Menu

Anyone ever hear of a Wacky Cake?

I was going through my mom's recipe box a couple of week's ago and came across a recipe that I remember her making when I was a kid (long time ago). Anyhoo, it is now my favorite chocolate cake recipe and thought I would share. Oh, and there is absolutely NOTHING healthy about it.:tongue_smilie:

3 cups flour

2 cups sugar

1/2 cup cocoa

2 tsp. baking soda

1 tsp. salt

2 tsp. vinegar

2 tsp. vanilla

2/3 cup canola oil

2 cups cold water

Mix all dry ingredients. Add in liquids and mix well. (We just mix it with a whisk by hand) Pour into a a greased and floured 9x13 pan or two 8 or 9 inch round pans (for layer cake). Bake at 350 for about 25-30 minutes. Start checking the center with a toothpick or knife at about 25 minutes. Cool, frost and enjoy.

This makes really good cupcakes too because it is super moist and dense. It won't fall apart when you breath heavy on it. (I hate those kinds of cake.)

I love this cake. We called it wacky cake growing up and my mom's family swore it was a secret family recipe. My mom was disappointed when my brother was able to find the recipe online:001_smile:

It is an awesome chocolate cake. It's so moist and dark. We ate ours warm out of the oven with a smack of cool whip on top.

I've used it for cupcakes and cut out cakes. It's moist but so dense and sturdy.

we call it Crazy Cake.. you can make it with a non dairy pudding option too.. so cool.. you put the pudding ingredients on top, cover with water and bake.. it sinks to the bottom.. so you have chocolate cake on top and gooey pudding on the bottom.

It's quite rich this way.. too rich for me but the kids LOVE it

Oooo. That looks good!

Ahhh, hubby's ex made us one, once. She called it a "vegan cake" and it was hubby's mother's recipe. I'm betting vegans were considered durned wacky back in the 40s! Hubby recalls a sister holding him by his hair and trying to force a drumstick in his mouth, circa 1970, she was in such a panic his bones would turn to mush.

Here is how you add the pudding option

Make the cake in the pan as directed.

for a 9x 13 pan

In a bowl, combine:

1/2 c sugar

1/2 c brown sugar

1/3 c cocoa

Sprinkle over the top of the crazy cake and over this carefully pour 2 c of BOILING water

Transfer to over, carefully! and bake at 350 for 35-40 min

Allow to cool before serving. It's a very sweet pudding. Be exact on the water amount or slightly scant.. more will make it runny

This, without the pudding, is my Go To cake for when I'm making Wilton shape cakes for the kids.. I will do all the mixing in a bowl and then pour it into the heavily greased/floured shape pans.. it pops out just fine and always tastes great.

My second GO TO cake is one with a baked in coconut cream cheese filling.. another old recipe from my grandma. :)

Edited by ChantyD3

Pardon, what is wacky or crazy about it??

Thanks! I was wondering that, too. It looks pretty normal.

It reminds of those girls in high school who were always running around saying how wild & crazy they were...and I'd think, "Uh, no. The wild and crazy girls are either too hung over to run around or skipping school. Go to Geometry."