Menu

6-year-old wants more school! Help!

WarriorMama

My first grader wants MORE SCHOOL. Seriously, she's like a sponge and she's sucking me dry! I'm starting to think I've seriously planned our year inadequately.

She's ahead in all areas (much more so in things language-related like reading and writing), so I tweaked the WTM method substantially to add more challenge and extra work for first grade. Everybody keeps telling me an hour a day is more than enough at this age - we do at least 3 and she's begging for more. It's like starting school this year lit a fire under her. It's exhausting!

I have already doubled up math lessons and could probably do so with a few other subjects - but I don't really want to race through all our material. She already gets an art lesson from her dad once or twice a week, is about to start ballet and drama classes, my mother is teaching her to knit and I've been letting her do some hand-sewing. She helps me cook and does tons of independent reading on top of what I assign.

So what do I do to fill in the blanks? I'm running out of ideas. Should I have her take up an instrument? (I was planning for her to start piano next year, but I could break the budget and go earlier, perhaps). Crafts? Her fine motor skills could use a little work so maybe that would be a good plan. Creative writing?

I'm sure a lot of you know what it's like to have a kid who's insatiable. Help this poor newbie out with some ideas?

(x-posted to the accelerated board)

Instead of doubling math lessons or even tripling them, what about adding in things like the wonderful math picture books out there as read-alouds? My dd adored Sir Cumference (to the point of acting out all the books multiple times), Measuring Penny (we made our own book using our dog like the character does with hers), It's Probably Penny, Spaghetti and Meatballs For All... etc. Marilyn Burns has a series of lessons using such picture books if you feel the urge to incorporate them into lessons proper: see http://www.mathsolutions.com The series is called Math Through Literature, and there are lessons for fiction and non-fiction. Play math games that work on spatial and logic skills: ThinkFun has a set of colorful games that are sold in Barnes and Noble. Games like Mastermind, RushHour, Gobblet, and chess come in "junior" versions as well. Get a set of pattern blocks and begin a game of making patterns for each other to "solve" by continuing them. If she's interested, you could do tangrams and origami -- we found oversize paper for my dd, who had fine motor problems.

Does your dd like puzzles? Big colorful puzzles of the states are fun to use along with the book Scrambled States of America, and you can have a states tea party like they do in the book.

You don't mention science, but you could add fine motor work into the mix by using some of the teacher's guides from GEMS: http://www.lawrencehallofscience.org/GEMS We've done just about half of all the units, some with just dd and me, some with other kids at science parties, some in co-op, and they're amazingly engaging and most of all, they're real science even from the very beginning. Each guide is activity based, with a list of suggested picture and chapter books to go with them.

My dd with the fine motor delays liked Chicken Socks activity booklets, which are artsy-craftsy activities, materials and directions included, and a notch above the typical boxed kit -- at least dd never got frustrated with them and could manage most of the projects and found them wonderful fun.

Many museums and historical sites have activities for young children these days. My dd also went to a bakery tour, a tour of an old sailing ship, things like that. The best thing we did (and we did it for seven years) was a program through our local Wild Animal Park for homeschoolers. This was entirely hands-on, including over the years tours through "animal bedrooms," the nursery, and the animal hospital; feeding deer, ducks, giraffe, and hippos; crafts; "meet the animal" sessions led by trainers; observation of animals in their habitats; and the making of enrichment materials or snacks for the animals, which the keepers would then take into the habitats while the kids watched what the animals did with the food or toys.

In other words, you don't have to speed up necessarily to fill your daughter's thirst. It will still be exhausting, though.:)

We started doing three hours a day for my first grader this year and she's asking for more as well. Unfortunately, she's not interested in reading on her own too much yet, but she will write all day long.

Here's what I've done so I can get some rest. I got hundreds of inexpensive little blank books so she can write stories. Honestly, this is what she likes the most. We've added now 8 penpals so she's writing and reading penpal letters almost everyday. I got tons of coloring books, tons of puzzles and logic games. We love Rush Hour, the previous poster mentioned that. I've bought 200-300 piece puzzles for her now so they're a bit more challenging and take longer. I set up an art desk in our main room and she's got free access to colored pencils, oil pastels, and markers.

She's got free access to the iPad and uses it more than my husband and I so we'll be giving that one to her for her very own. We've loaded it up with learning games and puzzles - crosswords, coloring, logic, math, and just-for-fun games. Other times I let her loose on BrainPop and BrainPop Jr.

:bigear: for more ideas...

I'd start a foreign language; a living language if you live in an area where you routinely hear it, or Latin if not.

You could start her on music theory, learning notes, etc and perhaps a recorder or cheap keyboard if you dont' want to start formal music lessons.

Audio books.

Lots of fun notebooks and pens for writing on her own.

Games.

Challenge and puzzle books.

Field trips to the art museum, zoo, etc.

Cheap workbooks if she's the type to enjoy flying through them.

We started doing three hours a day for my first grader this year and she's asking for more as well. Unfortunately, she's not interested in reading on her own too much yet, but she will write all day long.

Here's what I've done so I can get some rest. I got hundreds of inexpensive little blank books so she can write stories. Honestly, this is what she likes the most. We've added now 8 penpals so she's writing and reading penpal letters almost everyday. I got tons of coloring books, tons of puzzles and logic games. We love Rush Hour, the previous poster mentioned that. I've bought 200-300 piece puzzles for her now so they're a bit more challenging and take longer. I set up an art desk in our main room and she's got free access to colored pencils, oil pastels, and markers.

She's got free access to the iPad and uses it more than my husband and I so we'll be giving that one to her for her very own. We've loaded it up with learning games and puzzles - crosswords, coloring, logic, math, and just-for-fun games. Other times I let her loose on BrainPop and BrainPop Jr.

:bigear: for more ideas...

I think my daughter would love to play more games, but it gets tricky because I have a toddler who wants to steal pieces, attack gameboards and so on...alas! :tongue_smilie: I make a point of playing at least one game with her when he naps, but after that I'm selfish and demand my quiet time while he sleeps (necessary for sanity, lol). Puzzles she could do on her own while he sleeps, so I may get more of those! She has her own fully-stocked art table in her room, but seems like she'd rather be doing directed activities with me...

I fall back on the Wii Fit when I'm out of ideas. She loves yoga. :D

Sounds like your daughter has quite a lot of correspondence to keep up with as it is, but if she's ever looking for another penpal send me a PM!

Thanks for the suggestions! It's kind of nice knowing someone else is in the same boat, too. :001_smile:

I'd start a foreign language; a living language if you live in an area where you routinely hear it, or Latin if not.

You could start her on music theory, learning notes, etc and perhaps a recorder or cheap keyboard if you dont' want to start formal music lessons.

Audio books.

Lots of fun notebooks and pens for writing on her own.

Games.

Challenge and puzzle books.

Field trips to the art museum, zoo, etc.

Cheap workbooks if she's the type to enjoy flying through them.

We're in Canada so we're doing French. I've just been introducing basic vocabulary and such, trying to keep it simple, but maybe I should get an actual curriculum and kick it up a notch. Thanks for the suggestions!

Well, I'm going against the grain here :) Since she didn't start her activities yet, I'd wait to see how she is once she starts those. The physical may balance out the mental and tire her out some. She is going to be using her mind for both things. Until then, maybe do something she likes for fun (like art/craft, or an outdoor thing?). Just going outside to engage her to play would be good.

Or, you might want to hop on over to the advanced board and see what they have to say.

I didn't read all of the suggestions, but I have a dd like this. Things that work well for her are crafts that she can do on her own. I usually pick up craft books from the library that go with our studies or with a near holiday. Also, an easy origami book was good once. I did have to help her out in the beginning with that, but she was able to do some on her own. She likes children's magazines from the library that have simple craft and activity ideas too.

Magic trick books. Some people don't do magic, but if you do, mine has loved learning tricks.

Learning an instrument, yes! Good idea. I bought mine a recorder and a recorder lesson book. I got the set at Barnes and Noble, but have since seen the same set at Target. She completely taught herself everything in the book, one lesson at a time. Now she can read music and is teaching herself piano, and can play all kinds of other songs on the recorder that weren't in the book. This has worked well for us, since piano lessons are not in the budget yet.

:lurk5: I have one of "those" too and she's been asking for "harder school". :bigear: I like reading all these great ideas! Thanks!

I made "activity drawers" for my big girl. Kind of like workboxes but not filled with our "curriculum" stuff. Extra stuff like Patternable puzzles, cut and paste stuff, books, craft projects, "fun" workbook stuff, coloring, etc.

One thing I added to fill time (and this is exhausting) is A LOT of reading aloud. We are going through (right now):

-Bible stories/devotionals

-Sonlight P3/4 book list

-Peak with Books booklist

-the 20 books she takes out at the library (every 2-3 weeks)

-math story books, science readers

-Magic School Bus books (chapter, picture)

We read in 30 minute sessions.

I have not read any other suggestions- but why dont you let her chose a topic and do lapbooks? Say she wants to learn about electricity, do a lapbook all about it. Read a biography on Benjamin Franklin, do experiments- make it fun!

Or if she wants to learn about horses- do a horse lapbook. If she wants to learn about health and safety do a lapbook (or 2) for that! Lapbooks are awesome! (They are my new toy LOL)

I didn't read all of the suggestions, but I have a dd like this. Things that work well for her are crafts that she can do on her own. I usually pick up craft books from the library that go with our studies or with a near holiday. Also, an easy origami book was good once. I did have to help her out in the beginning with that, but she was able to do some on her own. She likes children's magazines from the library that have simple craft and activity ideas too.

Magic trick books. Some people don't do magic, but if you do, mine has loved learning tricks.

Learning an instrument, yes! Good idea. I bought mine a recorder and a recorder lesson book. I got the set at Barnes and Noble, but have since seen the same set at Target. She completely taught herself everything in the book, one lesson at a time. Now she can read music and is teaching herself piano, and can play all kinds of other songs on the recorder that weren't in the book. This has worked well for us, since piano lessons are not in the budget yet.

I like the recorder idea! Sounds simple and would keep her busy without me trying to figure out a way to afford piano lessons right now. And the magic tricks, she would LOVE that. Thanks!

:lurk5: I have one of "those" too and she's been asking for "harder school". :bigear: I like reading all these great ideas! Thanks!

I made "activity drawers" for my big girl. Kind of like workboxes but not filled with our "curriculum" stuff. Extra stuff like Patternable puzzles, cut and paste stuff, books, craft projects, "fun" workbook stuff, coloring, etc.

One thing I added to fill time (and this is exhausting) is A LOT of reading aloud. We are going through (right now):

-Bible stories/devotionals

-Sonlight P3/4 book list

-Peak with Books booklist

-the 20 books she takes out at the library (every 2-3 weeks)

-math story books, science readers

-Magic School Bus books (chapter, picture)

We read in 30 minute sessions.

I think I should look through my cupboards and see what other 'activity' stuff I have around. She has full access to art supplies and educational games/activities, but she wants me to TELL her what to do. It's certainly stretching my creativity...

I have not read any other suggestions- but why dont you let her chose a topic and do lapbooks? Say she wants to learn about electricity, do a lapbook all about it. Read a biography on Benjamin Franklin, do experiments- make it fun!

Or if she wants to learn about horses- do a horse lapbook. If she wants to learn about health and safety do a lapbook (or 2) for that! Lapbooks are awesome! (They are my new toy LOL)

I'd never really considered lapbooks, but she'd probably think that was tons of fun! Thanks!

My 1st grader is this way too. Is it a 1st grade girl thing? I just don't have time or energy to solely direct her so:

~library craft books

~a huge rubbermaid tub of craft things

~recorder

~online educational games

~she adores jigsaw puzzles so we have a big supply

~she likes to clean, so I let her, a toilet brush and clorox wipes and she's happy for half an hour :001_huh:

~I've put her in charge of afternoon snack, she's quite inventive

~wii in reasonable amounts

~I demand an hour of outdoor time from the kids, aside from playing with her bro and sis she picks flowers and makes chains, rides her bike in circles, draws with chalk, swings, screams, cooks with weeds and sweeps the porch (cleaning again?:001_huh:)

If you have a toddler in the house (I do too), is it possible that asking for more school is a way to hold on to more of your attention? I know that I have a tendency to drop everything and focus on my daughter if she wants to do math or go to the museum to see the mummies, but am much less likely to do that if she wants me to play Polly Pockets or something. So asking for more school can be her way of saying "More Mom, please."

I wonder if she'd be just as happy to have you carve out half an hour of "Mom and daughter playtime" - maybe after Dad comes home to be with the toddler.

My 1st grader is this way too. Is it a 1st grade girl thing? I just don't have time or energy to solely direct her so:

~library craft books

~a huge rubbermaid tub of craft things

~recorder

~online educational games

~she adores jigsaw puzzles so we have a big supply

~she likes to clean, so I let her, a toilet brush and clorox wipes and she's happy for half an hour :001_huh:

~I've put her in charge of afternoon snack, she's quite inventive

~wii in reasonable amounts

~I demand an hour of outdoor time from the kids, aside from playing with her bro and sis she picks flowers and makes chains, rides her bike in circles, draws with chalk, swings, screams, cooks with weeds and sweeps the porch (cleaning again?:001_huh:)

Mine likes to clean too. :confused: I'm trying to come up with more things for her to do in that respect. Maybe it is a first grade girl thing!

If you have a toddler in the house (I do too), is it possible that asking for more school is a way to hold on to more of your attention? I know that I have a tendency to drop everything and focus on my daughter if she wants to do math or go to the museum to see the mummies, but am much less likely to do that if she wants me to play Polly Pockets or something. So asking for more school can be her way of saying "More Mom, please."

I wonder if she'd be just as happy to have you carve out half an hour of "Mom and daughter playtime" - maybe after Dad comes home to be with the toddler.

TOTALLY possible, and it didn't even occur to me. :tongue_smilie:

My toddler is extremely active (that's putting it nicely) and time consuming, and I have to admit that I'm not the 'playing' sort of mom. I'll spend a lot of time on educational type things, but a request to play stuffed animals is not likely to be successful. ;)

I think it's important for children to have some time that they are creative on their own. She can learn to amuse herself in interesting ways. Throw out some suggestions but let her decide and carry on. Tell her to play for an hour and then she can help with dinner or whatever. Learning to occupy herself now will hold her in good stead as she gets older. SWB has always promoted the rest time in your room, alone, for an hour or two. Some families have kids on the bed and only read, others let them play quietly and listen to audio books. This worked well for us for many years. It gives everyone some space. :D

Some dc are like this. You may wish to visit the AL forum as well, since there are some dc like this as well. You may need to go through more than one grade this year until she gets to where she needs to be. Just because an hour a day is enough for many 6 yo's doesn't mean that it's the case for all 6 yo's.

She does need time to be creative on her own, but be sure not to squelch her love to get a lot done while she's excited about it. Some dc, like my 12 yo, will only do this for a while and then decide that they prefer to play than to do 2 or more grades per year, but a few will need to do 2 grades a year for several years or for their entire schooling (a very few will go even faster.) As long as it's your dc pushing to go that fast I think it's a good idea to let them go at their own speed.

I think it's important for children to have some time that they are creative on their own. She can learn to amuse herself in interesting ways. Throw out some suggestions but let her decide and carry on. Tell her to play for an hour and then she can help with dinner or whatever. Learning to occupy herself now will hold her in good stead as she gets older. SWB has always promoted the rest time in your room, alone, for an hour or two. Some families have kids on the bed and only read, others let them play quietly and listen to audio books. This worked well for us for many years. It gives everyone some space. :D

:iagree:

Some dc are like this. You may wish to visit the AL forum as well, since there are some dc like this as well. You may need to go through more than one grade this year until she gets to where she needs to be. Just because an hour a day is enough for many 6 yo's doesn't mean that it's the case for all 6 yo's.

She does need time to be creative on her own, but be sure not to squelch her love to get a lot done while she's excited about it. Some dc, like my 12 yo, will only do this for a while and then decide that they prefer to play than to do 2 or more grades per year, but a few will need to do 2 grades a year for several years or for their entire schooling (a very few will go even faster.) As long as it's your dc pushing to go that fast I think it's a good idea to let them go at their own speed.

:iagree: with it all especially the bolded stuff!

Edited by MissKNG

Thanks! We're so new to this and I feel so uncertain about just going with the flow sometimes. It's nice to have the reassurance that it's a good idea to let her set her own pace!

:lurk5:

When one of my friends asked DD in August if she had started school yet, her response was "No, mom won't let us" She is very upset if we have a light school day. Her brother on the other hand want to know who signed him up for this school thing.

:lol: Sounds familiar. I made Fridays a 'light' day (thinking, foolishly, that the first four days were pretty 'heavy' school-wise, but she doesn't agree...), and she's not impressed at all!

• 3 weeks later...

:bigear:

I'm loving all of the great ideas in this thread!

And may I say, I'm glad that I'm not the only one with this problem. My DD just turned 5 and it seems like her favorite words are "more school.":001_huh:

I'll agree that it is exhausting. We all need to get together for a cyber cup of coffee!

My dd is 8 and STILL begs for more! She wants to learn about everything every day all.day.long!!! She can ask 800 questions an hour (and remember almost every answer you give her).

Honestly, she exhausts me (where is the fall down dead smiley) but I wouldn't have it any other way.

OTOH, my 16yo ds was totally opposite at that age. He would have played outside from dawn to dark if I would have let him (and sometimes I did ;) ). His idea of learning was to find out why bugs couldn't fly without wings, if carpet caught fire faster with matches or a lighter (PTL he outgrew that stage), and how much mud would fit into the mailbox. :tongue_smilie:

I asked dd her reason for wanting to learn more. She said she wants to know everything because her brain is empty. She asked me, "How am I supposed to learn anything if I don't ask questions?" :001_huh:

DD uses a quote from Dennis the Menace when asked why she always asks questions (she changes the age though):

Mr Wilson "How come you ask so many questions?"

Dennis "I've only been around for 5 years. There's a lot of stuff I don't know."

Cindy

Starr said

I think it's important for children to have some time that they are creative on their own. She can learn to amuse herself in interesting ways. Throw out some suggestions but let her decide and carry on. Tell her to play for an hour and then she can help with dinner or whatever. Learning to occupy herself now will hold her in good stead as she gets older. SWB has always promoted the rest time in your room, alone, for an hour or two. Some families have kids on the bed and only read, others let them play quietly and listen to audio books. This worked well for us for many years. It gives everyone some space.

:iagree:

You might check out some things she can do independently--TOPS Lentil Science is a good one.

Maybe she can learn to work beside you, too--sometimes just having a little company makes it easier to be independent, tho I do agree kids need to play alone sometimes.

A few thoughts:

1) the work may not be the appropriate level. It may help to raise the level rather than doing more. However, I'm not at all against acceleration linearly. All kids are individuals and should be treated as such. Just know that many times, kids learn in spurts, so she might do two grade levels in 4 months and then take a year to be ready to do it again (or whatever).

2) What *I* did with my daughter was to give her things she could do herself (like workbook pages and computer programs and such). I made folder games (using high school level material). I gave her books galore. I encouraged obsession (at 5, she read EVERY book on dinosaurs the library had more than once, made her own "folder games," told everyone who would listen more than they ever needed to know).

Honestly, at one point, I told my daughter that *I* was not doing school past a certain time daily.

3) It is good that you're thinking of ways to broaden her education. That is wise. Languages, instruments, math games, hands on activities, challenges, etc are great!

4) But sometimes, kids need to learn to entertain themselves. I wrote papers that I sent to my uncle about topics of interest. I taught my stuffed animals. I made up games with neighbors. But in the end, *I* was responsible for entertaining myself AND my own education outside of school and afterschooling.

My daughter was like this, too (and still is at 8 years old now). I ended up letting her piece together a twin-size quilt. I had pre-cut leftover squares sitting around, and she hand-pieced about half of the quilt, and then I taught her to use the sewing machine. It took her a full year, from the time she turned six until she turned seven, and she needed lots of help lining everything up, but it was quite an accomplishment and kept her busy and out of the way.

Fortunately, I had a teenager who could help her when I wasn't available.

We also made lots of trips to the library. I let her work through her curriculum until we caught up to where she actually had to work at it--sort of. She is still very enthusiastic about school, but because she is now challenged, she is more content (most of the time) to do just one day's assignments each day.

Because of her enthusiasm, I started her on piano lessons even though I usually make my kids wait until they are about eight years old. In just two years, she has caught up to her less-than-enthusiastic twelve-year-old brother. She just soars and teaches herself so much. I love it!

I also searched for curriculum that would allow her to teach herself. She loves Growing With Grammar and Writing Strands because she generally doesn't have to wait for me to teach her. I just have to be sure to stay up-to-date on grading in case she really goofs and doesn't quite "get it." She can usually figure out Singapore Math, though I try to watch her more carefully there. Horizons was good earlier, and I've looked at Math Mammoth because the instructions and teaching materials are there where she can read it herself.

I have also been fortunate that she has older siblings who are more than willing to play math "games" with her for drill on math facts. It doesn't hurt that big brother needs the practice more than she does! I have also had her help tutor her younger brother by doing flashcard drills, games, and such.

Lately, she has been sewing clothes for her dolls.

Best wishes finding ways to help your daughter stay busy.

+ instrument study (LOVE Suzuki method, esp. for under 9 yo. . .)

+ foreign language (Rosetta Stone would allow unlimited independent effort. . . )

+ art (artistic pursuits + then having materials handy for indpendent practice!)

+ Add Miquon math if she's not beyond it. She can do it alongside/independently of any other math and do it as much as she wishes, choosing her own pages. . .

+ Montessorri style learning materials for hands-on independent explorations