Menu

For those who stock up on goods/groceries

Where do you store it all? My house is small and so far I've been able to just keep the things where they normally go. But today I bought some stuff that won't fit in our pantry, so I'm getting creative. But I'm just curious if others have cool places like a huge pantry or a large cabinet. I have space in my linen closet but it seems kind of weird to put groceries in there!

My extras go in the linen closet. We store our water and drinks in my master closet (on the floor) during summer months (April-October). We can't store any food or anything in plastic bottles in the garage in the summer. The rest of the year, that's where it lives. We also have a stand up freezer in the garage. I do have a good size pantry though.

We re-purpose closets. The kids' closets are for their own personal clothes and toys. The "coat closet" is a laundry room. Our his and hers closets in the master bedroom do double duty for linens and miscellaneous stuffs. The master bathroom stores all of the bathroom supplies and general cleaning supplies. We don't have a garage, basement, or attic.

There's a single closet in our loft that is surprisingly large. We store winter items on the far ends and put two shelving units in the middle to hold the grocery stockpile, as well as other rarely used items like my giant roasting pan and the ice cream ball.

Just because an area is CALLED a certain type of area doesn't mean it HAS TO BE used as such. ;)

I have bottles of water under the coffee table, which is currently against a wall and serving as a tv stand. In my old condo I stored food and kitchen items in what was probably intended to be some kind of hall/coat closet. Paper towels generally get stored in the laundry area. Toilet paper has found space in the bathrooms fortunately, but if I had to I'd store it in a bedroom closet.

In this house I have a spare room that is really just a glorified three season porch. If I needed to I'd store canned goods there.

"The Tightwad Gazette" lady Amy Dacyzyn (I think I spelled that right) reminds her readers that the space under the bed is perfect for storing canned tuna.

We have 2 closets in our bedroom. Recently, I moved my clothes into dh's closet. We went to Ikea and bought a whole bunch of shelving for my closet. I'm amazed at how much food fits in there. And now my pantry is empty enough that I can actually find what I'm looking for.

I chose my bedroom closet b/c it's the coolest room in our house. I had planned on using our laundry room (right next to the kitchen), but the dyer really heats it up in there, and I'm concerned about things spoiling more quickly in the heat.

Our coat closet has a shelf above that is used as pantry. My laundry closet (no, it doesn't qualify as a room) also stores non-food items such as freezer paper. Bathroom vanities store TP and paper towels. Basement stairwell stores rice, potatoes in burlap sacks that hang from pegs.