Menu

Ds "hates" to read. However,

He gave me enough info today to make me realize that he doesn't really "hate to read" - he just hates to read fiction. He likes to read non fiction. Actually "likes" it - as in, it's not a painful, tedious punishment. And if I were a more...accepting mother...I would have appreciated this from his library choices.

So, now that I understand a little more, I am left wondering how to proceed.

A) I'm kind of torn. Is it due to comprehension issues that he doesn't want to read fiction? Is it an imagination issue? Or is it okay that the poor kid just doesn't dig it?

B) Will it be a detriment to assign only non-fiction and not study fiction as he gets older?

Am I missing something here? If so, what?

I love stories. So I'm trying to overlook my personal opinion during this child's education - he obviously sees things differently than I do. I'm willing to assign more non-fiction, especially if he understands it and (bonus points!) if it moves him. But do I do it in lieu of all fiction?

Do you have a child like this? What have you done? If not, what would you do? I want to respect what motivates him rather than make him do stuff that otherwise "wastes his time" because he either doesn't understand or care about things not real.

I have a dh like this. The man reads tons of non-fic but is spotty in his appreciation of fiction (kinda depressing since he's married to a wannabe novelist :lol:)

With my dh, he does have certain novels he likes : the Hornblower books :D; Master & Commander series & similar. He also really enjoys some sci fi - like Larry Niven for instance.

If it's about battles, wars, conflict & is intelligent, he's on it. Otherwise, meh.

Lately he's been staying up late at night with the DK Visual History of Flight. He reads The Economist cover to cover each week. But he does not make much time for novels in his life.

I don't think everyone needs to enjoy lots of fiction, but I also think that for everyone, there is some fiction that they will like. You may need to be more creative about seeking out the kind of fiction you ds will enjoy. It may not be the classics on the lists, kwim? It may be historical fiction, or speculative sci-fi or technological thrillers..... I do think there is something to be said for exercising imagination, but I'd also allow a reader like this to replace many novels with non-fiction books.

My brother was like that too, as a kid. He was given three little books on alternative energy sources for Christmas when he was about nine and read them, and nothing but them, over and over for the next three years. Now he will read fiction in certain genres.

Could you try your son with travel writing? That area has expanded a lot. There are people travel writing their way through cookery, a search for a particular coloured pigment, all sorts of weird things. The narrative tone makes them seem like a cross between fiction and non-fiction, and as they are housed in the non-fiction section of the library, he might be ok with them.

Rosie

This is not uncommon among boys. I think there's really a bias in some circles against counting reading non-fiction as "real" reading, which is just absurd. It's literally not counted in some major surveys of reading. I say, sure, it's important to read some fiction - just like fiction lovers should learn to read and at least try to appreciate non-fiction. But don't push it on him constantly as the only reading and give him lots of excellent non-fiction to read - there is so much more quality non-fiction being put out there for young readers than there was even a few years ago - especially being marketed to kids instead of just to the school and library market.

For example, now there are many young readers' versions of popular adult nonfiction titles - like the big, illustrated young readers' version of Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything or the young reader's edition of The Omnivore's Dilemna. Plus there are just more good nonfiction books being written for the YA market, like Charles and Emma. Anyway, I'm just trying to say there's lots of great nonfiction out there for kids now.

In library school, we discussed how this is not uncommon with boys. Thus if you have a reluctant reader, try non-fiction--lots of boys prefer "real stuff."

So no, don't worry! There's tons of great non-fiction out there these days for kids, it's improved immeasurably in the past 20 years.

And to tell the truth, I mostly prefer non-fiction myself these days. With all that history and science out there, I have little time for fiction...

Well, I am a girl and I prefer nonfiction over fiction any day. I always have. Some fiction however is very important. Our language and other books allude to the classical stories on a regular basis. By classical I mean everything from Greek myths to fiction such as A Christmas Carol, Dracula, and such. A well read student really needs to study those at some point in their schooling since even nonfiction (and the evening news) will sometimes make comparisons using those. In fact just tonight a local news cast compared a man to Dr. Jekyl/Mr. Hyde and I had to explain that to my son. But after that, I see no reason to avoid non-fiction or to limit it.

Sigh. I have one like this as well. Now, ds basically taught himself to read at 3. He reads everything, when he good and darn well feels like it. I've tried and tried to get him to read good fiction books. The guy just prefers non-fiction. Give that kid an encyclopedia and he will drool over it for days. Assign him a novel? Might as well try moving a mountain. I have slowly come to the realization that he really likes facts. The fiction he does enjoy (he is currently re-reading "The Read Pyramid") deal somewhat in facts. (Apparently he considers mythology factual.) I figure, he's just 7. He is reading. He does learn things from what he reads. We have plenty of time left to expose him to great works of fiction. Right now, it is important for him to practice his skills on topics which interest him.

This is my oldest, about the same age too. We had to get through it by him realizing there were just some books he HAD to read. When he was in PS, they had to read from different genres and I picked his books. Funny, how he liked them. Then he discovered Percy Jackson. This was another that "mom made me read." But, once he got into he LOVED it and couldn't stop. He's since realized that maybe fiction is ok. Are there particular non-fiction books that he likes that you might be able to find some fiction for? Mythology really opened a lot of doors for us. He has also become addicted to audio books--not sure why, but he'll listen to the same book, over and over. As far as the classics go, we started with some easier versions that we got for his younger brother. Those really worked. He read 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, War of the Worlds. Once hr found that there were books with his non-fiction interests, he was happier. Historical fiction has worked well too.

I would much prefer to read non-fiction than fiction.

DH mostly reads fiction, as he reads a lot of technical stuff for work and needs an escape.

DS... So far, he only reads non-fiction. Right now he is reading three books - an adult book on how to train your cat, a physics book on roller coaster designs and a book of garden quotes. So he's reading a nice assortment. Just not so traditional.

I fall into the camp of, "Well, he's are reading and it isn't 'twaddle,' so I'm happy..."

When ds17 was at his K-8 school, he NEVER checked out a fiction book. I spent a lot of time with the school librarian as I volunteered weekly for years. She said not to worry, at least he was reading! He did read some fiction at home, Harry Potter books, Lord of the Rings and the like.

He still prefers non-fiction to fiction. In fact, the only fiction he reads during the school year are the books assigned for his AP classes.

Thanks, everyone. I guess I need to change around the whole "classical education" a bit for him, though. But maybe not. I'll need to do my research wisely and think hard about the books I'll assign. Hmmm...classical non fiction...I suppose that stays in keeping with source materials. Lots to think about. But you all have made me feel a bit better about not ruining the kid's education :). (honestly, I think my drama is more about me than anything else. How sad is that? Nevermind, don't answer that ;))

For example, now there are many young readers' versions of popular adult nonfiction titles - like the big, illustrated young readers' version of Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything or the young reader's edition of The Omnivore's Dilemna. Plus there are just more good nonfiction books being written for the YA market, like Charles and Emma. Anyway, I'm just trying to say there's lots of great nonfiction out there for kids now.

He read The Omnivore's Dilemma and enjoyed it - we had tons of great conversations about that one. Charles and Emma looks interesting, too. Maybe it won't be so hard to find good books with great stories afterall.

Well, I am a girl and I prefer nonfiction over fiction any day. I always have. Some fiction however is very important. Our language and other books allude to the classical stories on a regular basis. By classical I mean everything from Greek myths to fiction such as A Christmas Carol, Dracula, and such. A well read student really needs to study those at some point in their schooling since even nonfiction (and the evening news) will sometimes make comparisons using those. In fact just tonight a local news cast compared a man to Dr. Jekyl/Mr. Hyde and I had to explain that to my son. But after that, I see no reason to avoid non-fiction or to limit it.

:iagree: