Menu

What grade is your dc in, and what level of MEP are you using?

HappyGrace

Ds7 is going into second grade but I have to put him in MEP 2 since that's where they start to cover multiplication. He likes it a lot and can easily do two lessons per day though so I'm thinking it would be good to catch him up that way, since in the files on the website it looks like MEP2 is for 1st grade.

So anyway, that made me wonder if others have their dc in the level of MEP that corresponds with their grade or are they doing it the way MEP says (3rd graders doing MEP4, etc)?

Okay, I went and checked-under files section, misc. files, there is a chart of all the years, and they have US second graders, age 7-8, doing MEP year 3 because in England, the 1st graders (age 5-7) are doing MEP yr 1 and the 2nd graders (age 6-8) are doing MEP year 3.

It does say over and over in the files section to read and put your dc into the level they need because it is very advanced according to US standards. And to bear in mind that a child completing through MEP year 6 would be equivalent to a 14 yr old in England.

All this is why I wondered what levels people on here have their dc in!

Guest aquiverfull

I'm using the Reception year as a supplement to RS A for my 4 and 5 year olds. I plan to use some of the Year 1 as well.

They are considered Pre-k and K.

Edited by aquiverfull

I have not gone through a whole year but have found that yr 1 does not cover our state standards but teaches COMPLETELY different things and in completely different ways than Saxon 1 (what we used for 1st) so it is still challenging (not all of it but enough to be beneficial, imo).

My daughter is an older Kindergartner and has gotten through the first 40 or so lessons in MEP 1a. Much as I love MEP, we're currently taking a break from it to work with Math Mammoth (Addition 1 from the blue series, will probably also do Subtraction 1). She was getting really frustrated with many of the puzzles, and didn't want me to work with her to solve them, so I decided to move sideways into a different program for a while.

MEP year 1 aligns well with the published first grade standards for my state in terms of the math facts studied, but requires more sophisticated reasoning and problem-solving.

However, advanced students here skip grade 1 math and go directly from K math to grade 2 math. So I'd say MEP year 1 straddles K and 1st grade math in my school district, depending on whether your child is an advanced math student or an average math student.

My 1st (6.5yo) will be in Year 1, and my 3rd (8yo) is going into year 3. The teacher's manual often includes advanced thinking questions (the dreaded "why") that stump my older son. I really like MEP, and we school math year round, so they will be ahead of grade level at some point. I like to go easy when they are young and still learning to be a student.

I imagine my youngest son, who is allergic to sitting still, will be on grade level (Year 1 in 1st) like his brothers. My daughter ... who knows? If she wanted math in K I'd not hesitate to start MEP year 1, but slowly.

I haven't used reception level yet. I may next year when my son is 5.

Amy

My dd is in kindergarten. She will turn 6 in November and will start Primary 1 in January. We have been doing MM 1a and some SM on a regular basis this year.

I recently added in MEP for the puzzle/problem solving practice. We finished Y1a lesson 9 last week. MEP does not exactly line up with MoE standards; it does not introduce multiplication and division in Y1. Then again, SM Y1 excludes the > and < symbols and MEP introduced it in lesson 7!

I am impressed with MEP and plan to continue using it as a supplement.

So anyway, that made me wonder if others have their dc in the level of MEP that corresponds with their grade or are they doing it the way MEP says (3rd graders doing MEP4, etc)?

I think in any educational environment, having a child work on the level they are able to understand is the appropriate path. Who cares what it says on the paper? Y1 could be said to just be the first level of MEP, anyway, rather than "1st grade." And I don't think Y1 corresponds with K, despite being on numbers < 20; the concepts require some thought. I think Reception is a really nice level that more people should consider using!

(In Singapore [the country], they don't use > and < at all until after year 6 with their new standards, from what I understood from Handbook for Primary Mathematics Teachers .)

Edited by stripe

DD the Younger is 6 and she's about 2/3 of the way through Y1.

I think in any educational environment, having a child work on the level they are able to understand is the appropriate path. Who cares what it says on the paper? Y1 could be said to just be the first level of MEP, anyway, rather than "1st grade." And I don't think Y1 corresponds with K, despite being on numbers < 20; the concepts require some thought. I think Reception is a really nice level that more people should consider using!
And after Y6 students will have covered at least as much as after Singapore 6, and at that point strong students can continue straight to algebra.

(Emphasis in the above quote is mine.)

I agree with this, and it is how we are approaching the use of MEP. We are moving slowly through it, though more on pace lately, I'd say. I do read about some people saying some of the puzzles were hard or that they skipped over some of the lessons in the teacher's guide. To me, and this is JMHO, that is where the real gold lies in the program. I see little lights going on all the time lately, and I think that is from allowing the time for the lessons to *sink in*. We're not blazing through it. More than anything I feel that we are laying a very firm foundation, and that is my goal. I can't compare our way of using MEP with how others do so. It just works for us, and that is what is great about homeschooling.

I don't mean any of this as an attack on anyone else, and I understand that the OP just wants to see an approximation of where children are placed by age in this program. I am simply posting to say that we are using it as it best works for us.

Guest aquiverfull
Reception is ages 4-5 and year 1 is ages 5-6.

Laura

Thanks Laura,

After reading all the responses here, I looked more closely at Year 1. I printed the first 4 pages yesterday and both my girls worked through them. My 5 year old had no trouble, it was pretty easy for her. However, my 4 year old had a little trouble with a few things. She's also struggling in RS A. I'll have to take things more slowly with her. They both like MEP though and wanted to keep going, they are big worksheet fans!