Menu

Stainless steel appliances yes or no

I love mine, I do think there are differences in quality of the finish...our finish really never shows finger prints....what I don't like about them is it's hard to put kids pictures on! :) No magnetic bond...but I do like that they always look brand new...a wipe down with windex and it's perfect...I can go a week without needing to do a wipe...I guess you'd call mine brushed steel..maybe that's why it doesn't show?

But to be honest, if I were redoing a kitchen, stainless steel may be the style of the past decade, I know they have a lot of new finishes coming out....not fond of the brown ovens from the 70's making a comeback..but it's all cyclical! :)

Tara

They dent and it looks awful!

Dent?!?

Hm... I'm starting to wonder if we should list the specific make and model of the appliances we're discussing. I can't imagine what it would take to *dent* one of mine -- and none of them show finger prints particularly either. ... They do need to be wiped down on occasion, though I'm pretty sure that's universal to all appliances.

FTR, my fridge is a Liebherr, my dishwasher is a DCS (made by Fisher Paykel), and the range and hood are GE Cafe models. (I have some minor complaints about the range, but nothing to do with the finish.)

I was very concerned about fingerprints and keeping clean. We had them for three years and absolutely loved them. Dh kept them clean though. We moved, and now I have white. After the sleek stainless, the white seems very dated to me, but I can't justify replacing these. :)

Yes, I'd do stainless again in a heartbeat. But if you think you're unusually hard on appliances, or if your kids put their hands all over your fridge doors, it may be better to choose something that doesn't show marks as easily. (Oh yeah, I'm one of those odd people who has NOTHING on the fridge, it's a hard, fast rule at our house--no papers, photos, magnets, notes, nada.)

I like white. I'm an oddball these days. I like a light, bright, white kitchen. :001_smile:

Same here. I think white is timeless. Colors come and go, but white is always there.

We've never had stainless, but I have heard that you should try to get all your stainless appliances from the same manufacturer so the finish matches.

We have all stainless (fridge, stove and dishwasher) and I love it... As someone else mentioned, I did make sure we got all appliances from the same manufacturer (ours are Maytag) to ensure that the finish would match.

I was worried about the hand prints/smudging issue too before we got them, but I really haven't found it to be that bad.

One of DS7's regular "kitchen clean-up" duties is to wipe down the appliances with stainless cleaner (usually gets done once a day - after dinner) and they always look great!

Dent?!?

Ours has a small dent, and I have no idea how it got there. It's not real noticable, but it still bugs me.

I love the look of stainless, but it does seem to get dirty fast. I remember growing up the big thing was the finger print free finish on refrigerators. I'm not sure the correct name for it. So, it does seem odd that now I own something that gets dirty so easily.

I did find some great stainless steel cleaner that works wonders. I'd have to go hunt for it if anyone wants the name. It's comes in a plastic container and is similar to pop-up wipes. It does a great job! Ds had put his dirty, greasy hands on the fridge one day leaving almost his entire hand print on the door! Uuhhh! I could never get it off until I used this stuff.

I'm a white girl. Love my light, bright kitchen - it always gives my mood a lift. Our rule is to buy white for everything that is going to last for decades (fridge, toilet, sink, etc.), and dress the room up with paint and fabrics that can be switched out by season or as fads come and go. Plus I love the magnetic aspect. And I love the lower cost!

Our simple but large appliances have been very reliable - we just gave our 20 year old washer a fix that cost us $10 - we could do it ourselves as there was no fancy electronics to mess with. My friends with fancy fridges seem to get a new one every 5-7 years, because the electronics don't hold up.

(My other rule is "buy the largest you can - the kids will fill it up". This goes for appliances, sheds, etc.!)

I loved my old SS appliances. I wipe down the whole kitchen in the a.m. anyway so they were wiped down as well. I thought they showed up as much on the SS as they did on my previous black appliances so I didn't notice much of a difference. (Now I'm in a rental with grungy old white but a SS stove???)

We just re-did our kitchen this summer and went to s/s appliances from white. The finish we have is brushed stainless. The fridge does seem to show fingerprints all the time. I have 3 boys and they're constantly in and out of the fridge and freezer. It should probably be wiped down every day but I haven't worked that into my routine yet.

The dishwasher shows water marks on the outside. You know...wet hands from rinsing off the dish...opening the dishwasher door...drops of water dropping onto the door....

And I agree that they do scratch easily! I've already scratched my cooktop in two places and don't even ask about the stainless steel sink!

But even after saying all that, I still love the way they look (when they're all wiped down) and I would buy them all over again. :lol:

DO NOT MIX STAINLESS STEEL APPLIANCES WITH CHILDREN!!!!!!!

We're renting a house with ss fridge and dishwasher and I hate them. They have to be polished every. stinking. day and even when the kitchen is clean, if they aren't polished that's all you notice. I'm very glad we didn't buy ss and now we know not to.

Ours has a small dent, and I have no idea how it got there. It's not real noticable, but it still bugs me.

I love the look of stainless, but it does seem to get dirty fast. I remember growing up the big thing was the finger print free finish on refrigerators. I'm not sure the correct name for it. So, it does seem odd that now I own something that gets dirty so easily.

I did find some great stainless steel cleaner that works wonders. I'd have to go hunt for it if anyone wants the name. It's comes in a plastic container and is similar to pop-up wipes. It does a great job! Ds had put his dirty, greasy hands on the fridge one day leaving almost his entire hand print on the door! Uuhhh! I could never get it off until I used this stuff.

I'd love the name of your cleaner please. :)

I just bought all of our new appliances in SS- actually just the stove and dishwasher. The fridge and microwave are actually a painted finish to look SS- I LOVE the look. I thought about the cyclical style thing but everyone I talked to said they thought SS was here to stay because it says, "Professional kitchen."

I really like the modern look of SS in our 90+ yr old house with the craftsman style cabinets. It's cool :001_smile: