Menu

American Girl Retiring Felicity & Elizabeth

Can you believe it? This is the 3rd year in a row they've retired one of the historical dolls and in that time they've only introduced one new one. I'm NOT happy. DD just got Felicity this summer and I was hoping to have years to buy her outfits & accessories :mad: She has such a great story too & is the only doll from anywhere near that time period.

What a bummer. I think Samantha's one of the others that has retired? I remember my little sister telling me about that. Samantha was "my" doll, lol. I was going to have Felicity be my dd's - she looks so much like her. Bummer.

Yeah, they retired Samantha 2 years ago & Kirsten at the end of last year. I can sew clothing, but I was hoping they would keep all of her accessories & issue more. We actually have 2 Felicity dolls, but I'll be selling one sometime soon (I won an auction lot that had several retired outfits & a couple of accessories after DD got her doll & figured I could sell the doll & still have a killer deal on the outfits). I was really, really hoping they would get more of the tea sets in stock & I'm disappointed that I won't be able to get that for her. I'm not willing to pay the inflated prices the tea sets are going for on e-bay right now!!!!! Guess we're going for a knock-off ;)

I'm thrilled with the Rebecca doll they came out with last year. She was the only doll DD ever showed interest in & she shares my daughter's heritage. I wish they would come out with more historical dolls though. They should only retire one if they have another one waiting in the wings.

Dd15 has Felicity and Elizabeth, a bed, table and chairs, the horses, a gazillion outfits (some I sewed), the tea set and several other accessories. She really wanted the carriage from years back. The dolls now live in dd10's room, with her Molly, but I catch both girls playing together every once in a while :)

Can you believe it? This is the 3rd year in a row they've retired one of the historical dolls and in that time they've only introduced one new one. I'm NOT happy. DD just got Felicity this summer and I was hoping to have years to buy her outfits & accessories :mad: She has such a great story too & is the only doll from anywhere near that time period.

It is an interesting shift in focus. As I remember the story Pleasant Rowland wanted to create a book and doll linkup that would attract girls to history at a stage where they were still into dolls. As I look at the AG website it seems like so much of the emphasis is on the modern, which makes the dolls just another doll in my mind. There is no linkage to the books or to the history. I don't see what makes the AG dolls that unique now except for a level of detail with the accessories (and that is detailing that you used to have in the Muffy the Bear series).

I also find that the dolls that have been eliminated seem to skew the emphasis of the historical collection toward the modern.

I guess I'm glad that I still have patterns for historical outfits from Vogue and Simplicity from years ago. I only have sons, but perhaps I'll end up as the aunt who sews.

We got a letter in the mail today with the news. I think it really stinks. I am so glad that my oldest has both Felicity and Elizabeth, all their clothes, and most of their accessories. We have bought it a little at a time over the last 5 or 6 years. My middle has Samantha and Nellie and most of their clothes. Samantha and Nellie were my favorites.

It is very disappointing. For me, the historical dolls and books are what set American Girl apart from every other doll manufacturer out there.

I sent them an email relaying my disappointment. I just don't understand this move.

I do hope there are other dolls in the planning stages.

I got a response from customer service just a little while ago. They said they were sorry that I felt they were shifting their focus to the more modern dolls (ummmm....maybe because they ARE!) and they feel the historical dolls are fundamental to the AG line (then quit retiring them!). They went on to say that in order to produce a good historical doll that they need 3 years of development (then if you ARE going to retire dolls how about doing it every 3 years when you issue a new one?) and then went into details about when Samantha, Kirsten, and Felicity were issued and how they are still "alive" in the archives and their stories can still be read. Yeah that's fantastic, but what about people who have the dolls and can no longer buy the outfits and accessories? As far as how long they've been around, so what? There is a whole new generation of little girls who are just starting to experience these dolls or haven't yet experienced them, and now they can't other than through the stories. I always wanted Samantha, and figured if I had a little girl that was the doll I would buy her. By the time my DD got into these dolls she was already archived :tongue_smilie:

I think more people should write to customer service and express their displeasure. Maybe if they hear from enough people they'll get their heads out of their butts and stop retiring all these dolls. I accessed customer service on their website. I will say they were prompt -- I heard back the same day & I honestly wasn't even expecting to hear back from them.

Can I say how unimpressed I am with AG since Mattel bought them out? I'd be willing to bet that Kirsten, Samantha, and Felicity were better sellers than the ethnic dolls (Addie, Josefina, Kaya, and now Rebecca) but you don't see the latter being discontinued. :glare:

As much as I adore Rebecca, you are probably right. I thought Samantha and Felicity were two of their most popular dolls. I never had one of these growing up, and DD's are new, but I have heard from many people that the pre-Mattel dolls were much higher quality.

Actually, they were about to retire Felicity a couple of years ago. Then they brought her back. I guess too many people complained. Felicity was one of my favorites as a kid. She's also the oldest time period wise.

I own Samantha, who was retired. My doll is in pretty good condition so she'll probably end up being collectible at some point, heh. Sadly, they don't display the retired historic dolls at the AG stores, but they do display the "Girls of the Year."

I thought it was interesting that they retired Samantha (a rich white girl) and introduced..Rebecca?...- the Russian Jewish immigrant. I kind of wondered if that was purposeful or just how they decided to do it.

When AG retired Samantha and Nellie a sales person told me that the company planned to bring them back in a few years, but who knows if this was just a rumor. This is the second time that they retired Felicity and my girls are really disappointed. It just feels like a marketing ploy.

Lesley

I wonder if the goal is more to replace the *stories* than the dolls per se. Kirsten's story had a whole lotta death in it, if I remember correctly, which is probably historically accurate but perhaps doesn't hold so much mass market appeal.

Don't forget Mattel's experience with Barbie - there are *zillions* of Barbies, and collectors are never "done" in the way they can be now (to some extent) with AG (via eBay, etc.). The more different dolls Mattel puts out, the more they can sustain the sales, because folks can't get the current stuff second hand, if you see what I mean.

Actually, they were about to retire Felicity a couple of years ago. Then they brought her back. I guess too many people complained. Felicity was one of my favorites as a kid. She's also the oldest time period wise.

I own Samantha, who was retired. My doll is in pretty good condition so she'll probably end up being collectible at some point, heh. Sadly, they don't display the retired historic dolls at the AG stores, but they do display the "Girls of the Year."

I thought it was interesting that they retired Samantha (a rich white girl) and introduced..Rebecca?...- the Russian Jewish immigrant. I kind of wondered if that was purposeful or just how they decided to do it.

I had no idea they tried to retire Felicity a couple years ago. That was before DD was old enough to be interested, I guess. Maybe they revived her partly because of the movie?

I see your point with retiring Samantha/introducing Rebecca. I LOVE Rebecca though & so does DD. Of course DH IS a Russian Jewish immigrant, so it's DH & DD's culture :D I always thought Samantha was so beautiful though. Like I said, way back before DD was into dolls (and before they introduced Rebecca who was a no-brainer for us when we chose a doll) Samantha would have been my doll of choice for her.

We have 9 AG dolls. 2 Felicitys, Kirsten, Samantha, Molly, Kit, Kaya, Marisol and 2 modern dolls. Plus all of their stuff (at least for the historical dolls). And, I mean ALL of it. Yes, my dd was the only granddaughter on BOTH sides and my MIL had 3 boys. :lol: Anyway, we have been collecting AG since 1987 (before I was even married my MIL was buying me them...she had all this pent up desire to buy girl things she could finally unleash). I will say that the pre-Mattel dolls and accessories are of a MUCH higher quality than the ones they have available now. They have retired so many different accessories, clothes and other items that they used to have. They were so much more historically oriented in previous years. I LOVED the AG Historical Club and Kits that they promptly discontinued when Mattel took over. And, yes, they DID retire Felicity once before. They brought her back after about 3 years. No explaination at all. As the pp said, "They sold out." Of course, if I were Pleasant Rowland, I probably would have taken the $795 million, too.

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 children for 16 years