Menu

Weird medical question: I swear there is something dangling in my throat!

So I just got back from making a quick trip to the quick med type dr's office. Last night I got a sudden and severe sore throat. I feels exactly like strep throat which I had often (every year) as a child and maybe about every 8 years since.

However, in the middle of the night my throat hurt SO bad but I woke up with this strange inability to stop swallowing aggressively and repeatedly. It was completely reflexive and I couldn't stop. I took a couple of Motrin because I just couldn't take how badly my throat was hurting while I was also doing this swallowing.

Now, I've woken up this morning with something sliding up and down in my throat gagging me if I even try to whisper. **gross content** When I try to talk this piece of something will slide up my throat and onto the very back of my tongue and make me gag over and over. Even when I'm not talking I'm mildly fighting the urge to gag.

What in the world!?

The dr's office offered to do a strep test and give me an antibiotic but they aren't going to touch this thing in my throat. They recommended I go to the ER. He didn't even look at it. He was very nice but said "No, we can't do anything about what that might be. Go to the ER." I don't want to go to the ER. What is this? Have you ever heard of it?

Did I say I really don't want to go to the ER? I can't talk or swallow without gagging. Also, I'm starving! LOL

Tonsil stones don't make you swallow like that, and they mostly feel like a piece of popcorn stuck in the back of your throat.

OP: Have you used a flashlight to look at your throat and see what's there? What did you see?

P.S.: why don't you want to go to the ER?

Jessica - my tonsils were once so swollen, that one of them split from top to bottom and hung down my throat, exactly as you describe. It had to be cut off. You may have the same thing and its sort of hiding behind and to the side of your tounge. This was way back in the 60's and the doctore actually DID take care of it.

Let us know.

Tonsil stones don't make you swallow like that, and they mostly feel like a piece of popcorn stuck in the back of your throat.

Actually, when my tonsils are full they do feel like that, complete with the reflexive swallowing and feeling of something sliding up and down in my throat as I swallow. However, I don't get the pain she is describing.

So, after a dr visit and now over 4 hours in the ER turns it is an infection in my throat it turns out to be uvulitis. Now I get a shot here in a moment (!!), steroids to take home and an antibiotic. I know everyone does but I HATE shots!!!! I feel like a baby knowing they are about to come in with that cursed thing. Ugh! Well at least now I know what it is.

Thank goodness you are getting it taken care and it really isn't something super serious. I'm the one that imagines all kinds of horrible things. Especially after your regular doc said he couldn't do anything about it.(I still find that kind of strange)

Anyway...:grouphug: for the shot. I'd come hold your hand if I could.

Don't you hate it when a doctor says, "Oh yeah, there is definitely something wrong but I can't tell you what it is or even give you a clue as to what I think it might be." That is just ever so helpful. Anyhow, glad to hear that you got it figured out and treated and are hopefully well on your way to feeling better.

Don't you hate it when a doctor says, "Oh yeah, there is definitely something wrong but I can't tell you what it is or even give you a clue as to what I think it might be." That is just ever so helpful. Anyhow, glad to hear that you got it figured out and treated and are hopefully well on your way to feeling better.

Yes, I really appreciate that the doctor at the dr's office didn't even come in to see me. The nurse went and told him what I said (and wrote, I couldn't really talk) and sent her back to say he can't help and go to the ER. The dr's office was a $25 copay. 5 1/2 hours at the ER and a 10 consultation with the doctor there turned in to 2 simple (but remarkable PAINFUL) shots, subscriptions and $300!! 10 minutes looking at what the ER dr looked at (my throat) and it could have saved me a day and $275.

I'm glad the ER dr was so nice and knew immediately what it was and I'm grateful to already feel so much better today. I'm really annoyed at the doctor at the dr's office.

Yes, I really appreciate that the doctor at the dr's office didn't even come in to see me. The nurse went and told him what I said (and wrote, I couldn't really talk) and sent her back to say he can't help and go to the ER. The dr's office was a $25 copay. 5 1/2 hours at the ER and a 10 consultation with the doctor there turned in to 2 simple (but remarkable PAINFUL) shots, subscriptions and $300!! 10 minutes looking at what the ER dr looked at (my throat) and it could have saved me a day and $275.

I'm glad the ER dr was so nice and knew immediately what it was and I'm grateful to already feel so much better today. I'm really annoyed at the doctor at the dr's office.

People get very nervous about compromising airways. If you had had epiglottitis, you really wouldn't want anyone messing around in your throat unless they were prepared to intubate.

They did it that way for your safety.

I get uvulitis fairly regularly. Not super often, but regularly. The first time it happened, I was very freaked out, but it helps now to know that that is just what it is. I took steroids the first time to reduce the swelling, but that's been the only time that has seemed necessary. As uncomfortable as it is, it tends to go away in a day or two. :grouphug: That sounds scary and annoyingly expensive (even if for a good reason). I hope you feel better.