Menu

My 4 year old will only eat oatmeal!

1st keep in mind I am not a mother, a nutritionist, or anyone with any kind of education or experience that could really help you out, but here goes.

Why not let her eat oatmeal for a while? People live their whole lives in 3rd world countries with poor nutrition, so even if she keeps up an oatmeal diet for a few days or weeks, will she really harm her health?

At the same time, be sure to serve some of her (formerly) favorite foods, but since she is only eating oatmeal (her choice), don't let her have any. At some point she will give up oatmeal only and things will be back to normal.

(Please don't scold me, it's just an idea)

1st keep in mind I am not a mother, a nutritionist, or anyone with any kind of education or experience that could really help you out, but here goes.

Why not let her eat oatmeal for a while? People live their whole lives in 3rd world countries with poor nutrition, so even if she keeps up an oatmeal diet for a few days or weeks, will she really harm her health?

At the same time, be sure to serve some of her (formerly) favorite foods, but since she is only eating oatmeal (her choice), don't let her have any. At some point she will give up oatmeal only and things will be back to normal.

(Please don't scold me, it's just an idea)

Thanks! I am usually pretty relaxed about these things but it has been going on for about a month. Normally these phases last a couple of weeks at the most and then he (Sorry, I should have mentioned somewhere that he is a boy) moves on to something else.

Thanks for your thoughts, its reassuring that its not an immediate concern to anyone else hearing about it. I just keep having these panic moments. We give him vitamins daily so I guess I can stop worrying. :)

I used to be VERY strict about food and my dc always had to eat what I put in front of them.

I am a little more relaxed nowadays! :chillpill: but I'm not sure about only eating oatmeal!! However it could be a lot worse.. and besides.. I would think he will get pretty fed up of it after a while!! :D

My ds loves oatmeal, but lucky for me he eats other things as well. I do a lot of different variations for him. He only loves the old fashioned oatmeal. I make it with milk (protein) and fruit. Sometimes I add yogurt after it is cooked. I always use honey, sometimes I add nuts or ground flaxseed. I have come up with at least 10 different variations for him. I have added even peanut butter and jelly to oatmeal (per his request).

Definitely no reason to worry, you can make oatmeal very nutritious.

Is he really eating nothing but oatmeal? Nothing else at all? What is he drinking?

Honestly, I'd be worried about scurvy if he's not getting any vitamin C from anywhere. It's probably rare to get scurvy these days, but I'm sure it does happen occasionally.

Hrmm, never thought of that. He does drink chocolate milk and fruit juice quite often and we give him the daily gummy vitamins so I think he should be getting some vitamin C. Its mostly the protein I worry about I never even thought to make his oatmeal with milk, I dont know why but we have always just made it with water (thanks for that tip MagnaSky!).

Hedgehog, I think you're right, he has to get sick of it eventually, right?

By the way, will he eat something else if accompanied by oatmeal?

And does he really eat only oatmeal, three meals a day? (That's what Frances does with bread and jam in that book, that's why I suggested it.)

Yes, three meals a day plus the odd bowl of oatmeal as a snack.

We have tried holding out on him and then he doesn't eat anything. We have tried making him have a bite of whatever dinner the rest of us are having and he has one bite and then is "done". We have tried letting him decide whats for dinner and offered any kind of takeout he wants. He just wants oatmeal, that's it. :/

We haven't tried mixing other things in with it yet (he likes a little honey or brown sugar in it usually) I am going to try mixing fruit into his oatmeal tomorrow morning to see if he will be ok with that.

Wow, he really is a fan. I have a sort of similarly devoted child, so I sympathize. I hope it's not constipating.

If he's feeling adventurous, you know, there are some savory soups (stews?) that feature oatmeal.

http://www.thearmeniankitchen.com/2010/01/harissa-herriseh-keshkeg-it-all-means.html

http://arabicbites.blogspot.com/2009/09/chicken-oats-soup.html

I cook oatmeal with 1/2 water and 1/2 milk and it's really much nicer tasting (in my opinion) and obviously would have more calories and the nutrition from milk if you made it that way.

Well, I can tell you my 14 year old, at about that same age, did the same thing. We even call him Wyatt Lee Oatmeal to this day because of it! BTW, Oatmeal is not his real name, LOL.

Now, he won't eat oatmeal at all. They tend to grow out of it after a while. It could be much worse but I feel your pain.

My middle daughter lived on cereal (hot and cold), milk, and fruit for almost 18 months when she was 2-3. I worried a little bit, but her pediatrician told me she would grow out of, and she finally got over it, and she is a great eater now. She is a healthy 7 year old now who will eat (almost) anything. :001_smile:

Wow, he really is a fan. I have a sort of similarly devoted child, so I sympathize. I hope it's not constipating.

If he's feeling adventurous, you know, there are some savory soups (stews?) that feature oatmeal.

http://www.thearmeniankitchen.com/2010/01/harissa-herriseh-keshkeg-it-all-means.html

http://arabicbites.blogspot.com/2009/09/chicken-oats-soup.html

I cook oatmeal with 1/2 water and 1/2 milk and it's really much nicer tasting (in my opinion) and obviously would have more calories and the nutrition from milk if you made it that way.

Yum! Both of those meals sound really good. That Armenian style stew will be a great one to try for dinner tomorrow night and I almost have all the ingredients too. That never happens to me, I think its a sign. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks for the suggestions! :001_smile:

Well, I can tell you my 14 year old, at about that same age, did the same thing. We even call him Wyatt Lee Oatmeal to this day because of it! BTW, Oatmeal is not his real name, LOL.

Now, he won't eat oatmeal at all. They tend to grow out of it after a while. It could be much worse but I feel your pain.

Hahaha!:lol::lol:

Thanks, you're right, it could be Twinkies or something! :ack2:

Wow! I'm feeling like the mean mother here... I don't cater to kids' food obsessions and whims. I make three meals plus one snack a day, and that is what is for that meal. If kids like it, great; if not, then there will be another meal or snack coming up. I do try to make sure that each meal has something that my picky ds will eat, but I will not just serve toast and oatmeal (his favorites) over and over again, meal after meal. I subscribe to Ellyn Satter's theory that it is my job as the parent to provide nutritious meals at regular times, and it is the children's job to decide how much to eat of the foods offered.

I've found that at different ages, my picky ds's appetite and pickiness would change. Age 4 was probably about the peak of pickiness, but I felt very strongly that I needed to keep exposing him to a varied diet so that he would grow up eating a wider variety of foods.

Whatever you do, good luck! It can be awfully frustrating!

I subscribe to Ellyn Satter's theory that it is my job as the parent to provide nutritious meals at regular times, and it is the children's job to decide how much to eat of the foods offered.

I tend to agree, but some child would rather starve, literally, so it doesn't always work out.

It take OVER A MONTH for a healthy child to starve to death, and that is with no food at all. With oatmeal, he can probably survive for a year, if not indefinitely.

Seriously, no child will voluntarily starve himself long enough to damage his health, unless there are major medical/psychological issues extending far beyond food fads / fussiness. I would offer plenty of healthy and tasty food options, and perhaps include the oatmeal once per day. Make sure your child is getting plenty of water (and some milk if your family drinks it), give him a multivitamin supplement if you're seriously concerned about malnutrition, and wait until he gets over this stage.

(Of course, if you decide to buy 100lb of oats wholesale, that will ensure the he immediately stops liking that and only wants bananas and spinach for the next month.)

Edited by Hotdrink

I tend to agree, but some child would rather starve, literally, so it doesn't always work out.

My parents always assurred us the kids would not starve and would eat when hungry. I'm another that doesn't caters. If they don't like what's served, then they don't eat until the next meal. I don't think I'd mind so much with oatmeal breakfast or even lunch, but when it comes to dinner, we all eat the same things.

What would happen if you ran out of oatmeal and very sweetly told him that?

I know there are kids that wouldn't eat anything else, and would starve themselves. Do you think that would happen?

I do think he would starve himself, he didn't eat anything for a couple of days when I tried to hold out on him before.

I would mix in some unflavored whey protien powder. Instant protien. Does he like peanut butter? I like the occasional peanut butter oatmeal.

Another way to sneak protein into the oatmeal is to beat an egg and add it in. Obviously cook it well after it's added. He may not even notice. :)

These are great suggestions' date=' thanks!

My middle daughter lived on cereal (hot and cold), milk, and fruit for almost 18 months when she was 2-3. I worried a little bit, but her pediatrician told me she would grow out of, and she finally got over it, and she is a great eater now. She is a healthy 7 year old now who will eat (almost) anything. :001_smile:

Thanks, I am glad to know that its not just us.

Wow! I'm feeling like the mean mother here... I don't cater to kids' food obsessions and whims. I make three meals plus one snack a day, and that is what is for that meal. If kids like it, great; if not, then there will be another meal or snack coming up. I do try to make sure that each meal has something that my picky ds will eat, but I will not just serve toast and oatmeal (his favorites) over and over again, meal after meal. I subscribe to Ellyn Satter's theory that it is my job as the parent to provide nutritious meals at regular times, and it is the children's job to decide how much to eat of the foods offered.

I've found that at different ages, my picky ds's appetite and pickiness would change. Age 4 was probably about the peak of pickiness, but I felt very strongly that I needed to keep exposing him to a varied diet so that he would grow up eating a wider variety of foods.

Whatever you do, good luck! It can be awfully frustrating!

If I don't let him have oatmeal, he doesn't eat at all. I typically don't make different meals for all my kids, I have always said "if you don't want the meal we cooked for you, then have cereal". While it has always worked really well with the older two, it has backfired on me with the little one. :/

I just wanted to add that you have to pick your battles. Some will say that eating various nutritious meals is a worthy cause, but it's not one I'm going to fight. I refuse to fight my kids about foods. If they wanted ice cream for every meal, that would be a big fat no, but this isn't the case with the op's son. I think fighting food battles with kids can lead to some dangerous habits. We also have a strict rule in our house about threatening, punishing, or rewarding with food. We also have a one bite rule. You must try one bite of anything new, and if you truly don't like it, then fine, you're off the hook. And then you can make yourself, guess what, some oatmeal, lol. There are actually very few things they don't like. My kids are great eaters, and with the exception of Emma's cereal and fruit phase I shared about, they have always been great eaters. They eat their veggies, fruits, meats, dairy, whole grains, and, yes, an occasional happy meal. :D

Undoubtedly, someone will accuse me of saying they are causing their child to have food issues, and I'm not doing that at all. I think most of you know me enough by now to know that I'm not a mean, accusatory, or judgmental person. Just trying to offer another perspective, and let you know it will be okay. Hang in there mom!

I used to make oatmeal and put peanut butter (or another nut butter) in it when my kids were toddlers. It is tasty and that would provide a bit of another food group.

I haven't read all the replies, but it would make me crazy to let my child eat only one food for more than a day or two (no flames, please), so I would require him or her to eat one fruit/veggie and one type of protein of the child's choice along with oatmeal.

In the current Rachael Ray magazine on page 98, there's a blurb for fixing oatmeal in savory rather than sweet ways. Make it with chicken broth, for example, and add bacon or pieces of chicken, and top with cheese and a fried egg.

She has several examples along those lines--I tried the above, and it was quite fabulous. Just another idea of how to add protein/nutrients.

HTH. :)

Eh, I'd let him eat oatmeal, twice a day. Maybe a snack. I probably wouldn't make him oatmeal for dinner. But, hey, oatmeal is nutritious. I'd give him a daily vitamin and have him drink milk and juice. Maybe try to make it with various things...fruit, flax seed, milk, maybe egg, nuts.....

I might even teach him to make it himself. :D

(Of course, if you decide to buy 100lb of oats wholesale, that will ensure the he immediately stops liking that and only wants bananas and spinach for the next month.)

:lol::lol::lol:

Is there any medical reason that he is on an oatmeal kick?

I'm just thinking of pregnant moms that crave bananas and later learn that their potassium has been low,

or the infant that nurses ALL THE TIME....but as a teenager learns she is hypoglycemic and the doctor tells her that she needs to eat several small meals a day rather than 3 big ones

or infant/toddlers (6-24months) that don't show a lot of interest in solid food, and only want breastmilk....and then it is learned that they have severe food allergies (and every month that they stay on breastmilk and avoid solid food helps their immune system to figure itself out so the little one can grow out of it).

You may never know the reason...but he may just need this for now. If he's going to pick one food, you could do worse than oatmeal.

It take OVER A MONTH for a healthy child to starve to death, and that is with no food at all. With oatmeal, he can probably survive for a year, if not indefinitely.

Seriously, no child will voluntarily starve himself long enough to damage his health, unless there are major medical/psychological issues extending far beyond food fads / fussiness.

With all due respect, one's child doesn't have to die or permanently damage his/her health in order for a parent to be concerned about the consequences of not eating.

I too wonder what's going on that someone would want to eat that much oatmeal. These suggestions on Ask Dr Sears seem helpful. I sometimes have found it exciting for my kids to shop for or grow, help prepare foods, although it's not a sure fire technique, it would at least built an awareness of other foods. I think it's good he will take a bite of other foods, even if he doesn't eat much.