. My car to the door, door to housewares, housewares to paper goods, paper goods to movies, movies to health and beauty, h/b to . . ., 100 miles easy. I always have a good excuse. When I walk in the morning, I walk plus all that stuff and if I don't do all that stuff, I still walk.

I couldnt' do it on my own, though. I had to schedule it in and find someone to be my walking partner. I advertised through the local homeschool community and got someone who could meet in the early morning. It has worked out great. I walk in the morning. I have someone waiting for me and as much as I might like to stay in bed, I have to get up b/c she's there waiting for me. It gets done.

You can do it, Laura!

Thank you! I needed a cheerleader today. I just got back, but I did less than I wanted to; I ended it at 1.5 miles. We walked the 'burbs nearby because it was beginning to get dark, and eventually between my black sweatshirt and my black dog, I was feeling kind of naked without a glow-in-the-dark yield sign on my back or something. (Plus I was kind of beat)

But I did do something today, and that makes me happy :).

1.5 miles isn't bad. I'm pretty sure one of the rules says we can't be too hard on ourselves. :)

Anyway, you could always pull up a YouTube video of Nancy Sinatra singing "These Boots Were Made for Walking" and dance along. Are you ready boots? Start walkin'! Da-da-da-da. Da-da-da-da.

Okee-dokey, then. I'm off to take a ride on my artificial sidewalk in my dreary basement. Woo hoo!

See ya later, ladies, and the night has not yet ended!

Walked another 1.5 miles this morning.

Did Pilates last night and honestly forgot how much I enjoyed them. Will do them again tonight after J goes to bed.

DH and I watched The Biggest Loser last night and it kicked DH in the heart-he is a big man and I didn't realize just *how* big (he doesn't look as heavy as the scale says) so when I broke down in tears and gave him a what-for, he even came with me this morning and did stair climbing as well.

I knew I was fully planning on having a glass or two of wine tonight with dinner, so I walked 2.2 miles beforehand. Not quite three miles, but way better than the big fat zero I was contemplating (been that kind of day, you see).

See how you all are? I would have done absolutely nothing these past 2 days, but I did not, and I think it's because I have to log on here everyday and post what I did (or didn't do)!

for some reason I couldn't post yesterday. I've upped my mileage a lot I don't know if I'll keep this up every week--I know I can't next week when dh is traveling.

Mon: 4.5 miles with lunges, squats and crunches

Tues: 5

Wed: 4.5 with lunges, squats and crunches

I started with daily/weekday walks a few weeks ago at 2-2.5 miles. I may be increasing mileage too fast. We'll see how it goes. Like I said when the pp started this for some truly bizarre reason I am highly motivated by the daily graphs of my walking on my ds program. I'll probably completely fall apart when the battery goes.

Good morning, Well-Trained Walkers (or not so well-trained, as is my case ;))! Here is our first official logging thread :). Be sure to check back after you've walked for the day (which ever days you've chosen to go) and let us know how far you walked.

I'm waiting for my dc to wake up so we can go. It's a beautiful crisp fall morning and temperature is a cool 50 degrees; perfect for a walk down a wooded trail. We'll be driving to our walking destination (it's about 1/2 mile from here :tongue_smilie:) because I dislike walking down our road with all the traffic and no sidewalk, but it is absolutely worth it; lovely trail through the woods along a river - it's beautiful and quiet with lots of squirrels and rabbits and birds. For those of you who just don't like walking through your own neighborhoods, finding somewhere else might be something to consider; many communities offer a trail system, parks, someone else's neighborhood, etc.

Remember - any amount of walking counts! Let us know how you do throughout the week :).

Did miles yesterday and 3 today...hoping to do 3 tomorrow as well. Thanks to this thread i got off my duff and just did it! first time in 5 months....fell out of routine when i had fall out with walking partner...now 25 lbs heavier and my fibro is back. Hoping the walking helps as much as it used to...thanks for the thread!

Faithe

Guest TheBugsMom

:thumbup: I got my walk in. So far I have walked each day this week and met my 12,500+ steps a day.

I did have some problems last night though, my legs were all twitchy and they kept waking me up. My husband said I overstimulated them. We will see tonight.

:thumbup: I got my walk in. So far I have walked each day this week and met my 12,500+ steps a day.

I did have some problems last night though, my legs were all twitchy and they kept waking me up. My husband said I overstimulated them. We will see tonight.

You know what? That happened to me, too! I woke up at 4 this morning with an odd amount of energy and never fell back to sleep. Kinda ticked me off, but here it is, almost 8p and I'm still goin' strong. I'm so new at this moving thing, too. I'm really hoping I can sleep well tonight because, my gosh, I sure do love the sleep (second only to food).

:confused: Anyone know what this is all about?

I walked 1.5 miles with the kids. Man, I wish it would cool down. It is very hard to get motivated when it is 95+ degrees outside STILL.

You are a brave woman, Daisy. Seriously. The heat and humidity kills me.

:hurray::hurray::hurray: Go Daisy! Go Daisy! (can you see me doing the boogie for you?!)

You know what? That happened to me, too! I woke up at 4 this morning with an odd amount of energy and never fell back to sleep. Kinda ticked me off, but here it is, almost 8p and I'm still goin' strong. I'm so new at this moving thing, too. I'm really hoping I can sleep well tonight because, my gosh, I sure do love the sleep (second only to food).

:confused: Anyone know what this is all about?

Weight lifting builds muscle, which increases the number of your mighty mitochondria (your body's energy factories), and aerobics (and maybe even anaerobics -- don't know for sure) makes the mitochondria efficient. So, maybe that has something to do with it? (This info is from one of Dr. Oz's books.)

Having said that, now I must mention one of my all-time favorite books: Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain by John Ratey. The book discusses the many ways exercise affects our brain -- emotions, intelligence, etc. The real-life cases are fascinating. So not only are you getting fit, you're improving your brain. Can't beat that, eh!

Anyhoo, I got out for a walk yesterday, and then walked at an incline on my dreadmill for a mile, which almost killed me.

Today is supposed to be in the 90s, but I'll try to get something in.

Keep up the good work, everyone!

I didn't post on Moday, no walking it was raining most of the day here so I cleaned the bathrooms for exercise.

Tuesday I didn't walk either was still wet from previous days rain but I did sweep and mop vigoursly

Wednesday only made one lap around the block, when did a mile become so long.

Today, I will knock out walking this afternoon woke up late and still feeling slugish.

Tomorrow I will do 2 laps and be proud of them.

Great walking week I look forward to next week. Thanks again for being here to tell me to get off my butt.:001_smile:

Didn't walk today. And no guilt - I'm sick :glare:. Fever, aches, itchy lungs and throat. Napped this aft, and I'm about to put my jammies on, brew some tea and call it a day. I'd way rather be able to walk.

But, I have been thinking. I never, ever get sick. I wonder if this is my body's way of detoxing a bit because I've been walking and stimulating everything. So, quite possibly this is a good thing :confused:.

Guest TheBugsMom

No walk for me today, cycle started. This is the one day a month I go all out on the pampering. Just lay around, nap, eat nothing but junk and chocolate (chocolate is not junk) and not feel guilty about it. Will start back walking tomorrow.

Guest TheBugsMom
Didn't walk today. And no guilt - I'm sick :glare:. Fever, aches, itchy lungs and throat. Napped this aft, and I'm about to put my jammies on, brew some tea and call it a day. I'd way rather be able to walk.

But, I have been thinking. I never, ever get sick. I wonder if this is my body's way of detoxing a bit because I've been walking and stimulating everything. So, quite possibly this is a good thing :confused:.

Everytime my husband starts a new work-out regime, he gets sick. I wonder if there is something to your theory.